metalcast painting advice?

i am goignt o do a case. or a few with the matal cast green paint. I have multiple cans of the green as well as the matching base coat. no one here caree's a metal cast clear coat though.

So I'm just looking for advice on how to get the nicest finish with this stuff. It being not jsut a normal solid paint.

I'm fairly sure wet sanding the case prior and wet sanding the primer coats should do me fine. But wut about the color itself can I wet sand that. it being speckled?

also. I am doign all this testing eventually to do an xbox 360 case "plastic" and some dash pieces "also a plastic... " what bonding agent/primer should I use for that?

One last question. If I wanted to paint some car dash parts that are more of the soft padded plastic feel. What paint/primer/method?

thanks guys!!!!!!

Prep your surface by sanding with fine grit paper, then spray it down with water to remove the fine metal dust that's left.

Let it sit for about an hour to dry, then spray on a degreaser. Spray it down with water again to wash the degreaser off.

Let it sit for about an hour, then spray on your ground coat (Metalcast's name for their basecoat). Use light layers, and don't try to get perfect coverage with the first coat.

Let it dry for about 5 minutes before applying the next, and each coat after that.

Once the groundcoat is applied, read the label to see how long you have to wait before applying the color coat.

When applying the color coat, apply it in VERY thin layers. Also watch for drips comign out of the can's nozzle. The paint is water thin and will drip and run very easily.

Plan to apply 5-10 coats of the color coat to get a good color.

This is metalcast groundcoat (the sheetmetal), and metalcast blue (the mesh):
PICT0532_resize.JPG

This is metalcast purple:
Purple042.jpg

Purple017.jpg

Hey thanks. that helps

So I do not want to sand the primer or the paint as i lay it down.. orange peel and the such is not a problem?

SarverSystems said:
When applying the color coat, apply it in VERY thin layers. Also watch for drips comign out of the can's nozzle. The paint is water thin and will drip and run very easily.

I've been meaning to get clarificaton on this.. People always say thin layers... but not exactly what that entails.. Do you mean moving the can over your piece while spraying for only 2-3 seconds, then let it dry for 10 minutes and go over it again for another few seconds, and repeat over and over?? I started my first rattle can mod and i constantly got drips all over it, but I guess I was getting impatient since there is so much surface area to cover :(

Your first coat should look like someone sprinkled powdered sugar on it. Each coat after that should be about the same, all the way until you have a solid layer of color.

The silver ground coat is much more forgiving. I've painted the base layer in 1 coat before, but it was on smaller pieces that I knew wouldn't run. For a large flat area, the thinner the coats, the better.

Thank you sarver, that is an excellent explanation. I appreciate it since I intend to do that shit someday too. My paint always runs, and now i understand what a "Thin" coat means.

Just put a dusting of paint on it. Maybe a bit more than a dusting. It usally takes me 7 or 8 thin coats to get a decent finish.

Back