metallic dyes - how long can I use for?

jamsomito

2[H]4U
Hi y'all -

I meeting up with some friends, and I'm the only one with a water cooling setup. I wanted to "wow" everyone with a cool metallic dye in my loop. It hit me that I have some extended family coming over the week before also, and I got to thinking about how long I can use these dyes for before they start to gunk up my loop. I know they're usually designed for one or two day shows or something, not extended use.

How long am I safe using them for? Is even running them once going to mean a massive clean-out of my system? Looking to get some feedback from those who have experience with them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Plenty of people run dyes for extended periods, or am I thinking of something else ? .... I personally wouldnt and would use coloured tubing, but thats a preference

Yeah, I'm running distilled + silver coil right now. I've heard the advice for no dyes, colored tubing over and over again. I really don't want to mess up my parts, but I thought it would be fun for a limited time. I just don't know how long that time can be before I start to see issues... staining, clogging, etc.

The "dye" I'd like to use has particulates in it, which is why I'm asking first. I originally planned on using it for 2-3 days for the LAN, but if it's safe to use for a week or so, I'd like to keep it in to show it off a bit more. Any longer than that and it's just me and my wife to impress and while I might like it, she couldn't care less haha. So I was hoping to use it for a bit while there's people around, then drain it and go back to distilled.

I'd wait to see what someone with experience has to add, interested for the knowledge aspect

Well let's see, when I first bought my Koolance triple rad, it took about a week for the metallic flakes inside the rad to destroy my pump because I forgot to flush it, so I give you that. Takes regular dyes about 3 months to saturate the waterblock with gunk.

Aurora (especially the older Aurora 1) isn't meant to be used for extended periods. The pearlescent effect will fall out suspension in the coolant unless you're running a very simple loop with a high flow rate.

Aurora 2 is designed to last longer, but it will still have issues if you have lots of rad space, angle fittings and lower flow rate. If you're just planning on running it for a short period of time it's probably fine, but you will need to flush your loop after using it (may require a full breakdown of your loop and LOT of flushing to remove all the pearl, especially in your rads.) Aurora 2 is a new product, so there isn't enough concrete info on long term use.

Sorry, I could have listed my setup. I have:

phobya 150mm res
D5 vario
Alphacool nexxos 45x360 rad
Raystorm CPU block
5ft tubing
All straight barbs

Wow my phone autocorrect loved that list lol. So I would consider it a fairly simple setup, but borderline lots of rad space (though only one rad). I'll see if I can find a pic. FWIW, mayhems lists my pump and rad as compatible.

What's Aurora 2? I haven't seen any mention of that anywhere. Is that the chamelion stuff that's not out yet?

Also, would running it continuously (or as much as possible) help it stay in suspension?

Sounds to me like I should stick to the 2-3 day event and plan on a full teardown afterwards just to be safe. Pushing it a week may be doable but risky.

Last edited:
Here's my loop.
KmOeftpl.jpg

Aurora 2 is the new version of Aurora that has been formulated for better hardware compatibility and longevity. Most sites don't tell you which one you are purchasing, but Performance-pcs does http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_381_1071_1073&zenid=6bb220cbb40ffa8fab95efde8cc115cf

If you can't order from PPC's, contact your reseller and make sure the Aurora you are buying is the new version. If they say they don't know, don't buy it.

Your loop looks ideal for running this coolant. A single rad, no angle fittings, and overkill pump setup are really important for longevity. If you decide to use it, run your D5 at the highest setting and don't leave it turned off for extended periods. As you guessed, leaving it off accelerates the rate of the particles falling out of suspension.

If you're only planning on running it as a temporary solution you should be totally fine. People are just now starting long term testing of Aurora 2 so I can't tell you for sure how long it will last, but with your loop setup it certainly has the potential to last a long while.

Thanks. I think I'm going to go for it. I might try for 1 week and report the results, since there isn't much data on it yet. I am in a position where I can keep an eye on it every 4 hours for the entire time, and I'll just plan on a full tear-down afterwards (so I don't get upset when I have to do it anyway).

The only problem I see is that my get together is at the end of the week. If it clogs up mid-week, I might be without a computer :eek:. But such is life; we gamble every day, eh?

Last edited:
10-15% ethanol glycol mix with distilled. Left my loop alone for 2 years without issue(slight plasticizer issue with lowes .49 tubing)

I thought Aurora was supposed to last roughly 2 months or so in compatible systems? I'd suggest you read the Aurora WIKI first and ensure your system is compatible. For a start, avoid using XSPC reservoirs or Swifttech Apogee XT CPU blocks, else it'll only a few days before the pearl (i.e. the thing that swirls around and gives it it's great effects) in the coolant gets sucked out. WIKI: http://www.mayhems.co.uk/front/aurora-guide.html#.U_pHDMkn-xU

There are more dedicated Mayhem forums and threads that can help you for the details than this forum..

btw: Pastel is supposed to be pretty safe and will last a long time but doesn't have the same special effects as Aurora.

I thought Aurora was supposed to last roughly 2 months or so in compatible systems? I'd suggest you read the Aurora WIKI first and ensure your system is compatible. For a start, avoid using XSPC reservoirs or Swifttech Apogee XT CPU blocks, else it'll only a few days before the pearl (i.e. the thing that swirls around and gives it it's great effects) in the coolant gets sucked out. WIKI: http://www.mayhems.co.uk/front/aurora-guide.html#.U_pHDMkn-xU

There are more dedicated Mayhem forums and threads that can help you for the details than this forum..

btw: Pastel is supposed to be pretty safe and will last a long time but doesn't have the same special effects as Aurora.

Thanks. I did check my compatibility and my pump, res, and CPU block passed. My rad wasn't checked though, so far as I know.

Pastel is my backup option, but I'm a little worried about the special disposal of the stuff. It's just a turnoff for me.

Do you know of any forums that might have discussed Mayhems in detail? The only other big forum I know of is OCN.

This is a good thread. I saw some systems running Aurora, not sure if it was 1 or 2. It looked awesome but I'm not sure how the cooling properties were of this stuff.

I was curious what was the longest someone ran with this stuff in their loop. I would imagine 1-2 months max.

So I've got till the end of Sept, which gives me a bit of time.

I've been researching a bunch and it looks like you need to really, thoroughly clean your system after using the Aurora 2 fluid. You can flush out the color, but the pearls get everywhere. They line any surface they touch, and get in every thread and seal in the system. Someone cleaned out as much as he could see, put it back together again, and the pearls just got stirred up and he could see them going around his loop in the clear water still.

Hmm... I'll keep looking.

Does anyone know if the Mahems pastel stains bad?

Last edited:
There is no fricking way on earth I would use that dye in my loop... You literally would have to take everything apart after you drain it, cpu/gpu included, and scrub the insides to make sure you got all the shit outta it, let alone how do you get all the crap outta the radiator and pump? I've also seen threads on other forums where Mayhems dye was separating and shit inside the loop and clogging the cpu, etc.

Your loop would look way cooler if you just popped in some UV colored tubes and some blacklights.

I have run Mayhems Aurora 1 and 2 in my system, and never had any problems. As long as the cleaning method that Mayhems provides is followed properly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

My Loop:
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
XSPC Razer GPU Block
XSPC RX360
D5 pump with EK Top and EK Reservoir.

So I've heard some fluids with nanoparticles are supposed to be better, i.e. they don't stain your stuff. Is that true? Does anyone have an example of one they can suggest?

Also, I wanted to post these up. Do you think I can clean my tubes? They're Tygon E-3603. I was planning on buying new primochill ones, but if I can clean these, I can put that money towards a new pump top.

gcPPgnPl.jpg

BWzpF0pl.jpg

Ok, well I chickened out and went with Mayhem's Pastel. It claims to use their nano particle technology, which will extend the life and minimize the staining / clogging of my loop. However, I'm pretty sure the colors other than white use Mahem's dye to get the color. So, I still plan on testing this stuff out, but it'll just be a much longer timeframe now.

Also, I decided to buy new Primochill tubing. I looked up the Tygon 3603 tubing I have now, and it looks like max usage is 9 months before plasticizer starts gunking up your loop. I'm at 9 months now, so it's time to replace. Hopefully this next brand will have better longevity.

Whelp, here she is:
E3USk22l.jpg

More pics in the pic gallery.

Also, it was definitely time to change my tubing :eek:
rXArbLWl.jpg

Also, I wanted to post these up. Do you think I can clean my tubes? They're Tygon E-3603. I was planning on buying new primochill ones, but if I can clean these, I can put that money towards a new pump top

That tubing can't be cleaned because it isn't dirty

It's had plasticizer leeched from its inner walls giving it a cloudy effect

Whelp, here she is:
E3USk22l.jpg

More pics in the pic gallery.

Also, it was definitely time to change my tubing :eek:
rXArbLWl.jpg

Very nice Blue Berry pastel.

For tubing I went with PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - great bend radius and supposed to be good for plasticizer. I found out afterwards that it was also recommended by Mayhems: "UPDATE : PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Working, Tygon E1000 Working. "DEHP" free tubing is recommended for use with Mayhems pastel coolants"

That tubing can't be cleaned because it isn't dirty

It's had plasticizer leeched from its inner walls giving it a cloudy effect

Gotcha. The old tubing was real nast. Glad I got some new stuff.

Very nice Blue Berry pastel.

For tubing I went with PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - great bend radius and supposed to be good for plasticizer. I found out afterwards that it was also recommended by Mayhems: "UPDATE : PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Working, Tygon E1000 Working. "DEHP" free tubing is recommended for use with Mayhems pastel coolants"

That's what I went with. So far so good. I was not expecting it to be as pliable as it is. Hopefully it'll give me a bit more than 9mo, but I guess we'll see.

Thanks to all for the input. I'll update this thread if in 2 years I crack open my CPU block to find a bunch of crud.

Good luck with the aurora, its a hand full. If you have any slow spots in your loop the pearlescent could fall out of solution. If you decide to switch to any other coolant be ready to clean the inside of everything and flush your loop many times.

Good luck with the aurora, its a hand full. If you have any slow spots in your loop the pearlescent could fall out of solution. If you decide to switch to any other coolant be ready to clean the inside of everything and flush your loop many times.

Thanks. I went with Pastel, so hopefully the issues aren't as bad.

Back