Metro RTX/DLSS Initial Graphics Impressions

So I got a surprise 5 hours of OT today and decided to pick up the new Metro. My monitor's built in FPS counter wasnt working. I've gotten in a bad habit of "am I hitting x frames?" so I was a little happy about that. I could just play and if it didn't feel bad then great. I was testing with 8700k @ 4.8ghz and rtx 2080 at 1950mhz. Also running a 1440p/165hz/gsync monitor.

I started off on 1440p Ultra/RTX high/DLSS. Off the bat nothing said this was running poorly. I was enjoying the game until I noticed some things really stood out as blurry. Then remembered the vaseline memes. I turn off DLSS and wow what a difference, in quality and performance. I definitely wanted to play with DLSS off but the performance hit was too much for me to enjoy the experience.

Ok lets drop down to 1080p and no DLSS. Obvious FPS improvement but not a huge drop in visuals? It was definitely not as good as the 1440p DLSS. But, I wonder if I had the proper 1080p DPI if I could tell a difference. I upped the visuals to extreme/rtx high and I could feel a performance difference but still very playable. It felt like I dropped from the 90sh range to probably the 60s.

I quit while playing 1080p exterme/RTX high at a scene where a train goes into a tunnel and it was amazing visually. The RTX really shined with the flood light slowly changing shadows over the train. There were a few other minor lighting things that caught my eye because they looked so natural. But after 30sh minutes of gameplay, it was probably only a few minutes of wow factor.

I tried FFXV DLSS (using DSR to get to 4k if I remember correctly) and I couldnt tell much of a difference vs FXAA. Using DLSS at 1440p is vastly different.

Vodka has me rambling, just wanted to pass on my experience.

So I got a surprise 5 hours of OT today and decided to pick up the new Metro. My monitor's built in FPS counter wasnt working. I've gotten in a bad habit of "am I hitting x frames?" so I was a little happy about that. I could just play and if it didn't feel bad then great. I was testing with 8700k @ 4.8ghz and rtx 2080 at 1950mhz. Also running a 1440p/165hz/gsync monitor.

I started off on 1440p Ultra/RTX high/DLSS. Off the bat nothing said this was running poorly. I was enjoying the game until I noticed some things really stood out as blurry. Then remembered the vaseline memes. I turn off DLSS and wow what a difference, in quality and performance. I definitely wanted to play with DLSS off but the performance hit was too much for me to enjoy the experience.

Ok lets drop down to 1080p and no DLSS. Obvious FPS improvement but not a huge drop in visuals? It was definitely not as good as the 1440p DLSS. But, I wonder if I had the proper 1080p DPI if I could tell a difference. I upped the visuals to extreme/rtx high and I could feel a performance difference but still very playable. It felt like I dropped from the 90sh range to probably the 60s.

I quit while playing 1080p exterme/RTX high at a scene where a train goes into a tunnel and it was amazing visually. The RTX really shined with the flood light slowly changing shadows over the train. There were a few other minor lighting things that caught my eye because they looked so natural. But after 30sh minutes of gameplay, it was probably only a few minutes of wow factor.

I tried FFXV DLSS (using DSR to get to 4k if I remember correctly) and I couldnt tell much of a difference vs FXAA. Using DLSS at 1440p is vastly different.

Vodka has me rambling, just wanted to pass on my experience.

had close to the same experience.. DLSS makes the game super blurry.. and while RTX does look better.. i actually prefer the game without due to the framerate-hit.

I just thinks that it looks better in high-res/framerate than the RTX+DLSS combo. but hey thats just my 2 cents.

So Metro got a new patch, and some new DLSS update, looks much cleaner now.. now i actually want to use it..

so have turned on the RTX+DLSS combo and like it better now.

I got this game a few days ago to see the new ray tracing features.

System:

i5 8600k @ 5ghz
MSI Duke 2070 @ to be discussed

First off my old video card OC, which I tested stable, and have been happily gaming on for months was +55 core and +750 mem. Sustained 2055 Mhz in hours of gaming, peak 2100 Mhz.

I was suffering constant crashing with Metro Exodus. Read a bit and decided to play around with my OC. Took awhile but I've got a new video card OC now to be metro stable. I'm sure that the RTX features are causing crashes with the old OC. Here's what I've found with hours and hours crash free so far

Core OC is still +55. But it can be +40. It can be +0. And I still get the same, new, sustained core clock of 1950 Mhz. But peak clock goes down to 2085 Mhz. That peak is never sustained its an early peak and falls from there. Over +55 and I get crashes. I'm really not sure why to bother to even OC the core clock but in my other non RTX games it's mattered.

But the memory OC? I've had to back way down from the +750 in the memory. I've settled at +500. I haven't fully tested out higher memory OCs to narrow it down to the bleeding edge but at +500 memory I no longer have any crashes at all.

With my 2070 and at 2560 x 1080 I'm running ultra settings, hairworks on, physics on, tesselation on, 16x AF, and shaders at 1.0x. DLSS is off. Ray tracing is set to high and this is perfectly playable.

But it does appear that using rtx features lowers the core clock I can sustain and I had to lower my memory OC simply to have a stable gaming experience. Rtx is definitely putting a greater strain on this rtx 2070. But it's a beast of a card and seems to be the sweet spot for 1080 ultra wide.

Also great game so far. I'm playing it on Ranger and having a hell of a time. I can't be smart and sneaky enough. I wish I could set up traps tbh but I can scout the areas and lure enemies into silent kills or narrow areas and throw a molotov into them. Really enjoying this game and finally a game where I can say I'm glad I went RTX 2070 instead of Vega 64.

Back