Microcenter and their pricing online

sanders4617

Weaksauce
I've read where people will say that Microcenter will actually have different prices in store vs what their website says.. I live about 2 hours from the closest Microcenter, so thought about heading over and checking it out.. what is everyone's experience with MC and do their prices online reflect in store?

I'm looking at GTX 1080/1080ti

I have found that the price you find online may not be posted on the product in the store, but the price online is the correct price, and will ring up as such at the register.

I was there last week (Ohio) and the cards were just as expensive. All they had were four 1080TI's all at mining prices.

Thanks guys. I'm just gonna be patient and wait for the right deal to come along. I see them, but just gotta be on my toes and snag it right away if that's what I want. Just had to take a few weeks to feel out what's a good deal and what's just normal.

Personally, I would not trust their pricing to be consistent.

Back in January I stopped by my local MC to pick up a spinner drive and saw 1080 ti behind glass for $899. The sales flier I brought home said same. Few days later price on exact same card listed on webpage were $1,400 and the hundreds of fliers on rack at entrance disappeared. Another member here had same experience in whole other region.

I live close to 3 microcenters... I went to one to return something that I bought and I was behind a guy that was returning a build, minus a gpu. He even said out loud "$1k for a 1080 ti? Yeah right.." they took the build back. I asked the CS dude since I was next and he said that they sell the cards at MSRP when you buy a whole PC, otherwise, you pay the mining prices. But he said that dozens of people have been returning builds minus the cards.

This is at the Rockville, MD microcenter.

So eh.

I live close to 3 microcenters... I went to one to return something that I bought and I was behind a guy that was returning a build, minus a gpu. He even said out loud "$1k for a 1080 ti? Yeah right.." they took the build back. I asked the CS dude since I was next and he said that they sell the cards at MSRP when you buy a whole PC, otherwise, you pay the mining prices. But he said that dozens of people have been returning builds minus the cards.

This is at the Rockville, MD microcenter.

So eh.

They should only take the return when the system is returned as a whole... I applaud what they are trying to do, but it doesn’t work if they take all the non gpu stuff back a few days later.

They should only take the return when the system is returned as a whole... I applaud what they are trying to do, but it doesn’t work if they take all the non gpu stuff back a few days later.

Miners wonder why we hate them so much.

As someone said, price online is the correct price and this will be the price at checkout.

However, there was one instance the price sticker on the item in store was cheaper than what was posted online. The cashier honored the price of the item on the box and I bought it.

To that end, there may be difference between online and in store prices.

I never had an experience where the price was different on-line vs in-store. I always search micro center refurbished/returns first online and then go in store.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I had only asked because I had read reading forums where people said Micro Center wouldn't advertise their lower price online during this inflated GPU period. Good to have some ground truth about that.

Well this is a bunch of horse shit. I saw a youtuber that just said that if MC will sell you a video card if you can prove its for gaming, or buy some parts, like a motherboard, ram, etc.

This crap is way out of control, and its everyone's fault!

Miner's because they caused the shortage.
AMD & Nvidia for not ramping up production.
Retailers for being greedy assholes.

I called MC, and asked about this policy. I said if you can prove that its for a gaming PC, would they sell the Asus 1080ti for MSRP. She said "we had that policy for a while, but now we had to stop due to demand".
I told her that is not acceptable and why are they ripping people off? She proceeded to hand up on me.

WTF I'm boycotting MC right now, I will never spend another dime in there store, and I spend quit a bit of money every year at Micro rippoff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50Cal
like this
Well this is a bunch of horse shit. I saw a youtuber that just said that if MC will sell you a video card if you can prove its for gaming, or buy some parts, like a motherboard, ram, etc.

I called MC, and asked about this policy. I said if you can prove that its for a gaming PC, would they sell the Asus 1080ti for MSRP. She said "we had that policy for a while, but now we had to stop due to demand".
I told her that is not acceptable and why are they ripping people off? She proceeded to hand up on me.

WTF I'm boycotting MC right now, I will never spend another dime in there store, and I spend quit a bit of money every year at Micro rippoff.

their store their card their rules.

I no longer purchase parts through micro center and rely mostly on amazon/newegg now. I had a 10k customer build that required two 1080Ti's, when they refused to work with me on the price (they were selling them for 1600 a piece). I told them that i would be returning the parts for that build and other parts for a future upcoming build i was prepping for. At first they thought i was bluffing till i came back an hour later and started loading up carts. The manager then came out and said that they would sell them to me at MSRP but i declined because it should have never gone this far. For me its MSRP or fuck off. I told the manager that i will no longer work with them and switch to online retailers for all future builds. The guys at BYOC know i average about 1-2 builds a month and weren't too happy about the loss in commision.

And honestly no one should support this place anyway. They pay their workers below minimum wage and expect them to make it up via commision. This has always made my shopping experience all the more worse. Because some of the byoc guys literally get into arguements on who gets commision off of me each time i come in. I get that they are trying to earn more money, but it frustrates me to have to see it/deal with it and technically all im doing is promoting such shitty pay tactics by shopping their.

I used to work at Fry's back in my college days and it was the same shit. That and they would threaten to fire you if you didn't get enough people each week to sign up for their Fry's scam cards.

Good ol Capitialism

Last edited:
So those boycotting MC because they would try to sell to some people at MSRP won't be buying from Newegg, AZ, et. al,. either since they don't event try to give MSRP prices to anyone?!?!?

I mean, really, Get a grip. There is an unadvertised program where they will sell you something below listing price, and you complain that you have to go through some hoops to get it? Go ahead and pay full current prices at the egg and the river, because you know they won't ever budge on the listing price, no matter how much you ask.

I live 10 minutes from a Microcenter depending on traffic.

Their online / in-store pricing absolutely ... does ... not ... matter.

They price match.

Those of you not price matching are doing it wrong. Again, ignore any of their pricing.

I've price matched part after part after part .... after part at Microcenter. I do not know how much money I've spent there but it's triple what I've spent at newegg and I've spent over $250,000+ dollars at newegg. I think I have almost 30+ pages of invoices on newegg.

Go there, buy what you want and simply price match with Amazon, BH Photo, Newegg, Bestbuy etc etc, However, they have to be real legit prices for in-stock items and not bs shady websites. Do do not go there and act dumb. They will tell you no. Also, if the item is below their cost, they will tell you no. Also, consider being nice to everyone, get to know the guys. Don't be a douche and price match to save $1 or 2$ dollars. I found being cool with these people goes a long long way.

It's rare that this happen but I have caught Best Buy with killer hard-drive deals that Microcenter cannot match. It's always the hard-drive it seems.

Last edited:
Back