Metro 2033 is over hyped.

Metro 2033 has a terribly small FOV and completely fucked up mouse controls. I'm surprised how many people not only tolerate this shit but actually praise it.

Metro 2033 has a terribly small FOV and completely fucked up mouse controls. I'm surprised how many people not only tolerate this shit but actually praise it.

FOV is one of the most overblown and goofy complaints I've ever seen. Ok, there are cases when it can do things like cause motion sickness, and in those cases, I would agree. However, I didn't feel 2033 was problematic in any way. If that's the worst negative you can come up with for it, it's doing pretty good. It's been several years since I played it, but can't specifically remember having mouse issues either. I play a lot of id and Epic shooters, and generally like tight mouse response from my shooters. Maybe I overlooked it, but I doubt it. I'd have to play it again to know for sure though. I don't remember any debilitating issues with the game though.

If the was FOV fixable within a ini file (it was) then there isn't that much to complain about. No idea what problems you had with the mouse controls....

There was nothing wrong with the FOV.
Most of the time you're in a tunnel, and when you go outside you have to wear a gas mask.

I had no problems with any of the controls.

Compared to the games released this year, Metro was nearly perfect at release.:D

I'm guessing it used vertical FOV, which probably worked fine on widescreen but on my 4:3 screen just felt too narrow.

Mouse acceleration was just 100% console. Other than that, it was fine from a controls standpoint. Every game has its weird part.

Mouse acceleration was just 100% console. Other than that, it was fine from a controls standpoint. Every game has its weird part.

The X and Y sensitivity isn't 1:1 and the in-game sensitivity settings don't go nearly low enough.

If you didn't notice that you either didn't play the same version of the game I did or you're fucking terrible with a mouse.

Loved the Metro games and even have the redux versions. There aren't too many cutscenes (only in the beginning of Metro 2033 but then they die down). The game is a survival shooter so not really a run and gun type of game. You can try the Metro Last Light mode on Metro 2033 to allow for a more run and gun type gameplay.

The shooting in the game is excellent. The weaponry is different and the atmosphere is absolutely fantastic. Especially when you play the games in 3D is where you have the fun. Turn down the lights, turn up the volume, get your 3D glasses on and start shooting.

Can't believe so many people did not like it.

The X and Y sensitivity isn't 1:1 and the in-game sensitivity settings don't go nearly low enough.

If you didn't notice that you either didn't play the same version of the game I did or you're fucking terrible with a mouse.

Or I'm just so damned good with a mouse that it didn't matter either way. :p

Mostly kidding, but to quote De Niro: "I don't know, you give me the tools, I do the job."

It wasn't broken, or I would have noticed. If it was off just a bit, I probably just adapted and got on with my life. Instead of bitching about a small issue, I enjoyed the greater portion of the experience which was fun. For Me... If you absolutely can't play a game because the sensitivity settings aren't spot on for you, then... ok. hate all you want. All I'm saying is that I didn't notice it enough for it to ruin an otherwise decent game.

My main complaint about Metro 2033: The gas mask filters. Maybe I missed it, but there wasn't one point in the game where it was explained to you that filters wear out and need to be replaced (which is an absolutely crucial detail). All I know is that if I took my mask off and put it back on, the timer would magically re-fill. I guess it was swapping the filter out when I did that? I still don't know.

But eventually my filters ran out and THERE WAS NO WAY TO CONTINUE WITHOUT RESTARTING THE WHOLE GOD DAMN CHAPTER. Absolutely terrible game design. In fact, I stopped playing for this very reason. I'm so close to completion but my filters ran out and there were absolutely no spares to be found anywhere. I even tried scouring the internet for god mode cheats to get around it but nothing I tried worked. So stupid...

IIRC they did explain that, or maybe I just picked it up from defining my controls or something. However, I do agree. There were some really bad decisions on item placement or drops. I still managed to do fine, and enjoyed the game, but I remember having to play a few areas several times just due to the luck of ammo supplies. On the other hand, it made me try several strategies in order to get enough ammo to proceed through the section. One of those areas was where you come out of a tunnel into a large cavern with a lot of platforms and scaffold stairs. There are a bunch of enemies lining the sides of the cave, and some parked trains. (I think.) I was so low on ammo when I'd start in the tunnel, that I'd have to try and kill a few people with a knife, take their supplies, but then try to calm things down again, so they didn't overwhelm me again with my meager supplies. Probably took me 15 tries to get through there. I was determined not to go back to a previous area though.

Or I'm just so damned good with a mouse that it didn't matter either way. :p

Mostly kidding, but to quote De Niro: "I don't know, you give me the tools, I do the job."

It wasn't broken, or I would have noticed. If it was off just a bit, I probably just adapted and got on with my life. Instead of bitching about a small issue, I enjoyed the greater portion of the experience which was fun. For Me... If you absolutely can't play a game because the sensitivity settings aren't spot on for you, then... ok. hate all you want. All I'm saying is that I didn't notice it enough for it to ruin an otherwise decent game.

The way you control the game isn't a small issue to me. I'm a [H]ardcore competitive gamer not some filthy casual. I adjust the settings so the mouse controls exactly the same in every game even if it is just a single player game. If you force yourself to get used to the fucked up controls in one game as soon as you play another game you will have to readjust. Your aim will be off and you've wasted all of that muscle memory instead of building up useful muscle memory.

The way you control the game isn't a small issue to me. I'm a [H]ardcore competitive gamer not some filthy casual. I adjust the settings so the mouse controls exactly the same in every game even if it is just a single player game. If you force yourself to get used to the fucked up controls in one game as soon as you play another game you will have to readjust. Your aim will be off and you've wasted all of that muscle memory instead of building up useful muscle memory.

Wow, you're super-1337. :rolleyes:

Metro isn't even remotely a competitive game. To compare it to something that is is just silly. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not trying to change your mind. There are little things that bother me sometimes in other hobbies of mine, so I get it. In a single player game that's mostly about the story though, I fail to see how muscle memory and twitch skills really come into the equation. I love my id games and like tight low latency controls as much as the next similar player, but that wouldn't even enter my mind for a game like Metro. It's all about the context. Bioshock Infinite had sloppy controls in my opinion, but I still enjoyed that too. Because it was a good game. Sure I complained a little, but it didn't absolutely ruin an otherwise decent game for me.

You can think how you like, I've just got a few things to disagree with you on. Also, your borderline elitist attitude is kinda shitty and makes me think less of you overall. You disagreeing with me is just good conversation.

Huh. I recently bought the redux versions on the steam sale, played them both. I liked the 2033. It told a story, and the stealth bits were great. LOVED those parts, I hardly killed anyone, knocked them all out.

Last Light was even better. I got my Thief fix since everyone said the new theif sucked, last light was awesome in that regard.
God I miss theif games... might have to redo Dishonored. I just purchased the DLC for it so going to have to use that as the excuse. :)

Edit: It just occured to me some folks aren't playing this as intended. I don't think it was meant to be a shooter, and if you play it like one yeah you're going to be dissapointed no doubt. To me this is a story game more akin to telltale series with shooter elements. Except even the shooter element is slow and deliberate. You have to have a visualization of your current area before you take any action. Even if you want to shoot your way through, you still need to know where the enemies will be coming from.

It isn't a shooter really, and IMO you can't play it like that.

Last edited:
I just reinstalled Dishonored to play through it again too. Must be the right time of year for it!

Wow, you're super-1337. :rolleyes:

Metro isn't even remotely a competitive game. To compare it to something that is is just silly. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not trying to change your mind. There are little things that bother me sometimes in other hobbies of mine, so I get it. In a single player game that's mostly about the story though, I fail to see how muscle memory and twitch skills really come into the equation. I love my id games and like tight low latency controls as much as the next similar player, but that wouldn't even enter my mind for a game like Metro. It's all about the context. Bioshock Infinite had sloppy controls in my opinion, but I still enjoyed that too. Because it was a good game. Sure I complained a little, but it didn't absolutely ruin an otherwise decent game for me.

You can think how you like, I've just got a few things to disagree with you on. Also, your borderline elitist attitude is kinda shitty and makes me think less of you overall. You disagreeing with me is just good conversation.

You're disregarding the main point I made that it messes your aim up for other games. I'm a hardcore competitive gamer. I enjoy the occasional casual single player game, but I'm not going to let negatively affect the games I enjoy the most.

It is totally fine if you're okay with that, but there is no way in hell I am okay with it and I'm not going to let someone tell me I should be okay with it.

The elitest attitude you are feeling is the same feeling I get from you telling me I should be okay with bad mouse controls. I'm not trying to be offensive. I'm trying to give you some valuable insight and potentially help you out. You are probably trying to do this too but I'm just more hardcore about mouse controls. If you aren't that hardcore and don't care about it that is fine, but don't be offended by someone being hardcore on Hardforum.

Except that most games are so wildly different - size of models, environment, style of weapon, even similar styles of weapon "handle" differently in different games - that I see no similarity between the majority of them that would keep your aim for a different game. Call it hardcore, that's fine, but I think it's a fallacious premise.

Except that most games are so wildly different - size of models, environment, style of weapon, even similar styles of weapon "handle" differently in different games - that I see no similarity between the majority of them that would keep your aim for a different game. Call it hardcore, that's fine, but I think it's a fallacious premise.

With the proper settings in the majority of games you can get the mouse controls to work exactly the same. Turn off mouse acceleration, smoothing, and enable direct input and all you really need to do is adjust the in-game sensitivity or mouse DPI. It is extremely easy for Source and Unreal Engine games.

With games like Battlefield where different weapons and vehicles have different sensitivities it is a lot harder to do, but most games don't do this.

If you're interested in trying it out check out this site. http://www.mouse-sensitivity.com

I get that, and that's a pretty standard set of steps most gamers will take. That being said though, mouse controls are only part of aim. How to aim, where to aim, changes with each game, so even though it feels the same, you need to aim differently in every game - a HS in BF4 is entirely different than in CS, etc.

If your argument that the small margin of difference playing different games will do to your aim in another, I don't see games as analogous enough to one another, even with the mouse sensitivity feeling the same.

You're disregarding the main point I made that it messes your aim up for other games.
In my opinion that's a bit of a stretch there. Playing solo games with mediocre mouse controls such as Metro will not mess up your aim in other competitive games.

In my opinion that's a bit of a stretch there. Playing solo games with mediocre mouse controls such as Metro will not mess up your aim in other competitive games.

Well I can't force you to do an experiment to find out if it does to you.

But I have done tests myself and know it does.

You have to have good aim and mouse settings to notice it. The vast majority of people don't.

I don't think they will either. I took MANY years of classical piano lessons as another example, and muscle memory is absolutely imperative for learning big pieces. Mucking about doing my own thing in my spare time had absolutely no effect on my muscle memory for playing the pieces I was learning. If anything the breaking up of the repetitive task probably HELPED.

I seriously doubt playing Metro is going to have any adverse effect on playing something else.

Also, @sharkbait I seem to recall telling you you could hate it all you want, and I wasn't trying to change your mind on it, but that I just disagreed with you. I don't see anything at all elitist in my posts. Just disagreements. You're the one that came off thinking you're a badass professional who couldn't play like those "filthy casuals". :rolleyes:

The vast majority of people don't.

The vast majority of people in general? Maybe. The vast majority of people posting in a thread about shooters 99% of the world knows nothing about on a gaming enthusiast site? Doubtful.

The vast majority of people in general? Maybe. The vast majority of people posting in a thread about shooters 99% of the world knows nothing about on a gaming enthusiast site? Doubtful.

I'm pretty sure even the majority of people in this thread have shit mouse settings and would be significantly better at aiming if they didn't. Of course these terms are relative, what you consider good I probably still consider shit. I'm pretty elitist, but if you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest. ;)

I seriously doubt playing Metro is going to have any adverse effect on playing something else.
Yes, totally... For the 2 years following the play-through of this clunky game my sex life really plummeted. THANKS METRO!!!

As with STALKER, atmosphere is there but gameplay is seriously lacking. Movement is terrible.

I wish this guys could improve they way flying wild hog did. Now those guys are something else.

Last edited:
Yes, totally... For the 2 years following the play-through of this clunky game my sex life really plummeted. THANKS METRO!!!

But now you're a better dresser right?

Well I can't force you to do an experiment to find out if it does to you.

But I have done tests myself and know it does.

You have to have good aim and mouse settings to notice it. The vast majority of people don't.
My aim is decent and my settings are fine. If anything, the way I play Quake Live has affected the way I approach other games, not the other way around.

As with STALKER, atmosphere is there but gameplay is seriously lacking. Movement is terrible.

I wish this guys could improve they way flying wild hog did. Now those guys are something else.

Never had any problem with movement in any of the STALKER games. If anything,it made me better at other games because they didn't require the kind of precision shooting needed in STALKER,where head shots are a must.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I love both Metro games (I have the originals, non-redux). I love the story and the gameplay. And I've never been out of bullets (although close at times if I wasn't being careful).

I also hate the stalker games. Tried repeatedly to like them and I just cant.

I'm going to give Alien Isolation a go. That looks like it doesn't hold your hand as much.
I can't comment on Metro, as I haven't played it (nor LL), but if you're even a casual Alien fan, run, don't walk, and get A:I. There is very little in the way of hand-holding. Unfortunately, there are quite a few QT events (mostly as it relates to doors and generators), but it doesn't really get in the way of the core gameplay (which is coronary-inducing).

The other niggle you might not appreciate are the hacking mini-games, which are very easy, even on nightmare mode. Still, they provide welcome breaks between all the sneaking and hiding and gets your heart racing since the xeno can impale you while you're attempting to hack various systems.

It is (or was) on sale for twenty-something dollars. I purchased it and the season pass when it was $60 and don't regret it one iota.

(Back to Metro discussion.)

I also hate the stalker games. Tried repeatedly to like them and I just cant.
Blasphemy!

J/k. DSfDF. I'm currently replaying Call of Pripyat with the 2.1.1 Misery mod and am having a grand time. There's nothing quite like having bullets whiz past you and not having a clue as to where the gunners might be. Or when you're just admiring the tundra when you're suddenly side-swiped by a bloodsucker. Or the creeptastic image of watching izloms slouch towards you. Or having your mind quickly fried by an unseen, darting poltergeist. Or watching a snork clamber on all fours and suddenly jumping on you while leaving deep gashes. Or being continuously stalked and almost eaten by a chimera. Or trying to desperately run towards cover when an emission starts while being crushed by your inventory. Or getting electrocuted/gassed/immolated/irradiated while trying to pin down an elusive artifact. Or...well, you get the idea.

Stalker is second to none.

But wasn't metro considered a stalker successor? Taco never played stalker series. Re: certain unclear clarifications, there was another instance where it wasn't explained what to do. Remember the door entering library? You had to shoot chandelier dwn, so it smashes the door open. Taco guess they didn't explain it because it was shown in the trailer and they assumed everyone saw the trailer(I cnt find it, was I imagining I saw it somewhere?)

About the masks, taco guess let's nt forget, it is radiation nd even when Chernobyl happn, they couldn't use robotic vision because glass was fogging up on lenses of robots from high radiation, so it's somewhat obvious that filters will nt be able to last very long. Nt sure...

After reading through this thread, no idea there was so much negativity re: the game wow. Legit!

Re: hype, nt sure, taco saw art on her gtx460 box when she got hers, hut didn't give much attention to it back thn. Hmm....
Your necro bump powers are impressive, Taco!

No please I am sorry, it's just taco wants to revisit the metro nd didnt want to start anything mew since theres a good conversation already happning.
Am sorry. Anytime I want to play something, nt sure, but I read lots of reviews to see other people's opinions nd visit different threads, nt sure, but I like seeing different perspectives.

It seems maybe people had problems with original nd redux fixed many problems? Also I haven't remembered too many cut scenes or quicktime intrusions. Everything felt according to project work, nothing of excess! I liked it!

I hated the original, as it didn't feel like much if a game.

Also detest ultra-realistic shooters where you are forced to manage gas mask lifetime + deal with the obstructions of wearing one (this covers , the entire series of games)!]

Metro: for bored multitaskers only

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the Metro series. I love the setting and how well the artists designed the game and the attention to detail they put into it. The gameplay was pretty good across all games as well IMO. Although I love the story in general, I wish the supporting characters in the games had a bit more depth to them, which I think they improved on a lot for Exodus. I'm pretty conservative with my resources and ammo in games to begin with, so I never had any issues with the bullet currency system in the first game (which I think they removed in the redux version) and I kinda liked the gas mask system as well from an immersion standpoint as long as they give you enough to play and explore adequately (which they do if you look around enough for canisters).

"omg the graphics are so good, so much detail packed in"

Yeah, when your field of view is 1/8th that of a normal game they can pack in 8 times the detail. Console games have been doing this for generations and Metro took it to the extreme. Looks good in screen shots, feels terrible when you're playing, but at that point they already sold the game.

I guess if you enjoy it good for you.

Back