Metroid Prime could only be patched at sub zero!

What an awesome story about one of my fav games of all time. I am curious why freezing the gamecube was needed and more importantly, why Nintendo was concerned about a bug that only occurred when played on a frozen gamecube. I live pretty far north in Canada and I can tell you that nobody up here games on frozen gamecubes and so I don't think it's happening anywhere else. :D

So seems like the code runs as fast as possible. However the bug only occurs when the cpu can run faster than what was excepted. So they have to put the dev kit into a freezer so it can run faster.
Afterwards they figure out they need to cap the code speed and not run as fast as possible to fix the issue.

So seems like the code runs as fast as possible. However the bug only occurs when the cpu can run faster than what was excepted. So they have to put the dev kit into a freezer so it can run faster.
Afterwards they figure out they need to cap the code speed and not run as fast as possible to fix the issue.
Which is bad. The game loop shouldn't be dependent on a fixed cycle rate. Some games still do it to this day. I understand why some developers still do it, as it's easier to sync multiple threads when you are dealing with a fixed rate. It makes frame pacing a lot easier, too, which is important on a game console.

So are you saying that the dev kit was overclocked in addition to being frozen? I guess that makes sense but I was really confused when they said they were just freezing it to get the error to produce itself. At stock speeds freezing shouldn't really make any difference other than slightly lower core temps when first turned on (the CPU freq would still be the same, I mean I don't think that there was thermal throttling back in those days, was there?). That said, I get it that if it's overclocked then freezing could theoretically help it run stably without artifacts for a short while. Still, you would think that the cpu would heat up really fast as soon as it is taken out of the freezer and turned on (it certainly wouldn't stay cool for the 15 minutes they were talking about).

It makes me wonder if there was some other low-heat producing component in the cube that was the source of the error and that freezing somehow slightly changed its behavior. Really strange.

So if I freeze my Game Cube and play Prime I should be able to replicate these results? Thanks for sharing the article this is some really cool stuff.

So are you saying that the dev kit was overclocked in addition to being frozen? I guess that makes sense but I was really confused when they said they were just freezing it to get the error to produce itself. At stock speeds freezing shouldn't really make any difference other than slightly lower core temps when first turned on (the CPU freq would still be the same, I mean I don't think that there was thermal throttling back in those days, was there?). That said, I get it that if it's overclocked then freezing could theoretically help it run stably without artifacts for a short while. Still, you would think that the cpu would heat up really fast as soon as it is taken out of the freezer and turned on (it certainly wouldn't stay cool for the 15 minutes they were talking about).

It makes me wonder if there was some other low-heat producing component in the cube that was the source of the error and that freezing somehow slightly changed its behavior. Really strange.

Yeah seems like there might be some thermal trotting back then. I guess in cold places it does not reach it as fast which is like overclockig.

Reactions: gvx64
like this
Yeah seems like there might be some thermal trotting back then. I guess in cold places it does not reach it as fast which is like overclockig.
OK that might make sense then. Maybe the thermal sensor that is controlling the throttling reacts slower when frozen.

Wow, the gamecube was pretty advanced back in 2001 to have thermal throttling. I remember seeing this video in 2004 showing AMD processors lighting on fire when the heatsink got taken off during gameplay:

The Pentium IV's had throttling at that time but I got the feeling that it was a pretty new feature in 2004 (the PIII's just froze when the heatsink came off).

OK that might make sense then. Maybe the thermal sensor that is controlling the throttling reacts slower when frozen.

Wow, the gamecube was pretty advanced back in 2001 to have thermal throttling. I remember seeing this video in 2004 showing AMD processors lighting on fire when the heatsink got taken off during gameplay:

The Pentium IV's had throttling at that time but I got the feeling that it was a pretty new feature in 2004 (the PIII's just froze when the heatsink came off).

Man, that vid brings me back!

The original P5 Pentium had thermal protection in 1993. I don't know if it just stopped the CPU or throttled it, but it was there. It didn't allow itself to burn up like AMD processors.

I last played through prime with PrimeHack
https://www.reddit.com/r/Metroid/comments/vodaq4/primehack_with_mods_is_stunning/

Gameplay absolutely still holds up and with actual MKB support and with 4k graphics everything else does too.

Damn I love Metroid Prime
The game was a work of art, I totally get why it's graphics scale so nicely. It's partly the insane effort from the developers that made Prime beautiful, but it is also that the game had an artistic vision that wasn't going for "look as real as possible" on the surface. They were OK with it looking almost a bit cartoony in places but they then dedicated everything to making the game's environments within that artistic vision feel so complete and with so much obvious effort to detail that the game ends up looking and feeling as good (if not better) than the most realistic games released at the time.

It's hard for me to explain this well... lets compare Prime to Halo 1 on the XBox. Both games released around the same time, with Halo being on faster hardware. Unlike Halo, Prime had almost no reflection mapping, no bump mapping, and very few (if any) hi-res textures like what Halo had. It's not that the Gamecube couldn't do those effects, the developers made a conscious decision not to go that route. Now those effects in Halo looked amazing in 2001, but nobody cares about those effects today and honestly Halo 1 just looks and feels underwhelming in 2022. On the other hand, Prime never tried to look completely real and that is the genius of the game's graphical design. It didn't go as far as Wind Waker with cell-shading but to a lesser degree it decided to fall short of looking "as real as possible" but that allowed the devs to double down and perfect the game's look within those constraints. And boy did they do it. The attention to detail in those game environments is absolutely stunning. Every room and corridor is modelled with so much time and effort it feels like you're staring into a painting every time you just stop and look around. A true masterpiece and that why it holds up so well today. Scaling up the resolution doesn't reveal any faults in the game's looks because there really aren't many faults to reveal.

The game was a work of art, I totally get why it's graphics scale so nicely. It's partly the insane effort from the developers that made Prime beautiful, but it is also that the game had an artistic vision that wasn't going for "look as real as possible" on the surface. They were OK with it looking almost a bit cartoony in places but they then dedicated everything to making the game's environments within that artistic vision feel so complete and with so much obvious effort to detail that the game ends up looking and feeling as good (if not better) than the most realistic games released at the time.

It's hard for me to explain this well... lets compare Prime to Halo 1 on the XBox. Both games released around the same time, with Halo being on faster hardware. Unlike Halo, Prime had almost no reflection mapping, no bump mapping, and very few (if any) hi-res textures like what Halo had. It's not that the Gamecube couldn't do those effects, the developers made a conscious decision not to go that route. Now those effects in Halo looked amazing in 2001, but nobody cares about those effects today and honestly Halo 1 just looks and feels underwhelming in 2022. On the other hand, Prime never tried to look completely real and that is the genius of the game's graphical design. It didn't go as far as Wind Waker with cell-shading but to a lesser degree it decided to fall short of looking "as real as possible" but that allowed the devs to double down and perfect the game's look within those constraints. And boy did they do it. The attention to detail in those game environments is absolutely stunning. Every room and corridor is modelled with so much time and effort it feels like you're staring into a painting every time you just stop and look around. A true masterpiece and that why it holds up so well today. Scaling up the resolution doesn't reveal any faults in the game's looks because there really aren't many faults to reveal.
The original Halo also ran at 30 FPS while Metroid Prime ran at 60 FPS. It makes a huge difference. Aside from that I think that more effort went into the aesthetic design of Metroid Prime compared to Halo. It's obvious that Retro were inspired by Super Metroid, as the color palette and overall world design reflects this. Phendrana Drifts was the first icy Metroid area used in a game, and it fit right in with that design language. Halo, on the other hand, doesn't look too inspired. The color palette is bland, and all the areas look copy-pasted. It was the prelude to the brown "gritty realism" aesthetic we got in the 7th console generation.

Reactions: gvx64
like this
The original Halo also ran at 30 FPS while Metroid Prime ran at 60 FPS. It makes a huge difference. Aside from that I think that more effort went into the aesthetic design of Metroid Prime compared to Halo. It's obvious that Retro were inspired by Super Metroid, as the color palette and overall world design reflects this. Phendrana Drifts was the first icy Metroid area used in a game, and it fit right in with that design language. Halo, on the other hand, doesn't look too inspired. The color palette is bland, and all the areas look copy-pasted. It was the prelude to the brown "gritty realism" aesthetic we got in the 7th console generation.
I totally agree. The monotonously repeating architecture in Halo's single player campaign (and sometimes repeating entire levels backwards, etc) was the antithesis of everything Metroid Prime strived for and excelled at. I mean Phazon Mines (the last main world in Prime) in my view was as beautiful and distinctive as Chozo Ruins. I remember tunnels in the mines where you're walking on catwalks with glowing phazon crystals all around you, it was just stunning visually -- and this is all stuff that you're seeing for the first time in late game. Developers rarely put that much effort into later levels. In Halo's case, the first three levels were amazing but after that the rest of the game felt more like a copy-paste job. Prime was the absolute opposite of that.

And I am not saying that Halo 1 was a bad game, it was way ahead of it's time in co-op and multiplayer gameplay (I blew an entire summer in high school playing Halo CTF on the PC), but I always thought that it's single player campaign was just lackluster after the first three or four amazing levels. It frustrated me because a lot of my friends at the time scoffed at me owning a cube and getting Prime in Christmas '02 because they were so obsessed with Halo. I don't think that Halo deserved to sell twice as well as Prime. It just shows the pitiful priorities that gamers had during that generation. Prime just ran circles around its single player mode especially when you consider the morph ball puzzles which was basically an entire separate game hidden within the main storyline. Also, piecing together Prime's incredibly intricate storyline with scans was beyond brilliant and really respected the gamer's intelligence and patience. Prime leaves you with this spooky, desolate but at the same time awsome feeling that I have rarely ever felt in a game before. I put Prime up there Ocarina of Time as my greatest games of all time (definitely in my top 5). Halo might be in my top 20-30.

Back