Micro Center CPU price reductions 2920X $299, 1950X $329, etc.

I’ve got a 6850k overclocked to 4.3Ghz and I’ve been unable to find any validation so far that Ryzen would be a significant improvement. Maybe fourth gen might. What are you seeing that warrant the upgrade, just curious.

IPC seems similar, and core count on the 6850k to this point in time has proven sufficient.
Even the 3600 is a good upgrade and is cheap. I'd like to offload my current x99 setups before their value craters into nothing also. And I'm getiing the itch to build something new :)

I’ve got a 6850k overclocked to 4.3Ghz and I’ve been unable to find any validation so far that Ryzen would be a significant improvement. Maybe fourth gen might. What are you seeing that warrant the upgrade, just curious.

IPC seems similar, and core count on the 6850k to this point in time has proven sufficient.

IPC is hardly all that similar. Ryzen 3000 trades blows on the IPC front with Intel's Core i9 9900K. The only reason why the i9 9900K is faster at some things is largely due to running at considerably higher clock speeds than Ryzen 3000. The Ryzen 9 3900X was considerably faster than the 12c/24t Threadripper 2920X in most tests. Your on Broadwell-E which was no faster than Haswell-E due to reduced overclocking headroom. Sure, you picked up a couple of extra cores but those don't do anything in gaming and only helped in content creation or workstation type applications. The Ryzen 9 3900X has even more cores and tests have shown that even when the core counts are equal, AMD often still has a multi-threaded workload advantage.

IPC is hardly all that similar. Ryzen 3000 trades blows on the IPC front with Intel's Core i9 9900K. The only reason why the i9 9900K is faster at some things is largely due to running at considerably higher clock speeds than Ryzen 3000. The Ryzen 9 3900X was considerably faster than the 12c/24t Threadripper 2920X in most tests. Your on Broadwell-E which was no faster than Haswell-E due to reduced overclocking headroom. Sure, you picked up a couple of extra cores but those don't do anything in gaming and only helped in content creation or workstation type applications. The Ryzen 9 3900X has even more cores and tests have shown that even when the core counts are equal, AMD often still has a multi-threaded workload advantage.

Yeah

No

Let’s get down to brass tacks

6850k at 4.3Ghz gives up how much to the equivalent 3rd gen Ryzen? Basically it’s a wash — Sometimes the Intel chip still comes out a ahead even at 1080p gaming according to the anandtech comparison linked below.

I game at 3440x1440. I won’t see a difference in my primary use case of gaming for sure.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/17.html

1080p
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2364?vs=2519

Last edited:
Yeah

No

6850k at 4.3Ghz gives up how much to the equivalent 3rd gen Ryzen? 15%?

I game at 3440x1440. I won’t see a difference.

Not sure if you will ever see a difference. May be if you Wait ryzen 10.

Yeah

No

6850k at 4.3Ghz gives up how much to the equivalent 3rd gen Ryzen? 15% at 1080p

I game at 3440x1440. I won’t see a difference.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/17.html

This is why you can't trust average frame rate reporting. Yes, the averages between most higher end or modern processors are within a few FPS of each other except at the lowest resolutions. But that doesn't tell the whole story. Destiny 2 is just one example, but it show cases why average frame rates alone can be misleading.

Back