Metro Exodus is returning to Steam after lengthy Epic Games Store exclusivity

I don't know why is this suddenly news now, I've seen multiple articles acting surprised by it. The exclusivity deal was for one year only, the one year is up, yes the game was released a year ago.
I think it was among the first, and the one that started the news reporting.

That being said, as you already noted, everyone knew at the time it was a one year deal. So I don't get OP's "hurting for sales" comment.

I think it was among the first, and the one that started the news reporting.

That being said, as you already noted, everyone knew at the time it was a one year deal. So I don't get OP's "hurting for sales" comment.
That doesn't mean it isn't hurting for sales. I mean if all the revenue epic created from 3rd party sales would be from Metro Exodus that would be a good number for such a high profile title. But obviously it is only a fraction of that.

I'm looking forward to see how many copies they sell on steam. It would be a great embarrasment for egs if steam sold more copies in yr2 than egs sold in yr1.

That doesn't mean it isn't hurting for sales. I mean if all the revenue epic created from 3rd party sales would be from Metro Exodus that would be a good number for such a high profile title. But obviously it is only a fraction of that.

I'm looking forward to see how many copies they sell on steam. It would be a great embarrasment for egs if steam sold more copies in yr2 than egs sold in yr1.

Doubt we'll see numbers, few games put out hard numbers by platform let alone what sub PC platform/client. Unless they're a small indie dev. Metro probably suffered the most because it was the first, and because they announced it so close to release.

I already know what the EGS hater reactions will be.

If it sells well on Steam: everyone waited because egs sucks
If it does not sell well on Steam: the game sucks, not worth the price a year later

Continue to ignore or deny any facts that don't support your delusional view.

Indeed. I don't think people are too keen on paying full price for a game that is a year old.

Well most games are full MSRP a year later. Obviously there are sales every now and then plus you have places like GMG. But yes, people do occasionally buy games at full price a year or so later even if there is no sale. Impulse buys, or people unexpectedly found a free weekend to binge game on and didn't buy during a sale in advance. So yes it probably will be $60, maybe $50, but most will just wait for a sale.

do you have gamepass? Have you ever had gamepass? If you do, more power to you. For a lot of people, they don't want it and will never use it and never miss it.

I was using Game Pass PC for a few months up until mid-December when I cancelled...but am going to sign up again with this $1 sale...it's a steal for the amount of games you get

3 month for $1 deal expires on Feb 13th
better act fast

Offer valid from January 16, 2020 to February 13, 2020. Offer available in all Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) markets excluding Russia. Not valid for existing or previous Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta) members, or current Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. Credit card required. After promotional period, subscription continues to be charged at the then-current regular price (subject to change), unless cancelled. Plus applicable taxes. Game catalog varies over time and by country.

It says $4.99 a month for me after my trial ends. But that might be a promo price.

there's a monthly plan and a quarterly plan...the monthly plan will be $4.99 a month...quarterly (every 3 months) will be $14.99...equals out to the same thing

First three months for 1$ total. After that i think its 14.99$ per month

looks I didn't qualify for the 3 months for $1...I'm guessing since I used a 2 month free trial a few months back...but I was able to sign up for the $1 for 1 month plan...still a great deal

How does Xbox Game Pass for PC work? Is it the same as Origin Access Premier for example? Subscription based but you download the game and install/play locally? It's not stupid streaming I hope. Will check the promo out if I can play Metro Exodus on it. I am not going to use the Epic store and I am not paying MSRP on Steam...

How does Xbox Game Pass for PC work? Is it the same as Origin Access Premier for example? Subscription based but you download the game and install/play locally? It's not stupid streaming I hope. Will check the promo out if I can play Metro Exodus on it. I am not going to use the Epic store and I am not paying MSRP on Steam...

yes you download and play it on your machine...

I came in to say Exodus wasnt exclusive. Microsoft Game Pass has had it since the beginning.

Now a public service announcement about Game Pass.

Game pass should be given its own drive. The installer is wonky. It makes folders you cant get into, or delete and when you uninstall games you don't always get the free size back. (They keep the installer files on your drive to help share out to other customers).

I had to format my normal games drive to clean that nonsense off — I then gave the Games Pass client its own cheap 256gb SSD and can live with it. If you like running a clean games drive this is a must at this time. $25 bucks well spent.

Nevertheless, the amount of value you get for $5 a month in Game Pass is really pretty incredible.

I came in to say Exodus wasnt exclusive. Microsoft Game Pass has had it since the beginning.

Now a public service announcement about Game Pass.

Game pass should be given its own drive. The installer is wonky. It makes folders you cant get into, or delete and when you uninstall games you don't always get the free size back. (They keep the installer files on your drive to help share out to other customers).

I had to format my normal games drive to clean that nonsense off — I then gave the Games Pass client its own cheap 256gb SSD and can live with it. If you like running a clean games drive this is a must at this time. $25 bucks well spent.

Nevertheless, the amount of value you get for $5 a month in Game Pass is really pretty incredible.

Hmm that's a bit concerning, wiping my games drive would be annoying as I'd have to copy everything to a mechanical drive and back. How is it possible that as admin in Win 10 Pro you can't delete a directory?

Hmm that's a bit concerning, wiping my games drive would be annoying as I'd have to copy everything to a mechanical drive and back. How is it possible that as admin in Win 10 Pro you can't delete a directory?
I work in Infosec. I thought I knew all the tricks. I could not take ownership of a few folders period. And in monkeying with it I messed up the Game Pass app, and had to reinstall.

You cant do it. Its more locked down than any OS folder Ive ever encountered.

Web-search and you'll see others with the same complaint.

I'm pretty sure it's because they install as the Windows UWP apps or whatever, which are heavily locked down.

Out now. Base price is $40 and it does not include any DLC. Season pass normal price is $25. The Gold Edition is $65.

It's currently on sale (until the 18th) for 40% off ($23.99, $18.17, and $38.98, respectively).

And for those who care: It uses Denuvo (because, apparently, they want to give people more reasons not to buy it)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/412020/Metro_Exodus/

The gamepass folders are ridiculously locked down. However it is possible to to take ownership of the sub folders and delete them, but it takes changing the trusted installer and a registry change to do so. I did uninstall the Gamepass beta service first though.

I just did it to uninstall and remove The Outerworlds, which thankfully I had already set up to install on it's own drive (separate Epic Game Store, Gamepass drive).

I had to go through the same crap when I uninstalled the Forza 4 demo before they released the gamepass beta app.

so i was right about the fact that when it got added back to steam sales went UP it wasnt doing well otherwise thats what i was getting at.

No, the fact that people were still willing to buy it on steam after a year of it being on epic means that the epic business model works for developers. Developers now know they can put it on epic for a year of sales at 88% and then when they switch over to steam at 70% they can get the holdouts.

Back