Metro 2033 preview vid

Wasn't that the point? Wouldn't ammo be scarce in a post-apocalyptic scenario?

Particularly since it has become the currency.

Regardless, infuriating game mechanics don't sell games. A need to manage is one thing, being unable to proceed on a regular basis in another.

Regardless, infuriating game mechanics don't sell games. A need to manage is one thing, being unable to proceed on a regular basis in another.

I watched the interview with one of the devs and he was explaining the ammo as currency, it's a fairly unique gameplay dynamic I don't recall seeing before. It's designed to make you think before you shoot and make decisions about whether to fight and what weapons to use, makes combat more tense and means you have to be a careful shot rather than just spray and pray which is common with lazy gamers now a days.

I love the idea of throwing knifes, you see that in one of the vids, looks brilliant :)

There are plenty of action heavy think-with-your-cock games on the market. Let's not dwindle the tiny number of innovative, or as you say, "infuriating" titles.

From the review I read, which seemed to be based on an earlier version of the game, it didn't seem like the reviewer was the "run around and blast everyone" type. He praised the bullet-rationing as a good idea but said it was taken too far. The bullets as currency is awesome, but ended up meaning you would down two enemies in a room, run out of bullets, and realize there were dozens more left to kill with no feasible way of actually killing them, or even getting more ammo. Bullet rationing is fine, obviously it fits the mood of the game, but taken too far, I could obviously have the potential to ruin a game. But it sounds like it's been dealt with and leveled out somewhat.

does the entire game take place underground or do you get to wander around the outside world as well?

does the entire game take place underground or do you get to wander around the outside world as well?
some of the screenshots are from outside so its not all underground. I havent read about the game in a while but I remember something mentioned about going to the surface.

from one of the interviews, the devs said you can and do. they even added interesting mechanics such as an oxygen mask to survive outside, but for a time amount, and that you mask can get damaged in combat and requires you to either find another one fast or retreat underground

There are plenty of action heavy think-with-your-cock games on the market. Let's not dwindle the tiny number of innovative, or as you say, "infuriating" titles.

Ah, don't misunderstand me. By infuriating, I mean taking a creative idea too far in one direction; making it drastically more artistic then practical. Innovation is a wonderful thing that I encourage passionately. However, we have all played games where that 'innovation' was not tempered. I'm simply imploring a well play-tested balance. That is all.

In short, my use of "infuriating" was not meant as you seem to be interpreting it. PrincessFrosty and Ottello are on the same train of thought as I.

From the review I read, which seemed to be based on an earlier version of the game, it didn't seem like the reviewer was the "run around and blast everyone" type. He praised the bullet-rationing as a good idea but said it was taken too far. The bullets as currency is awesome, but ended up meaning you would down two enemies in a room, run out of bullets, and realize there were dozens more left to kill with no feasible way of actually killing them, or even getting more ammo.

Sounds like he shot at the first people he saw then regretted it, sounds like the mechanic is working as intended, just need to be more careful next time :}

We're all in for a treat if this thing plays as good as it looks (IMO at least.) :)

im with the rest of ya, looks pretty damn nice.. as long as it gets good reviews and has great gameplay then im down for it

For the first time in a long time this is an FPS where it's not the multi player that has me intrigued.

The actual shooting mechanic seems to plague Eastern European titles. Stalker had this problem, as did Boiler Point (I recall reading that), as well as a game most of you probably don't recall (and I don't remember the name of), which was the first title to do global soft shadows. It had a demo release and died after that.

The review makes me think this is basically a STALKER clone in terms of fundamentals.

Lines like these:
Metro 2033 is going to have its fair share of detractors. We’ll lay down the Joker card early: the shooting isn’t all that great. As we feared last issue, the guns do feel underpowered and enemies sometimes absorb a bullet or two without even flinching. If you’re after a great blaster then Metro 2033 may not be for you.

LOL, if that isn't STALKER I don't know what is.

That's because in Eastern Europe, they can take bullets like real men. Us Westerners are all like "Awww man, you just unloaded a double-barrel shotgun in my face!" whereas they're all "I'm going to take another shot of vodka and wait until you're reloading to kill you, bro."

That's because in Eastern Europe, they can take bullets like real men. Us Westerners are all like "Awww man, you just unloaded a double-barrel shotgun in my face!" whereas they're all "I'm going to take another shot of vodka and wait until you're reloading to kill you, bro."

This is the worst regurgitation of a meme I've read in since the 3 Metro 2033 "From Russia With Love" review article titles.

When I first played STALKER, I tried to play it like all other FPS games and failed hardcore. Once I got used to the game's mechanics and started to not treat it like a run and gun shooter, It ended up becoming one of my all time favs. If Metro 2033 plays anything like stalker, I suspect I'll enjoy it quite a bit.

More STALKER is good. :)

Yes and no. I like those games a lot but there are a few things in them that annoy me.

A guy taking a bunch of slugs and kicking my ass when he should be dead, even after multiple headshots, is kind of annoying. ;)

Can't wait for this game. This is the only game so far that has me thinking of upgrading my 9800GTX once and for all. We will see how it runs. If things go well, time to keep trucking with the 9800gtx.

biggest shock to people playing stalker is how easily they die, limited inventory.... in that sense they are equal with other enemies. It does not come into full bloom until later in the game with better weapons. Harder to get there, but very satisfying.

Yes and no. I like those games a lot but there are a few things in them that annoy me.

A guy taking a bunch of slugs and kicking my ass when he should be dead, even after multiple headshots, is kind of annoying. ;)

Stalker Complete 2009!

Back