Method to stream HDMI signal

dhodson66

Weaksauce
i have directv with several directv boxes in the house. Still I have a few rooms where I’d like to have directv reception but aren’t used regularly such as spare bedroom and gym. Is there a device that I can connect the hdmi out from a directv box that will then allow me to “sling” the signal over my network to other TVs or is it just too much hassle and I should pay rent for other directv boxes even though they would rarely get used.

Capture it, encode it and broadcast it via multicast transport stream over your network. Then use anything that can run VLC to display it on whatever TV or monitor you want.

You're not going to be capture HDCP content (ie what a STB will output) via either of those capture cards. They're only useful when you're capturing straight from a camera or the likes, so neither will work in the proposed way (at least without stripping HDCP, but that's probably a little beyond this forum). You would need dedicated hardware next to all your other TVs to view things and it's not the cheapest. Something like this would work: http://www.gefen.com/products/all/video-over-ip/hdmi

Back