Micro-LED Display Boasts of 1 Million Nits Capability

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Jay Bird Display (JBD) has unveiled their new Micro-LED technology that boasts of 5000ppi, and 1 million nits capability on a 2560x1920 device. The CEO suggested uses included integration into sniper scopes where the display would take over the duties of a spotter, lithography, 3D printing, projectors, head up display (HUD) and Augmented Reality (AR). The chips have already been manufactured on a wafer, but the yields need to be increased to meet the $10 - $20 per chip estimated price. Low quantity manufacturing is expected to begin in 2019 and mass production should ramp up in 2020. An explanation of how Micro-LED works can be found here.

So...our boys can stream an episode of family guy while preparing to remove a despot.

True story bought a tactical flashlight I thought hey I can use this. I tired it not even looking directly at the beam but the wall and I was blind for about 2-3 days it was so bright. I took it back the same day...

"Capable," meaning we'll never see products reach it. I would think that anything with that much brightness would burn out one's retinas, anyway.
True story bought a tactical flashlight I thought hey I can use this. I tired it not even looking directly at the beam but the wall and I was blind for about 2-3 days it was so bright. I took it back the same day...
Nn2wW3g0hwDEA.gif

I would have had someone take me to the doctor first, if I was truly blind, and then kept the flashlight and been more careful in the future. But that's just me.

"Capable," meaning we'll never see products reach it. I would think that anything with that much brightness would burn out one's retinas, anyway.

View attachment 85843
Since the definition of a "nit" is candela per square meter, something that small does not have to be especially bright to have a high nit value.

Samsung had this as well but their solution required a lot of power.

Come on cageymaru, Hong Kong Beida Jade Bird Display Limited is the company name. It is in the first five seconds of the video.

Cheaper than DLP as early as 2020...I want this technology yesterday.

Augmented reality really needs an adaptive environmental dimming system to compliment the display for daytime.

As the CTO and CEO pointed out, the demo unit brightness was to show the efficiency and its ability for projection use. The current can always be reduced to accommodate a specified brightness. (edit: i like colors, clarified last line)

Last edited:
Finally approaching the golden era where my television is so bright that I'm more likely to get burn-in on my eyes than the screen

This would easily kill off DLP in mini projectors. TI is the worst when it comes to recycling old junk just because they can.

Oh, projection, was going to say... looking into the sun in a game in hdr 10 is like looking into the real sun as it is.

$10-$20 per chip so they can sell those same chips to consumers as a finished product for a few hundred or thousand :D
1 million nits to sear that lovely 4k+ final image into your brain

Does napkin math:
5,000 ppi @ 4k = 3840 x 2160 = ~0.768" x .432" = ~0.332 square inches

1 Million Nits / Square Meter = 1 Million Nits / 1,550 Square Inches = 645 Nits / Square Inch = ~215 Nits in 0.332 Square Inches

Comparison:
Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor: U2417H = 215 CD / Nits per M^2
~21"x11.75" display = 246.75 Square Inches
246.75 / 1550 = 0.1592 Square Meters
215 Nits / M^2 * 0.1592 M^2 = 34.2 Nits (coming out of a 24" Display)

So..... That sub 1" MicroLED Display puts out 6.5 times the light of a GOOD 24" Dell display. Yeah, you'll go blind.

Edit: Additional Reference points: Galaxy S8 = 1000+ Nits / M^2, iPhone x = 726 Nits / M^2.

Does napkin math:
5,000 ppi @ 4k = 3840 x 2160 = ~0.768" x .432" = ~0.332 square inches

1 Million Nits / Square Meter = 1 Million Nits / 1,550 Square Inches = 645 Nits / Square Inch = ~215 Nits in 0.332 Square Inches

Comparison:
Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor: U2417H = 215 CD / Nits per M^2
~21"x11.75" display = 246.75 Square Inches
246.75 / 1550 = 0.1592 Square Meters
215 Nits / M^2 * 0.1592 M^2 = 34.2 Nits (coming out of a 24" Display)

So..... That sub 1" MicroLED Display puts out 6.5 times the light of a GOOD 24" Dell display. Yeah, you'll go blind.

Edit: Additional Reference points: Galaxy S8 = 1000+ Nits / M^2, iPhone x = 726 Nits / M^2.
Nits / M^2 makes no sense because 1 Nit is 1 candela / M^2. If you want to compare displays, you will have to convert to candela, and even then, the effect on the eye varies by distance, so an apples to apples comparison is difficult.

Back