Metroid Gets Voice Chat!

Ripped from:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/687/687241p1.html

February 9, 2006 - Nintendo today revealed that Metroid Prime Hunters, the Wi-Fi enabled Nintendo DS first-person shooter hitting the system on March 20th, will be the first game in the Nintendo DS library to support voice chatting over the internet.

Players will be able to chat with players via the built-in microphone on the Nintendo DS before and after a match-up. Players can converse with anyone on their friend's list established through Friend Codes by clicking on the Chat icon in the game's lobby system.

Metroid Prime Hunters will support up to four player deathmatches over Nintendo's free Wi-Fi Connection service. We'll have more on the game as we get closer to its release date.

They really do listen!

THERE IS NO REASON TO ADD A DOZEN EXTRA EXCLAMATION MARKS IN YOUR THEAD TITLE, THAT'S JUST LIKE SHOUTING.

[it also annoys the admin who edited your thread title.]

What is the point in having only lobby chat? If it can be done in the lobby, why not in the game?

ZX6Master said:
What is the point in having only lobby chat? If it can be done in the lobby, why not in the game?

Probably to determine match settings (number of lives, gametype, rules, etc.). and to save smacktalk for postmatch (or maybe share Friend Codes). My guess on no ingame voice is probably a bandwidth or performance issue... and possibly protecting against shrieking terrors rolling around in ball mode.

Ahh, the trolls are already out in the thread. ZX6 and annoid, you've played XBox Live with many voice-enabled games, and so have I. That's all I should need to say.

My best guess, aside from smack-talk protection from kids as per usual, is that they are doing this for bandwidth issues. Specifically, Nintendo Wifi Connection is designed to work with 56k as well, because a lot of people in the world still have dial-up and a Nintendo USB adapter. Having a 4-player deathmatch with voice chat would probably cock up the game if there was a dial-upper in it.

Pandering to the lowest common denominator isn't exactly a recipe for innovation. Perhaps N will change things around a little bit.

cb9fl said:
Pandering to the lowest common denominator isn't exactly a recipe for innovation. Perhaps N will change things around a little bit.

No, but it's a recipe for expanding your market share. Nintendo isn't going to push people to get broadband, they have no reason to. As such, it makes much more sense for them to make their product as widely available as possible.

And screw over the people like me who have stepped into this century with a smile.

Your uppity attitude about your own technological prowess doesn't fly with the majority of your country. Broadband might be extremely prevailant nowadays, but it is not universal despite what me and you may be used to since 1996. There are many millions of people still on 33.6kbps connections who just so happen to want to play Mario Kart or Metroid, and to leave them out would be to squander millions of dollars and millions of satisfied customers of the handheld. This isn't just designed with 13-30 in mind, like some other online gaming services. NWFC is designed with 4-80 in mind, and there are many in that age bracket who aren't as fortunate as we are.

And that's why N has created areas like McD's where a person can use high speed service for their DS. If everyone followed the idea of pandering to the throwbacks we would have SDTV for the next decade and Microsoft wouldn't have mandated HD support for their console. Other leaders of the industry are mandating support for new technology why isn't N stepping up to the plate?

btw I don't know what you consider a majority but according to the following information 53.6% of the country has broadband.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0412/

So you want people who only have dialup to go to McDonalds (where they have to spend money or be kicked out) to play their online DS games? Microsoft's "HD mandate" as you call it, is backwards compatible with SDTV. So owners who can only afford those 1980's CRT TVs (i.e. 85% of your country) can still purchase an X360 (when it becomes affordable in 2009) and play it just fine on the SDTV. If Nintendo Wifi games were broadband-only, they would not be "backwards compatible" with dialup. Your logical reasoning is atrocious. This isn't about supporting new technology, it's about keeping everyone satisfied as best they can. Nintendo isn't going to force people onto broadband in order for them to enjoy their online games. That's just common sense, IMO.

Even if your country is 53% broadband enabled, your country is not the only one that exists in the world. Look up the same statistic for other countries and you'll see a huge discrepancy. http://www.imjosh.com/?p=244 - enjoy.

If Nintendo Wifi games were broadband-only, they would not be "backwards compatible" with dialup.

I'm not saying design games so their is no chance of them working on dial-up. Rather I am saying design the game to take full use of a broadband connection and if portions of the internet functionality fail due to a dial-up connection so be it.

As for profanity in games I absolutely could not care less.

cb9fl said:
And screw over the people like me who have stepped into this century with a smile.

Ooooh poor little you, Nintendo isn't pandering to your every desire because they want other people to be able to enjoy their games too. My god life is hard.

It is rather annoying to know hardware isn't being used to its fullest because up people unwilling or unable to purchase the requisite equipment.

Every time I'm stuck watching a show in SD I thank Congress and the FCC for one of their few intelligent decisions, to mandate HD broadcasts within the next few years.

cb9fl said:
It is rather annoying to know hardware isn't being used to its fullest because up people unwilling or unable to purchase the requisite equipment.

Every time I'm stuck watching a show in SD I thank Congress and the FCC for one of their few intelligent decisions, to mandate HD broadcasts within the next few years.

Are you even aware of the existence of people who can't afford an hd-tv? The country is at war, republicans are pushing to bring back the draft, our president lies on a daily basis and you may not have healthcare when you retire, but oh thank god we'll all have hi-def tv's in 3 years :rolleyes:

Yeah, damn congress! Not forcing people to spend thousands upgrading their TV equipment so that TV stations can spend billions filming/broadcasting in HD so that you can watch everything in HD! Down with Bush!! :rolleyes:

In all reality, it's better for you as a company (and your intended market) to "pander" to the lowest common denominator. Why do you think games still have CD releases, despite all our complaints? Just because me and you may be on the technological edge, doesn't mean everyone on the planet is... or can be.

Regardless if its lobby only chat, thats still a friggin cool feature to have on a HAND HELD device people. Someone has to make an attempt at it first, then others will follow, and then there will be in-game voice chat.

There's already voice chat in Socom on the PSP, I believe (requiring a separate headset)... but then, Socom is a shitty game anyway.

steviep said:
Ahh, the trolls are already out in the thread. ZX6 and annoid, you've played XBox Live with many voice-enabled games, and so have I. That's all I should need to say.

My best guess, aside from smack-talk protection from kids as per usual, is that they are doing this for bandwidth issues. Specifically, Nintendo Wifi Connection is designed to work with 56k as well, because a lot of people in the world still have dial-up and a Nintendo USB adapter. Having a 4-player deathmatch with voice chat would probably cock up the game if there was a dial-upper in it.

Now that you're here, correct...the trolls are out.

I've played Xbox Live, yes. Having done that, I can say how positive the experience is. I have the option to listen to everyone; if someone annoys me, two button-presses makes their voice go away. It's that simple.

If you're on 56k, the recent generation of online gaming isn't for you. Sorry, but that's just how it works...56k hasn't been adequate for online gaming since Team Fortress Classic, let alone the games of today. Nintendo shouldn't sacrifice quality features just to be accessible by everyone.

It's simple; 56k users could have limited access to features.

I think only in chat rooms is a good thing, I really don't want kids yelling as they get killed and such when I play this. I think nintendo knows who owns DSes and is protecting the older croud from having to hear the younger ones bitch :p

Back