Micro Center Will Sell You a GPU at MSRP If It’s for Gaming, Not Mining

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In light of the cryptocurrency craze, Micro Center is taking action to help gamers acquire graphics cards at a “discount”: a GPU can be had at "MSRP or close to MSRP" when purchased alongside core components, such as a CPU and motherboard. Some customers say they got a discount even without buying additional parts, however.

Given that pretty much all retail channels are selling graphics cards for huge price hikes, it's nice to see some retailers implement blocks so that gamers can still buy what they need. Both Amazon and Newegg are selling graphics cards for well above MSRP, but right now it looks like Best Buy is still selling cards at either MSRP or close to MSRP.

It sucks there are no Micro Centers in the state of Washington. You'd think they would have one in Western Washington, considering the economy and the average income.

so i can go there buy a pc and still mine you still need or have to have the pc anyway why not :p

Kind sucks that they are tied to buying other components. But something beats nothing

So they are giving you a break if you buy another $500/$1000 worth of components. Wonder how many mobo/processor combos are going to be returned in the near future. I use to work for them in KC a long time ago. Wasn't a bad company to work for, the general manager needed some work but the assistants were always cool.

Some customers say they got a discount even without buying additional parts, however.

Some "customers" were reportedly able to purchase 3-4 GPUs at MSRP by saying "Yo guize, I'm a genuwine PC gamer."

Nice policy Micro Center.

Buy gpu + components, return components, mine mine mine!

Depends on how they ring it up. If they ring up the GPU you want as $999, and then give like a 75% discount on the CPU and motherboard, you'll only get a small amount of money back when you return the CPU or board.

Reactions: Parja
like this
This is probably in response to everyone hating them for putting a 1080 Ti for $1500. It's stupid when in most cases a gamer doesn't usually benefit from a CPU upgrade. So having something like a 2500K is perfectly fine for a 1080 Ti. I really doubt that MicroCenter would actually honor this, especially seeing as people can just put that hardware for sale on Ebay or just return it. This is a PR move and nothing more.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/478540/geforce_gtx_1080_ti_ftw3_gaming_11gb_gddr5x_video_cards

Depends on how they ring it up. If they ring up the GPU you want as $999, and then give like a 75% discount on the CPU and motherboard, you'll only get a small amount of money back when you return the CPU or board.

They aren't smart enough to do that.

Make it a policy for products sold in bundles that if you want to return any of them, you have to return all of them? It would be like buying a sofa with matching coffee table, they came as a set.

Some "customers" were reportedly able to purchase 3-4 GPUs at MSRP by saying "Yo guize, I'm a genuwine PC gamer."

Nice policy Micro Center.
Can I just go there and proclaim I have mad gamer skillz and get a card? Do I have to be a card carrying gamer? Do they come to my house and see if I have "mining software" on my PC and confiscate the card after purchase? Can I proclaim I am a recovering miner and game only now? I mean there is no way a person can game and mine, right? Are there gamer police now? LOLOLOL

At least Microcenter is trying to do something to help the PC gaming market. These video card prices are ridiculous. I cannot wait until cryptocurrency collapses or gets over-regulated by the government.
Wah. Why didn't you mine and make some big bucks?

Quote:

"One representative told us that it might be possible to configure a gaming system through Micro Center's online store and get the discount approved there, but you'd have to pay for it first since it's online, and then call in and have a partial refund given."

Wow, so they going to spy or what or wtf to try to find out? How do they determine that you are a gamer? You just say you are? So a company is discriminating based on a class which is legal except I don't like it. Where does it stop, you know they will try to deny you the refund.

BestBuy is NOT selling at MSRP or close to MSRP at all. Just looked and a PNY GTX 1060 3gb is going for $449. Not even close

In light of the cryptocurrency craze, Micro Center is taking action to help gamers acquire graphics cards at a “discount”: a GPU can be had at "MSRP or close to MSRP" when purchased alongside core components, such as a CPU and motherboard. Some customers say they got a discount even without buying additional parts, however.

Given that pretty much all retail channels are selling graphics cards for huge price hikes, it's nice to see some retailers implement blocks so that gamers can still buy what they need. Both Amazon and Newegg are selling graphics cards for well above MSRP, but right now it looks like Best Buy is still selling cards at either MSRP or close to MSRP.

it is very sad. I hope prices balance out when volta gpu's come out.

I know you guys are going to roast me because I am a miner and this is my first post here..... I've been visiting [H] for 15 years or so and lurking these forums...

This policy at MC is a joke. It helps no one except MC and the scum that cell video cards for 2.5x the price on craigslist.

Just this year I've purchased 42 GPUs at MSRP or very close to it. You have to do the work and find the right prices. MC's policy is making that a lot harder for me, but I'm holding off buying new GPUs until new architectures come out.

My MC video card shelves used to be empty. Now they are full. Where are all the gamers? They are all still playing their games (I'm a gamer too) unwilling to buy a new CPU, memory, and motherboard just for the privilege of getting a video card. This policy won't last long at MC. Soon some executive is going to notice the hit on their bottom line. It turns out it is more profitable to sell me 6 GPUs than it is to sell one of you (or no one) a GPU, processor, motherboard, memory...

Video cards are not scarce because of people like me. They are scarce because ASUS, MSI, EVGA, ... sell cards to mega farms in the bulk. I know a guy that I have actually met in person that buys video cards 1000 cards at a time. He is big time, I am small time. It's his right. He isn't selling drugs. He (and I) are helping to create new ways to transacting business. Crypto is the future. Crypto currencies, commodities, collectables... they are here to say.

When someone steals your gaming rig, I'm not going to say yea, get those gamers. (none of my coins have been taken).

ASUS, MSI, EVGA, .... could all sell more cards if they wanted to. However, they all know that new architectures are coming from both nvidia and amd and they don't want to be left with inventory.

For those of you who think AMD and nvidia don't like miners... take a look at the "compute" setting in your AMD drivers or these special blockchain optimized drivers.

I would love it if there was a larger supply of video cards. I really would. Like I said, I've gotten 42 of them just this year for near MSRP. I probably tried harder.

I can also tell that a lot of you don't know very much about crypto (some of you do). It would be worth researching this stuff. I know it can be boring, but you have this thing in your office, basement, bedroom that can help you get a little $$$ back and also help us move away from fiat currencies to something more secure.

Let me note that the crypto that was taken in this article wasn't weak, the security provided by the exchange was. Also, the first rule of crypto is to never keep your crypto in an exchange...

I am not a crypto expert, but I do know a fair share including how to get started, what the real ROI is, what taxes you HAVE to pay! Let me know if you have questions...

This is sort of true, you need to buy a motherboard and RAM too, so pretty much build a new PC. I mean it is better than Newegg's, "here is a crappy monitor to go with that", but not a true MSRP for Video Cards either.

Lol, bundles. It's not as if people just want to upgrade their gpu because their motherboard and cpu are up to the task.
You know who else sells awful bundles? Gamestop. It's a bad practice.

Doing a rebuild today after work. Guy I’m building for had to buy cpu, mobo,ram and power supply to get a 1050ti for 100 dollars less than the current pricing. Cheapest one is 329 so still shafting people pretty hard at 200+ for ANY 1050ti.

Microcenter Cincinnati.

I bought 3 open box 1050ti cards for 3 different builds at 105, 112, and 127 this summer. One Zotac and 2 Evga sc. single fan cards all 3. I kept the Evga cards and glad I did.

Doing a rebuild today after work. Guy I’m building for had to buy cpu, mobo,ram and power supply to get a 1050ti for 100 dollars less than the current pricing. Cheapest one is 329 so still shafting people pretty hard at 200+ for ANY 1050ti.

Microcenter Cincinnati.

I bought 3 open box 1050ti cards for 3 different builds at 105, 112, and 127 this summer. One Zotac and 2 Evga sc. single fan cards all 3. I kept the Evga cards and glad I did.
So he spent an extra $800 dollars to get a new system, he does have that going for him, and Microcenter loves that he dropped cash in their store. Still a lot to drop to save only $100, he could have mined that in 3 weeks.

call your politicians. get them to create a bill against graphics card price gouging.

At least Microcenter is trying to do something to help the PC gaming market. These video card prices are ridiculous. I cannot wait until cryptocurrency collapses or gets over-regulated by the government.
Really. If they don't make a hefty profit at one end, Microcentre will make it at the other end., and not take a hit on a loss. Remember its MSRP, always at the max profit end of the scale. Unless you have the accounting books to see what their price was, means nothing. Its a win win at both ends for them. Relax, take a break, how many miners are there. Reminds me of share price reports. "Brazil has a frost, coffee futures to explode, prices to rise substantially. Meantime store shelves are full of a higher price commodity of last years stock of coffee, while I laugh all the way to the bank.
"or gets over-regulated by the government." Whats with that. you like the government to baby sit you for the rest of your life. You have the power of your wallet, you don't like it, don't buy it, thats power. God gave me brains to use. I don't need government intervention for silly things such as making sure I get a video card. Government has more important things to do wouldn't you say.

Last edited:
I love Microcenter but they are not being truthful. I went there just last night and they told me that a 1080ti WITH builders discount would be between $1,100 and $1,200. Even with a reasonable gouging it should be 900 at most.

Miners are only part of the problem. Scarcity is the other part. Prices could return to normal if AMD and nVidia ramp up production to meet demand.

Reactions: Uncle
like this
There's a Microcenter in Dallas and almost everytime I drive down there from Austin I make the trip just because I love that store so much.

Well, I bought my Vega 56 last October for $469 so I am all set. Guess you guys waited to long.

I see the classic damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Micro Center does something, they are dumb, ripping people off, shit policy etc...

Micro Center does nothing, they should really limit purchases, screw em and miners, why don’t they limit to one gpu per family etc...

I can also tell that a lot of you don't know very much about crypto (some of you do). It would be worth researching this stuff. I know it can be boring, but you have this thing in your office, basement, bedroom that can help you get a little $$$ back and also help us move away from fiat currencies to something more secure.

While I am a miner and like some of your points it’s foolish to think it will replace FIAT and that it is more secure. If that happened, it would be government made/controlled most likely will not happen within i the next couple generations. As for it being more secure, it fluctuates to easily due to manipulation and only a few places might give you back missing/stolen currency.

Wah. Why didn't you mine and make some big bucks?

Because making "big bucks" with cryptocurrency is like becoming a billionaire in Monolopy. You can't spend it on anything. The sheep, however, are enriching those at the top of the pyramid scheme.

speaking as a AVID miner, all ya dumbass miners need to google "firepros"

Believe me, when I get the chance I will go into my local Microcenter and buy a card and when they ask me if the card is being used for gaming or mining I will tell that the miners need to be cursed to the seventh level of hell where the Devil will poke them in the ass with a rusty pitchfork.

Because making "big bucks" with cryptocurrency is like becoming a billionaire in Monolopy. You can't spend it on anything. The sheep, however, are enriching those at the top of the pyramid scheme.

ya can buy anything from newegg, most things on computer fourms. drugs. can easily trade it for cash ect...

At this rate they'll be tying purchases to our SSN/Driver's license in no time.

Wrong.

That's like me saying: "I hope the NFL collapses and goes bankrupt because I don't like sports or how some football games interrupt my favorite shows".

Grow up - this is simple supply and demand economics. With hundreds of billions of dollars involved. I've been in the crypto game for a while and it's the reason I'm paying my house off 25 years early, and getting what amounts to a free Tesla Model 3. In what universe would anyone give that up just so you can play some video games for cheap? Maybe we should regulate certain "hot" items during christmas time too that are in short supply?

For all the bitching I've seen people do, it's always from the people that don't want to do basic math about the possibilities that currently exist. If you wanted a GPU that bad, pay the market price, mine for 30 or 60 days to recoup the "inflated" price aspect then call it quits, you have your GPU, market has it money, win win.

Hell let's go back to absolute basics: you are bitching and complaining about not being able to buy a pure luxury good. How sorry would you feel for me if I show up and start complaining: "I really really want a Ferrari, but I just can't afford the $275,000... I can't wait for the industry to collapse or governments to step in and regulate it so I can finally get my Ferrari"

Back