Micro Center 2700X - $139, 3600 - $149 (In-store only)

That in-store only price on the 3600 fixing to make me cry. Wished there was one near me.

I think part of their magic formula for making money is offering building services. It's like going to the movie theater and buying a 7 dollar ticket and then buying one soda for 5 dollars.

I was that way too except AMD reccomends against using air cooling. I think I'm going 3900x when I finally ugrade from my 4770k. Still can't justify it as it games OK as is....
oh? AMD recommends water cooling for one of their processors? That's the AMD I remember! Selling you very affordable frying pans that were great for keeping the house warm!

You're only looking at their loss-leaders. Their prices on most things are pretty much retail.

I was there on a random weeknight recently (Tustin) and their checkout line was a mile long, so they're doing something right.

Fortunately there's still a disconnect with computer parts and buying them online. It feels better going and looking in person and feeling it in your hand.
I think it’s more their prices aren’t inflated over online. You could assemeble a system there and come out even, or ahead of newegg on the total build cost, and like you said — it’s in your hand and available now.

They’ve also done well with developing a strong, cheaper store brand that people like and regularly buy.

However I think its mostly reasonable fair online pricing that keeps them popular.

If they raised their prices 10-15% I believe they’d falter to their online counterparts like Amazon and Newegg.

You're only looking at their loss-leaders. Their prices on most things are pretty much retail.

I was there on a random weeknight recently (Tustin) and their checkout line was a mile long, so they're doing something right.

Fortunately there's still a disconnect with computer parts and buying them online. It feels better going and looking in person and feeling it in your hand.

I do have to admit I've gone in to buy loss leaders & then picked up an extra thing or two at probably retail that I had a short term need for. But if that keeps their cpu prices low, for everyone I don't mind.

I thing this depends on your local taxes. If I buy MC in Chicago it's 10.25%. If i buy newegg it's 6.25%. That is quite a difference when you spend like a grand or more...
I get charged the same 6% from either so it really is no different for me.

Micro center also price match things that are sold/shipped byNewEgg & Amazon, and one gets instant gratification. I tried to buy something from them every time I'm in one. Need to support the last few B&M stores.

PS: YMMV, for those that not near MC, last time I was in my local Best Buy, they would price match the Micro Center "instore only" price on cpu. You just won't get the bundle price reduction tho.

Reactions: maro
like this
These prices are freakin steals.... makes me wonder how close we are to zen4's release though

like this
What mobo and ram would you guys recommend that micro center carries? Last day in Cali. Going to swing by micro center tomorrow morning and pick up R5 3600/mobo/ram and probably an inland 1TB.

Also, for the open box stuff. Is that stuff located together in one area or will each section have its own open box section?

Also, for the open box stuff. Is that stuff located together in one area or will each section have its own open box section?
Generally in the area with its own little section. Sometimes it is hard to fine and best to just order it for pickup.

What mobo and ram would you guys recommend that micro center carries? Last day in Cali. Going to swing by micro center tomorrow morning and pick up R5 3600/mobo/ram and probably an inland 1TB.

X570 on the cheap?

The best under $200 is the Asus prime 570-p ($139.99) it's vrm is fantastically good. The Asus tuf x570 also very good. The ASRock steel legend also appears to be solid.

Hmm ngl the $20 premium (instead of $70) for the binning of the 3800x over the 3700x is looking quite reasonable now.

like this
X570 on the cheap?

The best under $200 is the Asus prime 570-p ($139.99) it's vrm is fantastically good. The Asus tuf x570 also very good. The ASRock steel legend also appears to be solid.
+1 on x570,
allows for overclocking, has some headroom to allow upgrade in the future if you desire, at least Gen3 Ryzen chips, dunno if Gen4 depends largely on whether the manufacturer cares enough to send out a bios upgrade, although the chip should fit the same socket... at least accord to AMD's moto of 4 year(?) cycles, unlike Intel who maybe gives 2 generations per socket/chipset

Any concern with the active chipset cooling? Mind you, I did the fan replacement on the DFI NF4 Ultra-D, back in the day so it's not a deal breaker.
But it would be blast from the past for sure.

Any concern with the active chipset cooling? Mind you, I did the fan replacement on the DFI NF4 Ultra-D, back in the day so it's not a deal breaker.
But it would be blast from the past for sure.
Zalman needs to make an awesome passive chipset cooler again 😁

I've been meaning to make my first visit ever to a Microcenter sometime soon. Nearest one is 3.5 hours away though :(

They seem to constantly have good deals like these.

Yeah miss the Santa Clara location, closest one is in Tustin, CA (LA area), so it is in no way close at all. I mean if I take my kid to Disneyland or visit my cousin in San Diego it's right off the 5, but not sure I could go for a little shopping trip with the family in tow ... wondering why I'm spending hundreds on new toys when the computer I have works perfectly fine (and it does)

I ran over to the MC here over the weekend to pick up a Ryzen9 3900x and mb combo. :) Even in Chicago, with the mb discount it was cheaper than ordering from Newegg or Amazon. I saved myself about $40.

That in-store only price on the 3600 fixing to make me cry. Wished there was one near me.

Same. Wouldn't it be great if there was a filter on this forum that would hide Microcenter deals for those of us that don't have one closeby?

The MSI Tomahawk Max B450 is a great mobo.

I have that mobo with a 3600X and GSkill Ripjaws 3600.
Easy setup, no problems.

I have a Microcenter 20 mins away and do a fair amount of shopping there.

The GSkill Ripjaw C16 3200 kit in 16g or 32g has worked in every Ryzen build I have put together. SOME first gen CPUs had to have it run at 2933 but all of the 2xxx and 3xxx builds I have done will run it at rated speed and timings on various B450, X470 and my x570 Meg Ace.

I just built for the TV/Game box:
Ryzen 3600
Open box: B450i Aorus itx mobo (Ryzen 3000 ready sticker on it and no bios update was needed for the 3600)
Open box: 32g of the Ripjaws 3600 Ram

Plug and play since first post and aside from me liking every other mobo brand's bios better for navigation reasons the board has been terrific. All the settings I want are in there but the arrangement isn't as intuative to me as AsRock , Asus or MSI.

Let us know what you get!

Walked out with R5 3600, asus x570 tuf, 16GB gskill 3600, 512GB pcie 4.0 inland nvme, li Lian lancool white case.
And that my friends is why Microcenter has the insane deals as "in store only".

Not to say the other things are overpriced hence the money makers, but they do make more money when you buy more in store :)

Not to say the other things are overpriced hence the money makers, but they do make more money when you buy more in store :)

yeah, the other stuff is pretty fairly priced when compared to online. There's also an intangible quality to buying things in store.

Everything was priced as it’s competitors. So I was happy with what I paid. My wife was the one that told me to get the case. I was originally going to get a fractal design meshify white case.

Also I’m coming from a retired oem workstation. That had a i5-4590. So this is a huge upgrade for me.

Anyone in MA looking for a 3600, there will be an open box one in Cambridge shortly!

let me know how you like the case, I might pick one up.
I haven't opened it yet. But the display model was out. The build quality was same as fractal design. And all the compartments open separately. Both sides of the glass side panels swing open. It was pretty cool. I believe I'll have some time to build it tonight.

So mad the only MC out here closed its doors several years back(Santa Clara). So odd too, considering it's silicon valley.

So mad the only MC out here closed its doors several years back(Santa Clara). So odd too, considering it's silicon valley.
Such is the cruel fate that is the area though, I heard landlords more than doubled then rent on the location which apparently made it a really easy decision. But the fact a Walmart grocery store it's there now is a kick in the nuts. Bottom line, buy your property don't lease it

Back