Metro Last Light - Best Audio Ever?

Hooy

Limp Gawd
Anyone else mind blown? The soundstage this game takes advantage impressed me beyond what any other game has come close to doing.

*very small SPOILERS*

During the stripper part, I could hear the background very clearly. It was stripper music and a woman moaning. The sound was distant. So distant that my brain was tricked into believing it was outside my headphones and indeed a real event happening in my house. I took off my headphones just to make sure.

Not once has any game ever taken advantage of my headphone's sound stage like this. It was f'ing massive. On top of this the sounds are very sharp with superb imaging. Although I attribute a bulk of the credit to the hardware, I have to give my props to A4 for this game's audio engineering.

Do y'all agree or disagree? Have you noticed anything similar?

DF-1

2[H]4U
Didn't really notice anything different than other/normal PC games.

but im not an audiophile.

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
Here's a writeup on how to set up binaural headphone surround sound for PC games:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the...-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

It's way beyond my level of expertise, and even that writer confesses to being mistaken about Aureal A3D.

So, you can make really good audio happen in many games, but it's not always easy to make it happen. For example, Blue Ripple Sound's Rapture3D can make some OpenAL games (notably the STALKER series) sound very, very good but they often need some tweaking to make it happen.

|Tch0rT|

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't think I made it that far into the game but I mostly played it through my 5.1 ESL setup and didn't notice anything particularly awesome about the sound (not saying it was bad but nothing that just grabbed me). I was mostly annoyed that it was yet another PC game not in 5.1 Dolby Digital Live.

Look up binaural audio on youtube. Have fun.

That stuff is crazy! :cool:

Game audio used to be amazing before that spawn of satan creative labs sued aureal with frivilous lawsuit out business, bought the tech, and buried it.

also because of thier shitty drivers also crashing windows, microsoft killed hardware sound acceleration.

djoye

2[H]4U
I pay a lot of attention to game audio but I haven't gotten to Metro LL yet. I have a big 7.1 setup at my PC so I'll definitely post my opinion here when I get around to it.

Game audio used to be amazing before that spawn of satan creative labs sued aureal with frivilous lawsuit out business, bought the tech, and buried it.

also because of thier shitty drivers also crashing windows, microsoft killed hardware sound acceleration.
I definitely think that support is part of the reason. Sure, we have enough CPU power now days to easily support software-based 3D audio but there's just something about EAX that, when properly implemented, sounds very good compared to software-based 3D effects. I feel like Creative has done such a poor job with drivers and ensuring their product works without bugs that game developers see supporting Creative products as a liability since the drivers are so buggy, games would probably crash more as a result of having to work with buggy Creative products so developers would rather just work with software-based solutions that they have more control over and can resolve issues immediately if necessary. Even with the new Creative cards, I see people complain of the same problems that people with older X-Fi cards have on Windows 7. They've released new hardware but have the same guy writing buggy software/drivers.

It still can be. See Battlefield 3 and soon 4.
I've played all of 5 minutes of BF3 and I thought it sounded pretty good, it's just a damn shame that the game only supports up to 5.1 (no 7.1 side speaker output).

WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE 1%!? (of us that have 7.1 systems)

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
I don't know about 5.1 or 7.1 as I gave up on it for pc audio a while back. With my stereo speaker setup, I can hear sounds clearly beside and behind me. I will say that the sound is more distinct beside me than behind me but I know with some more tweaking I can get that down. In my previous stereo I had much better speakers and could hear sound behind me.

Metro had great gaming sound. Best ever? Well, it is certainly very good. I was impressed with it too.

BF3 and Planetside 2 have very good sound too. I think that the original Bioshock was pretty awesome but I had an amazing headphone setup when I played that.

Hooy

Limp Gawd
It still can be. See Battlefield 3 and soon 4.
BF3's ambient noise is very good. Every gunshot has a meaningful echo, distance is well drawn, etc. However, I can't get over how the guns sound like staplers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fLlqB2rQWo
I don't know how they messed this up.

I don't know about 5.1 or 7.1 as I gave up on it for pc audio a while back. With my stereo speaker setup, I can hear sounds clearly beside and behind me. I will say that the sound is more distinct beside me than behind me but I know with some more tweaking I can get that down. In my previous stereo I had much better speakers and could hear sound behind me.

Metro had great gaming sound. Best ever? Well, it is certainly very good. I was impressed with it too.

BF3 and Planetside 2 have very good sound too. I think that the original Bioshock was pretty awesome but I had an amazing headphone setup when I played that.

Although there's no true replacement for physical monitors surrounding you, a quality 2.0 can definitely 'surround' you.

Did you play Metro with speakers, or headphones?

If what you say is true about Metro, I will need to try now lol
I suggest a good pair of open-back headphones :D

Someone just knocked on my door and nobody was there.

Did you order pizza? No one knows.

djoye

2[H]4U
I played through Last Light and the audio was fairly good but at times I thought that the reverb was so excessive that I couldn't understand what people were saying when I was trying to eavesdrop. RAGE has similarly loud reverb probably because both games use XAudio2. I don't have any additional reverb function enabled via my sound card software. FEAR 2 uses XAudio2 and I thought that game sounded pretty good. That probably all depends on whose job it is to tweak the audio.