Metroid Prime: Remastered (Switch - 2/8/23)

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Metroid Prime Remastered has arrived! Stealth launched today by Nintendo, I just landed on Talon IV (for the 50th time since 2002) and can confirm:

(1) There are four control schemes including Classic Gamecube, Wii Trilogy/Pointer, Hybrid Pointer and Dual Stick;

(2) Graphics have been overhauled and are a step up (or aspire to be) from the Wii Trilogy. Looks fantastic on Switch OLED.

(3) Available for download now at $39.99.

AWESOME!

Last edited:
I watched ShinyZeni play it last night. They did a really good job upgrading the graphics. Only thing is I noticed framerate drops in some areas.

The "Remastered" title is strange. This is a remake. Its nearly as impressive a remake as Demon's Souls.

The "Remastered" title is strange. This is a remake. Its nearly as impressive a remake as Demon's Souls.
Doesn't look that impressive come on. It looks more like another remaster. I seriously doubt they made any new assets for it.

It's new assets and effects on top of the original game, so it's the very definition of a remaster.
Doesn't look that impressive come on. It looks more like another remaster. I seriously doubt they made any new assets for it.
Both the original Gamecube and Wii versions didn't have the tessellation or dynamic lighting that this version does. The textures are much higher quality, not simply upscaled. More modern effects like ambient occlusion and subsurface scattering are also in use. It is quite impressive compared to the GCN and Wii versions.

It's so crazy that this just came out, because I've been replaying it recently. Don't have a switch though to play the new version. Looks like an overall improvement, though I generally dislike when remasters change the "charm" of the old art style.
90%+ looks like a net improvement. And certainly the way to play the game moving forward if you're a casual.

Speedrunners will stick likely want to play the GC version, because it has all the "unlocked" movement. There is strafe jumping that is only present in the original, certain forms of clipping, and the ability to use almost any geometry in game to stand on, which makes the speed runs possible. The strafe jumping was patched out as early as the JPN GCN versions of Prime.
It's very unlikely that that stuff was "put back in".

It's so crazy that this just came out, because I've been replaying it recently. Don't have a switch though to play the new version. Looks like an overall improvement, though I generally dislike when remasters change the "charm" of the old art style.
90%+ looks like a net improvement. And certainly the way to play the game moving forward if you're a casual.

Speedrunners will stick likely want to play the GC version, because it has all the "unlocked" movement. There is strafe jumping that is only present in the original, certain forms of clipping, and the ability to use almost any geometry in game to stand on, which makes the speed runs possible. The strafe jumping was patched out as early as the JPN GCN versions of Prime.
It's very unlikely that that stuff was "put back in".
They will just make a new category for this to speed run. From what I seen there is very little loading now. You don't have to wait for doors to open after you shoot them. So that is a improvement over the original for speed running.

They will just make a new category for this to speed run. From what I seen there is very little loading now. You don't have to wait for doors to open after you shoot them. So that is a improvement over the original for speed running.
True. Just in general in terms of popularity though, people like to see (and play) the glitches/etc. Though this could be the favored format for glitchless/100% or something.

Here's another comparison

It's so nice to have proper widescreen. I can't believe that they went both vert- and stretched horizontally on the Wii version.
True. Just in general in terms of popularity though, people like to see (and play) the glitches/etc. Though this could be the favored format for glitchless/100% or something.
To an extent. I don't watch speedruns of Metroid Prime 2 because it's 75% OOB glitches, which is boring to watch.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
This also has 4 different control schemes:

Dual Stick controller options

The dual-stick control scheme is the default control scheme, which is what’s used as default in games today. The control method is, unsurprisingly, using the left stick to move while manipulating the right stick for the camera. If you’re used to modern shooters or first-person games, this is probably the control scheme for you.

Pointer controller options

This control scheme is the second option in the menu. ‘Pointer controller’ is similar to what was experienced in the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Nintendo Wii. This controller option in Metroid Prime Remastered allows the use of motion controls, meaning you can aim by moving the controller or Joy-Cons. This control scheme is a good way to play id you experienced this game first on the Wii.

Classic controller options

Skipping ahead to the fourth option, as we need to explain this one before talking about the Hybrid controller option. This option is Classic, and it features the same control setup from the original game. The right stick doesn’t input anything, and you aim by holding ZR and using the left stick. There’s also the handy option of locking on to aim, which exists with every control scheme.

Hybrid controller options

The Hybrid controller option in Metroid Prime Remastered employs elements of the Classic and Pointer control schemes. This version allows you to move while aiming unlike the Classic method due to implementing the motion controls from the Hybrid scheme when you hold ZR. This method takes some time to come to terms with, but if you enjoy this method, it could be a fantastic way of playing the game.

It's so nice to have proper widescreen. I can't believe that they went both vert- and stretched horizontally on the Wii version.
Did they really? It's been a while since I played them. I had a launch Wii, but sold it off in 2010. I had the Prime Trilogy for it, and just remember feeling like it was net all-around improvement due to the resolution and motion controls. Don't really remember past that.
To an extent. I don't watch speedruns of Metroid Prime 2 because it's 75% OOB glitches, which is boring to watch.
MP2 is a totally different beast. There's only 2 or 3 OOB moves in all of Metroid Prime 1 even in 100% collection. Though there is a heck-ton of standing on random walls and strafe jumping, which allows for a lot of really varied movement, and a ton of sequence breaking.
Doom (2016) I think is also similar in this regard. Huge amounts of clipping that gets semi-tedious to watch. I think doing huge amounts of sequence breaking is fun and interesting, at the cost of OOB it's less fun to watch. MP1 though seems to be a really nice balance. I don't mind the odd clip here and there.

Did they really? It's been a while since I played them. I had a launch Wii, but sold it off in 2010. I had the Prime Trilogy for it, and just remember feeling like it was net all-around improvement due to the resolution and motion controls. Don't really remember past that.
It was a mix of good and bad. It was mostly good, especially with the motion controls. I'm glad that Remastered not only brought forward the motion controls, but improved on them. The resolution on the Wii version was 854x480, which is just the 16:9 version of 640x480 which the Gamecube ran at. It looked better mostly due to additional filtering.
MP2 is a totally different beast. There's only 2 or 3 OOB moves in all of Metroid Prime 1 even in 100% collection. Though there is a heck-ton of standing on random walls and strafe jumping, which allows for a lot of really varied movement, and a ton of sequence breaking.
Doom (2016) I think is also similar in this regard. Huge amounts of clipping that gets semi-tedious to watch. I think doing huge amounts of sequence breaking is fun and interesting, at the cost of OOB it's less fun to watch. MP1 though seems to be a really nice balance. I don't mind the odd clip here and there.
I agree that the occasional sequence breaking that utilizes OOB glitches is fun. MP1 was more about exploiting the world geometry, which I think is more interesting to watch. MP2 100% in particular has stretches of up to 5 minutes walking around in the void with nothing else happening. Unfortunately there is no "no oob" category for MP2 100% like there is for any%.

Been playing this when I have time. Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of all time. I used to speedrun it, so I know the map like the back of my hand and god damn this remaster looks amazing.

Someone earlier said "no new assets" and I legitimately think it's the opposite, I don't think there's a single original asset in this entire game. It looks phenomenal on my TV and I don't know how they pulled that off on Switch. I am playing with an Mclassic Upscaler at 1440p on my TV, which might help a few of the jaggies normally associated with Switch games.

Last few times I played Metroid Prime was with Primehack at 4k, downrezzed from 6k, and the new assets and lighting make this version look better. It also loads rooms faster, which is nice.

I've taken a bunch of screenshots on my Switch, which sadly won't translate to the upscaled 1440p because it happens in post, but I'll post em whenever I get around to uploading them due to Switch's annoying upload limitations.

I just got the gravity suit and made it to the Phazon Mines.

nc_ohc=lrBrTn9RPNkAX9wY9vr&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=oeVwzPJpz7gAX_6M4y9&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-1.jpg

8i84pj&tn=bBm4E7Dk0RbN1_yE&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=3XQ4UDCJmogAX-HsxP0&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-2.jpg

IaA_4_yOvKMP6HhkBBdCCxxwXP&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-1.jpg

_cDLo9&tn=bBm4E7Dk0RbN1_yE&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=MBAvSNqlqMoAX_K8Dzl&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-1.jpg

99pgRU&tn=bBm4E7Dk0RbN1_yE&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=NzWOJf0jlkkAX8wJcDH&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=1Oi-BuMzSCgAX-Re2Mc&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-2.jpg

Definitely slow for me, especially compared to my speed running days. I missed a *single* unmissable scan for the entire game, but I could probably get 100% in about 11 hours if I can pinpoint which items I missed.
What an absolutely glorious game.

View attachment 550034
View attachment 550035
View attachment 550036
View attachment 550037
View attachment 550038
View attachment 550039
View attachment 550040
View attachment 550041
View attachment 550042
View attachment 550043
Definitely slow for me, especially compared to my speed running days. I missed a *single* unmissable scan for the entire game, but I could probably get 100% in about 11 hours if I can pinpoint which items I missed.
What an absolutely glorious game.
Those screen shots look outstanding! 👍🏻

Been playing this when I have time. Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of all time. I used to speedrun it, so I know the map like the back of my hand and god damn this remaster looks amazing.

Someone earlier said "no new assets" and I legitimately think it's the opposite, I don't think there's a single original asset in this entire game. It looks phenomenal on my TV and I don't know how they pulled that off on Switch. I am playing with an Mclassic Upscaler at 1440p on my TV, which might help a few of the jaggies normally associated with Switch games.

Last few times I played Metroid Prime was with Primehack at 4k, downrezzed from 6k, and the new assets and lighting make this version look better. It also loads rooms faster, which is nice.

I've taken a bunch of screenshots on my Switch, which sadly won't translate to the upscaled 1440p because it happens in post, but I'll post em whenever I get around to uploading them due to Switch's annoying upload limitations.

I just got the gravity suit and made it to the Phazon Mines.
I also just got to Phazon Mines. Is it me or is the sequence where you fight those cloaked space pirates, use the laser to break the wall and reveal the door, fight the large space pirate that breaks from the tank and get the next save just next to impossible. I have tried three times and I can't get to the next save before I get taken out. I remember this sequence from the original game being challenging, but I don't remember it being this challenging. The game definately gets more difficult as you progress. I am wondering if I missed a few health tanks somewhere.

I also just got to Phazon Mines. Is it me or is the sequence where you fight those cloaked space pirates, use the laser to break the wall and reveal the door, fight the large space pirate that breaks from the tank and get the next save just next to impossible. I have tried three times and I can't get to the next save before I get taken out. I remember this sequence from the original game being challenging, but I don't remember it being this challenging. The game definately gets more difficult as you progress. I am wondering if I missed a few health tanks somewhere.
Use Super Missiles to remove the Omega Pirate's armor as quickly as possible. When he teleport to regenerate his armor in a phazon pool, remember to only hit him with fully charged Plasma Beam shots. Don't let a stray regular shot hit him when you start charging the second shot. You want to get two fully charged Plasma Beam shots to hit his chest to minimize the number of phases the fight lasts. If you're quick enough, he'll teleport to a different phazon pool where you can damage him a second time before he gets his armor plating back. If you hit him with a stray regular shot you won't get that chance. You can use the audio to identify which pool he is in if you don't know how to manipulate the pattern.

The adds shouldn't be an issue, but I would use Super Beam combos to get rid of them quickly if they become one. Missiles shouldn't be an issue if you collected all the expansions up to this point.

I was waiting for the physical release tomorrow to get the game, so I'll see how it is then.

I think I had 10 health tanks for this section. It's also, tellingly, my only game over the entire game. That's 100% because I lost like 5 tanks jumping down through the electrified spider ball hole instead of taking it slowly. That electricity damages way more than before.

Beating the Elite pirates without taking any damage is really easy, just get close, double jump and shoot off a super missile when they grand slam.

I do feel like the elemental pirates are doing more damage though, I think they shoot faster or more often? I wasn't able to pinppoint exactly why.

I think I had 10 health tanks for this section. It's also, tellingly, my only game over the entire game. That's 100% because I lost like 5 tanks jumping down through the electrified spider ball hole instead of taking it slowly. That electricity damages way more than before.

Beating the Elite pirates without taking any damage is really easy, just get close, double jump and shoot off a super missile when they grand slam.

I do feel like the elemental pirates are doing more damage though, I think they shoot faster or more often? I wasn't able to pinppoint exactly why.
It isn't the pirate that breaks from the tank that is doing me in because he goes down fast with super missles. It is just the sheer number of encounters with the elemental pirates, in particular the ones susceptible to power beam, that just drains me before I can reach wherever the next save is. I don't remember them ever dealing so much damage so quickly in the original game.

However, I found a workaround I will try. In the room that fills with gas, if you stand in the right spot, you can repeatedly kill the mines that come from the vents and harvest their health drops to replenish. It is tedious but it works. I actually got to 50% health and then still died in the subsequent section.

I do not have enough health tanks, clearly. I may need to backtrack for some tanks I missed before progressing.

It's not supposed to be a limited release. They'll make more physical copies and it'll be easy to find in 2-3 months.

I caved and just bought the digital version. I prefer physical since Nintendo is notorious for closing stores on older consoles (3DS store closes next month, as a reminder), so I still may get a physical copy once they're widely available.

Its curious why supply of the physical game is so low. Amazon was pushing out pre-order dates----since before the game released.

cheaper for N to do digital distribution? higher margins? i have 3 switches in my house, and trading the cart is the best option. so I will wait.

Played a few hours so far this week. I surprisingly have forgotten a lot about this game. I got lost initially after getting the boost ball in Phendrana Drifts. It took me around 10 minutes to recall where to go next since I turned the hint system off. It looks and plays amazingly well. My only complaint is the gyro aiming. The game resets center position every time you pick up an item or pause the game, so you need to make sure you're holding the remote level in those situations. There really should be an option to manually reset center instead of automatically doing it. Having to shoot with the face buttons also makes it hard to pinpoint your aim versus the Wiimote which had the trigger under the controller to fire. I ordered a repro Gamecube controller for the Switch that I will be using instead.

Still waiting for my cart. Amazon now says march 12, from April 3. So much for preordering.

Played a few hours so far this week. I surprisingly have forgotten a lot about this game. I got lost initially after getting the boost ball in Phendrana Drifts. It took me around 10 minutes to recall where to go next since I turned the hint system off. It looks and plays amazingly well. My only complaint is the gyro aiming. The game resets center position every time you pick up an item or pause the game, so you need to make sure you're holding the remote level in those situations. There really should be an option to manually reset center instead of automatically doing it. Having to shoot with the face buttons also makes it hard to pinpoint your aim versus the Wiimote which had the trigger under the controller to fire. I ordered a repro Gamecube controller for the Switch that I will be using instead.
You can manually reset center by using the R shoulder button on the right joycon. That will reset you. You can do it on the fly. Don't be afraid to switch from gyro to other control schemes as you progress because the gyro controls can get fatiguing. I kind of switch back and forth. As the game progresses and gets harder, I find I need to lock on to enemies faster than the gyro allows.

You can also set shooting to R1&R2.
I used dual stick + Gyro for most of the game. Camera stick on super high sensitivity for the right stick, and gyro controls were super low for finetuned aiming.

Last edited:
The game is shockingly good. Just can't believe how sharp it looks. Rave reviews for it too. One of my top five all time games for sure, of any platform!

I am at the triforce, I mean, artifact hunt with all gear. I hope they do the second and third ones just like this!

Back