Metro Review-Bombed: Dev Threatens Next Game Won't Be on PC If Sales Are Low

Are you OK with Microsoft Store? Because that comes default with your Windows 10. Perhaps you'll be happy not to install another client.

Personally I refuse to sign up for a Microsoft account or give Microsoft my payment info.

I use local logins only for all of my Win10 machines and recommend everyone does the same.

As they say, any publicity is good publicity and this game is getting way more than its fair share.

Steam = Developers 70/30 split
Epic = Developers 88/12 split

Which would you choose if you were 4A Games? I like Steam as well as the next person, but let's not pretend that Valve is doing game developers any favors. If I'm a game dev, I'm going to net that 88% when it's at its highest sales point the first month of launch and then broaden out later.

Steam, because it is a proven feature rich distribution center, that has 10X the user base that Epic has, specially since most of Epics user base is Fortnite players, who are a completely different breed and most won't have any interest in the Metro series. They would have made double on steam than what they will make on Epic. With the price difference on each platfrom, 4A is only making $2 more per copy sold on Epic vs Steam, which will never make up the money lost for not having it on Steam from day 1. Companies that focus on the quick buck, or instant profit, and don't stop and consider a lower profit margin but with double the sales will give them more profits in the end.

Even if the price was the same on both fronts, they would still make more going thru steam, even with the differences in the split.

Last edited:
Are you OK with Microsoft Store? Because that comes default with your Windows 10. Perhaps you'll be happy not to install another client.
I don't used it, have no plans to use it. Does anyone actually use the MS store? What does that have to do with not wanting additional clients?

As they say, any publicity is good publicity and this game is getting way more than its fair share.
not really, and not in this period, gamers are really pissed at companies for a decade of anti-consumers predatory practices, they are mad at publishers, and having bad press atm is really bad, because it's more likely to end up in a boycott, not just talk shiet.

I understand Steam takes more of their profit, but I wish we could have ONE launcher and not a separate launcher for EVERY game I own. Right now I am using Steam, Battlenet, Ubisoft, and Origin.

I was really upset about being auto-canceled on another Epic exclusive that got my steam preorder canceled. This is now round 2. Cancels order. Holds cash in hand. Looks back at dev. Goes hmm you thought this was a good idea. Wonders what game I should buy instead. Anyone?

Which would you choose if you were 4A Games? I like Steam as well as the next person, but let's not pretend that Valve is doing game developers any favors. If I'm a game dev, I'm going to net that 88% when it's at its highest sales point the first month of launch and then broaden out later.

The percentage of the revenue is less important than the sales volume.

With digital distribution you have next to no unit cost, so it's a volume game, plain and simple, and epic will never come even remotely close to the volume Steam can push.

Dev Threatens Next Game Won't Be on PC If Sales Are Low?

Sounds like he might be in the market for one of these soon:

6724370-3x2-700x467.jpg

I understand Steam takes more of their profit, but I wish we could have ONE launcher and not a separate launcher for EVERY game I own. Right now I am using Steam, Battlenet, Ubisoft, and Origin.
it's not really about having different launchers, it's simpy because all of them suck but steam.
i have all launchers installed on my PC, i even have bethesda and NCsoft's, but i often stop playing a game simply because i get frustrated with the launcher, Origin and Uplay being the prime exemple, so i stoped playing their games unless they release on steam, and i don't blame them, they made the game themselves they do whatever they want with it, but if they don't want to put that extra money to make a good platform, then im out.

Releasing the game exclusively on a new online store is a surefire way of ensuring your sales will be low.
Why bother making such threat, knowing that the publisher have made a decision that will negatively impact the sales on PC. :banghead:

I have to say i was disappointed in the game moving to Epic Games but liked the fact it is going to save me 10.00 .... So I went ahead and preordered on Epic Games. I will see soon if my decision was a wise one or a bad one.. My last purchase on Steam was a stinker (Walking Dead).... no one plays it online. So ME might also turn out a turd.

Chances are if the sales are low then we probably don't care if you don't release it on the PC anymore.

The steam vs epic review bombing is almost the digital equivalent of blocking or damaging tesla chargers.

Most of us are wired for conflict because war was so ingrained into our lives throughout history, so when there is suddenly relatively none we'll take it out on silly things like where a frickin' video game is sold... it'll probably take a few generations of peace in the world to calm our stormy bloodlines

but good thing steam is leaving those negative reviews there, it's good for communication. I always feel the actual game developers aren't to blame for this kinda stuff, they are more like us gamers, but it's more likely some exec in a nice office sitting back in his chair struggling with roid rage dick shrinkage or somethin...

tbh i would put my game where it can get the most views.

steam has 10 times the consumers.

also it's 88/12 for now.

who knows what the future holds.

That said, I do not agree with review bombing. A review is for someone that has played the game, to give an honest accounting of the experience. Not a place to complain that it was not on your delivery service of choice. Save that for the forums and social media.

Especially because Metro 2033/Last Light are not even on the Epic store (or maybe they are, but they're still up on Steam). Steam reviews have gotten so bad that people are not even reviewing the product in question anymore.

Anyhow, I am off to review bomb Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 because Rage 2 won't be on Steam. /S

A bad review is just a bad review.

If they were reviewing the product in question you'd have a point, but they aren't. Which does nothing but make someone like me discount Steam user reviews. The irony here is that it reflects poorly on the experience of Steam as a platform & community. It makes you question the value of the Steam platform/community.

e) The game was pre-sold on Steam.
f) A month prior to release, the fuckers of DEEP SILVER / KOCH MEDIA sold themselves to Epic and thus made the game exclusive to that shitty platform.

If you bought it on Steam you're getting a Steam key. Quit acting like they stabbed their customers in the back. If you pre-ordered elsewhere cancel your pre-order and don't loose any money. You had almost a full month to do so. Buy on Steam when it comes back or don't buy it at all.

Or, run around like a headless chicken.

Last edited:
I don't have Origin, Battlenet, or Uplay installed, and don't buy games that require them. I have missed out on some games, but still seem to have plenty to play without them. I'll have plenty to play without Epic. What you do is up to you. If it is not on Steam, or GOG, I am almost guaranteed not to buy it going forward.
If it was up to me I would force every distributor to sell a license of their exclusive games for a fair price to other distributors. That way we as gamers get the best price and the best service, where exclusive games and exclusive platforms do the opposite.

What benefit do you get from sticking to one platform on PC? Don't have to wait for Origin or GoG to install? Once the game is done and downloaded there's a shortcut on the desktop you just double click and use. Let Valve deal with this as they have to now lower prices and offer better rates to game creators. They haven't made a real game since Portal 2 where Epic made Fortnite which is taking the industry by storm.

tbh i would put my game where it can get the most views.

steam has 10 times the consumers.

also it's 88/12 for now.

who knows what the future holds.

Well obviously you'll want your game on the platform with the most users, but what's stopping you from releasing the game on the platform where you'll make the most per sale first and then releasing it on another platform after?

Nothing. That's probably what they're doing.

If you release it in a box with a disc i can install from without a DRM client I will buy it for full price immediately. Otherwise I'll wait till it's an under 20$ "Rental Fee" for a game I will never actually own.

Not all bad publicity is bad. Thi
If it was up to me I would force every distributor to sell a license of their exclusive games for a fair price to other distributors. That way we as gamers get the best price and the best service, where exclusive games and exclusive platforms do the opposite.

What benefit do you get from sticking to one platform on PC? Don't have to wait for Origin or GoG to install? Once the game is done and downloaded there's a shortcut on the desktop you just double click and use. Let Valve deal with this as they have to now lower prices and offer better rates to game creators. They haven't made a real game since Portal 2 where Epic made Fortnite which is taking the industry by storm.

The benefit of not dealing with multiple clients is not dealing with multiple clients. Not buying from Epic's store grants me the benefit of expressing my unhappiness over this with a vote with my dollar.

That said, I am not sure what Fortnite's success has to do with this aside from being a money maker for Epic. It's not the sort of game I am interested in, and it required an additional client. So I never bothered with it past watching a couple videos. Those videos only added "I don't care for game's the community", to the list of why I was not going to bother with it. Overkill really. My preference is just having one storefront/launcher. In an ideal world all games would be sold on all storefronts and those storefronts would compete on features, reliability, price, and service. Instead we have them competing based on which can buy exclusivity to what games.

The steam vs epic review bombing is almost the digital equivalent of blocking or damaging tesla chargers.

dude, if consumers don't do this, and just don't buy the games, they will just blame low sales on PIRACY .

I guarantee it.

So this is all about it not being on steam? Meh. The first game put me off the series anyway. People said if you love stalker you'll love this. Nope. Metro 2033 was shit. I played 3 hours and got bored, never played it again or cared for any of the sequels.

So not going to be on pc? Threat or promise?

Except they're a business out to make money, and "teaching a lesson" doesn't increase their bottom line.

They could have left the game on both stores. Instead they got greedy and took a bribe to limit customer choice, and that has consequences.

Plenty of times I sold something and the customer/client was an opinionated moron, but I had to bite my tongue because the sale was all that mattered.

Its been proven time and time again that ignoring Mil Sim Hipsters like you increases bottom line.

Well if they used rtx ray tracing effectively maybe nvidia will throw money at them to fix this so they can at least have something to show off that isn't poorly rated. Then again maybe they already did

dude, if consumers don't do this, and just don't buy the games, they will just blame low sales on PIRACY .

I guarantee it.
Yeah not a bad prediction..although these are not stupid devs typically, see how it goes.

Except it is nothing like it at all.

A bad review is just a bad review. It doesn't ruin or block any property.

It turns people away and you know that. They are not reviewing the game they are bitching about the platform change, aka don't use Tesla.

Metro is ALRIGHT. I said it, it's ALRIGHT. 4A is no Bethesda, this game does not have the following that Fallout or Elder Scrolls does, they don't have the kind of pull that just lets them do whatever they want without consequence and people will still buy their game in the same numbers -- something tells me at the end of it all the sales for this game will suffer on PC because of this decision. Maybe not by a lot, but they will suffer, and many of us will remember the dumb shit Deep Silver and Epic pulled. Literally all they are doing is making the large portion of their players choose to buy on Epic and play now, or wait until 2020 to play it on Steam where they originally were planning on buying it anyway.

AT THE SAME TIME.....we can understand (even though we dont like it) why Epic decided to ask for exclusivity. Just imagine if it were released on both platforms, how many Steam sales vs Epic sales do you think there would be? It would be a joke, Epic would look like a joke if they showed their numbers. But this just makes Epic look like complete douches, and idiots - had they done this the "right" way and built a proper store like Steam then perhaps the "Exodus" (yes) they are looking for would have happened more organically. But no, Epic just whips around it's big Fortnite money dick and says hey we're going to do this, take it or leave it. Bad business, not a good way to build confidence and trust in your platform.

Back