Metro: Exodus

ReShade doesn't work with DX12 games...Exodus is a gorgeous game as is...I was just curious about DLSS going forward and how it effects other more traditional AA methods
You can use postprocess AA with DLSS in FFXV, so it is not a limitation of the algorithm. The 4A devs were either lazy or honestly thought that DLSS would preclude the need for other AA methods. I would not call DLSS an AA method anyway, since it is upsampling, not downsampling.

very early in-game...

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.png
    4.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Well frack me DX12 4K Ultra settings notice some stutter in opening cut scene which was fine.
Played for 20 minutes thinking wow what a great looking game and running smooth 4K and boom computer froze and had to hard reset,
damm I thought Shadow of the Tomb Raider was bad for crashing when at tabbing when first released but I can not remember a game that actually
froze the computer.

I have hundreds of hours in Kingdom Come Deliverance and Assassin Creed Odyssey since SOTTR .
Come on patch for fix.Guess I am not the only one on Steam version that getting crash.I do not care anyway it will get fixed.

Well frack me DX12 4K Ultra settings notice some stutter in opening cut scene which was fine.
Played for 20 minutes thinking wow what a great looking game and running smooth 4K and boom computer froze and had to hard reset,
damm I thought Shadow of the Tomb Raider was bad for crashing when at tabbing when first released but I can not remember a game that actually
froze the computer.

I have hundreds of hours in Kingdom Come Deliverance and Assassin Creed Odyssey since SOTTR .
Come on patch for fix.Guess I am not the only one on Steam version that getting crash.I do not care anyway it will get fixed.
Zero crashes for me. If your computer is hard locking I doubt it’s the game.

very early in-game...

This game has always looked fabulous.
What neat stuff.

Couple questions:
1) video settings?
2) what software do you run to give you the on-screen data? I generally use afterburner, but lately it doesn't show framerate anymore.

What neat stuff.

Couple questions:
1) video settings?
2) what software do you run to give you the on-screen data? I generally use afterburner, but lately it doesn't show framerate anymore.
I could be wrong, but it looks like the RTSS overlay.

What neat stuff.

Couple questions:
1) video settings?

it's MSI Afterburner...it still shows frametime...maybe you don't have it checked in the Afterburner settings...the game is unusually dark in the tunnels...it's hard to spot supplies, journals etc...I finished a replay of both Redux versions last week and it never looked this dark...increasing the gamma doesn't look right either...I'm still trying to find a good balance

I'm running at 1440p, all Ultra, Hairworks, PhysX etc enabled...fps seems to be mostly in the 50's...although I haven't gotten to the outside areas yet...

I could be wrong, but it looks like the RTSS overlay.

it's MSI Afterburner...it still shows frametime...maybe you don't have it checked in the Afterburner settings...the game is unusually dark in the tunnels...it's hard to spot supplies, journals etc...I finished a replay of both Redux versions last week and it never looked this dark...increasing the gamma doesn't look right either...I'm still trying to find a good balance

I'm running at 1440p, all Ultra, Hairworks, PhysX etc enabled...fps seems to be mostly in the 50's...although I haven't gotten to the outside areas yet...

Thank you for the information, appreciate it.
I haven't used the server overlay before, I'm just stupid.
I'll look at that when I get home.

I'm anxious to see how my system runs this game. I also played Metro 2033 Redux last week, the Redux version was very well done and ran smoothly at full settings, so I hope this one
runs as well.

Thank you for the information, appreciate it.
I haven't used the server overlay before, I'm just stupid.
I'll look at that when I get home.

I'm anxious to see how my system runs this game. I also played Metro 2033 Redux last week, the Redux version was very well done and ran smoothly at full settings, so I hope this one
runs as well.

it's definitely more demanding then 2033 Redux...your 1080ti SLI should be fine depending on what resolution you're running

it's definitely more demanding then 2033 Redux...your 1080ti SLI should be fine depending on what resolution you're running

No doubt.
But the frame rates you are seeing are very reassuring to me.
I play 5780 x 1200 three monitor surround, sometimes it can be a little taxing, but I think my computer will give me
a decent play-ability.

I've played some more today - And this game is just incredible.

For me, this is the perfect type of game. I love how the game takes you through different very large maps, but there is still an overall narrative that sort of puts you through the game.

The level of attention and detail to the game world is outstanding, and I love all the dialog you can hear between people in the game.

The graphics have sort of blown my mind w/ RTX enabled. There are certain spots in the game where it looks so good that it messes with my brain almost to detriment because things almost look too real. I'm sure in 10 years the game will look out of date, but this is the first game in a long time that actually pushes graphics to the point where i'm left stunned.

I've had zero technical issues beyond the HDR + DLSS washed out colors bug. The game is stutter free for me, and i've had zero crashes.

For reference my system is a 2700x, and 2080ti. Running 4K HDR on my X27 the game just looks incredible. I just can't wait for them to fix the HDR + DLSS bug, as the performance improvement DLSS brings is very noticeable.

No doubt.
But the frame rates you are seeing are very reassuring to me.
I play 5780 x 1200 three monitor surround, sometimes it can be a little taxing, but I think my computer will give me
a decent play-ability.

nice setup!...the game is already very immersive even on one monitor so it should look incredible with 3

Well from reading this thread, and other reviews on this game, I decided to buy it. Of course I'm at work right now but when I get home gonna download and play it right away.

I've been waiting for a good game that will push my 4 month old new build. 2700X, MSI X470, 32G 3500Mhz, , LG 32" 4k and 1080Ti.

Can't wait to get the hell outta dodge and my boss is still here so I can't even sneak out.

The only thing i'll say is that the beginning of the game is very QTE heavy and scripted. Don't let it turn you off. Once you get to the first big open world map the game really becomes outstanding.

Played for 20 minutes thinking wow what a great looking game and running smooth 4K and boom computer froze and had to hard reset

I got one of those as well...couldn't Ctrl + Alt + Del or Alt + Tab...game just froze...haven't had to do a hard reset from a game crash in years...I might give DX11 a try...

Zero crashes for me. If your computer is hard locking I doubt it’s the game.

Oh great thanks for the tip.My computer is broke.
I will go buy a new computer now and i will report back later on the results on the new computer.

I got one of those as well...couldn't Ctrl + Alt + Del or Alt + Tab...game just froze...haven't had to do a hard reset from a game crash in years...I might give DX11 a try...

Your computer must be broke also,I suggest new computer.How could DX11 possibly fix anything.Good luck in trying DX11.I am no fool I am going to buy a computer.

Just want to say to some people. This game is taxing my GPU more then any other game currently. Check your overclock settings on your GPU if you are overclocking.

Oh great thanks for the tip.My computer is broke.
I will go buy a new computer now and i will report back later on the results on the new computer.

Your computer must be broke also,I suggest new computer.How could DX11 possibly fix anything.Good luck in trying DX11.I am no fool I am going to buy a computer.

The game is highly demanding. Just because you haven't had lock-ups in other games doesn't mean your hardware is sound. I remember a few years back overclocking my old 5820k system too much and I was getting random lock-ups in only one game - BF1. I thought it was the game as everything else ran fine, but I tried de-clocking a couple steps back and suddenly had zero issues with BF1 from that point on.

A complete hard lock in particular is almost always a hardware problem - Not software.

The game is highly demanding. Just because you haven't had lock-ups in other games doesn't mean your hardware is sound. I remember a few years back overclocking my old 5820k system too much and I was getting random lock-ups in only one game - BF1. I thought it was the game as everything else ran fine, but I tried de-clocking a couple steps back and suddenly had zero issues with BF1 from that point on.

A complete hard lock in particular is almost always a hardware problem - Not software.

I agree. Sometimes it an alt-tab thing, but generally if you lock up or crash you've simply pushed the hardware too much.
I had the same issue, can't recall the game....maybe Crysis 3 .....but it kept crashing on me and all my other games were fine.
I finally swallowed my pride and decided maybe the hardware was being pushed too hard, stepped back to defaults and things seemed fine, hahaha....until my PSU started spewing blue smoke.

I think in this case it's the game...I've seen quite a few posts on other forums describing the exact same freezing issue which required a reboot/reset...DX12 & DX11 pretty much look and perform the same in this game (the only difference being the ray-tracing/DLSS)...DX12 is for the RTX GPU people and the rest should try DX11 if they experience frequent crashes

Been playing it for about three hours now. Had a couple hard lockups in the beginning, but switched to DX11 and smooth sailing since then. I'm running it at 2560x1440 Extreme and getting 50-70 FPS. I don't care for all the "hand-holding" QTEs, but overall am enjoying it. It certainly has some beautiful graphics!

Got about 5 hrs in last night. 4k @ 60Hz, High settings with Advanced PhysX and DX12; 40-55 FPS on the SLI rig in my Sig. I am impressed, might see what Ultra plays like tonight. If it is smooth apart from the rare stutter, I may stick with it.

Early part of this game is story heavy, treat it like an extended intro. It wont let you Quick-save until the first open area. There are mechanics like weapon cleaning / repairing that the hints will nag you to take care of before you are able to ingame. The menus can be mildly clunky, but these are really my only complaints so far, I'm enjoying the game.

Been watching some streams of this and it does look great. Seems like a decent balance of linear and open world. Really tempted on it.. It's one of those I have a lot of other games I am playing now situations but fuck it. So for my gaming rig I am thinking DX11 and 1440p ultra settings?

For those of you running this in HDR, I'm not seeing an option for it in game, does that mean you have to enable it windows?

If so, that sucks.

1440p you should be fine with maxed out settings and a 1080ti.

Awesome thank you, that's my exact setup. I have an Ultrawide with a 1080ti. What kind of frames are you getting? I am anxious to try this out. I bought it this morning and it's downloading right now.

Early part of this game is story heavy, treat it like an extended intro. It wont let you Quick-save until the first open area. There are mechanics like weapon cleaning / repairing that the hints will nag you to take care of before you are able to ingame. The menus can be mildly clunky, but these are really my only complaints so far, I'm enjoying the game.

are you referring to that dark tunnel part in the early game?...you can Quicksave there...speaking of Quicksave, this is the first Metro game to have any sort of manual save option...both of the previous ones only had that Checkpoint Save system

Awesome thank you, that's my exact setup. I have an Ultrawide with a 1080ti. What kind of frames are you getting? I am anxious to try this out. I bought it this morning and it's downloading right now.

I just started playing after getting things set up.
I have SLi 1080 Ti and SLi appears to be working fine.
I'm running surround at 5760 x 1200, ultra, hair, physx in DX 11 with shader set to .7
According to Afterburner I'm using both GPUs at 99% and the heat rise on the GPU backs that up.
FRAPS is showing 110-120 FPS.
The game is smooth and looks pretty damn good. I love the QuickSave option. I'm sure it's better with RTX but for me that's a while off.

Been playing it for about three hours now. Had a couple hard lockups in the beginning, but switched to DX11 and smooth sailing since then. I'm running it at 2560x1440 Extreme and getting 50-70 FPS

same here...had a few freezes/lock-ups in the early tunnel area...switched to DX11 and not a single crash...seems like DX12 is mainly for people with RTX cards

I have a 1080 Ti and am running with extreme setting at 1440. I'm seeing a mix of 50 FPS outdoors and 70 FPS indoors.

are you referring to that dark tunnel part in the early game?...you can Quicksave there...speaking of Quicksave, this is the first Metro game to have any sort of manual save option...both of the previous ones only had that Checkpoint Save system

After that you face your first group of human enemies as they introduce the Train & Stealth as a play style option. Its short, but I didn't noticed the option to F5 in the game until after the following scenes.

Metro  Exodus Screenshot 2019.02.15 - 16.02.20.19.png

Snapped while in HDR so it'll be a bit washed out here, saved as standard definition. This thing pops in HDR, but the effects here blew me away. Looks way better in motion along with HDR. The sunshafts through the fog, and the reflections on the water move properly as you move your point of view around.

But again, and more importantly, it's incredible how much HDR makes a difference. This just looks so much better in HDR with the light popping.

Last edited:
Alright downloading now.... 1440p on my 4k display here we come... again. :) I need a second 1080ti me thinks. Seems like a better option than one 2080ti... I watched a lot of reviews of this vs FC5 new dawn and this game seems so much more immersing and engrossing... new launcher but whatever.. I want to play this game.

I started a new game using DX11...but all those journals that I found didn't reset...meaning they're still in my inventory...shouldn't a new game reset that?

I started a new game using DX11...but all those journals that I found didn't reset...meaning they're still in my inventory...shouldn't a new game reset that?

I recall that being like the prior games. Because they are collectables it stays across. You'd have to delete your entire save folder if you actually want to reset.

Alright downloading now.... 1440p on my 4k display here we come... again. :) I need a second 1080ti me thinks. Seems like a better option than one 2080ti... I watched a lot of reviews of this vs FC5 new dawn and this game seems so much more immersing and engrossing... new launcher but whatever.. I want to play this game.

Given the cost of the 1080ti, you'd be far better off just selling your current 1080ti and getting a 2080ti. A single 2080ti w/ DLSS enabled or going down to 70% shader scaling is over 60FPS @ ultra and RTX set to high. Raytracing really works well in this game.

Given the cost of the 1080ti, you'd be far better off just selling your current 1080ti and getting a 2080ti. A single 2080ti w/ DLSS enabled or going down to 70% shader scaling is over 60FPS @ ultra and RTX set to high. Raytracing really works well in this game.

This is the game that Nvidia should have used as there poster child for Ray Tracing that's for sure. The effects are quite stunning.

This is the game that Nvidia should have used as there poster child for Ray Tracing that's for sure. The effects are quite stunning.

BF5 used ray-tracing for reflections only...Exodus uses it for global illumination which is much better...plus Nvidia couldn't wait until Feb to launch the cards which is why BF5 was the chosen one...maybe they'll be offering a new bundle soon with Metro: Exodus

BF5 used ray-tracing for reflections only...Exodus uses it for global illumination which is much better...plus Nvidia couldn't wait until Feb to launch the cards which is why BF5 was the chosen one...maybe they'll be offering a new bundle soon with Metro: Exodus

I couldn't wait just to see if Nvidia was going to bundle this game with there RTX series. I bought one anyways. I have a LG OLED 65" C7 and i knew my 480 wouldn't do this game justice. I had a feeling this game would be something special and so far I'm absolutely 100% right. It is quite stunning in 4k all settings maxed with the exception of Ray Tracing, which is on high. The atmosphere is so engrossing. Had to be a day one buy for me.

Back