Metroid Prime 3 - Don't even think about it, just buy it!

Wow, now I remember why I keep coming here.
You guys are hilarious.

I get the feeling someone is going to come back and dig their hole deeper...

Back on topic....
I am still waiting for my MP3 to arrive in the mail. I'm gonna try to finish Zelda in the meantime. (74 hours, just got in Hyrule Castle. Amazing game.)

Same thing happened to me. I'm also on Veteran and he's proved to be the biggest challenge so far. I don't know if you've noticed, but he also has an orb on his back, so be sure to save enough energy to take down that. Also, never stay in hyper mode too long as it does drain a lot of health.

Yeah... I noticed the one on his back as soon as he started charging at me (after you destroy the 3 on his front). I can destroy the 4 covers revealing the white glowy, then destroy those to have them burst into flame, but by the time that happens i'm so low on health from Hyper Mode that I cant re-enter to finish him off.

Did you find that there were any health or phazon replenishers anywhere? I couldnt seem to find any sitting around, nor did anything drop off of him while I was fighting.

Oh... i'll also add that I can get all of that accomplished without taking any damage from the boss. The thing that is killing me is Hyper Mode.

I was hoping this would be 5 pages of people talking about a good game....lol
I should have expected what I read in the first 2 pages then stopped reading.

I will buy this game used for the sole reason that I just can't afford to buy a lot of games at sticker price, nothing else. I may rent it though just to get my kicks in before any purchase...it looks like fun.

I was hoping this would be 5 pages of people talking about a good game....lol
I should have expected what I read in the first 2 pages then stopped reading.

I will buy this game used for the sole reason that I just can't afford to buy a lot of games at sticker price, nothing else. I may rent it though just to get my kicks in before any purchase...it looks like fun.

Dont believe the naysayers. They've never played it.

It truly shames me to see people putting graphics above gameplay. I guarantee some of the people arguing that this is a last gen game are some of the same people who whine because gameplay isnt as good as it used to be. Then they make this game with fantastic gameplay and not as good of graphics and people say they refuse to buy it because it doesnt look as good as the ps3 and 360!!! lmao now I know what developers mean when they say they cant please everyone, what a bunch of whiny biyatches

Did you find that there were any health or phazon replenishers anywhere? I couldnt seem to find any sitting around, nor did anything drop off of him while I was fighting.

You get a few health things when destroying the red orbs, but as you said it's pretty easy to do that without getting hit. There's one time where you get more though. You know after you destroy a white ball in Hyper mode how he strengthens his feet and stomps around, then you have to hit his feet with more ball bombs? After you destroy each foot you usually get one purple or one red orb, which isn't much but it helps.

Like I said though, the key is to never stay in Hyper Mode too long. Just stay in it to get off five or so shots at an orb, than get out. I know my problem was that sometimes he'd seal off his orbs for a long time, and I'd stay in hyper mode far too long waiting for him to open up again, then I'd be corrupted and lose a whole bunch of health.

How many hours is the game supposed to be to complete it?

IIRC Gametrailers mentioned in their review that when they finished the game they were at roughly twenty hours, which was on standard difficulty and 85% complete.

I just got it in the mail today.. but will probably not play it till sometime next week.. i got school work, and other things to do... can't wait to play it though

He said he wasn't writing a review and that these were his impressions.

I will agree that technically these graphics aren't "better than anything on PS3 or 360", but I think you'll see where he's coming from when you play the game for a while. There's a lot to be said about artistic direction and I've always felt the Prime series was second to none in that regard.

When most shooters are content with recycling the same rooms over and over again, the Prime games have always made nearly every room distinct and visually engaging. Prime 3 carries on this fine tradition, and it's obvious that they have some incredibly talented artists on their team.

As much as I loved Bioshock, as striking as it looked, I find Corruption more visually engaging thanks to the incredible variety in the planets and their various regions. This game really shows off what the Wii is capable of technically, especially in regards to lighting and particle effects, but all the graphical features in the world can't create a strong and coherent artistic vision, something that Corruption has in spades.

I agree that art direction *is* paramount (and I say that as someone who GREATLY preferred Wind Waker's art direction over TP's), but what I'm pointing out here is that MP3--with all its great direction and whatnot--doesn't have the level of detail that your higher end 360 and PS3 games do, so saying it looks better than all of those games is pretty disingenuous. I plan to pick up Prime3 as soon as I've finished a couple other titles, and I'm certainly VERY impressed with what it does (played the demo station at EB last night), don't get me wrong here. I just think proclaiming it as better than games that CLEARLY have higher detail levels is just asking for fanboy attacks that you can't possibly hope to win.

Let it be enough that MP3 is beautifully done and is Wii's best looking game to date; it proves that the little box is capable of more than what year 1's software has shown us so far, which should be enough to give everyone hope for the titles to come in year 2.

and I say that as someone who GREATLY preferred Wind Waker's art direction over TP's

Same here. Twilight Princess looked great, but I absolutely adored the cel-shaded storybook style visuals of Wind Waker. I remember when I first got into the Death Mountain area with all the lava and I first saw that huge fountain of fire shoot up, I just stood and stared at it for about 30 seconds.

And I agree that a comment like the one that was made is just going to open up a big can of worms, but it was probably due to it being imprecise. As I said, I imagine he meant that he prefers the visual style of MP3 to what's on offer on the other systems, and I can fully understand that as I totally agree, but the way it was worded made it seem a little ignorant for sure.

I made it a few more hours in, and got some new items which are pretty cool. I can't imagine what some of these other "???" spots are...

I have one gripe, and its that this is being played out way too linearly for a Metroid game. Yeah, theres backtracking and item collecting... but the words "Objective Complete" never belong anywhere near a Metroid game. I feel like Retro Studios has lost sight of the original Metroid forumla and got it tangled up with a more generic FPS feeling. Too much talking, too much story delivered to you. I thought that Metroid Prime had a great story in the sense that you had to discover it yourself by reading through the logs that you scan... sort of like the Half Life approach to telling a story.

I haven't gotten stuck yet, and thats when I know something is wrong. On the plus side though, I'm really liking the controls. I never thought that they'd be as good as Nintendo hyped them up to be, but they're pretty damn close.

the way it was worded made it seem a little ignorant for sure.

Can someone name me one game on PS3 or 360 that runs at a perfectly smooth 60FPS? (that maintains the level of detail in the MP series? I ask this as someone who doesn't own either PS3 or 360, and JUST recently bought a Wii only for this game. 60FPS is quite a feat considering the level of detail the game has. Especially for a first person game.. it really makes it more immersive. The art is phenomenal, but so are the details in each world. Liquid substances flay out as the pour from something... fog on the visor.. realistic animations... fauna and wildlife, etc... these things matter more TO ME than textures and lighting, which the MP series also possesses plentifully. Calling that statement ignorant is failure to acknowledge someone else's views and preferences.

For the record, I'm not a Wii fanboy; I'm a Retro Studios fanboy.

I made it a few more hours in, and got some new items which are pretty cool. I can't imagine what some of these other "???" spots are...

I have one gripe, and its that this is being played out way too linearly for a Metroid game. Yeah, theres backtracking and item collecting... but the words "Objective Complete" never belong anywhere near a Metroid game. I feel like Retro Studios has lost sight of the original Metroid forumla and got it tangled up with a more generic FPS feeling. Too much talking, too much story delivered to you. I thought that Metroid Prime had a great story in the sense that you had to discover it yourself by reading through the logs that you scan... sort of like the Half Life approach to telling a story.

I haven't gotten stuck yet, and thats when I know something is wrong. On the plus side though, I'm really liking the controls. I never thought that they'd be as good as Nintendo hyped them up to be, but they're pretty damn close.

see, heres the thing. I wasnt that HUGE of a metroid fan because of all the backtracking and scanning. Now i think corruption is 10 x better because of its new design. Shrug

Can someone name me one game on PS3 or 360 that runs at a perfectly smooth 60FPS? (that maintains the level of detail in the MP series? I ask this as someone who doesn't own either PS3 or 360, and JUST recently bought a Wii only for this game. 60FPS is quite a feat considering the level of detail the game has. Especially for a first person game.. it really makes it more immersive. The art is phenomenal, but so are the details in each world. Liquid substances flay out as the pour from something... fog on the visor.. realistic animations... fauna and wildlife, etc... these things matter more TO ME than textures and lighting, which the MP series also possesses plentifully. Calling that statement ignorant is failure to acknowledge someone else's views and preferences.

For the record, I'm not a Wii fanboy; I'm a Retro Studios fanboy.

Madden 2008 runs at 60FPS on 360. Several other games do as well. And also, according to reviews, Metroid is silky smooth MOST of the time but has occasional framerate hiccups.

Look, we all get that Metroid looks and plays great, but this whole notion of "OMG ti's the bestest game EVAH!" is just...juvenile. Can't you just call it a great game, accept that other great games exist as well, that some games do some things better and worse than this one does and move on? I mean really, holy freaking cow, man.

You are spot on here, and a lot of reviewers agree with you about the linear issue. This game is more streamlined than the past 3D Metroids. I think it is debateable whether this is a welcome change or not. Personally, I loved the original Metroid Prime but I found the exploration a little daunting. That game was probably more faithful to the Metroid formula. Having the game in 3D complicates things for a lot of players. I think they are trying to widen the audience a bit with this game.

I think the way they are bottlenecking you and channeling you from one part of the game to another is pretty transparent here. In the past you had to sort of had to think about where to go next. Zelda used to be like that too. Now the storyline sort of tells you where to go. But those old 2D games sometimes got frusterating as well.

The formula has also changed a great deal because instead of descending into a single planet and exploring it entirely you go from planet to planet. It has lost some of that claustrophobic feeling. They have also integrated the suit upgrades into the plot as opposed to just hiding them somewhere.

I really like this game as I've said before but it is a bit different from the other Metroid games. It is more of a shooter and less of an adventure game. It is challenging but in a different way than Super Metroid.

I think you could make a similar argument about Twilight Princess but to a lesser degree.

I never thought the Prime series was all that faithful to Super Metroid to begin with. I'd really love to see a bona fide DS or Wii 2D Metroid. I'm glad the Prime series is done with at this point.

Calling that statement ignorant is failure to acknowledge someone else's views and preferences.

No, ignorant doesn't imply anything other than the fact that you aren't aware of something. I realize a lot of people think it has a negative connotation, but that's not really the case here. As is obvious in your post, you're not really aware of what the PS3 and 360 have to offer, and I was merely saying that what you said makes it seem like you're ignorant of what those to systems can do.

If you'll notice, I was actually trying to defend your statement because I agree with you to a certain extent. I don't think that the game technically has better graphics than most games on the PS3 or 360, but I do believe it has a far better artistic vision and a lot more variety. And yes, the smooth framerate is a huge plus, as I'm something of a framewhore myself.

What people are saying here about the really intuitive controls has gotten me really interested, I bought a wii on release, but the response times of Zelda where too bad and that was the only real good game out, but now that this game is out, (and is supposedly very good) plus smash bros brawl (omg that game is gonna be so good) plus guitar hero 3 for teh wii, and Resident evil I may have to invest.

Oh and if people want to know the full story without playing the game checkout this

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5261.html

its a retrospective of every single one

Oh and the 360 is boring, full of pretty visual but linear and boring games, I actually got depressed when I had my 360 with the games.

What people are saying here about the really intuitive controls has gotten me really interested, I bought a wii on release, but the response times of Zelda where too bad and that was the only real good game out, but now that this game is out, (and is supposedly very good) plus smash bros brawl (omg that game is gonna be so good) plus guitar hero 3 for teh wii, and Resident evil I may have to invest.

Oh and if people want to know the full story without playing the game checkout this

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5261.html

its a retrospective of every single one

Oh and the 360 is boring, full of pretty visual but linear and boring games, I actually got depressed when I had my 360 with the games.

Nice link. I have to disagree about 360's games, though. If mine hadn't died--repeatedly--I'd have been on FNR3 *constantly* :D

wow, this thread went down the toilet. itd be nice if the mods banned people for trolling. how are you going to judge a game you've never played?

Anyway I dont have a wii because nintendo and all theyre infinite wisdom has decided to make a system thsts cheap and fun to play (aka its been virtually sold out for over a year now). Before seeing the GT review, i figured the game would have gotten a 7 or an 8, i wasnt expecting to here its probably one of the best shooters on any console ever. Metroid, Strikers, Zelda, Paper Mario, and even Mario Party are some games that I'm very interested in. And Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros haven't even been released yet. My birthdays in a hour and 21 minutes, so I'm hoping I can snag one sometime tomorrow

wow, this thread went down the toilet. itd be nice if the mods banned people for trolling. how are you going to judge a game you've never played?

Anyway I dont have a wii because nintendo and all theyre infinite wisdom has decided to make a system thsts cheap and fun to play (aka its been virtually sold out for over a year now). Before seeing the GT review, i figured the game would have gotten a 7 or an 8, i wasnt expecting to here its probably one of the best shooters on any console ever. Metroid, Strikers, Zelda, Paper Mario, and even Mario Party are some games that I'm very interested in. And Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros haven't even been released yet. My birthdays in a hour and 21 minutes, so I'm hoping I can snag one sometime tomorrow

Costco is actually a pretty good source. I've seen 4-5 of them just sitting there. Bundles of course (usually 2-3 games), but it beats gambling on trying to get it at EB/BB/etc.

Madden 2008 runs at 60FPS on 360.

lol

Look, we all get that Metroid looks and plays great, but this whole notion of "OMG ti's the bestest game EVAH!" is just...juvenile. Can't you just call it a great game, accept that other great games exist as well, that some games do some things better and worse than this one does and move on?

I am readily willing to say that. However, this thread is about Metroid Prime 3, and that's why I'm so riled up. I haven't played a game this good since, well, Metroid Prime 2. I don't think what I said sounded juvenile... I was only voicing my thoughts from my current progress in the game. Yes, I am fired up, but rightfully so! This series is quickly overtaking my #1 slot over of Zelda, FF, Castlevania, Dragon Quest.. etc

No, ignorant doesn't imply anything other than the fact that you aren't aware of something. I realize a lot of people think it has a negative connotation, but that's not really the case here.
yeah I gotcha

As is obvious in your post, you're not really aware of what the PS3 and 360 have to offer, and I was merely saying that what you said makes it seem like you're ignorant of what those to systems can do. If you'll notice, I was actually trying to defend your statement because I agree with you to a certain extent. I don't think that the game technically has better graphics than most games on the PS3 or 360, but I do believe it has a far better artistic vision and a lot more variety.

I know from a hardware standpoint, the X360 and the PS3 piss rings around Wii. But that doesn't contribute to the overall polish of the visuals - that's up to the developers. I am floored by the immersive environs of MP3... :eek: There's always something to do. Even if you just leave the controller idle, Samus will react accordingly.. like she seems bored. If you ever get stumped, you can shoot random surroundings for target practice (my favorite are the birds/flying creatures in the sky) This applies to the othe two MPs as well.

The one thing I haven't really noticed, is the music/sound effects. I think that was the only thing that's slightly lacking... (or I'm just too immersed in the action)... I'll try to pay attention to that later tonight.

And yes, the smooth framerate is a huge plus, as I'm something of a framewhore myself

Good to hear! I wish more developers would pay attention to things like that... it's a shame that it's sort of a rare, exotic find to get liquid framerates these days.

WOW.. i just played an hour of the game... WOW.. just WOW..
i love what they did with the game..

i like that they have more characters and voice acting.. you're not all isolated adn stuff like before..

i just landed on the planet with all the crazy battling going on...

the cinematics so far are awesome..

visuals are not Xbox 360.. but they're nice and crisp and clean... very large improvement over the GCN MP games..

Yea, I already played Prime 3 for 10 hours and I only got the game yesterday, although I'm definitely taking my time on the first run though, having a blast so far. Really if I beat the game to quickly I think It's fun enough for a run though on Vetran and maby hard after that if Galaxy's still isn't out.

I am about 7 hours in on veteran mode and I must say this game is amazing. I got 70% done on MP1 and am at the Sky dungeon in TP, but stopped to play this instead.

Compared to the first one, it is so much easier to die in this one. Also, this game might not have the most spectacular graphics out of all the consoles, it clearly owns every Wii game out to date, along with the original Prime. Pop in MP1 and you will see that the difference is pretty noticeable. The thing that I am most impressed with graphically is the attention to detail. No two rooms look the same, and even a meaningless corridor is decked out with detail. I find myself hoping to not encounter enemies just so I can take my sweet time looking at everything. There has not been a single room I have walked into that felt like it was less important than the other rooms when it came to detail.

The boss fights are AMAZING. I cannot comprehend defeating these bosses with a dual analog controller. It just would not be fun. Unless you have played this game, do us all a favor and just don't say anything. If you have a Wii, this is a must own title.

Nice link. I have to disagree about 360's games, though. If mine hadn't died--repeatedly--I'd have been on FNR3 *constantly* :D

Yeah tbh its just me :p my freind loves his 360 and so does the other 3 that have em lol

Well this seems like everyone that has it nearly alround like it, just gotta wait in the uk as they region coded the games like idiots

I can't wait to get enough credits to get the Mii bobble head to me placed on the dashboard of my spaceship :p

Anyone earn the soundtrack of the main theme of MP3 (in mp3 format) ???

I'm playing Bioshock on my PC and MP3 on the Wii.

I'm about 3-4 hours into Bioshock and 2 hours into Metroid.

I can say, uncategorically, that Metroid is a far superior game.

yea.. i played the bioshock demo (X360).. it didn't convince me that it was a good game...

but let's keep this on track...

i should also mention the controls for metroid is AWESOME... feels very good

please dont knock bioshock because you like MP3, yes mp3 is very good, but so is bioshock, dont compare the two.

It truly shames me to see people putting graphics above gameplay. I guarantee some of the people arguing that this is a last gen game are some of the same people who whine because gameplay isnt as good as it used to be. Then they make this game with fantastic gameplay and not as good of graphics and people say they refuse to buy it because it doesnt look as good as the ps3 and 360!!! lmao now I know what developers mean when they say they cant please everyone, what a bunch of whiny biyatches

No doubt. They don't even take into account the artistic merit of the designers. It's not 720/1080p....graphics sux.

This game has beautifull and varied environments.

please dont knock bioshock because you like MP3, yes mp3 is very good, but so is bioshock, dont compare the two.

Why can't they comapre the two...they are both games and they even in a similar genre. He has a perference of one over the other.

You get a few health things when destroying the red orbs, but as you said it's pretty easy to do that without getting hit. There's one time where you get more though. You know after you destroy a white ball in Hyper mode how he strengthens his feet and stomps around, then you have to hit his feet with more ball bombs? After you destroy each foot you usually get one purple or one red orb, which isn't much but it helps.

Like I said though, the key is to never stay in Hyper Mode too long. Just stay in it to get off five or so shots at an orb, than get out. I know my problem was that sometimes he'd seal off his orbs for a long time, and I'd stay in hyper mode far too long waiting for him to open up again, then I'd be corrupted and lose a whole bunch of health.

I ended up getting by it with no problems. I found that I was rushing the battle too much and not allowing for the boss to drop the energy containers needed to refill for hyper mode. Took my time beating him and it was cake.

Lol...

The problem now is that i'm stuck on Elysia, and i've been stuck for about the past hour. I cant seem to figure out how to get around the stuck elevator (non repairable) near landing site B. This is the elevator in the structure that houses the first portion of the bomb. I've run around the area more times than I can count, but I cant seem to find an opening or sidetrack that allows entrance to the upper lvl up the structure.

*Shhh!! Haha.

Some of us are slower than others. Doh.

Thats why i'm specifically not giving any details that give away what you do up to that point ;)

I'm sure i'll find my way through eventually, but sheesh... i've tracked through the area a good couple dozen times and havent found the way. I know i'm missing something, but havent seen it yet.

I'd help you if I could, but I never hit a speed bump in Skytown so that area doesn't stick out too much for me. I do remember the stuck elevator, but I don't remember how I got by it. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the one that's constantly going up and down slightly but it's just jammed, then you never actually fix it, you just find your way around it. So don't waste anytime trying to figure out a way to get it working again ;).

I'd help you if I could, but I never hit a speed bump in Skytown so that area doesn't stick out too much for me. I do remember the stuck elevator, but I don't remember how I got by it. If it's the one I'm thinking of, the one that's constantly going up and down slightly but it's just jammed, then you never actually fix it, you just find your way around it. So don't waste anytime trying to figure out a way to get it working again ;).

Yep... that's the exact elevator. Gah... i'll have to spend another couple of hours tonight on that. I couldnt figure it out for the life of me.

Back