Metro: Exodus

Seemed to be OC related - closing MSI Afterburner didn't seem to do anything, but I kicked everything back down to stock and it seems stable now.

Weird that it is only this one game out of all of the other demanding titles I've tried.

Metro games have always been a bit odd. Very demanding and good looking, but I recall my GPUs tend to get very hot and the Last Light benchmark was a bit finicky. The benchmarks themselves are a lot more demanding than actual gameplay, but I over time I found that the LL benchmark will really tell you if your OC was too high.

Might want to play around with a more mild OC once you're done with the game.

Edit: Seems like DLSS only gives around a 6 frame rate jump for me. From around 52 to 58, or 48 to 54 depending on the scene. This is the desert area with the brush outside of the train which is by far the most demanding part of the game.

Last edited:
I also keep getting this bug where when you open the map in the van thing (in the desert area) it moves your camera up a foot or so, so you are looking at the top of the windshield and it's impossible to see. Boggles my mind how something like this is still in the game, it's reproducible.

so I guess I'm the only one that got freaked out by all the giant ass bugs in this game? whats wrong with me............

I wish I had known that they just take away a bunch of your resources between levels... Had like 800 of everything and then the next level half of my ammo was gone and I was down to 200 resources. So I guess don't bother hoarding resources.

so I guess I'm the only one that got freaked out by all the giant ass bugs in this game? whats wrong with me............

Are you talking about those big black spider like fuckers underground bunker in the Desert? Yes, hated those fuckers and made sure to keep my light on as much as I could.

Fuckers still give me the creeps. *shudder*

I need to finish this game already I never came across no spiders I'm at the Desert level just going into the sewer pipe.

Seemed to be OC related - closing MSI Afterburner didn't seem to do anything, but I kicked everything back down to stock and it seems stable now.

Weird that it is only this one game out of all of the other demanding titles I've tried.

Yup, I had to lower my RAM clocks just for this game. I could run Prime 95 for hours stable and play any other game without issue. I couldn't believe it was the OC and spent weeks troubleshooting it and actually have up until just this last weekend and lowered my RAM OC just to play it and had zero issues for hours. Whereas before it could crash every 15-30 mins for me.

Yup, I had to lower my RAM clocks just for this game. I could run Prime 95 for hours stable and play any other game without issue. I couldn't believe it was the OC and spent weeks troubleshooting it and actually have up until just this last weekend and lowered my RAM OC just to play it and had zero issues for hours. Whereas before it could crash every 15-30 mins for me.
I've had some freezes and crashes with no OC, I think the game is just kinda shit in some parts.

Only thing I find irritating is WSAD BS when keys are mapped differently than default and trying to exit maps or sleep. I guess im and oddball that likes to map his own key preferences.

4A Engine 1_28_2021 11_14_55 AM.jpg
4A Engine 2_4_2021 8_22_56 AM.jpg

4A has announced an enhanced edition for PC that overhauls the game engine to use full ray tracing and DLSS 2.0.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/412020/announcements/detail/5716726968473484898

Wow...fantastic news...and it's free for owners of the game on Epic Store/Steam/GoG!!...I was just going to start the game this week as my first RTX game with my 3080...they already had RTX Global Illumination, ray-traced ambient occlusion and emissive lighting (with the Two Colonels DLC) which looked amazing...so they're building this new version from the ground up- meaning it'll be fully path traced like Minecraft?

Exodus needs to get more love as far as their RTX implementation...it's right behind Cyberpunk in my opinion

Looks like it will be based purely on ray tracing. So you need a ray tracing card. Which means it might actually use the technology in a notable way if it is build from the ground up to use that type of lighting. Will be interesting to see.

However, I wonder how much worse it will run. They claim it is optimized but I still think it will be more demanding. An RTX 3070 at 2560x1440 will likely not be able to handle it. Can't handle the current version. And if you don't have one now, you'll be waiting forever until you can get one.

However, I wonder how much worse it will run. They claim it is optimized but I still think it will be more demanding. An RTX 3070 at 2560x1440 will likely not be able to handle it. Can't handle the current version. And if you don't have one now, you'll be waiting forever until you can get one.

with DLSS 2.0 it should be able to run it...

Great news. I never did play this one on account of the Epic exclusivity bait & switch debacle. Looks like I'll be playing now with the best possible graphical experience.

Figures they announce DLSS 2.0 support right after I finish playing this last week. I finished the Two Colonels DLC too right afterwards too, which I really enjoyed, but haven't finished Sam's Story yet. So maybe I'll wait until this new edition now to play through that again. I had to spread out my main game playthrough of this game too due to constant crashing that took me forever to figure out was due to my RAM OC despite it being stable in every other game and running Prime95 for an hour.

Looks like it will be based purely on ray tracing. So you need a ray tracing card. Which means it might actually use the technology in a notable way if it is build from the ground up to use that type of lighting. Will be interesting to see.

With RTX on "High" and DLSS enabled, I just played through the game completely maxed otherwise (even left hairworks on) on a 2080 at 3440x1440 and it stayed right at 60 FPS most of the time with a +-10 FPS variance most of the time outdoors or up to +20 in smaller indoor areas. And with a 120 Hz G-Sync monitor, this card delivered pretty much the perfect experience to me considering it's a pretty slow-paced game and can easily still be enjoyed down to 30 FPS IMO. So I'm sure a 3070 at the same res or higher shouldn't have any issues with DLSS 2.0 now and any other optimizations they put in the game.

Edit: Sorry, I stand corrected; I just opened the game to verify and I had the "Quality" setting on "Ultra" and not "Extreme". Loading up a save on "Extreme" put me down into the 40-50 FPS range in that area, so still playable, but for the negligible improvement in IQ I think I'd just stick with Ultra for better performance.

Last edited:
With RTX on "High" and DLSS enabled, I just played through the game completely maxed otherwise (even left hairworks on) on a 2080 at 3440x1440 and it stayed right at 60 FPS most of the time with a +-10 FPS variance most of the time outdoors or up to +20 in smaller indoor areas. And with a 120 Hz G-Sync monitor, this card delivered pretty much the perfect experience to me considering it's a pretty slow-paced game and can easily still be enjoyed down to 30 FPS IMO. So I'm sure a 3070 at the same res or higher shouldn't have any issues with DLSS 2.0 now and any other optimizations they put in the game.

I recently bought a new 3080 and the main reason I went with this over a 3070 is because I want to be able to run games at native 1440p RTX without any DLSS at 60fps...I think I should be able to do that with the early RTX games like Metro Exodus, Control, Wolfenstein Youngblood etc

Figures they announce DLSS 2.0 support right after I finish playing this last week. I finished the Two Colonels DLC too right afterwards too, which I really enjoyed, but haven't finished Sam's Story yet. So maybe I'll wait until this new edition now to play through that again. I had to spread out my main game playthrough of this game too due to constant crashing that took me forever to figure out was due to my RAM OC despite it being stable in every other game and running Prime95 for an hour.

Edit: Sorry, I stand corrected; I just opened the game to verify and I had the "Quality" setting on "Ultra" and not "Extreme". Loading up a save on "Extreme" put me down into the 40-50 FPS range in that area, so still playable, but for the negligible improvement in IQ I think I'd just stick with Ultra for better performance.

I think I tried max settings, and with DLSS and ray tracing I was still getting in the 30s in some parts. Most demanding area is in the desert area by the ruins in the grass. And maybe the forest map. I have a 3070 that is OCed, running 2560x1440. DLSS didn't give much of a performance boost, at least at the quality setting. We'll see how this one pans out.

I recently bought a new 3080 and the main reason I went with this over a 3070 is because I want to be able to run games at native 1440p RTX without any DLSS at 60fps...I think I should be able to do that with the early RTX games like Metro Exodus, Control, Wolfenstein Youngblood etc

I'm still trying to get a 3080, but yeah I'd say you should be able to do that. IMO though DLSS (esp. 2.0) is definitely worth using for the performance improvement. I know some people claim that it looks blurrier to them with DLSS enabled, but I don't really see it after flipping it back and forth in the few titles I've used it on and even if I did I'm pretty sure I'd take it for an extra 30% FPS gain even if it was from 60-80 FPS.

This game (Metro) was really the only game where I noticed a degradation of IQ because of its older DLSS 1.x implementation; you can see artifacts in water and shadows a lot from certain angles, like lines running across them. But DLSS is pretty much required to run RTX in the game so I dealt with it despite RTX really not improving the visuals a whole lot in the areas where I thought to toggle it to see the difference. Honestly I don't think RTX really helped the visuals in this game a lot and you wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there, but since I had the hardware to run it I figured I might as well.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to get a 3080, but yeah I'd say you should be able to do that. IMO though DLSS (esp. 2.0) is definitely worth using for the performance improvement. I know some people claim that it looks blurrier to them with DLSS enabled, but I don't really see it after flipping it back and forth in the few titles I've used it on and even if I did I'm pretty sure I'd take it for an extra 30% FPS gain even if it was from 60-90 FPS.

This game (Metro) was really the only game where I noticed a degradation of IQ because of its older DLSS 1.x implementation; you can see artifacts in water and shadows a lot from certain angles, like lines running across them. But DLSS is pretty much required to run RTX in the game so I dealt with it despite RTX really not improving the visuals a whole lot in the areas where I thought to toggle it to see the difference. Honestly I don't think RTX really helped the visuals in this game a lot and you wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there, but since I had the hardware to run it I figured I might as well.

It varies from game to game. In general, the quality setting looks good enough. But you will see some artifacting or subduing of effects. A member here did a good video showing what it does in Death Stranding. Things like rain drops become almost unnoticeable and the water fall animations can look bugged. Even rivers look odd. Although they recently released a patch, which I believe improves DLSS quality.

I'm we excited about this news seeing as how I just started the game a few days ago. All setting on Ultra with Ray tracing and DLSS I'm ranging from 75-110 FPS @3440x1440 and game feels great (which matters more to me than raw frame rate)

Have to make use of this 3090 somehow...

I think I tried max settings, and with DLSS and ray tracing I was still getting in the 30s in some parts. Most demanding area is in the desert area by the ruins in the grass. And maybe the forest map. I have a 3070 that is OCed, running 2560x1440. DLSS didn't give much of a performance boost, at least at the quality setting. We'll see how this one pans out.

DLSS wasn't actually on or something then; the only way I got down in the 30s on a 2080 was to leave DLSS off with RTX on. Unless maybe there's an SSAA option in the game and you had that on 2x-4x or something. Which honestly is still completely playable in a game like this, but definitely not my (or most of us here) preference of course. No matter now I guess though; not much use in playing now that we know this update is coming. DLSS 2.0 is a significant improvement on its initial implementation and definitely worth waiting for if you haven't played it yet and have an RTX card of any sort.

despite RTX really not improving the visuals a whole lot in the areas where I thought to toggle it to see the difference. Honestly I don't think RTX really helped the visuals in this game a lot and you wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there, but since I had the hardware to run it I figured I might as well.

I was looking at the Digital Foundry Metro Exodus RTX videos recently and it looks pretty impressive to me...to be fair it's not something most people will notice without doing a side-by-side but when you see the differences with it On vs Off I don't think I would want to play with it Off

Hmm.. Been working my way through this (usually it crashes then I don't play it for a week...lol), maybe I'll wait for the upgraded version to finish.

I got this on an epic sale but haven't played it yet. Definitely waiting for the enhanced edition before I do now! RTX 3080 should handle it nicely.

DLSS wasn't actually on or something then; the only way I got down in the 30s on a 2080 was to leave DLSS off with RTX on. Unless maybe there's an SSAA option in the game and you had that on 2x-4x or something. Which honestly is still completely playable in a game like this, but definitely not my (or most of us here) preference of course. No matter now I guess though; not much use in playing now that we know this update is coming. DLSS 2.0 is a significant improvement on its initial implementation and definitely worth waiting for if you haven't played it yet and have an RTX card of any sort.

Only gave me a 5-6 frame rate boost. A lot lower than most other games.

I was looking at the Digital Foundry Metro Exodus RTX videos recently and it looks pretty impressive to me...to be fair it's not something most people will notice without doing a side-by-side but when you see the differences with it On vs Off I don't think I would want to play with it Off

Yeah, I've seen those, but when I got into the actual game to see for myself, the scene impact that RTX had didn't seem nearly as significant in most cases, esp. indoors. Sometimes to me the objectively more realistic lighting made for a subjectively less contrasty (no bounce lighting) and moody scene to be as well. So I think sometimes this lighting method can work against the artist's intent for certain scenes

Only gave me a 5-6 frame rate boost. A lot lower than most other games.

That doesn't align with my findings or any benchmarks I've seen for the game either. So definitely something off with your setup or game config. But again, no use in bothering with it now that this update is coming.

Yeah, I've seen those, but when I got into the actual game to see for myself, the scene impact that RTX had didn't seem nearly as significant in most cases, esp. indoors. Sometimes to me the objectively more realistic lighting made for a subjectively less contrasty (no bounce lighting) and moody scene to be as well. So I think sometimes this lighting method can work against the artist's intent for certain scenes

the base game only had ray traced ambient occlusion so the indoor scenes wouldn't really show any noticeable improvements...it's only with the Two Colonels DLC that added the emissive lighting which made a bigger difference in indoor scenes

Game does drag at times without DLSS on a 3080 @ 1440p, with everything maxed. Seems really noticeable starting in the desert area, I had to turn on DLSS which looks like crap. I suspect being one of the first RTX games it's not very well optimized.

From my experience I can't say that is possible, at least not all the time, with everything maxed out. I definitely get drops below 60 on those settings in Metro. With RTX without DLSS you are generally probably going to drop below 60 in most games.

From my experience I can't say that is possible, at least not all the time, with everything maxed out. I definitely get drops below 60 on those settings in Metro. With RTX without DLSS you are generally probably going to drop below 60 in most games.
Indeed, or the alternative is to use the games native resolution up-scaler if it supports it, which in Metro's case has its own set of IQ trade-offs compared to DLSS including of course being less sharp than native res.

This is a good example of why more games need to implement Dynamic Resolution Scaling (DRS) just like consoles commonly use in order to have the best of both worlds; stable performance at a fixed FPS target and change resolution dynamically as needed instead of visa versa since performance dips have a much larger impact on gameplay than resolution, esp. at any resolution over 1080p. And what would really blow people's minds is if we could get both DRS and DLSS (or an equivalent up-scaler if one comes along) running at the same time for a virtually (key word) no-compromise implementation of best performance and IQ possible. I think something like this will be key for portable devices like the next Switch successor in order to compete with current gen consoles at all, considering DRS alone is what's allowed the current Switch to perform and look as well as it does in most games.

Game does drag at times without DLSS on a 3080 @ 1440p, with everything maxed. Seems really noticeable starting in the desert area, I had to turn on DLSS which looks like crap. I suspect being one of the first RTX games it's not very well optimized.

Exodus used DLSS 1.0 which was pretty blurry...with the Enhanced Edition using DLSS 2.0 I'm sure it should be much better

DLSS 1.0 is not only more blurry, it also didn't work with HDR which was a huge blunder.

Back