MGS5: The Phantom Pain

I saw parts of Ground Zeroes and parts from the Phantom Pain video. So which is it? One or the other? Is this PS3 or PS4? Is this Metal Gear Solid 5 or what? I for one am very confused...

MGS 4 was a very emotional game. The man tells a gripping story and this trailer shows it will continue in MGS V.

What we know is that the game is cross platform (PS3/360/PC) and will star Big Boss. It is set around 1983. David Hayter will not reprise his role of the voice of Big Boss/Naked Snake. What you saw last year as "Ground Zeroes" trailer is the same game as MGSV.

So Ground Zero is now Phantom Pain? So this video is all based on PS3 hard ware? Sure as hell doesn't look at it!

MGS 4 was a very emotional game. The man tells a gripping story and this trailer shows it will continue in MGS V.

What we know is that the game is cross platform (PS3/360/PC) and will star Big Boss. It is set around 1983. David Hayter will not reprise his role of the voice of Big Boss/Naked Snake. What you saw last year as "Ground Zeroes" trailer is the same game as MGSV.

Where was this confirmed that it will be on PC?

Also:

ScreenShot2013-03-05at31557PM_zps1793672e.png

some actual gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9b2FoYMywc

Last edited:
Looks good. What I like about Kojima is his interest in telling a story, and even going to unorthodox places in order to tell that story. Then he adds interesting and varied game play.

I'm interested to see how this whole thing is executed.

kojima said ground zero is prologue to mgs 5 and story continues on to phantom pain which is set 9 yrs after ground zero
Gz and tpp are just code name and it
will be called msg5

Where was this confirmed that it will be on PC?

Also:

ScreenShot2013-03-05at31557PM_zps1793672e.png

some actual gameplay:
When they first announced it they said PC hardware but later announced PS3/360, so I don't know now.

Also, that Twitter post is because he is upset and wants Konami and Kojima to see that fans would be upset too.

The game play has a lot of Big Boss in it, but the scene with the very young looking person running around the hospital I think may be Solid Snake. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
But why of all things use the voice actor as the "misdirection"... what does pissing off the fans have to do with misdirecting us?

David Hayter IS Solid Snake, just like Peter Cullen is Optimus Prime. I hope this was all part of the obfuscation and that Hayter will be brought back on board.

.....now where does fit in with the MGS timeline? after or before MGS 4? This is all sorts of confusing....Kojima likes his puzzle within an enigma wrapped in a mystery stories. FFS.

.....now where does fit in with the MGS timeline? after or before MGS 4? This is all sorts of confusing....Kojima likes his puzzle within an enigma wrapped in a mystery stories. FFS.

It takes place before Metal Gear. So, they could really do some interesting tie-ins, like how FoxHound was formed etc etc. There are reports that Ground Zeroes and TPP are indeed separate games, while others say they're both different sections in MGS5. Time will tell.

But why of all things use the voice actor as the "misdirection"... what does pissing off the fans have to do with misdirecting us?

As noted, Kojima is famous for this. Most notably, he and his team pulled what is arguably the greatest bait and switch in videogame history. Before release, all videos and screenshots of the "Big Shell" portion of MGS2 where shown with Snake's character model. They also really played up the beginning "Tanker" section (where you actually do play as Solid Snake), complete with showing extra cinematic video footage at game expos, that wasn't in the final game.

MGS2 released and about 2/3 of the game are played as Raiden, who had never been talked about or shown, before release. It was amazing.

CONFIRMED! Ground Zeroes and MGS 5 are SEPARATE GAMES!

It was confirmed that Ground Zeroes + The Phantom Pain = MGS5. GZ is a prolog. Think of it like the tanker scene in MGS2 where youplayed as Snake for only 1/3 of the game.

Even as a fan of Kojima I had the same reaction. What in the fuck was all that? lol

Kojima said they are hallucinations. Coming out of a 9 yr coma, he’s all kind of messed up. There is some kind of logic to it…Kojima logic at least

It was confirmed that Ground Zeroes + The Phantom Pain = MGS5. GZ is a prolog. Think of it like the tanker scene in MGS2 where youplayed as Snake for only 1/3 of the game.

This may be true but they are still different games with Ground Zeroes coming to the 360 and PS3.

Phantom Pain is NEXT-GEN and will be coming to the PS4.

This may be true but they are still different games with Ground Zeroes coming to the 360 and PS3.

Phantom Pain is NEXT-GEN and will be coming to the PS4.

Yes, about the 2 games, but maybe not....... Next gen is NOT confirmed.

Earlier today, Kojima Productions announced that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain together make up Metal Gear Solid V. This made it sound like the two are the same game, but this isn’t actually the case.

We got in touch with Konami to ask just what the deal is with the two titles, and the publisher’s Director of Public Relations, Jay Boor, informed us that they are in fact two separate games.

“Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games,” Boor clarified to Siliconera via e-mail. “GZ will be a prologue to The Phantom Pain.”

If its one game to buy(1 sku) or 2 seperate games to buy(2 sku's)
Can't confirm at this time.
Currently schedulded for Xbox 360 + PS3 (Maybe even next-gen consoles, possible announcement at E3)

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/2...r-solid-ground-zeroes-are-two-separate-games/

Last edited:
Kojima confirmed no Hayter and plans to explain why in an interview sometime soon.

much of this is kojima just trolling everyone. I cannot wait to see the FOX engine at work.

Yes that is big boss at the end and ima cry if i dont see david hayter voicing big boss its not the same without him.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/84h9k6/metal-gear-solid-v--the-phantom-pain-kojima-interview

Here is an interview with Kojima. They didn't go with Hayter because this is "a new type of metal gear and we wanted that to be reflected in the voice actor."

Richard Doyle voiced Big Boss in MGS 4, but had Hayter voice him in Peace Walker a couple years later. Maybe they want Hayter to voice him in the games were Big Boss was younger, and have someone else (maybe Doyle again) voice him in the games where he's older.

Kojima also said that Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain comprise of MGS5 but will not comment on if they will be distributed together or separately. JoeUser suggested that GZ is PS3/360 and that Phantom Pain is PS4/720, which is a very good thought. That may be why Kojima will not comment on it.

Last edited:
I'll play it but I'm really disappointed in the Konami team for ditching him because of "creative changes" or the normal tongue "because we wanted cut costs with a cheaper voice actor".

Game looks great and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Sure will be weird as fuck without David voicing Snake.

Back