Metro 2033 or Just Cause 2

Vegasr

Gawd
Ready to starting playing a new game, either Metro 2033 or Just Cause 2. Suggestions on which one?

Do you already own both? If you own them both, just play through metro 2033 before JC2... since it takes much less time. If not, then I'd get JC2 over metro 2033.

Yep, do own both, but didn't want to flip flop between the two so was just going to play one right now.

Metro 2033 at night time, Just Cause 2 on weekends when you have 4 hours straight to spare.

Metro2033 is great in many aspects but is frustrating because it lacks a quick save feature - it uses a retarded "checkpoint" feature as so many console games do; and due to its poor implementation you can end up replaying/repeating hours of gameplay (especially if you like to explore).

I had enough and uninstalled in the middle of the game, will re-install it sometime in the future when someone mods or hacks a quick save feature into the game. So lame that a potentially great game fails so hard due to the lack of one feature, which should have been supported without a doubt for its gametype/genre.

JC2. the whole 3 shotgun shells to the head to kill someone or half an ak clip to kill someone is lame but other than that its fun

I don't have any issues killing dudes in JC2. It only takes 1 to 2 shots to the head with a 4/6 star pistol to drop everyone I've come across. Later in the game they start wearing body armor which allows them to soak up most weapons fire.

I don't have any issues killing dudes in JC2. It only takes 1 to 2 shots to the head with a 4/6 star pistol to drop everyone I've come across.

That's what I've heard...supposedly fine aim mode + headshots is the way to go.

I plan to get both because I found the JC2 demo really fun, and I love scary games so Metro 2033 is on my list as well. Just waiting for this semester to finish so I can have time to play them! Hopefully I'll be able to pick them up for ~$20 by then.

criccio, can you elaborate on your post a bit more? What is disappointing about the game in your opinion? In the Metro 2033 thread everyone was talking about how awesome & scary it was, but I've noticed that many game threads tend to be full of awesomeness and hype when a game is first released and then people start noticing the flaws after a while...

I don't have any issues killing dudes in JC2. It only takes 1 to 2 shots to the head with a 4/6 star pistol to drop everyone I've come across. Later in the game they start wearing body armor which allows them to soak up most weapons fire.

He's referring to Metro 2033....? JC2 doesn't require that many shots..and there's no AK....

Metro2033 is great in many aspects but is frustrating because it lacks a quick save feature - it uses a retarded "checkpoint" feature as so many console games do; and due to its poor implementation you can end up replaying/repeating hours of gameplay (especially if you like to explore).

I had enough and uninstalled in the middle of the game, will re-install it sometime in the future when someone mods or hacks a quick save feature into the game. So lame that a potentially great game fails so hard due to the lack of one feature, which should have been supported without a doubt for its gametype/genre.

Gonna have to disagree there big time. The save system was fine. Albeit perfect in my mind. I'm tired of these "save every 2 seconds" type systems. I liked it back in the day when you would died and have to restart. It added something, added a challenge. You had to be careful, plan your moves more.

I guess it's okay if you like being able to save every 2 seconds before you die so you don't have any consequences what so ever.

Gonna have to disagree there big time. The save system was fine.
Sure its fine if you don't like to explore and don't go 'off the beaten path'. However, there are many players who DO like to explore and who like to check out as many areas of the game as possible; and most 'off the beaten path' areas contain NO checkpoints so you can end up having to replay entire sections of gameplay if you happen to die or get stuck etc.

I replayed hours of the game before uninstalling it in frustration - this isn't the mid 90's anymore - gamers don't have the time to replay the same section of a map for hours and hours repetively because there isn't any kind of quick save feature, especially in a genre/platform (single player FPS on PC) which practically demands it.

If you don't mind no quick save then that's great - but I'm sure there's many others who do - a quick search results in tons of people asking for a quick save mod for the game.

Gonna have to disagree there big time. The save system was fine. Albeit perfect in my mind. I'm tired of these "save every 2 seconds" type systems. I liked it back in the day when you would died and have to restart. It added something, added a challenge. You had to be careful, plan your moves more.

I guess it's okay if you like being able to save every 2 seconds before you die so you don't have any consequences what so ever.

I guess he went off on a tangent and had to redo an hour's worth... personally I was never set back more than 5 minutes with the Metro 2033 save system.

criccio, can you elaborate on your post a bit more? What is disappointing about the game in your opinion? In the Metro 2033 thread everyone was talking about how awesome & scary it was, but I've noticed that many game threads tend to be full of awesomeness and hype when a game is first released and then people start noticing the flaws after a while...

It just doesn't feel complete to me. I don't like FPS's where there is massive ammounts of lag from when I move the mouse to when the reticule moves. Makes shooting things and being precises about it very frustrating. I know its not my system because COD4/MW2/CSS have zero noticeable lag. Granted they have lower system requirements but I put Metro 2033 on the lowest possible settings and its the same way. A few other games are like this as well, ARMAII for example. I've come to the conclusion that its just the way the engine works.

Sure its fine if you don't like to explore and don't go 'off the beaten path'. However, there are many players who DO like to explore and who like to check out as many areas of the game as possible; and most 'off the beaten path' areas contain NO checkpoints so you can end up having to replay entire sections of gameplay if you happen to die or get stuck etc.

I replayed hours of the game before uninstalling it in frustration - this isn't the mid 90's anymore - gamers don't have the time to replay the same section of a map for hours and hours repetively because there isn't any kind of quick save feature, especially in a genre/platform (single player FPS on PC) which practically demands it.

If you don't mind no quick save then that's great - but I'm sure there's many others who do - a quick search results in tons of people asking for a quick save mod for the game.

I'm sorry but I explored a bit as well and again, it never negatively affected when I died, or respawned. I just fail to see how you wasted hours exploring when there wasn't that much to explore to being with. It wasn't the design of the game. There was stuff here and there, but in reality there wasn't much other than the path they set you on.

It just doesn't feel complete to me. I don't like FPS's where there is massive ammounts of lag from when I move the mouse to when the reticule moves. Makes shooting things and being precises about it very frustrating. I know its not my system because COD4/MW2/CSS have zero noticeable lag. Granted they have lower system requirements but I put Metro 2033 on the lowest possible settings and its the same way. A few other games are like this as well, ARMAII for example. I've come to the conclusion that its just the way the engine works.

So the game doesn't feel complete because of some aiming issue you have with your own setup's lag?

Just loaded up the game to test this and there's no lag whatsoever for me.

I'm sorry but I explored a bit as well and again, it never negatively affected when I died, or respawned. I just fail to see how you wasted hours exploring when there wasn't that much to explore to being with. It wasn't the design of the game. There was stuff here and there, but in reality there wasn't much other than the path they set you on.

Yea I'm starting to wonder where the mystical hours of exploration came from. I'm not sure you could wander more than 50 yards off the 'beaten path'.

Having spent several hours playing metro2033, I don't recommend it. It isn't really scary, isn't that fun, brings nothing new to the table (other than DX11 features), and has a doom3 style flashlight system. You have a hand-operated generator that you have to keep pumping periodically otherwise your flashlight runs out of batteries. Nevermind once you can get the nightvision/stealth outfit. Your visibility gets cut in half (edges around goggles are blacked out). I appreciate the idea of the crappy bullets/guns for the story but when I'm shooting a guy 30 feet away with an AK and he gets hit 1 out of 4 times using single shots... well... frustration ensues. Game is more frustrating than fun IMHO.

Did I mention the fact where the AI has godly accuracy even though they have equally crappy guns/bullets? This is on normal, I'd hate to see what is like on hard. Never mind the looting system for bullets in the game, oh god. Just a bad game overall with eye candy.

Metro 2033 is a great first-ride game but there is practically no replay value and it's a 6-8 hour trip. Just Cause 2 will keep you going for a lot longer, especially if you decide to 100% it.

If you own or have access to a console, Metro 2033 is definitely worth a rental.

Yea I'm starting to wonder where the mystical hours of exploration came from.
If you play the levels using stealth, it adds a lot of time to the level (waiting in the dark for enemies to move etc). Watch some of the walkthroughs on youtube - the guys that play the game using stealth gameplay is HOURS longer than the guys who just blast their way through).

Secondly, sure it might only take 10-15 mins to explore an area - but when you don't trigger a checkpoint because you are off the beaten path, dying means you need to do it again. And possible again. So what was now a 15 min exploration is now 45 mins - and even more if you are using stealth.

The time adds up, not everyone runs and guns and blasts there way through games - some people like to take in the atmosphere and immerse themselves in the game - meaning they may complete it at a slower pace than others. It does not in any way mean they are a hit-quicksave-every-10-seconds-freak.

And finally I shouldn't have to be defending the argument that game developers should not remove options from games. Because frankly that's fucking retarded. If you don't like quick save don't use it - and leave it for others who do.

Edit: For the record I don't regret the purchase because the game doubles as a benchmark for new video cards.

I would play Metro 2033 personally because it is one of the few pure FPS games I have played in a long time and it really pulls you into it's atmosphere and world.

Just Cause is a nice sandbox game, but I don't want to play it because it's a 3rd person game with console aiming.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm going to install both and alternate.

Back