Microcenter and the nVidia GTX 2080 / 2080 Ti. Reddit Information.

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness

Not taking any chances. Depending on how tomorrows nVidia event goes I will absolutely be waiting inline from about 4am til they open at 10pm. Just like I did with the 1080 Ti.

Really, why? There aren't even any good 4k gaming monitors yet. It's not worth it.

The generation of GPUs after this one should be pretty nice. There should actually be some monitors that can take advantage of them then.

Really, why? There aren't even any good 4k gaming monitors yet. It's not worth it.

The generation of GPUs after this one should be pretty nice. There should actually be some monitors that can take advantage of them then.

4K? I can't even get acceptable performance at 2560 x 1440 in some titles at the graphics level I want with the current generation of GPUs.

Yes there are.

Right? If there is a graphics option, I want it maxed (other that stupid stuff like motion blur). I want my murderfest to be pretty dagnabbit!!1! (get off my lawn)

Plenty of 60hz, and the new 144hz ones are pricey but kick ass by owner accounts rather than forum trolls spewing profanities.

The pricing on PNY site was obviously placeholder. No need to gloat, in various threads, because it won't be $1k. You must be new to computers to believe that.

Right? If there is a graphics option, I want it maxed (other that stupid stuff like motion blur). I want my murderfest to be pretty dagnabbit!!1! (get off my lawn)
Me too but honestly, some high settings are indistinguishable even in screenshots (or only barely). That said I have a 2080ti to be ordering this week ;) I game at 4k.

Generally if my local Microcenter has something in the back, they'd get it for me if I'd ask. I want to say that my local one had the i7 5775C out on the shelves a few days before launch.

Plenty of 60hz, and the new 144hz ones are pricey but kick ass by owner accounts rather than forum trolls spewing profanities.

The pricing on PNY site was obviously placeholder. No need to gloat, in various threads, because it won't be $1k. You must be new to computers to believe that.

The 144hz ones are tiny dog shit. 27". Give me a break.

We had to purchase the building across the street just so we could project something of worthy size.

With that said, our phones are a real pain to carry.

27" isn't small for a 4:3 aspect ratio, but the height of 27" 16:9 monitors is a joke.

Anything under 50" is tiny bro. TINY.

Word. .... love my 49" KS8000 .... amazing amazing screen, performance and size. I'm totally fine with 60hz .... as long as my new 2080 ti can push 4K@60FPS@Ultra Settings

Reactions: amenx
like this
I had a 27" monitor, then at work they gave me dual 24" monitors and realized they're perfect for me so I bought one for myself.... If I had a console, and actually watched TV on my own, I would have a 50+ inch TV...

My 55" LG B7 4K is aching to stretch its legs. Been gaming with the GTX 970 and most older games struggle to hit 30 fps locked at maxed settings without AA and lowest draw distance. Overwatch is an exception, but dropping in the RTX 2080 TI and eventually upgrading the rest of the system to an i9 9900K should do nicely to help out with the frame discrepancy to get a 60 fps lock.

The last time Walmart had a lineup for stuff was the NES Classic last year or two years ago already.

Good size for a 16:9 monitor is very subjective. It also depends on how far away you sit from your monitor. To me the sweet spot is 32". But for someone else they might like a larger monitor, but at a certain point you might have to rely too much on peripheral vision to see everything on screen at once.

Last edited:
Generally if my local Microcenter has something in the back, they'd get it for me if I'd ask. I want to say that my local one had the i7 5775C out on the shelves a few days before launch.

Might want to ask then. The AIB 2080's are slated to launch tomorrow 9/20 with the 2080ti's on the 27th - according to Microcenter anyway.

edit : Assumed the month, woops. Perhaps just placeholders, but the model's dates are consistent across vendors.

Last edited:

Tell that to all the Oculus Rift/HTC Vive/Samsung Odyssey owners out there. VR demands for a minimum 90 FPS at all times are not easily sated, and Timewarp/Spacewarp/Reprojection kicking in is the most jarring thing when you see the framerate suddenly halve to 45 FPS.

These are the cards I've been waiting for to replace my GTX 980 with, especially with all the talk of VirtualLink outputs for future HMDs. That card is adequate enough for 1080p120, but once I start talking VR, it feels rather... marginal.

Tell that to all the Oculus Rift/HTC Vive/Samsung Odyssey owners out there. VR demands for a minimum 90 FPS at all times are not easily sated, and Timewarp/Spacewarp/Reprojection kicking in is the most jarring thing when you see the framerate suddenly halve to 45 FPS.

These are the cards I've been waiting for to replace my GTX 980 with, especially with all the talk of VirtualLink outputs for future HMDs. That card is adequate enough for 1080p120, but once I start talking VR, it feels rather... marginal.

To be fair, even though 4k at high framerates is a niche thing today, but VR is a niche of a niche. There's basically no market for it.

Not everyone cares about 4k.

I run 7680x1440 on some games and 2560x1440 on others.

While NV surround could always use more GPU power, there are plenty of games that don't break 100fps on just a single screen.

I'll be watching the new cards closely.

Links aren't clickable on the site, but it's very telling that retailer is even showing it in their suggestions on search. Maybe AIB cards will be day and date with the Founder's Edition cards this time.

SOURCE:

Attachments

• rrdrdxjk94h11.png
    rrdrdxjk94h11.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 109
To be fair, even though 4k at high framerates is a niche thing today, but VR is a niche of a niche. There's basically no market for it.
Tell that to all the cockpit sim enthusiasts out there. You know, the kinda guys who sink thousands into custom simpits - surplus military sticks and throttles, direct-drive FFB wheels that cost as much as low-end used cars by themselves, that sorta thing.

There's no way in hell I'd play DCS World or IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad without VR at this point. The monitor + TrackIR experience is too unimmersive by comparison. Hell, it makes it hard to go back to Falcon BMS at this point, and it's also a reason a lot of people pick Elite: Dangerous over Star Citizen at this point. (Maybe Starfighter, Inc. too, once that gets finished up.)

As for something more motorsporty, there's always DiRT Rally or Richard Burns Rally with that OpenVR mod I stumbled upon. Some say they feel genuine fear when hooning it through those rough, tight tracks in VR flat-out, and I can't blame 'em given how close they are to wrapping their prized ride around a tree, even virtually.

It probably reinforces your "niche of a niche" point, since those were never mainstream genres to begin with... but then you also look at the tried-and-true FPS, being able to do things in Pavlov VR (for example) that you could never do with just a keyboard and mouse. Shoot two different people at the same time with akimbo guns? Check! Steal the magazine right out of an opponent's gun? Check! Go through actual reloading procedures without the mega-kludge that is Receiver's interface? Double-check!

Or, heck, melee combat, which tends to be a bit unsatisfying in games that aren't Die By The Sword... until GORN came along, anyway. Now it's like having two-handed VSIM without any of the kludge, and all of the physics-based goodness that entails.

The bigger downside with VR, now that I think about it, isn't the cost of the HMD and controllers, or even the cost of a computer good enough to drive said HMD with - it's the size of your room outside of cockpit sim experiences. I barely have enough space to walk around the computer room without risking hitting something, especially in GORN where people have been known to smack stuff with their controllers in their VR play areas. Light figures, desks, monitors, the works.

You might be able to get away with an expensive new graphics card for an expensive new graphics card, but good luck landing another house and a new mortgage!

I can't even get 4k 60FPS in everything. If the marketing is saying 100 I'd expect a proper steady 60 finally being available.

Back