Metro 2033 system requirements!

Sipster

Gawd
Minimum System Requirements:
Dual core CPU (any Core 2 Duo or better will do)
DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant graphics cards (GeForce 8800, GeForce GT220 and above)
1GB RAM

Recommended System Requirements:
Any Quad Core or 3.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU
DirectX 10 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 260 and above)
2GB RAM

Optimum System Requirements:
Core i7 CPU
NVIDIA DirectX 11 compliant graphics card (GeForce GTX 480 and 470)
As much RAM as possible (8GB+)
Fast HDD or SSD

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/53357/Metro-2033-PC-System-Requirements-Revealed

Haha, recommending a GeForce 470/480 before they're even out?

nvidia must really be pushing this game as a physx showcase. Let's hope it actually affects gameplay this time.

So.........if I have a Radeon card I guess I can't play.......:rolleyes:

The optimum system would include a phantom console.

Can't wait to upgrade.. I'm so excited to play this.

Wonder how much of a difference an i7 920 stock would be over a core 2 quad at 3.0+?

Can't wait to upgrade.. I'm so excited to play this.

Wonder how much of a difference an i7 920 stock would be over a core 2 quad at 3.0+?
None, i7 when it comes to gaming is not really that much better over qx line unless you're using sli or crossfire.
6nwfia.jpg

This has quickly jumped up to being one of my most anticipated titles for the first half of 2010.

This better be the best looking game of all time up to it's release, and for atleast a year or two after.

To me this looks like the game STALKER wants to be when it grows up :) and thats saying a lot, I <3 stalker games.

Cannot wait for this one ... to drop from its $50 price point, so I will buy it, BFBC2 will be the only one getting $50 from me this year.

To me this looks like the game STALKER wants to be when it grows up :) and thats saying a lot, I <3 stalker games.

Cannot wait for this one ... to drop from its $50 price point, so I will buy it, BFBC2 will be the only one getting $50 from me this year.

The gameplay is totally different from STALKER, though. It's linear instead of open-world.

Oh yeah this game is really getting my attention big time!
I hope it performs nicely and not become the next Crysis that still sucks after so many years when it comes to performance.

The game looks great, but something tells me that Nvidia may have meddled in this game's development to cripple or decrease performance for ATI cards (if it were detected). Also, again with PhysX, that won't run on ATI cards unless one opts to buy an Nvidia card and hack the drivers to get it working together with an ATI card. The requirements look rather steep too. Do they realize how much SSDs are-- the good ones?

I don't know how many consumers will be willing to spend more money to purchase another system, or parts for another system, just to run a game that could possibly be hampered by using a competitor's CPU and GPU. The possibility that WILL happen is always there. To consumers, it's really unfair. It would be great if developers made games that run as best as possible regardless of what company's GPU is installed in a person's PC.

This meddling with game developing really just puts off buying a game if the developers solely intend this to run on one GPU/CPU manufacturer's chip. I guess only time will tell when this game gets released.

Just in time for my next rig. Going hog wild except holding back on the SSD drive for now. I need them to come down a bit more before I pull the trigger on that tech, but everything else should be top notch. i7-980 and 3x GTX 480 SLI and 12GB RAM. Trying to figure out if I should go with another Asus P6X58D Premium or something else. The cool thing about the P6X58D is that in an eight slots you get to use 3 dual slot GPUs AND a PCIe x1 slot which it cool if you want a sound card in that kind of a setup.

At any rate looking forward to the upgrade, it should be a supper sweet system. Just hope there aren't too many kinks and that overclocking goes well.

I don't remember seeing any screenshots or videos that would make me feel this game needed this steep of a system requirement.

A SSD shouldn't really affect in-game performance, they were probably just putting it down for the hell of it. The requirements do seem bizarrely steep, especially considering most of the game seems likely to take place in subway tunnels.

Okay, so I was told that for VISTA nothing much benefits from more than 4 gigabytes of ram - they want us to have 8?

Okay, so I was told that for VISTA nothing much benefits from more than 4 gigabytes of ram - they want us to have 8?

In 32 bit OSes this would be correct, as just under 4GB is addressable. In 64 bit OSes this is not the case. If the software makes use of that much memory, then it will be very helpful to have that much or more.

In 32 bit OSes this would be correct, as just under 4GB is addressable. In 64 bit OSes this is not the case. If the software makes use of that much memory, then it will be very helpful to have that much or more.

Yeah but I thought that some tech website did a test to find out if games with more than 4 gigabytes running VISTA improved any - they didn't.

I guess this game is going to change that. I'm not buying an additional 4 gigabytes just to play this game though? The developer is actually recommending it? Jesus.

EDIT: Oh I get it. For optimum performance they're also recommending a GTX 480. Pfffft.

Yeah but I thought that some tech website did a test to find out if games with more than 4 gigabytes running VISTA improved any - they didn't.

I guess this game is going to change that. I'm not buying an additional 4 gigabytes just to play this game though? The developer is actually recommending it? Jesus.

Depends on the application. Some are coded to handle more memory than others.

8gigs of ram? Rofl they pulled these optimal stats out of their ass. Be serious a second. This game has no sweeping vistas with incredible draw distances. Did I miss something?

no... same thing I was thinking...

First these new "optimal" settings are cash mines for hardware manufactures'. They have to get their money too.

AND, although this may not have sweeping vistas... from reading the article earlier, it may have a fuck load of lighting sources.

AND, although this may not have sweeping vistas... from reading the article earlier, it may have a fuck load of lighting sources.

+1. Lighting seems to be the biggest graphics draw, much like the original STALKER.

What is the estimated street release date for the so-called GTX 480 - some estimates have it later than May. This game ships in two weeks and they're recommending, for optimal performance, a card that won't be widely available until the summer... that's so stupid it almost puts me off the game?

What is the estimated street release date for the so-called GTX 480 - some estimates have it later than May. This game ships in two weeks and they're recommending, for optimal performance, a card that won't be widely available until the summer... that's so stupid it almost puts me off the game?

It's just Nvidia whorage IMO...a 5870 should run it fine, pending driver and game updates.

Well hey I don't blame Nvidia for the marketing of the gtx 470/480 in the game etc. It was probably planned and paid for a long time ago when they obviously thought they would have had fermi well established in retail channels. So why is that so hard to believe? Wait I know why....it's fashionable to beat on nvidia for everything they do these days be it good bad or indifferent. My bad, I need to get with that program I suppose?

What I'm having a hard time believing is the fucktarded optimal system requirments. I mean an SSD?really? Why so you can load the textures too and from the vram buffer quicker or from onboard ram quicker or what? I know how that works and unless they have fucktarded textures sizes I fail to see how 8 gigs + of system ram helps or is needed in this game. Someone wanna chime in who knows why they might do that?

I still think it's a simple case of, hey if we tell these hardware pc guys who love to get moaaar stuff for their pc's maybe they will think the higher the system requirments the moaaar betterer(lol) the game is?

other than the vapor vid card I have these optimal stats stomped on like a dead hooker... As awesome as this game looks, though, I hope my radeon will fit the bill, 'cause nVidia has some serious rep to try and recover with me before I ever buy another product from them...

two weeks to go until release, right?

Has anyone played Cryostasis? Maybe these "optimal requirements" will make that game finally playable!

It's just Nvidia whorage IMO...a 5870 should run it fine, pending driver and game updates.

Indeed.

Also, on the SSD optimal, i can see this being the issue with large textures taking an age to load.

All in all, i think the requirements aren't surprising at all.

why would an i7 and 8gb of ram even be a consideration when they just said the following: "We don't need as much system memory as other PC-only games. Anything above 512MB RAM with DX10/DX11 code-path on Win7 would be enough," Shishkovtsov says. "DirectX 9 uses system memory backing store for almost all GPU resources, so you should add around 256 MB to avoid page-file swapping.

"The CPU side is slightly more problematic. Because the system is heavily multi-threaded, we need at least two hardware threads for 'smooth' gameplay. The CPU performance doesn't matter that much, except on a few selected scenes during the whole game as long as it is relatively modern architecture (not Intel Atom!) and has more than one core."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metro2033-article?page=2

sorry but they are starting to sound like they are full of shit about everything. earlier in different interview they mentioned that the console and pc version wont look that much different now they are claiming significant visual differences.

I don't remember seeing any screenshots or videos that would make me feel this game needed this steep of a system requirement.

I can't see it either, screenshots and videos look decent but nothing special.

I certainly wouldn't upgrade to 'optimal' for this game

Wow Awfully steep requirements for what will inevitably a game with a colour pallet of only 3 shades of grey...in an empty subway tunnel...

Back