Microcenter 200 dollar Q6600

I notice MC at Tustin, CA has about 20 Q6600 in stock today.
Most of them are L745B049 with 1/02/08 pack date, and there are also one or two L745A793, L745A871, and L744A469 in the cabinet.

All gone exept one L745B049 and one L745A871 as of 10:30AM PST.

I should've picked up the L744A469. It's a misterious batch. I couldn't find any information on that batch at all, but I had a feeling that it's an awesome overclocker.

I decided I couldnt keep mine, I cant really justify dropping 800.00 on a new system to just play wow. If anyone is still looking for one pm me.

d.

Anyone get one from the north jersey store lately? I am planning on going tomorrow morning to pick one up, but I hope they don't try that bait and switch saying I have to buy it bundled.

Hi,

Anyone get one from the north jersey store lately? I am planning on going tomorrow morning to pick one up, but I hope they don't try that bait and switch saying I have to buy it bundled.

Depends on the floor guy. Some don't care others do since they make commission on the sale. Read the last 10 pages for all the tricks. They just want to upsell you something you don t need unless you need a new MB. Floor guy I got was very pushy and several others got the same guy. However, they must sell it to you since there is no mention on the web site and the CS reps say it can be sold without bundle.

later,
shaggy

Went to the Paterson store last week and the only thing my guy tried to push was the $25.00 protection plan.
I did buy a sound card and a game though.

if they get pushy .. tell them u called the 1800 number and the reps told you that the price is still 199 and you can buy them seperately .. and when you are telling them that .. be like .. i drove 40 min because i was told i could purchase one .. and trust me u will get one

Weird, they weren't pushy at all in the MN store. I told the guy I wanted one and he walked me over to the case and got me one and never said another word about buying anything else...

therye jerks at the west paterson store. the one idiot there was criticizing me becuaase I wanted a P5K-E and not a regular P5K. he most likely did that all cause he needed some more commission. what a faggot.

therye jerks at the west paterson store. the one idiot there was criticizing me becuaase I wanted a P5K-E and not a regular P5K. he most likely did that all cause he needed some more commission. what a faggot.

Didn't run across the bullying, but I did get a P5k. So far...less than thrilled. The damn IDE connecter is in the most useless place EVER! And I'm not ditching two perfectly good optical drives because of Asus' boneheaded error.

All in all, not a bad upgrade from a Brisbane. ~3.2ghz right now, a good 125% oc. Don't want to push it higher than 1.3v though.

yea they are like that depending on who helps you .. when i bought my 8400 i had no issues .. just asked for it and they walk you up front with it .. when i went for my q6600 i got all that crap attitude

How can I tell what stepping I have without opening up my system?

(Yes yes noob question, but I'm allowed 1 per weekend.)

Hi,

How can I tell what stepping I have without opening up my system?

(Yes yes noob question, but I'm allowed 1 per weekend.)

Your friend CPU-Z will lead you on to a path of enlightment. Your machine will be set free from the bonds that is unholy :)

shaggy

Just bought one at Richardson, TX store on Springvalley.. They still have some left.. all SLACR.

Just picked one up at Westont, IL for $215 with tax out the door. They had about 30 in stock.

When I was @ MicroCenter, I asked MavAlpha that very same question in case the CPU did not meet to my expectations.

He told me that you're basically SOL in trying to return open-box items for $$$ refund. You may however, return it under the premise that the item is 'defective' or DOA, but it would be for a similar item. So they may not accept returning an E8400 you bought a weeka go for $ to buy a Q6600 (however, I may be wrong and overstated)

Has anyone ever had problems returning open CPUs to microcenter?

Just purchased @ MicroCenter in Richardson, TX. They had the Q6600s in a glass case new the BYOPC area and I think I could have rummaged around looking for the right stepping had I known what to be looking for but I didn't. They had about 1/3 of the case full of Q6600s - probably 20 or 30 in there.

I just looked at the chip, saw it said SLACR and figured hey I have no clue so whatever. :)

Grrr.....couldn't resist. :( :confused: ;)

Got the Q6600 with the core that Xstremesystems.org apparently has had good results with (G0, SLACR, L737B, packed Nov 2007), the eVGA 780i board, 2GB XMS2 since they were out of the Dominator and any other higher-end RAM, a Zalman 9700 and an Antec 650 Trio power supply since my TrueControl is old enough to not have any of the proper connectors, but has much better amperage on all the rails :mad: Meh. $791 later and I've got it together and am transferring data to a new drive so this can be an almost totally new build.

Meh. Probably shouldn't have done it, but it's all together and I have some tweaking to do... Already had it at 3.6Ghz for an hour or so before it crashed while I was doing a bunch of tests. Back to stock until I really have a clue as to what the hell I'm doing. I've been running AMD since '97-98 and have never built an Intel machine for myself.

I ran into the person who bought the L744A469 from Tustin MC, and it turned out to be a so so overclocker. It needs 1.50V to do 3.6Ghz.

I just looked at the chip, saw it said SLACR and figured hey I have no clue so whatever. :)

Heh, I did the same thing. Just checked for SLACR and I was off!

Now, I'm a noob to C2Q's, but unless you're going for a record OC, generally any SLACR will be ok. I've got a L744B, and it's up to [email protected]. If I had better cooling, I could go higher. If you're having stability issues, up the volts. Just make sure you've got some good cooling and you shouldn't have an issue.

Anyone know if the sale is still going on? The advertisement for the sale is still up on their website but I just want to make sure before I drive from NJ all the way to their store.

well, no one can be certain... I don't know why you wouldn't call the store nearest you yourself.

I just did 3 times and no one picked up. I called the one in PA. I want to pick this up today because I'm busy on weekdays and it's probably a 45 minute drive there and another 45 minutes back.

It's only a 50 dollar savings cvinh, are you sure you want to waste gas + time just to save $50 dollars?

that's a very subjective question.

If one makes $50 a day $6 an hour times 8 hours a day =$48 dollar - he has to work an entire day so yes he won't mind driving 2 hours to save a day's wages

If one makes $50 an hour then no of course it doesn't make sense. I'm cheap and time on the weekends is largely free - so I'd probably drive myself an hour and a half total to save $50 bucks.

Two hours of driving at say, 55MPH on the highway or freeway.

Average car gets between 18-25MPG. So we're talking 5-6 gallons of gas, at 3.50+ a gallon. Twenty bucks in gas alone.

Went to the Richardson, TX store yesterday.... 5 in stock according to the salesman, 4 going into store-built systems, 1 was missing. Will try calling in a couple of days to see if they get a restock. If anyone in the DFW area happens to drop by, check on the inventory levels... don't want to drive out there unless I have to. :)

Hi,

Chances are that stock will be replenished by 45nm parts. IOW, once they are gone, that's all folks. I am sure there will be a price drop on other websites on the 65NM Quads unless you really want the 45 NM parts. Since none of us really want the next best thing around here.... :)

Besides isn't it March 17th when the 45nm CPUs are officially released in full force or is it just the Quad versions tomorrow?

shaggy

that's a very subjective question.

If one makes $50 a day $6 an hour times 8 hours a day =$48 dollar - he has to work an entire day so yes he won't mind driving 2 hours to save a day's wages

If one makes $50 an hour then no of course it doesn't make sense. I'm cheap and time on the weekends is largely free - so I'd probably drive myself an hour and a half total to save $50 bucks.

You're talking about $10 in tax, $20 in gas. So you save $20 for driving a few hours.

I'd spend that $20 and spend it enjoying my time off if it meant that much.

Then again if he was visiting relatives, then I can see why it would be worth it!

Looks like Richardson, TX is back in stock. I called this afternoon, salesman wouldn't tell me exactly how many were in stock, but when I pressed him, it was over 100. Grab em boys! I'm going back tomorrow to pick up another one :)

I bought 2 Q6600 CPUs and 2 EVGA 650i MBs ... Waiting for a raincheck on 2 750GB drives!

Still plenty left in the Cambridge MA Microcenter (144 at least listed on the sheet I got to bring to merchandise pickup), I just got one tonight. Talked to the salesman and he told me he asked the suppliers to only send them the G0 steppings, and the one I got looks to be a G0 also. :D I love new toys.

MAVALPHA PMed me, the Seagate (probably Barracuda .10 drives) 750GB drives are in stock @ the NJ MC. $129 if you pair it with a MOBO or CPU purchase!

I bought 2 Q6600 CPUs and 2 EVGA 650i MBs ... Waiting for a raincheck on 2 750GB drives!

Back