Micro stutter/short freezes when I play games on my HDD HGST Travelstar 7K1000

Ericone

n00b
Hey guys, I have a laptop (MSI GE73VR 7RF 058NE Raider) and I have some short freezes/stutters when I play some games on my hard drive. It is a mechanical drive,
a HGST Travelstar 7K1000 HTS721010A9E630 32MB 1TB.

Do you know what the problem might be? I'm certain it is the hard drive because the problem disappears when I install the games on another hard drive on the same laptop.
It also doesn't happen in all games, which is strange, but it happens in many games enough that it is clearly something with the hard drive. It is strange because Doom Eternal works flawlessly while smaller games/indie titles get freezes, especially when loading sound effects.

I have defragmented and error checked the drive in Windows 10 (with the included tools). Nothing so far.

EDIT: The drive is a 7200 rpm btw :)

swap in an SSD... they're cheap enough at this point, and that will likely solve the problem.

Try using CrystalDiskInfo to see the status of the drive. If it says any status other than Good swap it out.

I'm certain it is the hard drive because the problem disappears when I install the games on another hard drive on the same laptop.
probably just because you are getting the files off the operating drive. if you have two hdds in a laptop, you should really replace the os drive with a ssd. theyre cheap now.

Maybe bad sectors or just the fact that it's too slow to load textures. SSDs have been available for a decade+ and spinning rust is outdated shit, that shouldn't be shipped in a non-budget laptop or PC...

If you are only using say 300GB of the drive and for some bizarre reason you cant swap it for a SSD then maybe short stroke it? That way the data is concentrated on the fastest third of the drive and the drive doesn't have to swipe so far to seek and read.

Before SSDs I used to buy 7200rpm single platter 1TB drives and just shortstroke them to 200GB. As other have mentioned Crystaldisk will give you the info. Also you can adjust the power management. I always slide it to max.

In the power options there is a setting turn off hard disk after x minutes. Maybe try disabling that.

In the power options there is a setting turn off hard disk after x minutes. Maybe try disabling that.
why would that do anything (only relevant if your using XP as that did basically nothing when idle) and a game running would keep a disk from going idle any way

Hey guys, I have a laptop (MSI GE73VR 7RF 058NE Raider) and I have some short freezes/stutters when I play some games on my hard drive. It is a mechanical drive,
a HGST Travelstar 7K1000 HTS721010A9E630 32MB 1TB.

Do you know what the problem might be? I'm certain it is the hard drive because the problem disappears when I install the games on another hard drive on the same laptop.
It also doesn't happen in all games, which is strange, but it happens in many games enough that it is clearly something with the hard drive. It is strange because Doom Eternal works flawlessly while smaller games/indie titles get freezes, especially when loading sound effects.

I have defragmented and error checked the drive in Windows 10 (with the included tools). Nothing so far.

EDIT: The drive is a 7200 rpm btw :)

get a pair of 1TB ssds (2 slots as you said) or 1TB SSD and a 2TB HDD spinner for storage of large files

why would that do anything (only relevant if your using XP as that did basically nothing when idle) and a game running would keep a disk from going idle any way

Maybe in those indie titles it doesn't access it often enough?

Of course you can easily buy your way out of this problem.

For sure get an SSD for your boot drive with a 2nd partition for games you are playing.
Your OS will boot and run like its a new faster computer and game load times will improve substantially.
Thank us all later ;)

Back