Metroid Prime: Hunters new details = insane!

steviep

Supreme [H]ardness
Craig from IGN's DS section had this to say with his hands-on with a near-final build of Hunters... and I must say... it is shaping up to be one hell of a game! Especially its free online mode. Sounds like they're addressing many of the "simplicity" MarioKart complaints :)

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_ds_lobby/b7594/111286614/p1/?7
http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2006/02/28/more-metroid-prime-hunters-details-hands-on/

Here are some excerpts:
NST's said that they recently ran through the single player adventure and clocked it, putting it just shorter than the time it takes to complete the original Metroid Prime on the GameCube.

Now, we're into the multiplayer aspect. The game actually has a "bark mode" like Nintendogs called "Rival Radar." Snag someone's profile in this mode and you can actually track your rival's progress over the Nintendo Wifi network.

The multiplayer modes include Survival, Bounty, Defender, Capture, Prime Hunter, and Nodes. There are, according to the demo, 19 different arenas to choose from. Lots of options to set before the battle: turn on or off the radar to see enemies on the lower screen, turn on or off friendly fire, adjust the level of damage shots give on an enemy. You can also set up what type of weapons to use during the match.

Everyone gets a "Hunters License" in Metroid Prime Hunters Wi-fi Connection. It keeps track of the Wi-fi wins/loss record, and lets people know who keeps dropping a game with a "connection history" percentage, reducing the percentage from 100% if they hit the power switch during a battle -- if the connection is accidentally lost, it won't affect that number. Nice. Now we're into Voice over IP. It's like a walkie talkie, holding A to send the message. Sounds great. You can also instant message using an on-screen keyboard.

Now we're into the NintendoWifi.com link, features. The site will track data such as win streak, kill streak, headshots, who their favorite hunter is, who their favorite rivals are, how long they've spent on the WiFi network. It tracks how frequent you've used each hunter in battle. There will be a comparative leaderboard that stacks you up against your friends and rivals.

I personally favor the thumb strap to play Metroid Prime Hunters...I just feel too disconnected from the action to play with a stylus. The thumb strap feels more like a mouse/keyboard setup on the PC, which is, in my opinion the best way of playing a First-Person Shooter.

How do the controls work? I'm guessing, move with the d-pad a la WASD, look with stylus, shoot by tapping?

Yep, that's pretty much it! There are a couple more things (like visor scanning, I think with L?), but those are the basics from the 2004 demo. I'm going to assume that they kept the same/similar scheme for Hunters.

Can't believe it's been this long since the demo. With the long single player campaign put in, it appears to be worth it!

I bought a Nintendo DS the week it was released and sold it a few months later after Metroid and Mario Kart delay was announced. As soon as Metroid gets released I'll be picking up the DS Lite, Mario Kart and Metroid. Cant wait :D

Slartibartfast said:
How do the controls work? I'm guessing, move with the d-pad a la WASD, look with stylus, shoot by tapping?

yeah.. you shoot with the shoulder button.. and to aim you use the touch screen.. i personally like to use the thumb strap.. teh demo is impressive.. i can't wait till the real thing comes out..

Back