Mice with four thumb buttons

Docjon

Weaksauce
I bought a new G700s in January, but recently, the cursor started freezing at random for 5-second intervals. After consulting with Logitech and troubleshooting, they decided the mouse needed replacement, but they would not honor the warranty, as the company I bought it through on Amazon was "not an authorized reseller". $75 bucks down the drain. So, after 14 years, Logitech has lost a loyal customer.

I'm in the market for a new, non-Logitech mouse. I need a tilt-wheel and at least four thumbbuttons. Four seems a good number - not so many as to get confusing, but enough to do a lot with. For example, the Steelseries W.O.W. Legendary has forward/back, and up/down buttons, which seem to allow for a lot of flexibility in FPS games AND MMOs. More buttons would not be a bad thing.

I'm not interested in the Naga, and not wild about Razer in general. I'm avoiding my longtime favorite Logitech for reasons stated above.

I play a lot of Battlefield 4, and some other FPS-type games. I play some Dungeons & Dragons Online as well as Guild Wars 2, I dabble in Photoshop, and of course surf the web relentlessly. I have a hybrid grip, with a large, but not huge, hand ( I used the larger grip on my old G9x Mouse). Wireless is of little interest to me.

What do you suggest? What are your thoughts on the WOW Legendary mouse?

Have you tried seeing if Amazon will help you out?

I wouldn't dump this on Logitech, there are very good and legit reasons they honor warranties only of purchased through authorized resellers, counterfeits being the main reason

Unfortunately I can only think of Logitech mice off the top of my head. What's your price range?

Have you tried seeing if Amazon will help you out?

I wouldn't dump this on Logitech, there are very good and legit reasons they honor warranties only of purchased through authorized resellers, counterfeits being the main reason

Unfortunately I can only think of Logitech mice off the top of my head. What's your price range?

Well, how am _I_ supposed to know who an "Authorized Reseller" is? I bought it through the Amazon website, which I would think is a reasonably respectable place. It's true the purchase was made through another company on Amazon, but it's not like I bought it at a "fell-off-a-truck" price. I paid $74.99, which I thought was more than enough to assure it wasn't a stolen or grey-market item. I guess I'm supposed to search the website of every manufacturer now to assure that I'm buying a product at a location that they will deign to honor the warranty.

FWIW, this IS a Logitech product. I've used enough of them to know their tight tolerances and construction. Also, it would be pretty ambitions to copy a 13-button mouse so well that even the Logitech gaming software works with it. If this is a fake, they should tweak their quality some and start their own brand.

I will poke around the Amazon site to see if there's anything they or the company I purchased it from can do, but the mouse is 4 months old, which I thought put it beyond the resellers responsibility and into the realm of warranty service. I could be wrong, as you're not the first person to tell me to check with Amazon.

Anyway, I went with the SteelSeries WOW Legendary mouse, because it was on sale for $29.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005L38QHA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A29PHU0KPCGV8S

I won't be expecting warranty service if this purchase goes bad. Truth is, it's been 15 years since I tried to get ANYTHING repaired/replaced under warranty. It's a huge PITA, but I've been a loyal Logitech customer for almost 15 years (keyboards and mice), I thought they could do this for me one time - especially since they're known for great warranty service and because I'd only had it for 4 months. Oh well.

Sorry, this whole thing pissed me off. I appreciate you taking the time to try to help. I WILL check with Amazon, as you suggest. Maybe I'll eventually get the g700s replaced one day.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, how am _I_ supposed to know who an "Authorized Reseller" is? I bought it through the Amazon website, which I would think is a reasonably respectable place. It's true the purchase was made through another company on Amazon, but it's not like I bought it at a "fell-off-a-truck" price. I paid $74.99, which I thought was more than enough to assure it wasn't a stolen or grey-market item. I guess I'm supposed to search the website of every manufacturer now to assure that I'm buying a product at a location that they will deign to honor the warranty.

FWIW, this IS a Logitech product. I've used enough of them to know their tight tolerances and construction. Also, it would be pretty ambitions to copy a 13-button mouse so well that even the Logitech gaming software works with it. If this is a fake, they should tweak their quality some and start their own brand.

I will poke around the Amazon site to see if there's anything they or the company I purchased it from can do, but the mouse is 4 months old, which I thought put it beyond the resellers responsibility and into the realm of warranty service. I could be wrong, as you're not the first person to tell me to check with Amazon.

Anyway, I went with the SteelSeries WOW Legendary mouse, because it was on sale for $29.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005L38QHA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A29PHU0KPCGV8S

I won't be expecting warranty service if this purchase goes bad. Truth is, it's been 15 years since I tried to get ANYTHING repaired/replaced under warranty. It's a huge PITA, but I've been a loyal Logitech customer for almost 15 years (keyboards and mice), I thought they could do this for me one time - especially since they're known for great warranty service and because I'd only had it for 4 months. Oh well.

Sorry, this whole thing pissed me off. I appreciate you taking the time to try to help. I WILL check with Amazon, as you suggest. Maybe I'll eventually get the g700s replaced one day.
I'm not blaming you, just explaining why Logitech is not the cause of the problem. I also didn't mean that the mouse you got was a counterfeit, only explaining why logitech will only honor warranties from authorized resellers. I sympathize, I could very well have been in the same situation. But that's why I was asking if Amazon could help you out. Maybe explain your situation in an email to support? It's worth a shot, especially with how considerate they are to customers.

Have you looked at Razer mice? They have lots of models with lots of thumb button options, but I don't know of their price ranges.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Corsair M95. Awesome mouse. It's a bit bigger than most, but I have big hands. Lots of thumb buttons, but good placement that won't confuse use.

It doesn't have a tilt wheel, but that's my two cents.

Didn't read that you bought one already. GL and enjoy your mouse!

Thanks, delivery is today. I had planned on spending more time choosing one, but I found it on steep discount, so I grabbed it. Hope it works out. I've heard good things about SteelSeries mice and the associated software, so I took the plunge.

I found out AFTER the purchase that it doesn't have a tilt-wheel, but it has buttons on the sides, and behind, the wheel, so maybe it will work out.

I just wish Logitech had honored their warranty. Oh well, when my G15 dies, I'll have more incentive to buy a mechanical keyboard now.

Good mouse! Whatever you do, don't update the firmware under windows 8/8.1 - which it asks you to do during driver install - it hard bricks the mouse. Dead dead dead. Update it under 7 or XP.

Steelseries was awesome and replaced mine, but just a heads up to avoid a couple weeks of mouse downtime.

I sent it back.

I DL'ed the latest drivers, and updated the firmware under win7-64. Updated fine, as you said it would.
  • Liked the overall feel of the mouse A LOT. Just felt good in use, and thought it might prove to be more accurate in game. It felt more of a natural extension than my g700s, and I could more easily make what I wanted to do in-game happen. I will be fiddling with my g700s's settings in an attempt to mimic this.
  • The mouse shell was shiny and smooth, which made it stick my palm a LOT. Didn't like that a bit.
  • The scroll wheel had a really nice feel, and each click was positive with no slop, and there was no accidental switching of weapons in-game when I didn't mean to do it. Likey.
  • On the other hand, it wasn't a tilt-wheel. The buttons around the wheel are a poor substitute for a tilt-wheel. Not nearly as easy to find and use.
  • Liked the four thumb-buttons.
  • The 11th button for the ringfinger could work if it was used only occasionally, but trying to use it without moving the mouse is a losing proposition, as would be any attempt to use it quickly and/or rapidly.
  • The software seemed pretty decent. My desktop config that kicks in when I run Firefox, etc worked, and it switched macro profiles when I alt-tabbed between Windows & BF4. I could tell because the color of the mouse LEDs would change. I liked that.
  • I COULDN'T tell the profiles had changed because of the macros in BF4 though, because I never got them to work. My desktop macros worked, but not the BF4 ones. Simple, single keypresses mapped to a mousebutton. Didn't. Work. Tried on and off for 2 days, Googled a ton, thought I was doing something wrong. I set the profile for Borderlands 2, and the same macros worked fine with it. I might have tried, foolishly, to make the silly no-tilt-wheel-try-these-buttons-instead work, but macros not working in even one game I play is a dealbreaker.

I hear it's hell-on-mousepads for World of Warcraft. I don't play WoW, so I don't know. I play some FPS games, and some Dungeons & Dragons Online, some Guild Wars 2. Never got that far though, as BF4 was the first game I tried to set up, and it failed.

I'm getting another G700s. I'm still majorly pissed at Logitech, but I'll save that up and get a mechanical keyboard instead of a g19, and hope I can find a non-Logitech mouse the next time I need one.

Last edited:

It's always acceptable to dump on corporations with such unacceptable warranty policies. Lots of other companies do it, but avoiding those companies is the correct thing to do whenever possible. Sure doesn't help when OP just gets another Logitech, though. That'll really show them.

It's not acceptable for a corporation to dump the counterfeit problem in the consumer's hands. It's their job to figure that out.

Last edited:
It's always acceptable to dump on corporations with such unacceptable warranty policies. Other companies do it, but avoiding those companies is the correct thing to do whenever possible. Sure doesn't help when OP just gets another Logitech, though. That'll really show them.

Well, it's a clanmember's lightly-used mouse, if that makes you feel any better. I didn't purchase a new one. I'll have to start keeping up with new mice though, so I'll be better prepared when I need another. Maybe a R.A.T. . . .

This got under my skin because I've used nothing but Logitech keyboards and mice for about 15 years, and the first time I need warranty service, I got the brush off. Logitech may have had good reasons, but from a customer standpoint, all I saw was a company I've recommended and given money to, for more than a decade, fail me the first time I need help with a product.

Not that it makes their new policy any better, but the reason they require all this now is because people abused their old policy.

The old policy was "tell us the serial number of your mouse and we'll send you a new one without you even having to send the old one back to us". Once people got wind you could do this they coincidentally started having some really bad luck with their mice always breaking on them.

Not that it makes their new policy any better, but the reason they require all this now is because people abused their old policy.

The old policy was "tell us the serial number of your mouse and we'll send you a new one without you even having to send the old one back to us". Once people got wind you could do this they coincidentally started having some really bad luck with their mice always breaking on them.

Those people are asses, but there is never valid justification for a company to screw their customers over because some scam artists screwed them over. Weeding out the scammers from the real customers is a cost of doing business and it lies squarely with Logitech.

It's been years since I've been a fan of Logitech (I can afford better stuff now) but hearing that they've fallen like this means I will actively recommend against them (mostly to my friends).

It's been years since I've been a fan of Logitech (I can afford better stuff now) but hearing that they've fallen like this means I will actively recommend against them (mostly to my friends).

Well, I suppose now's a good time as any to ask. You have found a product you think is superior to Logitech, so clue me in. I've bought Logitech all these years because of the features, quality, and the supposedly great customer service. Since my mouse failed after 4 months and I didn't get a warranty return, I'm looking elsewhere for quality. Wha'cha got?

Well, I suppose now's a good time as any to ask. You have found a product you think is superior to Logitech, so clue me in. I've bought Logitech all these years because of the features, quality, and the supposedly great customer service. Since my mouse failed after 4 months and I didn't get a warranty return, I'm looking elsewhere for quality. Wha'cha got?

As far as product itself goes, I am very much a fan of Mionix now. I cannot speak for the quality of their support, and should I have a bad experience with them I will switch again and share my experience. But this is the most comfortable mouse I've used to date by a fairly significant degree. I don't know about the four thumb button requirement, though. My previous favorite mouse was the Logitech MX1000, actually, but that was a while ago now. I think they were better in the past.

Last edited:
Well, they are certainly catering to the high-end mouse market. I'll keep an eye on them - maybe they'll have added a few more buttons to new mice by the time I'm ready to buy again. Thanks, I had been unfamiliar with them until now.

Back