Microcenter: 5950X $499.99

NattyKathy

[H]ard|Gawd
Marked $519.99 in-store but $499 web price showed up at register. Not bad if yr trying to stretch out yr AM4 platform a bit longer-I picked one up despite Zen4 and Raptor incoming bc I'd rather wait for Zen4 X3D and I'm never early adopting a CPU ever again which puts my DDR5 upgrade timeframe out to next summer/autumn probably. I imagine some of y'all are in the same boat...

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ore-am4-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

Last edited:
I picked one up despite Zen4 and Raptor incoming bc I'd rather wait for Zen4 X3D and I'm never early adopting a CPU ever again which puts my DDR5 upgrade timeframe out to next summer/autumn probably. I imagine some of y'all are in the same boat...

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ore-am4-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included
Sounds like a smart plan. The all-in cost of a 5950X+X570+DDR4 system is going to beat a 7900X/7950X+X670+DDR5 system in performance per dollar.

The early adopter tax looks like it's going to be hefty for the next gen.

Last edited:
Smart plan. The all-in cost of a 5950X+X570+DDR4 system is going to beat a 7900X/7950X+X670+DDR5 system in performance per dollar.

Honestly I wouldn't even go with an x670 system, B650 is more than good enough... but I don't think they're releasing those MBs initially, they want to get their expensive stuff out first.

That's... Amazing. You could grab this, a good board and a 6700 XT for UNDER a grand right now. Throw it into an existing case + PSU with some RAM and you're sailing...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like a smart plan. The all-in cost of a 5950X+X570+DDR4 system is going to beat a 7900X/7950X+X670+DDR5 system in performance per dollar.

Right, that was my thinking. $500 for a drop-in to max out my AM4 platform versus $900+ for 7900X+mobo+DDR5. And the CPUs I'm really interested in, the X3D ones, don't launch for awhile.

That's... Amazing. You could grab this, a good board and a 6700 XT for UNDER a grand right now. Throw it into an existing case + PSU with some RAM and you're sailing...
Whoa whoa whoa... you forgot an SSD or NVMe... :LOL:

Pretty amazing what you get around the 1k mark now.

Yeah its a good time to build or upgrade if you don't want/need to wait a bit longer to pay for the privilege of having latest kit. I picked up a 3090Ti (also at MC) recently for a steep discount so I can put away thoughts of entering the scrum for RTX 4000 and wait a year+ till one can leisurely pick up a 4090 or 7900XT at below MSRP with mature yields and drivers.

Last edited:
Honestly I wouldn't even go with an x670 system, B650 is more than good enough... but I don't think they're releasing those MBs initially, they want to get their expensive stuff out first.
Agreed, Xx70 is for people who need the I/O. Absolutely zero difference if you don't need to have a bunch of devices on the chipset lanes. I have an X570 board for a secondary system that does vid capture but my main rig is B550 and I'm missing nothing I need. Seems like B650/X670 will be the same situation as long as AMD still allows full tuning/overclocking on B-series.

Price will keep falling and Ill bet you can get a used one on here once the upgrades start.

5800x3D is the better deal IMO if your doing more gaming vs Production workloads

BB had both the 5900 and the 5950.... The latter was $160 more (they price matched). I ended up getting the 5900 and upgraded my 7-3700x. A part of me wishes I got the 5950... but for what I do, the extra cost probably wouldn't have been worth it. (Moderate work, gaming and light photo editing.) I don't mess with Premier, Blender etc.

There is nothing wrong with the 5900x. Solid chip with plenty of cores
100%.

I was chatting with someone at work who said, I'd be "future proofing" if I went with the 5950. I think the same about the 5900. I'm happy with it.

100%.

I was chatting with someone at work who said, I'd be "future proofing" if I went with the 5950. I think the same about the 5900. I'm happy with it.

I only upsold myself to a 5950x because of UHD HEVC Handbrake encoding, otherwise the original plan was a 5900x to use for 5+ years/as long as I can

I'm more than happy with my X570 / 5950X system and I don't actually feel a need to upgrade to AM5, and I do a fair amount of work that actually uses all 32 cores (and all 24 PCI-E lanes) pretty often.

The more I read these replies, the more I'm contemplating returning the 5900 and getting the 5950... ;-)

If I was still doing video and heavy photo editing, then I would have gone with the 5950...

I did think about going AM5, but the cost/benefit ratio [for me] just wasn't there.

The more I read these replies, the more I'm contemplating returning the 5900 and getting the 5950... ;-)

If I was still doing video and heavy photo editing, then I would have gone with the 5950...

I did think about going AM5, but the cost/benefit ratio [for me] just wasn't there.
Honestly not worth the hassle IMO but hey go for it. 5950x is such a sweet chip for production workloads

Marked $519.99 in-store but $499 web price showed up at register. Not bad if yr trying to stretch out yr AM4 platform a bit longer-I picked one up despite Zen4 and Raptor incoming bc I'd rather wait for Zen4 X3D and I'm never early adopting a CPU ever again which puts my DDR5 upgrade timeframe out to next summer/autumn probably. I imagine some of y'all are in the same boat...

Sounds good, but I think I will wait until it's almost free. Already have a 5900x. The way prices have been dropping o n the AMD stuff, it may very well be more like a five finger discount in a few months.

Dammit. I will not replace my x399 box with this. I will not replace my x399 box with this. I will not replace my x399 box with this.

A 5950x for $499 is as cheap as Amazon ever sold it, but not the cheapest, I believe, that Microcenter has.

Im planning out my upgrade from a 3900X this holiday season, hopefully we will see some really good prices. I was planning on going with a 5900X, but obviously if the 5950X is cheap enough I may go with that and max out my x570 board.

Im planning out my upgrade from a 3900X this holiday season, hopefully we will see some really good prices. I was planning on going with a 5900X, but obviously if the 5950X is cheap enough I may go with that and max out my x570 board.
Go for the 5950x IMO if you plan to buy around BF/XMAS time

100%.

Whenever someone tells you that you'll be "future proofing" (and they're not paying for the stuff) just quietly put them into your "don't take advise from this guy" category.

Whenever someone tells you that you'll be "future proofing" (and they're not paying for the stuff) just quietly put them into your "don't take advise from this guy" category.
I don't see buying a 5950x as future proofing either. Games benefit more from ipc and speed then they do cores when it comes to games. No game is ever going to take advantage of 32 threads. At least not before the 5950x is so old it has become irrelevant. I was fully aware I would never put my 5959x to full use. I just wanted it.

I don't see buying a 5950x as future proofing either. Games benefit more from ipc and speed then they do cores when it comes to games. No game is ever going to take advantage of 32 threads. At least not before the 5950x is so old it has become irrelevant.

yeah asking for way too much efficiency and optimization there with that lol

haha solid advice.

Believe me I have thought about it (switching to the 5950) but at the end of the day I figured I wouldn't gain any day to day benefits- not for what I do.

I've been playing Elden Ring maxed out and my system has been handling everything really well. What more can I ask for?

I don't see buying a 5950x as future proofing either. Games benefit more from ipc and speed then they do cores when it comes to games. No game is ever going to take advantage of 32 threads. At least not before the 5950x is so old it has become irrelevant. I was fully aware I would never put my 5959x to full use. I just wanted it.

Yeah same here too, I will never use it to the fullest either. But it is the best the platform will take, and I always tried on all my builds to get the best cpu I can that the mobo will support....because reasons. Yeah and future proofing is BS anyway, well maybe except the 1080Ti...that card is an exception though.

I tend to because mine become servers or other devices later on - and more cores gives me more options there. I'd do this, but... x399 gives me a lot of PCIE slots, and I'm already using 3 today (with 2 spare). GPU, SATA controller, 10G nic, and I can toss in more drive controllers if needed. But... if I got an x570 board WITH a 10g card...

I tend to because mine become servers or other devices later on - and more cores gives me more options there. I'd do this, but... x399 gives me a lot of PCIE slots, and I'm already using 3 today (with 2 spare). GPU, SATA controller, 10G nic, and I can toss in more drive controllers if needed. But... if I got an x570 board WITH a 10g card...

It may be cheaper to get a thunderbolt board and use a thunderbolt to 10GbE adaptor. That's what I use on my NUC for Plex, with a 10GbE NAS.

It may be cheaper to get a thunderbolt board and use a thunderbolt to 10GbE adaptor. That's what I use on my NUC for Plex, with a 10GbE NAS.
True; although since I tend to make them into ESXi hosts eventually that gets fuzzier.

Wow.. I have been slowly buying hardware to build a new machine... TT Tower 900, 1300w evga ps, ssd drives, memory....
i have been trying to figure out... do i buy an intel or amd.. i am an intel guy... wait till releases of new for price drops or buy now..
you just made things harder for me now!!!! lol...

True; although since I tend to make them into ESXi hosts eventually that gets fuzzier.

Aquantia released drivers for their cards: https://williamlam.com/2019/04/new-thunderbolt-3-to-10gbe-options-for-esxi.html. Depends on how many ports you need too, but I don't think any boards have more than 1 onboard currently. MC still has the Asus B550 Creator ProArt in stock and it looks like a decent board for the price with expandability and it at least has dual 2.5GbE onboard. You do give up some 4.0 lanes for 3.0 with the B550 chipset over the X570 though if that's important to you.

There's a MicroCenter Facebook Ad for another $25 off any AMD or Intel CPU, that should drop the price on these to $475+tax, same for the 12900K.

Wow.. I have been slowly buying hardware to build a new machine... TT Tower 900, 1300w evga ps, ssd drives, memory....
i have been trying to figure out... do i buy an intel or amd.. i am an intel guy... wait till releases of new for price drops or buy now..
you just made things harder for me now!!!! lol...

I feel like you're a sympathetic Stormtrooper.

Just... take our hand and join us. Fight the darkness.

Back