Metroid Prime 3 - Don't even think about it, just buy it!

I'm a few more hours in and I'm a little worried about the weapons upgrades.

I only have one "???" left, and I'm pretty sure the Super Missile fits in there... so maybe the beam upgrades all go in the same spot? There better not just be one damn beam upgrade in the whole game...

On the plus side, the galaxy gets bigger and bigger as you go on. I'm amazed at the overall size and variety of the worlds in this game. Each planet is huge and has many different enviornments within it. And one thing that I really appreciate about Metroid Prime (and Metroid games in general) is that every room is designed with a purpose. You never really see two rooms that look a like because each of them have their own unique design in regards to architecture and texturing. It's pretty nuts to think about how much time must be spent on level design alone.

Well, back to playing now ;D

OK - Just picked up the game and well...Ehhh!

The game so far is fairly slow. Keep in mind I have not played Metroid since 8 bit version :eek:. You start in your space ship and dock some big ship to meet with some dude. As you walk to the meeting the game constanly tells you to speak with people however everyone has the generic same response of "Wow - you're...." or "I'm busy now" so there is no value as of yet to speak to anyone.

Now I get to the controls and holy freaking christ is it super hard / annoying to keep the damn thing stable and in one position. The thing is moving all over the place and I am getting fairly annoyed trying to operate it. I will admit being the ball was cool and getting the rocket upgrades were also a nice touch so far however I hope I get the hang of the controls more and that the game gets way more interesting than it has been so far...

Sorry if this annoyed anyone but that is my first 30 minutes with Metroid.

The game so far is fairly slow. Keep in mind I have not played Metroid since 8 bit version :eek:. You start in your space ship and dock some big ship to meet with some dude. As you walk to the meeting the game constanly tells you to speak with people however everyone has the generic same response of "Wow - you're...." or "I'm busy now" so there is no value as of yet to speak to anyone.

Now I get to the controls and holy freaking christ is it super hard / annoying to keep the damn thing stable and in one position. The thing is moving all over the place and I am getting fairly annoyed trying to operate it. I will admit being the ball was cool and getting the rocket upgrades were also a nice touch so far however I hope I get the hang of the controls more and that the game gets way more interesting than it has been so far...

Metroid games are a little like Zelda games. They take their time drawing you into the story, but the pace consistently ramps up and you are seriously into the game before you're 1/5 of the way in. At first, not much is usually going on, but that doesn't last long ;)

Why can't they comapre the two...they are both games and they even in a similar genre. He has a perference of one over the other.

One is a fps, the other is a 3D action/adventure game. Yes it has a FPS gun but it's not really a fps.

If I were simply say both are FPS, then Metroid would be a dumbed down FPS

The beginning of the game is for learning the controls, and I suggest you turn down the sensitivity ingame if you're having issues controlling still. I've worked myself up to Advanced controls, but started at the Standard setting to learn.

wow wow weee za.. i'm like 2 horus in.. wow.. awesome game.. haha i like the sense of urgency they put into the game on the planet norion

Sit further back or put the sensor closer to the TV. I noticed that too when I was sitting too close.

Man this game is getting on my fuckin nerves. I ran out and got a wii for my birthday and metroid prime thinkin this is gonna be the greatest fps experience of my life. Man was I wrong. I can't get the damn remote to control the way I want. Either it goes all crazy and start spinning around in circles or the crosshairs just totally disappear and I get no movement for a couple seconds. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but its really annoying. I tried putting the sennsor on top and on the bottom of my tv and its still funky. I tried basic, normal, and advanced controls and nothing. I'm sitting about 10ft back so I guess Im back far enough but its really irritating. Anyone have any suggestions?

Controlling stuff in the Wii menu works ok, so I don't think its the wiimote or the sensor....

thanks

Man this game is getting on my fuckin nerves. I ran out and got a wii for my birthday and metroid prime thinkin this is gonna be the greatest fps experience of my life. Man was I wrong. I can't get the damn remote to control the way I want. Either it goes all crazy and start spinning around in circles or the crosshairs just totally disappear and I get no movement for a couple seconds. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but its really annoying. I tried putting the sennsor on top and on the bottom of my tv and its still funky. I tried basic, normal, and advanced controls and nothing. I'm sitting about 10ft back so I guess Im back far enough but its really irritating. Anyone have any suggestions?

Controlling stuff in the Wii menu works ok, so I don't think its the wiimote or the sensor....

thanks

I hope when you put it above/below the tv you changed the location of the sensor bar in the Wii menu options. I know my TV is near a window and i had control problems with it on top because of the light. Had to put it below. Make sure there's nothing too reflective right near the bar because it will screw up controlling a lot. I had that problem at school countless times with the other crap on my TV.

Edit: really if you are getting no crosshair i would bet you need to change the options in the wii menu for where the sensor bar is. i didnt do that when i moved back home and was extremely pissed, then realized my stupidity.

thanks

I have the system sensitivity set at almost the lowest setting, but game sensitivity set on Advanced. Not sure if the two have anything to do with the other, but this works out really well for me. I'd suggest turning your system sensitivity to low, and your game setting to basic, and then go from there.

Also, if you're aiming the Wiimote out of the sensor bar's range, the screen will go nuts and spin since the game thinks you're trying to spin your perspective. I play with the sensor bar sitting on top of my tv (42" Sceptre LCD) at about 8 ft away. So to look dead on, the Wiimote is slightly tilted up, but resting on my knee or couch cushion.

Also, i'm not making assumptions, but you have used a Wii before, right? If you havent, maybe you're just not used to the controls yet and not understanding the field of motion you actually need to control the pointer. Only wrist movements are really needed here, so just make your movements small. You should be able to determine the problem.

Also... if the crosshair is disappearing, check the battery lvl on your Wiimote. It may be losing connection with the system for some reason. Did you take off the plastic covering that sits on the end of the Wiimote? That could be it.. or maybe its dirty.

I hope when you put it above/below the tv you changed the location of the sensor bar in the Wii menu options. I know my TV is near a window and i had control problems with it on top because of the light. Had to put it below. Make sure there's nothing too reflective right near the bar because it will screw up controlling a lot. I had that problem at school countless times with the other crap on my TV.

Edit: really if you are getting no crosshair i would bet you need to change the options in the wii menu for where the sensor bar is. i didnt do that when i moved back home and was extremely pissed, then realized my stupidity.

Yeah that too.

Definitely check your system settings to be sure that everything jives. I'm betting you're overlooking something.

I have a window right next to my TV, and sometimes sunlight coming in messes with the Wiimote. Closing the blinds helps me a lot.

You don't have any bright light sources near the sensor bar or shining into the Wiimote, do you?

thanks

You standing or sitting? I had this problem the other night, the cursor would go away and I was stuck spinning while I was waving the remote around like an idiot to get it to show again and it kept doing that.

My problem was that the sensor bar wasn't a slight tad over the edge of the tv base, it was back an inch or so. I moved it right to the edge and then had it stick out a sliver or two over. That was it. It couldn't "see" the remote when I sat down. I only noticed it with Metroid because since I got my new tv all I've done with my Wii was Wiisports and I STOOD up lol.

That's my suggestion, check the bar and have nothing block it.

I hope when you put it above/below the tv you changed the location of the sensor bar in the Wii menu options.

Yeah, Whenever I changed the position of the sensor, I changed it in the wii system settings.

I know my TV is near a window and i had control problems with it on top because of the light. Had to put it below. Make sure there's nothing too reflective right near the bar because it will screw up controlling a lot. I had that problem at school countless times with the other crap on my TV.

The window is to the right of my tv, so no direct light is shining on the sensor. Plus I have the blinds closed and the curtains drawn.

I moved the sensor bar back to the top of my lcd because I figured the reflective finish of my tv stand might be causing issues. I also double checked to make sure the sensor bar is at the top in the wii settings

I have the system sensitivity set at almost the lowest setting, but game sensitivity set on Advanced. Not sure if the two have anything to do with the other, but this works out really well for me. I'd suggest turning your system sensitivity to low, and your game setting to basic, and then go from there.

i tried setting the sensitivty to the lowest for a little bit, but I had to get really close to the tv to be able to move the cursor and the hand would disappear and making it almost impossible to use. putting the sensitivity on 2 or higher doesn't do that.

Also, if you're aiming the Wiimote out of the sensor bar's range, the screen will go nuts and spin since the game thinks you're trying to spin your perspective. I play with the sensor bar sitting on top of my tv (42" Sceptre LCD) at about 8 ft away. So to look dead on, the Wiimote is slightly tilted up, but resting on my knee or couch cushion.

I'm thinking that might be the problem. I notice the crosshairs seems to turn yellow alot when I'm trying to move around instead of staying green. It's like if I try to look left or right when i move the wiimote back to the center it keeps looking in that direction

Also, i'm not making assumptions, but you have used a Wii before, right? If you havent, maybe you're just not used to the controls yet and not understanding the field of motion you actually need to control the pointer. Only wrist movements are really needed here, so just make your movements small. You should be able to determine the problem.

I played it once at a gamestop for a couple minutes and once at my friends house for about a hour and some change (he had wii sports). Both times the controls were different but after a while i got used to them. so this is really the first time ive got to play it for an extended period of time by myself

Also... if the crosshair is disappearing, check the battery lvl on your Wiimote. It may be losing connection with the system for some reason. Did you take off the plastic covering that sits on the end of the Wiimote? That could be it.. or maybe its dirty.

When I press the home button the battery seems to have a full charge. I'll try swapping in some rechargeable ones tho to see if that helps any

I have a window right next to my TV, and sometimes sunlight coming in messes with the Wiimote. Closing the blinds helps me a lot.

Mines is to the right of my tv, but i dont think that itd be much of a problem as a lot of light really isnt coming in, plus i got the shades and curtains closed

You don't have any bright light sources near the sensor bar or shining into the Wiimote, do you?

Naw, it's on top of my tv, no light sources really

You standing or sitting? I had this problem the other night, the cursor would go away and I was stuck spinning while I was waving the remote around like an idiot to get it to show again and it kept doing that.

I'm sitting on my bed trying to play. Both other times Ive tried it I was standing so maybe thats why Im having some issues. Waving the remote around like an idiot is the worst feeling, im just glad noones been able to see me do it

My problem was that the sensor bar wasn't a slight tad over the edge of the tv base, it was back an inch or so. I moved it right to the edge and then had it stick out a sliver or two over. That was it. It couldn't "see" the remote when I sat down. I only noticed it with Metroid because since I got my new tv all I've done with my Wii was Wiisports and I STOOD up lol.

ill try hanging the sensor over the tv a little bit to see it that helps. my tv's gotta glossy finish so I dont know if maybe the something is being reflected of the panel or something and making the contorls freak out. Ima try wii sports just to see if it does the same thing

That's my suggestion, check the bar and have nothing block it.

I'll quadruple check everything just to be sure

thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm gonna give wiiplay a try to see if it does the same thing, then ima move some stuff around pray for the best. Maybe the wii's level of awesome is too much for me to handle......I've been playing with a controller from atari days so I guess it's gonna take a while for me to get used to the wiimote/nunchuck combo

the only other thing is im left handed, so i dont know if thats an issue. playing with my right hands seems a little better, but it feels so awkward and after 5 minutes or so my wrist starts hurting.

thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm gonna give wiiplay a try to see if it does the same thing, then ima move some stuff around pray for the best. Maybe the wii's level of awesome is too much for me to handle......I've been playing with a controller from atari days so I guess it's gonna take a while for me to get used to the wiimote/nunchuck combo

the only other thing is im left handed, so i dont know if thats an issue. playing with my right hands seems a little better, but it feels so awkward and after 5 minutes or so my wrist starts hurting.

I'd very much doubt its a left hand vs right hand thing. With the way the Wiimote and Nunchuk are... there's no ergonomic specifics to it, so ambidexterous useage should be a no brainer with it.

I'm thinking that your problem has to be somewhere around the sensor bar. There has to be some sort of interferance here. Just make sure that the way you are going to use it is how you set it up for use... ie, if you plan to sit, make sure the bar is in clear view of the Wiimote and be sure its sitting at the very edge of the tv if its on the top of it.

Other than that... yeah... try another game to see if the same things happens. As for the "cursor turning yellow", yes, that's you moving the Wiimote out of range of the sensor bar. Remember, small movements are a good thing :). I'm using advanced setting now, and you barely have to move the Wiimote to get a response.

Just stick with it... i'm sure you'll work it out.

I'm a few more hours in and I'm a little worried about the weapons upgrades.

I only have one "???" left, and I'm pretty sure the Super Missile fits in there... so maybe the beam upgrades all go in the same spot? There better not just be one damn beam upgrade in the whole game...

On the plus side, the galaxy gets bigger and bigger as you go on. I'm amazed at the overall size and variety of the worlds in this game. Each planet is huge and has many different enviornments within it. And one thing that I really appreciate about Metroid Prime (and Metroid games in general) is that every room is designed with a purpose. You never really see two rooms that look a like because each of them have their own unique design in regards to architecture and texturing. It's pretty nuts to think about how much time must be spent on level design alone.

Well, back to playing now ;D

The beam upgrades stack like in Super Metroid. They all go in the same spot.

I'd very much doubt its a left hand vs right hand thing. With the way the Wiimote and Nunchuk are... there's no ergonomic specifics to it, so ambidexterous useage should be a no brainer with it.

I'm thinking that your problem has to be somewhere around the sensor bar. There has to be some sort of interferance here. Just make sure that the way you are going to use it is how you set it up for use... ie, if you plan to sit, make sure the bar is in clear view of the Wiimote and be sure its sitting at the very edge of the tv if its on the top of it.

Other than that... yeah... try another game to see if the same things happens. As for the "cursor turning yellow", yes, that's you moving the Wiimote out of range of the sensor bar. Remember, small movements are a good thing :). I'm using advanced setting now, and you barely have to move the Wiimote to get a response.

Just stick with it... i'm sure you'll work it out.

i just tried wii sports and things were a lot better (even tho the games there dont require that much precision). im gonna give it some more time to see if anything changes.

thanks

I don't think any of the Wii Sports games make use of the sensor like Metroid does. There's got to be some kind of interference or something is not set up right because the controls are smooth as butter. You said you have Wii Play, why not try the shooting game in that as it uses the sensor bar just like Metroid.

I don't think any of the Wii Sports games make use of the sensor like Metroid does. There's got to be some kind of interference or something is not set up right because the controls are smooth as butter. You said you have Wii Play, why not try the shooting game in that as it uses the sensor bar just like Metroid.

it was a typo, ive since edited my post. it was wii sports, not wii play

Damn.

Do you have any other games that make use of the sensor bar? How does the pointer feel in the menus when you're selecting channels and stuff?

Damn.

Do you have any other games that make use of the sensor bar? How does the pointer feel in the menus when you're selecting channels and stuff?

naw, i just got the wii today, so all i have is metroid and wii sports. if you can recommend one i can try renting it to see if theres any issues w/ that game. navigating the menu works fine, no issues there, and even when i pause metroid the controls seem to work fine. I took Saloma Teale's advice and toned down my hand movements a little and it helped, but it just doens't really feel right. I have to keep my hand perfectly still and barely move the wiimote around to be able to control samus properly. it seems like while playing i got out of the range of the sensor bar a lot, and that led to some of the problems i was having. sitting on the tip of my bed dead center of the sensor bar fixed that, but i really cant get comfortable playing that way.

well worst comes to worst and after a couple weeks/months im just not feeling, my gf will be glad to know shes getting a wii for her bday/Christmas

I would suggest u lower the sensativity of the controls (anything other than "advanced").

Here's my question... I have read that in MP3 you can do a quick 180 turn in less than a second.... how?

And finally... what do you guys think of the fact that there is a strong possibility of a online multiplayer game for MP3... :D

metroid3_multiplayer.jpg

Eh, I doubt that MP3 will ever have multiplayer. The online features right now are the friend vouchers. Metroid isnt a multiplayer environment.

You guys are funny. Super Metroid will always be the Metroid game, all the others are just an illusion. :p

Seriously though, I might grab this in a week or so. I'm in need of a true AAA title to tide me over to Halo 3 (which, laugh as you might, I will be getting on release day).

Is there anywhere that explains what the friend voucher is (or any of the other stuff)?

I don't think there is any word on what they are in the manual?

That would be a cool addition to have something like capture the flag or capture and hold type thing. Even if its not included the game is still a top notch AAA title thats for sure :)

Is there anywhere that explains what the friend voucher is (or any of the other stuff)?

I don't think there is any word on what they are in the manual?

You send them to someone on your friends list who has the game and then they can be turned into a friend credit to buy stuff in the bonus section. You need two of them to get the bobble head for your ship. Unfortunately I don't have anyone with the game on my list. If anyone wants some friend credits PM me and we can exchange friend codes so we can turn our friend vouchers into friend credits.

I picked this up today, and while it's a good game so far it definitely doesn't feel like Metroid to me. Metroid is about exploring planets on your own, looking for powerups, killing bosses and exploring. This feels more like Halo or Rebel Commando at this point. Too much talking, too many other people around, not to mention starting the game in a spaceship with aliens attacking.... can anyone say Halo 2?

I really hope I get out of the war at some point and get out on my own, otherwise this feels like been there, done that, this time with new controls.

That's only the intro, after that you get to explore planets all by your lonesome for the most part. Occasionally you'll interact with the AU's, but they're far from human so you feel pretty isolated. I've played the other two Primes to completion, and aside from the better controls and the slight ramp up in shooting elements, this game fits right in with the other two. The only real difference is that you get to explore more than one planet this time, but they're all quite large and have multiple areas with plenty of hidden areas and upgrades.

Yea, I'm still on my first time though Metroid Prime 3 and I'm just really taking in the scenery, played it for 21 hours already, next time though I will definitely be a lot faster.

you need to be at least 3 feet away from the sensor to get perfect control movement

please read your wii manuals

iam getting a 32inch sony tritron tv with component today for 100 bucks
to play metroid prime 3 on
yay can't wait

iam getting a 32inch sony tritron tv with component today for 100 bucks
to play metroid prime 3 on
yay can't wait

Thats cool, yeah I play Metroid on a 30" widescreen hdtv (in 480p) I think I might of almost got a too large screen though as I pretty much have to sit 6-7 feet away from the screen or it gives me headaches, not that big of an issue though.

I woke this morning with metroid on the brain and decided to give it another shot. much better this morning as far as controls are concerned. i cant play more than an hour or 2 as my wrist starts hurting, but im guessing its because im not used to it yet. I put the sensor back on top of my tv, and used the plastic thing this time, made controlling a little easier. the game seems a lot like halo to me. i only played metroid and super metroid, but this is so different. its not bad mind you, but there seems to be a lot of halo influences in it.

I'm still not all the way sold on the wiimote for fps, but I can see the benefits. I got the lasso and damn that thing is cool. ripping shields off the bad guys is fun i cant front

thanks everyone for all the help tho

Are you resting your hand on your lap while you play? Make sure to find a position that's comfortable, your wrist shouldn't be hurting. I can play for hours without the slightest hint of fatigue, so just be sure you're in the most comfortable position.

Yeah so I spent more time on the game last night. Really tried to enjoy it and well...found myself forcing it. It's just not as cool as the game was when I was younger. The enemies all same generic. The other hunters have no cool factor to them. The game reminds me of Starfox or something like that - kind of cool but missing and lacking something. I guess perhaps I am older now and or whatever but I think I will return the game.

Back