Metro:Exodus Steam Keys Fetching a Premium on G2A

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
The good word is that not only do Metro Exodus Steam keys still activate in Steam and allow you to download and play, but apparently - because of the "Never Epic Store" sentiment that is rampant out there, they are also fetching a premium.

The going price for this one is $87.13 USD.

upload_2019-3-26_13-9-20.png

Call me crazy, but I think I'd rather just wait until next year and work down my Steam backlog than overpay.

How would you even have a Steam pre-order key? Anyone who bought it there originally had the game added to the library automatically.
I guess if you bought a key for a friend maybe? idk.

Not sure. Maybe some early shipments of physical brick and mortar units that still had the Steam key in them?

The worst part is people really believing that the game is going to be cheaper when it releases on Steam just because it's a year later.

The worst part is people really believing that the game is going to be cheaper when it releases on Steam just because it's a year later.

Time will tell. Digital sales are really a volume game, as we know from Gabe Newell himself:

Gabe Newell said:
“The sale is a highly promoted event that has ancillary media like comic books and movies associated with it. We do a 75 percent price reduction, our Counter-Strike experience tells us that our gross revenue would remain constant. Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40. Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation.”

Essentially, the cheaper you sell a game, the more money you make. The lost per unit revenue is more than made up in volume.

Which is why it is curious and shortsighted of the publishers to go with Epic exclusives on these, as while they get a larger slice of the pie, total unit sales will almost certainly be lower there.

Time will tell. Digital sales are really a volume game, as we know from Gabe Newell himself:

Essentially, the cheaper you sell a game, the more money you make. The lost per unit revenue is more than made up in volume.

Which is why it is curious and shortsighted of the publishers to go with Epic exclusives on these, as while they get a larger slice of the pie, total unit sales will almost certainly be lower there.
Yes, but the publisher sets the price on Steam, and publishing executives are short-sighted rubes.

Yes, but the publisher sets the price on Steam, and publishing executives are short-sighted rubes.

They are, but you are also missing the context is what Gabe is saying. They put CS on SALE and got a lot of money. The sale caused people to rush to buy the game because it was cheaper than the normal price. It doesn't mean that setting the base price of a game cheaper will automatically generate enough sales to not only account for the profit made at a higher MSRP but go well beyond that, it means if you put on game on a sale it can cause games to have exponentially higher sales during that lowered price period. Gamestop's entire business model is built around that very concept. Sell a used game for $5 less than MSRP and people are instantly attracted to the "cheaper" price because it makes them feel like they are getting a deal. Game publishers are well aware of this concept and make use of it quite often.

Edit because I hit post too soon: Putting the game on Steam at lower than the current $50 price might drive units, but what would do more would be them keeping the MSRP the same (or lowering it on both stores) and offering a limited time "discount" around launch. I could definitely see Deep Silver going that route. Either that or keeping the MSRP high but releasing it as a "GOTY" collection.

I'll probably pick it up in 5 years when it's sub $10 because I don't see paying release day prices on single player games. You get the same gaming experience no matter what year you play it. In fact you might get a better gaming experience since all the bugs should be worked out by then.

I'll probably pick it up in 5 years when it's sub $10 because I don't see paying release day prices on single player games. You get the same gaming experience no matter what year you play it. In fact you might get a better gaming experience since all the bugs should be worked out by then.

I'm with you on that. I'm currently playing Far Cry 2 and quite enjoying it. It may be 11 years old, but it has aged pretty gracefully. (unlike the original Far Cry, which in 2019 is pretty bad)

It's very light on the GPU, yet somehow still manages to not look terrible. I'm playing at 4K with erverything maxed and the framerate pinned at 60hz vsync. the GPU is rarely loaded beyond 30%. I decided to underclock it for this game, and with these settings my system fans don't even spin up much beyond idle, so it is nice and quiet :)

I'm not sure I'll wait 5 years though. I will likely get the urge to bite well before then.

Gabe is a genius, the man pioneered the digital storefront. The amount of analytics Steam has gathered over the years is invaluable research for marketing.

Gabe is a genius, the man pioneered the digital storefront. The amount of analytics Steam has gathered over the years is invaluable research for marketing.

You can do some pretty cool stuff with pricing and volumes once your unit cost is practically nil. It completely changes the equation.

(unlike the original Far Cry, which in 2019 is pretty bad)

Funny you say that. The first Far Cry has been in my backlog for a very long time and I'm trying to play it now. The older graphics don't bother me, it's just that this game is very repetitive and no fun at all. I also made the mistake of starting the game with the auto adjustable difficulty and the game went from a smooth sail to BOOM, they one shot me in the bushes just coming up on them.

LOL! The kicker is, people will pay that and more just to show it to the "man"! :D
Yeah, they are going to show it to the man alright by paying a premium to a swindler. They'll show how stupid they are.

Call me crazy, but I think I'd rather just wait until next year and work down my Steam backlog than overpay.
By waiting a year and then buying it you're just showing them that you're willing to punish yourself for their anti-consumer policy.

By waiting a year and then buying it you're just showing them that you're willing to punish yourself for their anti-consumer policy.

I don't feel punished. I have plenty of stuff to do until then. I'm in no rush. If anything it shows how little I care about buying it now. A good game is still a good game in a year or five, and may even be a better game with the bugs out of the way and GOTY extras included.

I'm not one of those retards who camps outside an Apple store in order to get some device on day one. Being first as very little value :p

I'd recommend Far Cry 2 though. It's pretty good. A much more modern game. Reminds me a bit of a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. set in Africa without the magic stones.

No, it shows that you don’t want to support the game being exclusive to EGS but still want to support the game when they release it somewhere you are willing to buy it. It shows that people want to buy the game and support it but don’t want to support practices they disagree with.

Funny you say that. The first Far Cry has been in my backlog for a very long time and I'm trying to play it now. The older graphics don't bother me, it's just that this game is very repetitive and no fun at all. I also made the mistake of starting the game with the auto adjustable difficulty and the game went from a smooth sail to BOOM, they one shot me in the bushes just coming up on them.

Yeah, I played it for the first and only time earlier this year.

I didn't do the auto difficulty (I don't recall even seeing the setting) I played on medium or hard static setting. I forget which.

Other than that my experience matches yours. The graphics were dated, bit that didn't bother me much. The game was just boring, the story lacking in depth, the voice acting pretty bad (I cringed every time the main character spoke) and just turned into a drag of a linear shooter.

I finished it, but the only reason I forced myself to was because I thought the story arc would continue to the sequels. I didn't do my homework and didn't realize they were all stand alone story wise.

I don't feel punished. I have plenty of stuff to do until then. I'm in no rush. If anything it shows how little I care about buying it now. A good game is still a good game in a year or five, and may even be a better game with the bugs out of the way and GOTY extras included.

I'm not one of those retards who camps outside an Apple store in order to get some device on day one. Being first as very little value :p

I'd recommend Far Cry 2 though. It's pretty good. A much more modern game. Reminds me a bit of a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. set in Africa without the magic stones.
The game might be the same a year from now (unless it is a live service) but you'll inevitably feel left out. You can't discuss it with people when they play it, and by the time you get to it, nobody else will be interested in discussing it.

The game might be the same a year from now (unless it is a live service) but you'll inevitably feel left out. You can't discuss it with people when they play it, and by the time you get to it, nobody else will be interested in discussing it.

I don't do much game discussing with anyone these days, so I'm fine :p

I'm nearing 40. Most of my friends have left town and have kids and never really play games anymore. I myself rarely have game time anymore as I too have a special someone and a stepson. I get in a couple of hours a week on average. Never any online games anymore though. This is why my Steam backlog is so long. Not necessarily because I own a lot of games I haven't played, but more because it takes me a REALLY long time to finish a game and move on to the next one :p

As mentioned, I'm thoroughly enjoying Far Cry 2 right now. It's 11 years old. Tha'ts not detracting from the experience one bit :p

Yeah, I played it for the first and only time earlier this year.

I didn't do the auto difficulty (I don't recall even seeing the setting) I played on medium or hard static setting. I forget which.

Other than that my experience matches yours. The graphics were dated, bit that didn't bother me much. The game was just boring, the story lacking in depth, the voice acting pretty bad (I cringed every time the main character spoke) and just turned into a drag of a linear shooter.

I finished it, but the only reason I forced myself to was because I thought the story arc would continue to the sequels. I didn't do my homework and didn't realize they were all stand alone story wise.
I loved the original Far Cry, because it is fair. I played it on realistic difficulty, which means one headshot and you're dead, but it goes the other way too. One of the best experiences I've had with a shooter. And it was linear, but it had a lot of open areas, and bases that you could take from any direction. This is what I most enjoy about these games the freedom to make my own choices on how I attack an enemy base. I must have finished the demo (in which you could play the third level of the game) at least a dozen times trying to find every which way I can enter the base.

The level where you're thrown out of the choppa without weapons into the mutant infested rain forest was one of the most intense levels I've ever played in any game.

I loved the original Far Cry, because it is fair. I played it on realistic difficulty, which means one headshot and you're dead, but it goes the other way too. One of the best experiences I've had with a shooter. And it was linear, but it had a lot of open areas, and bases that you could take from any direction. This is what I most enjoy about these games the freedom to make my own choices on how I attack an enemy base. I must have finished the demo (in which you could play the third level of the game) at least a dozen times trying to find every which way I can enter the base.

The level where you're thrown out of the choppa without weapons into the mutant infested rain forest was one of the most intense levels I've ever played in any game.

I suspect your nostalgic memory of this game may be better than reality.

Having just played it, I really wasn't impressed at all.

Having just played it, I really wasn't impressed at all.

me either, has 10 minute non-stoppable cut scenes like the garbage release called Shadow of the Tomb Raider. In my own baseless opinion they increased profits by shortening the game then added boringly long cut-scenes to fool folks into thinking the sequel is as long as the original game ... :barefoot:

...or just wait until next year and grab it on Steam rather than paying over MSRP from a shady website. Hell, it might even be $40 by then.

me either, has 10 minute non-stoppable cut scenes like the garbage release called Shadow of the Tomb Raider. In my own baseless opinion they increased profits by shortening the game then added boringly long cut-scenes to fool folks into thinking the sequel is as long as the original game ... :barefoot:

At least it’s not as bad as Kingdom Hearts 3. I had to give up on that game because the developers refused to give the player more than 5-10 minutes of play time (if you’re lucky) before shoving them into another long ass cutscene.

To be honest,I havent found any Far Cry games very good.

The Epic support for Metro has been just fine.
When Im done with Metro,Im done with Epic.

the developers refused to give the player more than 5-10 minutes of play time (if you’re lucky) before shoving them into another long ass cutscene.

and then they wonder why their games aren't selling like they were expecting they would :barefoot:

and then they wonder why their games aren't selling like they were expecting they would :barefoot:

Sold like 5 million copies. Honestly the game could have been utter crap and it would have sold a ton just because people have been waiting so long for it. Apparently they lay off on the cutscenes a bit further in but the amount I was not allowed to play a game with gameplay I really liked means I’m never going to get that far to find out.

Gabe puts CounterStrike on sale, sells a shitload... that's just the hacker jackasses buying cheap copies on multiple alt steam accounts. So they can play for a few weeks with their hacks on, get banned, then spin up a new account and repeat the process...

I wonder if the 40x sales jump happens on single player games. Though to be fair, some of that is just due to the game being shown somewhere on a page of stuff on sale. Over 300 games in my steam library, and I know already that there's no way I will ever finish playing them all.

As mentioned, I'm thoroughly enjoying Far Cry 2 right now. It's 11 years old. Tha'ts not detracting from the experience one bit :p

I'm glad you're enjoying it. In my opinion, most people wrote it off far too soon, focusing on the couple of annoyances that it has (primarily the accelerated weapon degradation, re-spawning guards at checkpoints, and the malaria attacks that would strike out of nowhere).

But -- if you can forgive/accept those design choices -- it's a very unique entry to the series. I really dug the serious tone and the realistic feel of the game, and being alone with wildlife, at sunset, while traversing the African plains is a truly special and tranquil feeling. And of course 5 minutes later you can be fighting for your life in a firefight.

There are a few of us here who are real fans of the game. It took me a few tries to get into it, but once I gave it a real chance I was hooked and played until the end.

The original Far Cry was fun. Nice looking environments for its day, was the first game to come out with a 64bit executable...

When Far Cry 2 came out, it had nothing to do with the storyline from the original. This was why it wasn't received very well initially. I myself did play Far Cry 2 several years after it came out, and liked it. It had 2 different endings iirc, and the subsequent Far Cry games have all been variations on Far Cry 2's design: Open world, run around doing various tasks, capture radio towers, capture outposts, several different endings. It's the same basic game every time, just different stories.

Back OT: The Metro steam keys are what were in the physical copies sold, mostly in the EU from what I can see. I tried to find a physical copy to buy here, a few weeks ago, out but no physical copies available in the US, and even the UK already showed as sold out on Amazon.com. I have the epic app/account already so I could play Fortnite with some friends about a year ago, but it really is annoying having so many different "digital distribution" apps... Steam, Origin, Uplay, Epic, Bethesda, Battle.net, probably some I've forgot...

The original Far Cry was fun. Nice looking environments for its day, was the first game to come out with a 64bit executable...

When Far Cry 2 came out, it had nothing to do with the storyline from the original. This was why it wasn't received very well initially. I myself did play Far Cry 2 several years after it came out, and liked it. It had 2 different endings iirc, and the subsequent Far Cry games have all been variations on Far Cry 2's design: Open world, run around doing various tasks, capture radio towers, capture outposts, several different endings. It's the same basic game every time, just different stories.

Back OT: The Metro steam keys are what were in the physical copies sold, mostly in the EU from what I can see. I tried to find a physical copy to buy here, a few weeks ago, out but no physical copies available in the US, and even the UK already showed as sold out on Amazon.com. I have the epic app/account already so I could play Fortnite with some friends about a year ago, but it really is annoying having so many different "digital distribution" apps... Steam, Origin, Uplay, Epic, Bethesda, Battle.net, probably some I've forgot...

Heck, I just bought Farcry again for $2.99 from GOG.com. Loving it but I forgot how hard it actually can be, especially if you up to difficulty level. :) I set it so that it only go to 60fps because, otherwise, I end up with up to 700 fps at times and that is just on an RX570.

I loved farcry 1 because of its time ti was pretty open and you had multiple path sto your destination to choose from.

farcvry2 went overboard and just tossed you down in a sand box and you had to repeat the same 5 mission over and over again.
it didn't feel like there was any story you progress on it was juat running around and repeating the same 5 goals enough time to get to map 2

I've tried completing it 4 times now but i always get bored by the repeatedness

Last edited:
i lvoef farcry one because of its time ti was pretty open and you hade multipel apth to your destination to choose from.

farcvry2 wetn overbaord and jsut tossed you down in a sand box and you had to repaat the same 5 mission over and over again.
it didnt feel like there was any story you progress on it was judt running around and repeating the same 5 goals enough time to get to map 2

ive tried completing it 4 times now but i always get bored by the repeatedness

You can buy Farcry for $2.99, definitely worth a replay. New games may look "better" but, most are not better in the game play department.

I wonder if the 40x sales jump happens on single player games. Though to be fair, some of that is just due to the game being shown somewhere on a page of stuff on sale. Over 300 games in my steam library, and I know already that there's no way I will ever finish playing them all.

Maybe not 40x, but yes. You put something "on sale" it generally causes people to be more willing to buy it because they believe they're getting a deal. Even if the sale is only 5-10%. Of course the bigger the sale the more it get's people's attention.

I would buy this game on Steam with UBI games on Epic you can still bypass the Epic launcher using Uplay.

Metro Exodus 3rd party site keys.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/412020/discussions/0/1771511442683077969/

We have been made aware of illegal stolen keys being sold by an unofficial key reseller.

These keys have been obtained illegally from the factory where physical key printing had taken place prior to the announcement of exclusivity with Epic Games, due to the criminal nature of these keys, all unlicensed keys have been deactivated and activation / download of Metro Exodus without the executable file is no longer possible. In addition, the software will be removed from the Steam library of any players using an unauthorised code. The keys being sold on this platform are stolen goods, and are therefore illegal.

If you have been affected we strongly recommend you contact the seller who sold you the unlicensed key and demand a refund.

The only supported key sellers for Metro Exodus were Humblebundle and the Razer store.

Metro Exodus will return to Steam after 14 February 2020.

Back