Metallica Shapes Live Performances Around Most Popular Tracks on Spotify

Worst rock show I may have ever seen. I saw it with a number of friends who are fans enough to even like some of their newer garbage and they all agreed it was horribly managed and performed. When was the last time you saw them? Sorry should state that was August 2016 for the kickoff concert to the 1billion stadium in Minneapolis.
Baltimore Ravens stadium last year and it was awesome. Time before that was in 2000 and was awesome also.

Baltimore Ravens stadium last year and it was awesome. Time before that was in 2000 and was awesome also.

I was at the Ravens Stadium 2000 July 4th concert as well. Epic fireworks afterwards.

Here is the setlist.

1. Creeping Death

2. For Whom the Bell Tolls

3. Seek & Destroy

4. Fade to Black

5. Fuel

6. The Memory Remains

7. Sad but True

8. No Leaf Clover

9. King Nothing
    (w/ The Outlaw Torn jam)

10. Wherever I May Roam

11. Mastertarium

12. Battery

13. Nothing Else Matters

14. I Disappear

15. One

16. Turn the Page
    (Bob Seger cover)

17. Enter Sandman

18. Last Caress
    (Misfits cover) (preceded by The Star-Spangled Banner jam)

19. So What
    (Anti-Nowhere League cover) (Half Version)

20. Die, Die My Darling
    (Misfits cover)

Which just shows, how a large group of morons can be happy with mediocre music. I just chose to listen to non-commercialized crap, which apparently makes me a minority. So you have joined a crowd of oblivious lemmings...yay...And just to add, Ulrich couldn't keep time with a fucking clock......

Wow, numerous posts ttelling me what's good, what isn't, and what to like or I'm a moron. Pro tip: if you don't like it, no one is making you listen to Metallica. Jesus, what a bunch of self-important a-holes.

Regards,
Metallica-listener in 2018 (aka Moron)

No. They aren't. Sorry. See above.

And edit: Anything past the Black Album is pure commercial garbage as well so they haven't been rocking in decades.

Lol, whatever, Load was a masterpiece of an Album. There new on isn't terrible but it lacks soul.

Lol, whatever, Load was a masterpiece of an Album. There new on isn't terrible but it lacks soul.
All about preference my man. I personally despise load and mark "memory remains" as the moment they began to be something I dont like or sound anything like they had but commercial.

I did play a lot and have an odd taste in music from classical (my true love) to things that would probably make you cringe if you like load... it's a never ending argument and my typical strategy is to show an alternative that has probably never been heard to find common ground and show some of the indie bands busting their butts like Metallica was during their heyday.

Edit now that I'm on a PC: And if you enjoy Load - check out this EP, it's a bit less "Metal" but much more musical

^That is by far the most tuned down song on the EP. This is a 14 minute song that incorporates basically every element of writing quality music throughout history and is quite a bit heavier. It's the European Metal stuff so that turns off a lot of people people but it's pretty dang good.

Last edited:
They "were" great. Now it's the senior citizens tour and they sound nothing like the good old days. OT: I think this is a great idea. Several concerts I've been to recently they poll on social media to see what everyone wants to hear before they play and make it their set list. Everyone wins!

Show me a single band that didn't evolve and sound exactly like they started and I'll show you a band that has been irrelevant for years and at best are doing "tours" to smaller and smaller crowds playing the same set of songs. All bands evolve, just because you don't personally care for the direction one took doesn't really mean dick. I haven't liked everything they have done in recent years but saying they aren't still good is just a laughably absurd statement.

I don't like the Black Album. But understand why some would. I probably could have stated that the Black Album was the start of their downfall instead the last good album... But I don't feel that it is terrible music like nearly everything that followed.

I liked it more than Justice, but it turned out that the boys were so bitter after Cliff's death that they basically muted Jason's bass so the album came across really flat.

When I saw them live, in a bar, those songs kicked so much ass.

The only album I've really hated of theirs was St. Anger, that thing was utter audio garbage. Who the fuck decided the snare needed to sound like a RubberMade tub? Indifference has been more of my response since Black, there are a couple of songs on Load and Reload I loved, I haven't heard their latest at all though.

I got old, though, I listen to old people music now.

When I saw them live, in a bar, those songs kicked so much ass.
That's amazing you got an opportunity for that. I posted this and had to edit it to add amazing instead of awesome. What a great experience!

I'm getting old too but still made sure I saw GnR in the tour a couple times! But like I stated above I listen to more classical then anything else, but threads like these fire up a bit of need to put on some quality metal ;)

Edit to the edit - I just did see At the Drive In at a "dive bar" type venue with the entire band except Jim Ward's heroin junky ass. Was fantastic. Standing room only.

Last edited:
Metallica = 2nd most overrated band of all time. U2 holds the crown.

Except Metallica sounds good and Bono is a number 2. As in a posing poop that always wears sunglasses because he thinks it makes him cool and less poop-like. Tell me, where exactly is it that the 'streets have no name'? no place I've ever been. bullshit lyrics

I've had tickets for three months for Metallica's February show. :LOL:

That's awesome you get an opportunity for that.

I'm getting old too but still made sure I saw GnR in the tour a couple times! But yeah like I stated above I listen to more classical then anything else, but threads like these fire up a bit of need to put on some quality metal ;)

I was at the show in Montreal where Hetfield set himself on fire and Axl Rose had a tantrum and refused to do their set.

I saw them in a bar in Toronto from a contest a local radio station ran. Best show I've ever been to, when they hand ear plugs out at the door you're there for a rock show.

Except Metallica sounds good and Bono is a number 2. As in a posing poop that always wears sunglasses because he thinks it makes him cool and less poop-like. Tell me, where exactly is it that the 'streets have no name'? no place I've ever been. bullshit lyrics

I've had tickets for three months for Metallica's February show. :LOL:

The streets have no name in New York, the song is about New York.

U2 Has at least one song for just about everyone, that's what made them legends. I seriously will not go to any concert to listen to an hour of some spoiled, rich ass hole's politics though. Shut the fuck up, Bono. Just, shut up.

Edit: That and Bono's singing is just caterwauling.

Last edited:
I was at the show in Montreal where Hetfield set himself on fire and Axl Rose had a tantrum and refused to do their set.

I saw them in a bar in Toronto from a contest a local radio station ran. Best show I've ever been to, when they hand ear plugs out at the door you're there for a rock show.

The streets have no name in New York, the song is about New York.

U2 Has at least one song for just about everyone, that's what made them legends. Though, I seriously will not go to any concert to listen to an hour of some spoiled, rich ass hole's politics though. Shut the fuck up, Bono. Just, shut up.
WTF-
https://goo.gl/images/SjNMG7
With or Wtihout You and Stuck in a Moment are both amazing songs. Bono is a complete idiot and needs to shut up, but that doesn't make his music making ability poorer.

And the fact you were at that show I'm incredibly jealous. That is legend. BTW both times I saw GnR on the tour Axl was on time. Heard he was an hour or more late on the first show in Vegas, but was due to breaking his ankle doing a guerrilla show in LA 2 days before (which I can respect). They also played for 2.5 hours and were near perfect both times - the show here in Minneapolis I skipped (honestly cause Metallica was so bad and I blamed USBank stadium) they played for well over 3 hours and was told by my brother who went to both the other was by far the best. They finally played Patience and I missed it :(

Last edited:
Worst rock show I may have ever seen. I saw it with a number of friends who are fans enough to even like some of their newer garbage and they all agreed it was horribly managed and performed. When was the last time you saw them? Sorry should state that was August 2016 for the kickoff concert to the 1billion stadium in Minneapolis.

I guess that makes you and your friends retards for paying for something you don't like and knew you wouldn't like going into it...congrats on funding a band you don't like?

Metallic's best performance was kicking Dave out so we could have Megadeth.

Metallica only has 1 real album and 2 decent fallow up albums. Kill'em All is perfection with Ride the Lightening & Master of Puppets a decent follow up. After Cliff died the band wasn't really Metallica anymore.

Rattle your goddamned head.

I guess that makes you and your friends retards for paying for something you don't like and knew you wouldn't like going into it...congrats on funding a band you don't like?
Hrmmm? I love Metallica. Read my posts. They just performed poorly. Absolutely garbage. Sickening really how bad it was. Not sure how that makes me a retard other than some dude on the internet thinks Metallica is so great they are infallible and they could never put on one of the worst shows in history. You can look it up - they blamed the stadium, meanwhile they stated that they wanted to do the loudest show in history without having any sound engineer come in prior. But METALLICA right?

All about preference my man. I personally despise load and mark "memory remains" as the moment they began to be something I dont like or sound anything like they had but commercial.

Memory Remains is terrible, I agree. But it was also on Re Load which was basically the B side of Load.

Hrmmm? I love Metallica. Read my posts. They just performed poorly. Absolutely garbage. Sickening really how bad it was. Not sure how that makes me a retard other than some dude on the internet thinks Metallica is so great they are infallible and they could never put on one of the worst shows in history. You can look it up - they blamed the stadium, meanwhile they stated that they wanted to do the loudest show in history without having any sound engineer come in prior. But METALLICA right?

Nah no hostility I listen to everything from The Four Horsemen to Unforgiven 3 every day...I just think they made the right decisions to make themselves a successful relevant band from the late 80's to current. That's 30+ years man. It's just hilarious seeing the argument pop up in different places from people who have the ohh I wish things stayed the same mentality even when it probably wouldn't have sustained them. If they were horrible they would've been dead and long gone after Re-Load but they're obviously doing something right the past 20 years. If I was them I wouldn't have done it any different.

Nah no hostility I listen to everything from The Four Horsemen to Unforgiven 3 every day...I just think they made the right decisions to make themselves a successful relevant band from the late 80's to current. That's 30+ years man. It's just hilarious seeing the argument pop up in different places from people who have the ohh I wish things stayed the same mentality even when it probably wouldn't have sustained them. If they were horrible they would've been dead and long gone after Re-Load but they're obviously doing something right the past 20 years. If I was them I wouldn't have done it any different.
When did I argue that they aren't successful? Success is not equal to good music. It makes it a good business decision. Nearly everytime that fucks the consumer. Honestly as stated before "it's your opinion man" as the Dude would say. Guessing you wouldn't have liked any of the metal I played in my younger years (although we almost won the local rock station battle of the bands - 2nd place for that 10k and studio session dammit).

This is the song that beat us - It's alright, but ya know (far too many bass drops, cmon):

Sorry it was actually this:

You know what they say about opinions, they are like assholes, everyone has one.

When people start stating their opinion like it is fact and anyone who doesn't agree is wrong it just comes off like being a douchebag.

I've seen Metallica play everywhere from small venues where they were an opening act to headlining sold-out arenas, with every different bass player. I haven't loved every album, and have seen a bad show a time or two. I'm glad Metallica hasn't just put out the same album over and over again. Few missteps along the way sure (load, reload and st. anger IMO), but overall I'm still a fan. People like what they like, just because you don't agree doesn't make them wrong, stupid, uninformed etc. Get over yourself.

When did I argue that they aren't successful? Success is not equal to good music. It makes it a good business decision. Nearly everytime that fucks the consumer. Honestly as stated before "it's your opinion man" as the Dude would say. Guessing you wouldn't have liked any of the metal I played in my younger years (although we almost won the local rock station battle of the bands - 2nd place for that 10k and studio session dammit).

Fucks the consumer? LOL...dude they didn't victimize anyone from changing their style.

Nope probably not, Metallica's really the only thrash metal band I grew up on ....maybe a couple of Megadeth songs like trust and almost honest and a song or 2 from Anthrax, everything else totally 90's grunge and everyone from Woodstock'99.

I love when I see lots of people saying stupid stuff like this. What makes any product at all successful? When MANY people like it and are willing to pay for it, not just a small minority, of course you might say that they're sellouts but they're laughing all the way to the bank because their teams of managers, producers, marketers etc. told them that evolving their music would be a good idea for their continued success to reach a broader audience.

Sorry you find my opinion stupid, I just state the facts sir. Did they make a fortune.. yep.. do they suck ... yep I have seen them live 6 times and never once did they put on a good show. They are dried up asshats and I am happy that some people still love them...it's the American Dream.... MAGA

What makes any product successful? Well I guess by today's standards it equates to how many stupid people "like" your stupid product however success and talent are two very different things. Many talentles schmucks have made a successful fortune like the talentless K kardacian queen unless you consider monster tits a talent but that sex tape was boring.

From TheMadHatterXxX (sorry fucked up the quote function) Fucks the consumer? LOL...dude they didn't victimize anyone from changing their style.

Nope probably not, Metallica's really the only thrash metal band I grew up on ....maybe a couple of Megadeth songs like trust and almost honest and a song or 2 from Anthrax, everything else totally 90's grunge and everyone from Woodstock'99.

My Response: Music is a bit different than general business, but Metallica went from producing a quality product to producing pure garbage - similar to any other corporate organization when we sit in the board room and try to maximize profits. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't enjoy the music that you enjoy, but there are a great deal of people that think they "sold out" long ago. I hate that term, but... It doesn't mean you that you can't like them, but so many in this thread who are no longer fans aren't retards. Like I said "that's like your opinion man", but we've come to a point where civil discourse is basically nonsense even when discussing music. Awesome!

This is all that needs to be said as it is the truth. I grew up on Kill em All however once Cliff passed they sucked on albums and much worse live. New Kids on the Block put on a better stage show than metallica. This band has been the most dissappointing ever

Sorry you find my opinion stupid, I just state the facts sir. Did they make a fortune.. yep.. do they suck ... yep I have seen them live 6 times and never once did they put on a good show. They are dried up asshats and I am happy that some people still love them...it's the American Dream.... MAGA

What makes any product successful? Well I guess by today's standards it equates to how many stupid people "like" your stupid product however success and talent are two very different things. Many talentles schmucks have made a successful fortune like the talentless K kardacian queen unless you consider monster tits a talent but that sex tape was boring.

Ofcourse, but New Kids On the Block put on a great show right?

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Ofcourse, but New Kids On the Block put on a great show right?
I hate to say it. Yeah they did. Just like Timberlake and Swift does now. Not my cup of tea, but I can respect how much work and talent they put into it. I'm not sure if you ever played music, but it doesn't make you less of a person to enjoy genre's you might feel make you less of a man...

I hate to say it. Yeah they did. Just like Timberlake and Swift does now. Not my cup of tea, but I can respect how much work and talent they put into it. I'm not sure if you ever played music, but it doesn't make you less of a person to enjoy genre's you might feel make you less of a man...

You're right I guess I wouldn't know because spending money and 4 hours of time on something I know I wouldn't like going into it would be the retarded thing to do. I like how you reference something from a genre where most of the "talent" lip syncs or sings to a background track though.

TheMadHatterXxX This guy. How big does Metallica make you feel when you say you are the biggest fan? Does James call you and tell you that you are the biggest Metallica fan ever?! I've spent days partying with biggish metal bands that would would laugh at them and call them sell out pussies many times. Doesn't make me a bigger person. But how does criticizing a genre of music that has a different presentation make you a bigger person? Who cares man. I'm assuming you are not married because I've been dragged to plenty of shows that I thought I would hate because my wife wanted to see them (New Kids included). All have been at worst acceptable. Get to see Ed Shereen soon. Super excited /s. On the other hand she has partied with me with the likes of Darkest Hour and As Blood Runs Black over full weekends. Your high horse is weird. And by the way Donnie is still dreamy ;)

I grew up with Metallica up through the Black Album (before I even graduated HS). Saw them for the first time during their Death Magnetic tour. They sounded horrible live, IMO. Love their album music, though.

One of my favorite bands: Megadeth, same situation. Love their album music, but saw them live for the first time a couple of years ago, and we ended up leaving about halfway through their set. The sound staging was horrible...couldn't make out any lyrics and the guitar shreds sounded washed out. Their openers that night (Amon Amarth, Butcher Babies, Suicidal Tendencies, and Metal Church) rocked it the fuck out!

I liked everything they did from the eighties and nineties. From St. Anger on, not so much. James just didn't sound the same from then on.

TheMadHatterXxX This guy. How big does Metallica make you feel when you say you are the biggest fan? Does James call you and tell you that you are the biggest Metallica fan ever?! I've spent days partying with biggish metal bands that would would laugh at them and call them sell out pussies many times. Doesn't make me a bigger person. But how does criticizing a genre of music that has a different presentation make you a bigger person? Who cares man. I'm assuming you are not married because I've been dragged to plenty of shows that I thought I would hate because my wife wanted to see them (New Kids included). All have been at worst acceptable. Get to see Ed Shereen soon. Super excited /s. On the other hand she has partied with me with the likes of Darkest Hour and As Blood Runs Black over full weekends. Your high horse is weird. And by the way Donnie is still dreamy ;)

I may not agree with your opinion on Metallica, but this I do agree with. I can appreciate and respect performances with effort put into them regardless of what music it is.

I may not agree with your opinion on Metallica, but this I do agree with. I can appreciate and respect performances with effort put into them regardless of what music it is.
^exactly my point, probably communicated better.

I was never a huge fan of Metallica or the like back in the 80's, however, growing up during that time and being in CA this story rippled north of Hollywood almost instantly and is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Lars:

1982: Nikki Sixx Chases Lars Ulrich Down Santa Monica Blvd.

At the same time that glam is kicking into high gear on the Strip, bands like Metallica and Slayer are busy creating thrash metal in the same So-Cal environs. How well did the two factions get along? Not very, of course. “It was 1982 and Mötley Crüe had just put out Too Fast for Love,” Ulrich recalled. “One night out in front of the Troubadour we’re standing there in our Iron Maiden shorts and after a couple of, you know, cold Schlitz malt liquors, we saw Nikki and Tommy. And it was like, ‘Fuck Mötley Crüe!’ And I remember Nikki started chasing after me. And the one thing I could do, all five-foot-six of me, is I could run faster than he could in his 16-inch platform boots.”​

Second thing that comes to mind when I think of Lars: he's known to those "in the know" as "That Danish Knob".

Lastly for you Metallica fans if you have not heard this you should:

For all the haters of the new stuff...

Creepy video on this one:

I grew up with Metallica up through the Black Album (before I even graduated HS). Saw them for the first time during their Death Magnetic tour. They sounded horrible live, IMO. Love their album music, though.

One of my favorite bands: Megadeth, same situation. Love their album music, but saw them live for the first time a couple of years ago, and we ended up leaving about halfway through their set. The sound staging was horrible...couldn't make out any lyrics and the guitar shreds sounded washed out.
Metallica I have heard many times. They normally put on an awesome live performance. They played in Petco park and for the most part weren't their best, but did arguably their best version of the Unforgiven I have ever heard.

Saw Megadeth for first time in Pomona in like 2012. Great fans, but guitars were slow. Then I saw them in Ozzfest 2 years ago and they fucking shredded! Mustaine opened by saying "I have 45 minutes to cram as many songs in as I can in so I am just going to play these back to back." It was awesome.

up to and including "Metallica ...And Justice for All" - awesome. after.. hit and miss mostly. the song hooks seems to be gone. maybe i grew up? idk

Back