Metroid Prime 3 - Don't even think about it, just buy it!

Woohoo.... just finished the end game scavanger hunt. Now, do I go for the final boss... or go collect 100% of the items? ;o

My point is the Wii is a last gen console with a new controller, last gen games cost mostly $20 now, why should I pay double for a game bringing nothing to the table to warrant a higher price? The controller doesn't drive development costs up very much and nintendo continues to ignore online play completely but it seems its ok and tolerated because they are nintendo :rolleyes:

Your point is invalid. Its about the GAMES not the consoles, and Metroid Prime 3 will be one of the best games released this year. Too bad for you and your close mindedness.

Picked it up today, just beat Ridley. Holy cow, this is an unbelievable game. Nintendo needs to produce more AAA titles like this that actually make kickass use of the Wiimote setup. It took me 5 minutes to learn controls, and after that I honestly felt like I'd been doing it all my life. By far the most polished game I've played in a long time. :)

And to the Wii bashers still around: we feel sorry for you. Really, you can't see past the last-gen specs long enough to enjoy a truly good game. You're the ones losing here. ;)

there is jaggies on teh lcd screens and wii

but on a reg tv no jaggies so i play on reg tv

Yay. 100% complete! Then I somehow started a new game in the save file so its gone... go figure.

I would just like to say to the naysayers:
I havent really used my Wii since I beat Zelda a week after it came out, except for some wii sports here and there with friends. I went out on a limb and preordered MP:3 and let me tell you: it's great. I actually cant stop playing it. I'm about 30% done with it.
Its like Zelda, only a FPS. It's brilliant. A FPS that actually requires you to think?!?! WTFBBQ?! ;)
It's a must-have game.

Really I can't believe how awesome this game is, I played it for another 8 hours today and really haven't played a game this much for along time, funny thing is even though I've played it for about 30 hours I'm only like 60% complete, should be fun to try out on Veteran once I beat it on normal.

Really I'm pretty sure this game is more then good enough to hold me over until Galaxy's and Smash later this year.

By the way, if you want to experience the greatest 2D videogame of all time (arguably, at least one of the best) download Super Metroid on the virtual console.

First of all, wrong my friend. The greatest 2D videogame of all time would be Castlevania - Symphony of the Night.

Now, after having put that aside...

...Metroid 3 just simply, in one word, ROCKS. I do not play FPS, in fact I hate them because they are all over the place. I only play some PES when friends are around or a single player now and then, regardless of genre (yes even FPS if it is that good) that has a great story to tell.

I m all about the story. And the atmosphere. And the magic. And the fun, that comes when you combine all the above.

My sister got me a wii as a present. Metroid is the first game I got.

So, all of you who insist that next-gen is identified by graphics and polygon counts, you are wrong. Actually there is no such thing as gens in my world. That's marketing talk.

I'm 26 years old. I was never a hardcore gamer. Rarely played any game like crazy. But I am sorry for people who believe graphics is all, cause they will miss the best part of it. They will never be lost in a text adventure for an example. If graphics is all you ask for, there are some impressive demos out.

My point is the Wii is a last gen console with a new controller, last gen games cost mostly $20 now, why should I pay double for a game bringing nothing to the table to warrant a higher price? The controller doesn't drive development costs up very much and nintendo continues to ignore online play completely but it seems its ok and tolerated because they are nintendo :rolleyes:

Try this:

My point is the PS3/X360 is a last gen console with new graphics, last gen games cost mostly $20 now, why should I pay double for a game bringing nothing to the table to warrant a higher price? The graphics unnecessarily drive development costs up very much and Sony/Microsoft continue to ignore gameplay completely but it seems its ok and tolerated because they are Sony/Microsoft :rolleyes:

See how that works?
(Disclaimer: I own a 360 and very much enjoyed Gears of War. I have just been very disappointed that Microsoft hasn't actually brought anything new to the table besides lots of polygons and HDR lighting.)

I'm loving this game so far, everyone who I've let try it has loved it, and even those who only watched me play it commented on how much fun it looked. Nintendo has really returned to true gaming's roots with this generation, and I applaud them for this move.

If I have any money for a game I'm certainly not spending it on metroid, far too many great games to spend it on my disappointing Wii, maybe if they start pricing their games the same as last gen games I will start buying them because that is all they are.

If Nintendo wants to ignore online play I will never buy one of their games, especially full price.

what disappoints you about the Wii? I finally got one and could spend hours on the Wii Sports games alone.......... It's not about 'next gen' graphics and stuff with the Wii, the 'next gen' is in the controls........... Most of the games are 'last-gen' priced, $49.95; all the 'next-gen' games are $59.95

just played more prime.. the free falling battle with ridley is BAD ASS!!!!

i love the cinematics on this game..

First of all, wrong my friend. The greatest 2D videogame of all time would be Castlevania - Symphony of the Night.

Haha, the greatest 2D game is certainly not a Castlevania game. You have ANY of the SNES RPGs, LTTP, Yoshi's Island 1 and all Super Mario Bros games to compare with. While I love SOTN and the DS derivatives, I certainly wouldn't put the "greatest of all time" label on the Castlevania series.

This young man disagrees with you...

smb3box_1.jpg

256px-Super_mario_world_box.jpg

In terms of 2D sidescrollers, I'd say Super Metroid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Super Mario Bros. 3 are the three best. It would be very hard for me to choose between those three.

In terms of 2D sidescrollers, I'd say Super Metroid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Super Mario Bros. 3 are the three best. It would be very hard for me to choose between those three.

QFT...Along with Sonic 3.

Back to Prime 3. I'm at Skytown, and this level is amazing!!!!!!

Skytown drove me insane. There's too many rooms that look alike... you know, two doors and one of those lifts. I went in a lot of circles in that area.

+1 for MP3

I had just finished Bioshock and then ran out to get this game. The best way I can describe the difference, Bioshock = cotton candy MP3 = chocolate raspberry ganache cake.
Both are good in their own ways, but MP3 just has so much more substance in terms of actual play. It seems like Bioshock tried to be a thinking mans shooter but came up short when it came to anything besides the main story line.

Boss fights? MP3
Puzzles? MP3 by a mile
Controls? MP3
Story? Have to wait to beat MP3
Graphics? Bioshock

This is coming from someone who was looking forward to Bioshock for a year plus, and then ran out and got MP3 on a whim.

-dave

ever played the castlevania on the ds? those were amazing

ever played the castlevania on the ds? those were amazing
I loved those games. Dawn of Sorrow was better.

Know why I loved them? They were essentially Super Metroid with a vampire theme. They tried to duplicate everything that worked about Super Metroid, from the level layout to the map design to the "have to gain new abilities/weapons to go back and reach areas you could see but not get to earlier" mechanic.

Super Metroid did it better, though. If nothing else, the world felt much more authentic and less hokey. And there was no stupid dialog to get in the way.

Well, the games on DS aren't much more than Symphony of the Night clones, which itself borrowed heavily from Super Metroid. They're not much different than the games on the GBA, of which Aria of Sorrow was the best.

but to stay on topic... how long is this game while playing it at a casual gamer rate?

Almost finished with it. About to go the final part. I just have a few items to snag to get 100%. It's been a great experience, I played almost non stop all weekend. Definately game of the year material. Poor Bioshock, haven't given it a second look since I got MP3.

but to stay on topic... how long is this game while playing it at a casual gamer rate?

Probably 15 to 20 hours. I'm almost 12 hours in, and I have nearly 80% item completion, and from what I've heard there's about an hour or less of gameplay left for me. But, I'm far from a casual gamer and I know the Metroid Prime series backwards and forwards so I never really got stuck or anything.

My brother, who's never played a Metroid Prime game, was taking significantly longer.

Probably 15 to 20 hours. I'm almost 12 hours in, and I have nearly 80% item completion, and from what I've heard there's about an hour or less of gameplay left for me. But, I'm far from a casual gamer and I know the Metroid Prime series backwards and forwards so I never really got stuck or anything.

My brother, who's never played a Metroid Prime game, was taking significantly longer.

Yeah, I've never played a Metroid game and have got to certain points where I was like WTF and end up wondering around for hours. I have played the game like 30 hours already, I think I'm like 75% finished.

Well, the games on DS aren't much more than Symphony of the Night clones, which itself borrowed heavily from Super Metroid. They're not much different than the games on the GBA, of which Aria of Sorrow was the best.

For me, Circle of the Moon was the best Castlevania ever after having played every one.

+1 for MP3

I had just finished Bioshock and then ran out to get this game. The best way I can describe the difference, Bioshock = cotton candy MP3 = chocolate raspberry ganache cake.
Both are good in their own ways, but MP3 just has so much more substance in terms of actual play. It seems like Bioshock tried to be a thinking mans shooter but came up short when it came to anything besides the main story line.

Boss fights? MP3
Puzzles? MP3 by a mile
Controls? MP3
Story? Have to wait to beat MP3
Graphics? Bioshock

This is coming from someone who was looking forward to Bioshock for a year plus, and then ran out and got MP3 on a whim.

-dave

Yes, actually I would go one step further and argue that Bioshock is about as far from a thinking man's game as it gets. Basically it is a great looking shooter and little more. You are basically led from place to place by an arrow and a simplified map. That is not to say I mind the presence of the arrow or the map, but simply to make a point that you are being taken on what is pretty much a morbid sight seeing tour. It is a freak show. It is great in its own way but the cotton candy analogy is right on because it is pretty much all sugar (violence, visual effects, and gore). There is no real problem solving or thinking element in the game. You have some choices about how to deal with your foes but at the end of the day electrocuting them and hitting them over the head with a wrench will get you through most of the game.

Metroid is the fancy cake. It is the whole package. Metroid is a sightseeing tour as well but it is also about running around inside a gigantic puzzle. You have to think your way through each room, to a certain degree. The solutions are usually obvious but that isn't really the point, it isn't about stumping you as much as it is about forcing you to use every resource available to Samus. You have to think like Samus to get through the game and use everything you have. Getting from point A to point B requires trial and error, scanning and reading, picking up on visual clues, and thinking about the task at hand before doing it. My favorite part about the prime series is all the "ah ha!" moments where you see how the pieces fit together and the machine turns and the door powers up, ect. It is just a much more involving game.

The combat in Metroid is pretty spectacular as well. In Bioshock I beat the first boss by flinging a chair at him. In Metroid brute force isn't enough you have aim your shots (now more than ever), you need skill and timing and all your abilities. The bosses are dynamic.

I just don't think there is any question is that Metroid is a smarter, more well crafted, more fun game. And I'm playing Bioshock on an bleeding edge computer in DirectX10 and the whole nine yards. I'm about as big a graphics nut as it gets. Between Twilight Princess and Metroid I'm totally blown away by the "last generation" Wii at this point.

Bioshock isn't on my ultimate shooters list with Half Life and Half-Life 2 but Metroid is pretty close. Nintendo is still the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, but the trolls got tiring on the first page or so.

Anyway... I have never played Metroid Prime 1/2, but have played a little of some of the 2D ones. I've looked at a bunch of reviews and watched some videos, which look great. I'm interested in buying this, but am unsure if I'll be lost on the storyline/etc. having no 3D Metroid experience. Will I enjoy it still?

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, but the trolls got tiring on the first page or so.

Anyway... I have never played Metroid Prime 1/2, but have played a little of some of the 2D ones. I've looked at a bunch of reviews and watched some videos, which look great. I'm interested in buying this, but am unsure if I'll be lost on the storyline/etc. having no 3D Metroid experience. Will I enjoy it still?

I personally thought it was awesome, and I had no prior Metroid experience... it's my favorite Wii game to date.

I just don't think there is any question is that Metroid is a smarter, more well crafted, more fun game. And I'm playing Bioshock on an bleeding edge computer in DirectX10 and the whole nine yards. I'm about as big a graphics nut as it gets. Between Twilight Princess and Metroid I'm totally blown away by the "last generation" Wii at this point.

Bioshock isn't on my ultimate shooters list with Half Life and Half-Life 2 but Metroid is pretty close. Nintendo is still the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

I disagree. Bioshock is much more about the story and the environment. Playing it through a second time, you pick up on so much more of the story and the subtle hints it throws at you over and over (I'll stop there, I don't wanna give anything away, but if you've played it you'll probably understand). Having just recently played bioshock before metroid I was thoroughly unimmersed in the metroid environment. Bioshock felt like a well written piece of fiction, while metroid was just a video game.

In terms of gameplay, the two are just different. In metroid you have to figure out how to beat certain enemies, but generally speaking there's basically 1 way to accomplish something. In bioshock, you can quite literally go through the entire game using nothing but your wrench or telekenesis- or you can never use either of them at all. Thats the point, you have complete freedom. Metroid is a puzzle with a solution.

They're both excellent games with their respective strengths and honestly they're so different that its not a fair comparison at all. Also, I think anyone who played and enjoyed system shock 2 has a much different interpretation of bioshock.

Back