Metro Review-Bombed: Dev Threatens Next Game Won't Be on PC If Sales Are Low

Devs became way too entitled, with ppl making excuses for them, when they release a shity game, ppl cannot critic it too harshly, because poor developer crunched and worked hard for it, and it's a work of passion, blablabla...
you are the one looking for the money in my pocket, so don't come and threaten me that you wouldn't release a product that you fuking sell me, you are not giving it to me for free.
if you don't release it on pc, you wont get my money, and i still get to spend that money on another game hopefully better, and you are slave to the $, so you will end up releeasing it on PC anyway even if you don't like it

Listen retards. I speak Russian. There were no threats. Stop manufacturing drama, outrage and fake news. What he said was "If every gamer boycotts Metro then if the next installment comes out it definitely won't be on PC". (Если вообще все ПК игроки обьявят бойкот Метро, то следующее метро если и выйдет, то точно не на ПК ) It's a matter of business you fucking imbeciles.

The game hasn't been released as of yet and it is already being review bombed? I really wish Steam and other distribution platforms wouldn't allow reviews to be posted prior to a game release. People should only post experience wirh the game and not due to a company's decision to move release to another distribution platform.

Even dumber, they're review bombing the previous games which are still available on Steam and already have a known level of quality.

How about not doing shitty anti-consumer deals, and you won't get bad reviews? Huh? Not an option? I see, then you eat what you cooked!

This is a greedy short sighted move, and it hurts the customers, but it will also hurt them in the long term. If I had any doubt I'm definitely not buying this game now that's for sure.

They want to sell their game on epic store? Fine. But pulling it from steam and making an exlusive deal for a platform that has no offline mode, no user reviews, no user forums where you can ask for help or provide feedback that other players can read? Not acceptable.
Not to mention the terms of service of the epic store outright contradicts the GDPR. They can share all your data with anyone for any purpose without asking your prior consent.

Listen retards. I speak Russian. There were no threats. Stop manufacturing drama, outrage and fake news. What he said was "If every gamer boycotts Metro then if the next installment comes out it definitely won't be on PC". (Если вообще все ПК игроки обьявят бойкот Метро, то следующее метро если и выйдет, то точно не на ПК ) It's a matter of business you fucking imbeciles.
I speak English. Is that not the definition of a threat? If they don't get what they want, they are threatening to not release the next game on PC.... And try not to be a dickhead here and in general.

How about not doing shitty anti-consumer deals,

Nailed it.

This is anti-competitive. EPIC is no better than Steam. It may be $10 cheaper but because of the (probably) bribed exclusivity, you still don't have a choice.

Want offline Play? Not at EPIC.

On top of the tencent, account issues etc etc.

EPIC blew it in my opinion. I initially thought I'd give them a shot with the free games and someone to bring some competition to the market...
Turns out they're just Valve/Steam v2.

Fckem.

Ya'll should probably go a little deeper down the rabbit hole. Sensational news title is sensational. The linked news story follows through to a random forum post (in Russian), where in the developer more or less explains that if people boycott the game and sales are poor, they won't be able to justify future releases on PC. It's not a threat, it's not a public statement of "buy our game or else...", it's an explanation the economics of what happens when something fails to perform as expected. He's just being real...
Fine, I'll bite that the translation was poor and this was served up as clickbait. And I'll buy that this wasn't intended as an overt threat, even if it's almost a textbook definition of one from how you describe it. Trying to say this is ONLY "A matter of business" and "just being real" is framing this in a one dimensional way that can't imagine more than one course of action. You've already bought into the narrative and haven't even realized it.

Companies have options. They made a controversial decision to change their distributor at the last minute. Many people protested this (I think it's silly personally, but that's besides the point, the protesting is real enough) and are boycotting / review bombing the game as a result. This is the ONLY reason people are boycotting / protesting. So as a company, what are your options for the future? Here are some I can think of:

1. Do PR damage control and explain why you went to Epic, how it can create more money, and give bonuses to fans, offer refunds, etc. In other words, try to show some benefits for the customer in switching to Epic to recapture sales. Won't fix everything, but it can help.
2. Release the future game on Steam also and get your sales back.
3. Cancel all PC development because fans of a longtime series are upset over a controversial decision YOU made over your distributor that would easily be remedied if you don't repeat your controversial decision, or handle it more tactfully.

You're both talking as if #3 is the ONLY option. It's not.

Now there is an argument that poor sales of a game means there won't be enough funding for a sequel. That's fair, but that's not what this is. They're saying there won't be a PC version because the well-received series got boycotted over a very specific decision.

Poor sales due to something specific that's easily fixable is not the same as poor sales due to lack of interest in the product. A smart business recognizes the difference between the two and wins back sales. An example of this is Borderlands, which was a poor PC with mouse smoothing, poor FOV controls, missing options etc. where for Borderlands 2, they fixed all those issues and released a literal love letter to PC gamers to win them back and made a ton of money with a bestselling game.

A stupid business sees only one outcome and calls it just being real.

Ya'll should probably go a little deeper down the rabbit hole. Sensational news title is sensational. The linked news story follows through to a random forum post (in Russian), where in the developer more or less explains that if people boycott the game and sales are poor, they won't be able to justify future releases on PC. It's not a threat, it's not a public statement of "buy our game or else...", it's an explanation the economics of what happens when something fails to perform as expected. He's just being real...

Except the comment wasn't made within a vacuum. And it won't change the fact that they created the string of actions that caused it to sell poorly. If this sells poorly, it's their own fault. And it was probably preventable.

As for What he said was "If every gamer boycotts Metro then if the next installment comes out it definitely won't be on PC. we on mission to kill everywhere not just PC, It BS that pull the rug out from under steam user so there I say ban the game outright on all platform in I ask my console buddy not to buy it.

ok the person who speaks russian, put down that bottle and listen.
the guy is saying " if PC gamers BOYCOTT the game, then the next metro won't be released on the platform that did the boycott " , fair enough then he knows that if the game gets low sales it's not because of the quality, but for an anti-consumer backlash that led to a BOYCOTT.
why is he puting the blame on PC when the publisher/studio's decision are the one to blame, btw i don't believe for a seconde that the publisher got to make that choice without the studio's knowledge or prior agreement, because that was a significant change.
they changed the contract few weeks before release, they could very well revert it back when ppl clearly weren't happy, but they didn't, because the $ is more important than consumers.

Last edited:

Wanna talk business eh? Then use a business language.

You're right, it is a matter of business. And I'm choosing to take my business elsewhere until they fix their anti-consumer practices, then maybe I'll grace them with a dollar, if I feel like it.

I reckon the devs have a PS5 development kit hence the threat. The next consoles would be powerful enough to showcase their next case and probably generate more sales.

No one actually cares that it is also on Epic, the people that prefer Steam just want it back on there as well. Some of us just don't want to deal with a multitude of clients. I just refuse to.
But we do already. EA games are on Origin and only Origin. Ubisoft is confused and has their games on Uplay and Steam, but we all know it'll be on Uplay only. Blizzard/Activision games are only on Battle.net. We're already upset where we're getting the game but we haven't even reviewed the game first to see if it's worth the trouble.

Damn I miss the days of buying a game, popping it into your cd drive, installing it and just playing it. Not having to worry about login passwords or user names or your financial information being stolen.

Them's were the days.

Personally I think the dev reaction is warranted. Just because a game doesn't come out in a store you want, doesn't give you the right to screw with the evaluations. That's been happening WAY too often, with review bombs having become a common tool. If PC gamers act like babies, they should get treated like babies. Releasing their next game on console would be an effective, if harsh lesson for people to act like adults. It's the equivalent of the effective, harsh tactic of review bombing a game.
Customer is always right, and honestly Epic/Steam/4A Games should all be happy that we haven't turned this into a digital rights issue cause that's a long time coming. Cause the games we buy are indeed tied to the store and we can't resell them cause digital rights ownership hasn't really been challenged in court. Just like Battlefield V and Blizzard's Diablo Immortal, even Metro could face poor sales if they piss off their customer.

Whether PC gets Metro or not doesn't really matter in the long run cause a PS4/PS5 emulator will eventually exist. Of course 4A Games won't get jack shit if people pirate these games on PC but that's a risk they seem to be willing to take, or are completely ignorant to believe that games released on consoles are immune to piracy.

Customer is always right, and honestly Epic/Steam/4A Games should all be happy that we haven't turned this into a digital rights issue cause that's a long time coming. Cause the games we buy are indeed tied to the store and we can't resell them cause digital rights ownership hasn't really been challenged in court. Just like Battlefield V and Blizzard's Diablo Immortal, even Metro could face poor sales if they piss off their customer.

Whether PC gets Metro or not doesn't really matter in the long run cause a PS4/PS5 emulator will eventually exist. Of course 4A Games won't get jack shit if people pirate these games on PC but that's a risk they seem to be willing to take, or are completely ignorant to believe that games released on consoles are immune to piracy.

I hope people pirate the shit out of it.

Look, I like the story of the Metro series. I'm a sucker for a nice post apocalyptic shooter in a Russian setting.

That said, it's essentially a linear tunnel shooter. In other words, a poor mans S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

If I can get a good deal on sale, I'll buy it and play through it for the story. This is why I own both Metro 2033 and Last Light. I didn't buy either of them at launch, but rather a year or two later when they were cheaper.

If you make it difficult for me, like putting it on a online store I will never sign up for, I'll pass. I don't care if you ever make another PC version.

When will devs and publishers learn that dabbling in exclusives (be they store exclusives or platform exclusives) will do nothing but reduce sales.

I don't believe in pirating games, but I will pirate this game before I ever install the Epic client. More likely though, I just won't play it. At least not until the one year store exclusive is up. I have a long game backlog. I don't have to buy this on launch.

They have no one but themselves to blame.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like he's mad because he came to the realization that the bribe from epic isn't even going to cover the lost sales, I don't think threats(and it is a threat) are going to help the situation at all though.

Empty threat, PC is the largest market these days and nobody walks away from that sort of potential revenue stream.

Gabe was right, Piracy is a result of a bad service, when PC games were hard to install/patch, broken with DRM, unfairly priced and so on, PC gaming had shiet sales, when steam appeared as a platform and started adding features, that made games easy to install, auto patch, cloud saved, AND correctly priced in countries with low income so that a gamer living in brazil who earns 500$ doesn't pay 10 or 15% of his salary to get a freaking game, PC gaming thrived, and piracy decreased.
and going back and locking exclusive in a barebone platform will just decrease sales, and increase piracy.

But we do already. EA games are on Origin and only Origin. Ubisoft is confused and has their games on Uplay and Steam, but we all know it'll be on Uplay only. Blizzard/Activision games are only on Battle.net. We're already upset where we're getting the game but we haven't even reviewed the game first to see if it's worth the trouble.
I don't have Origin, Battlenet, or Uplay installed, and don't buy games that require them. I have missed out on some games, but still seem to have plenty to play without them. I'll have plenty to play without Epic. What you do is up to you. If it is not on Steam, or GOG, I am almost guaranteed not to buy it going forward.

Steam = Developers 70/30 split
Epic = Developers 88/12 split

Which would you choose if you were 4A Games? I like Steam as well as the next person, but let's not pretend that Valve is doing game developers any favors. If I'm a game dev, I'm going to net that 88% when it's at its highest sales point the first month of launch and then broaden out later.

I don't care what service the game is on. However the way this was handled was extremely poor. Having a game on a service for months and then removing it for a store timed exclusive a few weeks before release is just messed up. Could have released it for both platforms, offer some sort of discount on Epic store and reap the rewards. But it didn't work that way and now your fan base is upset and resorting to potentially not releasing the next game on PC is now happening. Very professional. Lets not forget that only a small percent of reviewer are actually doing this. Most people are probably upset but just going about their day without making a review.

Granted this one developer probably does not speak for all of 4A unless he was in a position to make that decision.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this

Which would you choose if you were 4A Games? I like Steam as well as the next person, but let's not pretend that Valve is doing game developers any favors.
so if they don't give a fuk about consumer satisfaction in picking the platform better suited for their needs, they shouldn't be surprised if ppl get mad, especialy when your decision is $ based.
hope those 8% difference in cut helps cover the loss from the unhappy consumers, knowing that steam reduce the cut depanding on sales results, 10+mil$ worth of sales = -5%, +50mil$ worth of sales = another -5%.
personaly i think they made a bad choice, don't know how much money epic gave them for the 1 year exclusive, knowing they will be selling the game for 50$ instead of 60$, so that's already at 17% discount

Which would you choose if you were 4A Games?

Sure, would you pay $500k a year in rent on Main Street in Shoppingsville or $200k a year in rent in that new community an hours drive outside of town where there’s far less foot traffic? You’re going to piss off your customers because they need to drive 40 miles to your store but at least you get some tax breaks from the local government. I agree it is a business economics decsision and I’m not saying which one is right, all depends on how much product you’re going to ship against your loss of throughput. If people shopping on Main Street covered the extra rent difference AND people that wanted to save some money had the option to take a drive, doesn’t that make much more sense? I guess that just comes down to how much the local gov is paying you vs the lost sales and only time will tell.

Fine, I'll bite that the translation was poor and this was served up as clickbait. And I'll buy that this wasn't intended as an overt threat, even if it's almost a textbook definition of one from how you describe it. Trying to say this is ONLY "A matter of business" and "just being real" is framing this in a one dimensional way that can't imagine more than one course of action. You've already bought into the narrative and haven't even realized it..
He's full of it. Even if that one line isn't a threat, the rest of the devs post is more than enough for me not just to steer far clear of this studio and any game they ever put out, but to spit on their grave if they go under.

Other things he said (Not quoting just paraphrasing): Players who complain about this weren't really going to buy the game anyway, those who dare speak out about this are stupid and would never be able to make a game like this. People are just being idiots because they don't want to install a new launcher. Those were the best bits.

The Epic Store is not exactly advertised heavily anywhere. I have a feeling the game is going to bomb hard, not because it will be bad but because no one is going to want to buy it from the Epic Game Store. The game maker is idiotic for risking the game sales on a single exclusive store. I doubt they got paid enough to make it worth losing all the PC Game sales.

Easy, I'd choose Steam because you will sell more despite selling for less with the added bonus of not alienating your fanbase & hurting future sales.

That's not how it works, no business decision is made in a vacuum. At least it shouldn't be,

They knew that they were in the wrong. That's why they lowered the price to $50 (at least for the US market) They didn't do that from the kindness of their hearts. They knew there will be a reckoning, and they anticipated it, obviously they thought wrong that they could buy our submission for $10.

Making threats and last minutes switching off steam wasnt cool.

But there is also too many steam patriots out there, who think Valve can do no wrong, that won't ever buy from even gog. That has enabled Gabe to be lazy, and thus no real valve games.

I don't have Origin, Battlenet, or Uplay installed, and don't buy games that require them. I have missed out on some games, but still seem to have plenty to play without them. I'll have plenty to play without Epic. What you do is up to you. If it is not on Steam, or GOG, I am almost guaranteed not to buy it going forward.

Pretty much this. It's not that I'm directly against epic or another platform, it's that I don't want 50 logins to 50 different platforms that all have 2 games attached. The whole point of online distribution usage from my perspective is centralization and convenience. Every other studio using their own platform for games loses the whole point of using digital distribution as a consumer. This is why digital distribution took off on xbox and playstation. No matter the developer or studio pretty much everything was connected to one central spot.

All this decision means is that I just won't buy the game right away. I own the other metro games on steam. I was going to buy this one if it looked good after the post-release reviews came out. I'll still probably do so after it hits steam if the reviews are good... but at that point it will be a year old and I'll need to see year old game prices, not new release prices to buy it.

Blaming and threatening your fans for your own company's terrible decisions?

It sounds to me like this 4A developer enrolled in the same customer relations training program as "These are people who are uneducated" and "either accept it or don’t buy the game" Patrick Soderlund, formerly of DICE.

Also:

150400409_EpicvsSteamfeatures.jpg.82971ea1fab2fb9b390a0b8e81f30245.jpg

That's called a threat. If every gamer boycotts ME on PC because of 4A's poor business choices then that's not an indicator that Metro games don't sell on PC but that 4A did something dumb. Blaming it on gamers is being dishonest. The fact that he recognizes it as a boycott, which is a deliberate choice to not buy the game in reaction to something 4A did, means that he knows that the lack of sales have nothing to do with the viability of Metro games on PC and everything to do with the dumb action 4A and Deep Silver have made.

And in case you haven't noticed, gamers don't respond well to being threatened by a company that already is in the wrong.

Nailed it.

This is anti-competitive. EPIC is no better than Steam. It may be $10 cheaper but because of the (probably) bribed exclusivity, you still don't have a choice.

Want offline Play? Not at EPIC.

On top of the tencent, account issues etc etc.

EPIC blew it in my opinion. I initially thought I'd give them a shot with the free games and someone to bring some competition to the market...
Turns out they're just Valve/Steam v2.

Fckem.

I think Epic are blowing it, but I don't see any comparison between Epic and Valve / Steam. Steam is a great platform. I haven't seen Valve do any shitty anti-consumer and anti-competition practices like Epic are doing.

Which would you choose if you were 4A Games? I like Steam as well as the next person, but let's not pretend that Valve is doing game developers any favors. If I'm a game dev, I'm going to net that 88% when it's at its highest sales point the first month of launch and then broaden out later.

Metro Exodus on Steam: $60
Metro Exodus on Epic: $50

Steam's fee is 30% only for the first $10 million of sales, which is like a drop in the bucket of the total sales for a game like Metro Exodus.

After $10 million in sales, Steam then charges 25%. Then, at $50 million in sales, Steam charges 20%.

By the time 4A and Deep Silver sell 1 million copies of Metro Exodus on Steam, they will have made $1 million more than they would from selling 1 million copies through the Epic store:

1 million $50 copies sold through Epic = $50,000,000 total = $44,000,000 to 4A and Deep Silver

1 million $60 copies sold through Steam = $60,000,000 total = 7,000,000 (30%) + 30,000,000 (25%) + 8,000,000 (20%) = $45,000,000 to 4A and Deep Silver

4 million Epic sales of a $50 game = $200,000,000 total revenue, with $44 per copy going to the publisher = $176,000,000 going to 4A and Deep Silver

4 million Steam sales of a $60 game = $240,000,000 total revenue, with:

$10 million with a fee of 30% = $42 per copy going to the publisher = $7,000,000 going to 4A and Deep Silver

$40 million with a fee of 25% = $45 per copy going to the publisher = $30,000,000 going to 4A and Deep Silver

$190 million with a fee of 20% = $48 per copy going to the publisher = $152,000,000 going to 4A and Deep Silver

For a total of $189,000,000 going to 4A and Deep Silver

Final amounts from 4 million copies sold at each outlet:

$176 million going to the publisher from Epic < $189 million going to the publisher from Steam

4A and Deep Silver will actually make more money selling ME on Steam than they will on Epic. Full break-down here: https://hardforum.com/threads/metro-exodus-is-an-epic-store-exclusive.1976314/page-6#post-1044061477

Metro Exodus is an exclusive on Epic not because that's where it will make more money from sales, but because Epic are paying Deep Silver a lump sum to make ME exclusive to Epic for a year in a bid to boost Epic's customer base.

Last edited:
Wait is it the PC's fault if the reviews bombed? I just want to be understanding this right. Did it review well on other platforms or something?

No one actually cares that it is also on Epic, the people that prefer Steam just want it back on there as well. Some of us just don't want to deal with a multitude of clients. I just refuse to.
Are you OK with Microsoft Store? Because that comes default with your Windows 10. Perhaps you'll be happy not to install another client.

It's the complaints over where the game is being sold, not the game itself. If the game is good all of the people complaining will just be empty noise and everyone will buy it from Epic anyways. I'm not sure why anyone is caring what store this game is on. Who gives a shit if it's steam or epic. At the end of the day it's digital non-sense that you don't actually own, and that's what people should be complaining about. Not what stupid digital store you have to buy it from.

Well it is very simple, really.

a) Steam is the superior platform, by a landslide.
b) Epic is famous for leaking consumer information.
c) Epic has ATROCIOUS local pricing. Yes, Exodus is cheaper in Epic vs Steam... in the US. In the rest of the world it is either the same or more expensive.
d) The game was announced on Steam.
e) The game was pre-sold on Steam.
f) A month prior to release, the fuckers of DEEP SILVER / KOCH MEDIA sold themselves to Epic and thus made the game exclusive to that shitty platform.

This wouldn't be a problem if it were done on day one. But it wasn't. And people that preordered the game thinking they were getting a steam key won't, they will get an Epic store instead.

So... yes, fuck the game. I'll buy it from steam next year because as a consumer I will NEVER support this shitty ass practices. And I love the Metro series.

This is basically a way of stating that they want to drop PC development altogether, and it's giving them an excuse. To do well is clearly undefined, so it sounds predetermined. To be fair though, PC AAA games tend to sell significantly fewer copies than their console counterparts, and still cost a decent amount of money to focus on that port. Not worth the money vs effort.

Still, there are more tactful ways of telling the PC community that you're no longer going to develop for them.

Which is bullshit, because the pc platform has always been strong for the Metro series.

AHAHAHAHAH

Wait is it the PC's fault if the reviews bombed? I just want to be understanding this right. Did it review well on other platforms or something?

No, the older Metro games are the ones getting bombed.

Are you OK with Microsoft Store? Because that comes default with your Windows 10.

They probably aren't OK with Microsoft Store and so don't use it - just like most people.

I'm not OK with Microsoft Store because it's an awful platform and Microsoft is an awful company - and so I don't use Microsoft Store.

Also, Microsoft Store doesn't come on Windows 10 LTSC and can be removed from Windows 10 Enterprise - the two versions of Windows 10 that those in-the-know use.

The only thing I care about is the outcome of this decision, which we will know the result of in three+ weeks (two weeks for it to be released, one week to determine if it's selling).

Back