Metro: Last Light - Advanced PhysX sucks!

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
I finally got Metro: Last Light and have been playing through it.

I noticed that most levels played just fine, but then some levels would hit a point where my GPU usage would drop to almost 0 and the frame rate would get so bad it was not even playable.

I actually finished one of the levels like that since exiting and reloading didn't help one bit.

Then I got to a different level and it got so bad I couldn't even aim.

Did a search and found on the Steam forum that Nvidia users were having the same exact problem. The solution was to turn off "Advanced PhysX".

To top it off, it isn't even in the video settings menu.

I turned it off and went back into the game... back to buttery smooth.

Makes me wonder why they haven't fixed it yet....:mad:

Nvidia has been working on a multithreaded version of PhysX for years now. I believe that they are up to version 3.3. The new racing car game Project Cars is going to launch with PhysX 3.2 in November. So whatever bugs you're experiencing may not get addressed until later as there are plenty of issues with the newest version also.

Ran well on my GTX670. Not perfect, but I managed 30-35 frame rates in most areas. The game certainly is very demanding, more so than Crysis 3.

I couldn't get out of the first area / bunker with Advanced Physx on. 4-10 fps, and that's with the latest drivers on a GTX 780. Turned it off and framerates went 100+

I couldn't get out of the first area / bunker with Advanced Physx on. 4-10 fps, and that's with the latest drivers on a GTX 780. Turned it off and framerates went 100+

Same here I have a GTX 780 as well, at first I thought it was because of the graphics settings were set too high so I started turning some settings down but I was still getting atrocious FPS (around 1-15). Then it clicked, I neededto turn off advanced Physx and it was smooth again.

You guys try using a separate card for physx?

I had a similar problem with mine. If I turn it on, my frame rates slow to a crawl like down into the teens. Turn it off and Im up in the 50's and playing just fine. At first I thought it was a problem with my system but PhysX plays fine on all the other games like Borderlands 2 and the Batman games.

You don't need any special effects to make last light an excellent experience. It's not about the graphics, it's about the story and the atmosphere.

Granted, good graphics can enhance atmosphere, but they don't create it, only enhance it.

Metro last light was an amazing game, IMHO, and well worth playing. Even with the fancy shit turned off (if that's what you need to do, i had no issues even with my old ass rig).

PhysX plays fine on all the other games like Borderlands 2 and the Batman games.

In Borderlands 2, having PhysX turned up to Medium or High will cause loot (lots of loot) to drop through the ground; setting PhysX to Low will solve that problem completely. It's an Unreal 3 Engine issue and is not fixable by BL2's game devs.

Nvidia has been working on a multithreaded version of PhysX for years now. I believe that they are up to version 3.3. The new racing car game Project Cars is going to launch with PhysX 3.2 in November. So whatever bugs you're experiencing may not get addressed until later as there are plenty of issues with the newest version also.

didn't know about the new PhysX 3.0...sounds good...what they really need is more games that make actual use of it

In Borderlands 2, having PhysX turned up to Medium or High will cause loot (lots of loot) to drop through the ground; setting PhysX to Low will solve that problem completely. It's an Unreal 3 Engine issue and is not fixable by BL2's game devs.

For me, this only seems to happen on high. Medium works fine.

i've probably got over 300 hours in bl2, all played with physx high, and i've never had this happen to me.

i played through last light with physx on and had no issues whatsoever. you guys are doing something wrong. op: why the fuck are you using physx with an amd card?

i've probably got over 300 hours in bl2, all played with physx high, and i've never had this happen to me.

i played through last light with physx on and had no issues whatsoever. you guys are doing something wrong. op: why the fuck are you using physx with an amd card?
Yup, PhysX will run on the CPU with an AMD card present. For those having trouble on NVIDIA cards, I would check the driver control panel and make sure PhysX has not been changed to CPU.

I finally got Metro: Last Light and have been playing through it.

I noticed that most levels played just fine, but then some levels would hit a point where my GPU usage would drop to almost 0 and the frame rate would get so bad it was not even playable.

I actually finished one of the levels like that since exiting and reloading didn't help one bit.

Then I got to a different level and it got so bad I couldn't even aim.

Did a search and found on the Steam forum that Nvidia users were having the same exact problem. The solution was to turn off "Advanced PhysX".

To top it off, it isn't even in the video settings menu.

I turned it off and went back into the game... back to buttery smooth.

Makes me wonder why they haven't fixed it yet....:mad:

It's because you're using an AMD video card. PhysX isn't designed to work with them very well. I had the same issue with Last Light but for me there was an option that was easy to find in the graphics menu. The other option is to try to use an Nvidia GPU as a secondary card for PhysX but with an AMD as your primary card you have to perform some registry voodoo. I didn't find the payoff worth it since it gave me issues with non PhysX games.

So, when you kill BNK3r, you never have items drop to the second level?

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=3979240&postcount=8

I'll note that I have not yet even tried running with PhysX turned on higher than Low, because I don't want to lose loot without even knowing it, and have not yet gotten to BNK3r (though I am getting close now) which is the only place I'm aware of where there's a good test for it.

Works fine on my NVIDIA card :D

hehehe Mine too, though on BL2 as mentioned above, I've noticed some oddness when having it set to high. At medium, no issues. On high, I get some minor weirdness with some objects, and the occasional weapon disappearing thing. Not even that often, but I've seen it.

Haven't tried Last Light yet, because I'm holding off for the Redux versions. (played the original 2033 and loved it)

I tried BL2 with and without, and definitely won't play it without PhysX effects enabled. It's mostly visual, but it does add a lot to a pure action game like this. They really did a good job with its implementation I think. (Short of the minor glitches I've seen on high-mode.) Even at medium settings it looks really nice.

Physx looks neat but the problem is, there isn't enough value there for what you get. It is better to just buy a more powerful AMD card instead of getting a lower end geforce w/physx

Physx looks neat but the problem is, there isn't enough value there for what you get. It is better to just buy a more powerful AMD card instead of getting a lower end geforce w/physx

I will never buy another ATI/AMD card again. I've had 2 in the past 5 years and they both had Vysnc issues. Their software drivers are shit.

That being said, why not just buy an equally powerful Nvidia card and get PhysX as a bonus?

I will never buy another ATI/AMD card again. I've had 2 in the past 5 years and they both had Vysnc issues. Their software drivers are shit.

That being said, why not just buy an equally powerful Nvidia card and get PhysX as a bonus?

Nvidia tends to be more expensive. Though I can't go to AMD because some of the games I play get 50% less performance on AMD. :p

Nvidia tends to be more expensive. Though I can't go to AMD because some of the games I play get 50% less performance on AMD. :p

A bit more expensive, but its hard to contend with that EVGA Warranty.

I've also picked up a few AMD cards over the last couple of years. I REALLY want to like them. I really do. They get a lot of things right in their hardware design, but the software... UGH!! I play a LOT of OpenGL based games, being an id fan for one thing, and their drivers suck for those games. Period. They've improved, but they still pretty much suck. I also have seen plenty of VSync issues, I like NV's triple buffering, I like PhysX (I don't like that it's proprietary to NV, but I do like it) and NV's drivers just tend to work. I've had a few bad driver revs over the years, but really, they're pretty solid. (at least in everything I play) I usually just pick up a good mid-range GTX x60 or x70 sort of card, and they do just fine. I'm always willing to give AMD another go though some day.

Back