Mick Gordon (sound designer of Doom) issues statement regarding DOOM Eternal

I have known Marty for over 20 years. Our wives were in the same birthing classes in 1999. He is not who he used to be I would guess. Marty IS iD now. He has done a great job. He had always been great to my children, as recent as this year. I imagine Bethesda has changed him for the worse, but that is too be expected. When you sell your soul, it is sold.

One reason I never sold. Don't want any masters.
You know, I wanted (briefly) to find a way to argue this... being somewhat pro-corporation myself... but damned if you're not right. Even on my side of the industry, the folks that you knew and could trust are still good people, but working for some of the 'bigs' - they definitely are changed by the company they keep, rather than the other way around. It's the truth, as much as it kinda stings. And makes you look at one's own path...

Doom 2016 > Doom Eternal

It was far superior in every aspect, especially the music. Sucks they screwed him over like this.
Doom 2016 was Doom. Doom Eternal was a very good combat wheel/counter game. DLC1 was a slightly annoying but still very good counter game. DLC2 was a twitch-targeted "perfect this exact sequence for streaming glory!" annoyance. First time since I was 12 that I finally said "fuck it" and fired up cheats to finish - because I was getting SO annoyed at the game and just wanted to finish the damned story.

Doom 2016 was Doom. Doom Eternal was a very good combat wheel/counter game. DLC1 was a slightly annoying but still very good counter game. DLC2 was a twitch-targeted "perfect this exact sequence for streaming glory!" annoyance. First time since I was 12 that I finally said "fuck it" and fired up cheats to finish - because I was getting SO annoyed at the game and just wanted to finish the damned story.

I still haven't finished the 2nd DLC, I got bored and quit. I'll go back eventually, but on Eternal, the moment I realized they did an inexplicable time jump, and the eyes make a squeaky pop sound on the cacodemon, I knew it wasn't the same game and wouldn't be anywhere as good.

I still haven't finished the 2nd DLC, I got bored and quit. I'll go back eventually, but on Eternal, the moment I realized they did an inexplicable time jump, and the eyes make a squeaky pop sound on the cacodemon, I knew it wasn't the same game and wouldn't be anywhere as good.
I was doing fine in the game, but when I realized that I wasn't having ANY fun anymore (just doing it to slog through), and everything I was reading was from twitch streamers (it seemed) cackling that they'd shaved another 2 seconds off a run via changing a precise sequence of actions... well, when I was 16 or 20 I did stuff like that. Now I just want to have fun, and it was forcing me to play in a way that wasn't fun. So I fired up the cheat and had an enjoyable time just finishing it. I regret nothing.

To me, a Doom game without John Carmack isn't a Doom game. It's just another shooter game made by some people. They clearly lost the gold old "It' done when it's done" way of doing things even if John himself said it was a bad way of making games. I didn't play Ethernal but just seeing videos of it makes me not want to play the game.

Bethesda responds to Mick Gordon's statement over the Doom Eternal OST

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1592971214817222656

1.png

I posted this in the PC Gaming sub thread....

Gotta learn when to STFU. This is one of those moments.

Mick: produces timelines, receipts, etc. Bethesda: No way.
Yeah Bethesda's response was lackluster, however I can see not attempting to give a rebuttal.

Both posts so far are long winded and have many potential "attack" points, it's probably too messy to address in the current fashion that has been laid out so far.

Need to bring them together and duke it out live!

Yeah Bethesda's response was lackluster, however I can see not attempting to give a rebuttal.

Both posts so far are long winded and have many potential "attack" points, it's probably too messy to address in the current fashion that has been laid out so far.

Need to bring them together and duke it out live!
And it needs to be done with the Doom Eternal soundtrack playing in the background. It would fit this situation very well.

Can you guys imagine if you had an employer SO behind you even being a shitty person as Marty supposedly is and still hold a job? I mean I am really shocked that it's more important for id to somehow side with Marty after all the shit he's done than just do an apology, pay Mick the money he is due, let him do the soundtrack, and try to repair the relationship with the person responsible for the greatest game soundtracks of all time.

It's so odd because we all know that should id take the high road and just work things out this is only just double-ing down for no reason other than just not wanting to admit being wrong and id may end up losing support for this (they probably already have).

Can you guys imagine if you had an employer SO behind you even being a shitty person as Marty supposedly is and still hold a job? I mean I am really shocked that it's more important for id to somehow side with Marty after all the shit he's done than just do an apology, pay Mick the money he is due, let him do the soundtrack, and try to repair the relationship with the person responsible for the greatest game soundtracks of all time.

It's so odd because we all know that should id take the high road and just work things out this is only just double-ing down for no reason other than just not wanting to admit being wrong and id may end up losing support for this (they probably already have).
It's more about saving face and protecting the club. Marty is the insider, Mick is an outsider. Corporations never like to admit fault or wrongdoing, even if it is patently obvious.

I'm guessing Bethesda didn't even read Mick's whole account, or they just skimmed it like Zarathustra[H] did. Lots a of damning evidence in there that seems to be proving Marty's a lying piece of shit. Either way at the very least this whole fiasco has tainted one of the best franchises ever. I love these games! Doom 2016 was nothing without Mick's soundtrack. I'm so happy this hasn't completely ruined his career and he's still getting work. His talents going to waste would have been a real travesty to the industry.

I'm guessing Bethesda didn't even read Mick's whole account, or they just skimmed it like Zarathustra[H] did. Lots a of damning evidence in there that seems to be proving Marty's a lying piece of shit. Either way at the very least this whole fiasco has tainted one of the best franchises ever. I love these games! Doom 2016 was nothing without Mick's soundtrack.
PR team didn't. I'm certain if legal gets involved they'll read all of it and talk to execs at id. Not that it matters. I don't think id has a leg to stand on either. I just hope that Mick has a sufficient legal defense fund, because winning this sort of thing for them is all about exhausting their opponent, clearly not about whether they have the truth on their side. Though, I imagine there's likely some legal team willing to work for something this high profile pro bono for a percentage of whatever comes after.
I'm so happy this hasn't completely ruined his career and he's still getting work. His talents going to waste would have been a real travesty to the industry.
His rep is too good for that. Everyone that has worked with him and had him do similar for their projects (you know, lay out time tables, be extremely reasonable, know the development cycle and help meet goals, wrote entire scores) knows what sort of person he is.
EDIT: the irony is it seems that Bethesda execs know what kind of person he is too. All of whom were willing to work with him when Marty wasn't in the way.

Last edited:
I planned on skimming since that was all the motivation I had initially, but ended up reading almost everything.

That's insane. No way Marty was innocent. I hate to see so much ego ruining what could have been and what could be in the future, just to ruin lives.

i loved doom2016 because it was exactly that doom on moderne machines/graphjics
eternal started trying to be fancy and destroyed the feel.

i ploed 2016 several time through with diffrent handicaps like. only use bullet weapons or cant pick up armor andhealth. but eternal i only laster a few maps until i got borred of the small fight arenas and the platforming annoyance.

something happend with serious sam. 2 it become walking from small enclosure to next enclosure and the fealing of exploring compared to the 1st one went out he window

Back