Metal Gear Survive 2-22-18 PC, PS4, XB1

trailer doesn't look terrible but it's sorely missing that Hideo Kojima style...this new version looks like a typical shooter which is trying too hard to replicate the weirdness of Kojima...I'm not sure about a new Metal Gear game without Kojima

So it is essentially another co-op game with a half-assed SP component like GR Wildlands. And made simply to milk current trends and an old series, designed around a bunch of bullet points and not out of passion. I thought MGSV was fairly overrated, but this looks far lamer.

I found MGS V to be boring. This looks like a zombie shooter combining elements of Dead Rising games, Resident Evil games, MGS V and some Dying Light. Open world again also pisses me off. Oh well. I have MGS V on two platforms and didn't play it much. I will not be buying this one.

https://www.destructoid.com/now-you-can-check-out-metal-gear-survive-for-yourself-483058.phtml

Best I can gather so far the "core gameplay" of MGSV largely ports over. I loved that game for that and the scenarios but not really the story.

I do see some other changes here past that, that definitely concern me and some of you have already cited those issues.

To their partial credit, there is an open beta that starts today but of course, only on the consoles. (So that's a negative for the PC folks.)

Open beta...demo... same thing. I should see this all the time on any game but I digress. ;)

So it's real simple: When it shows up here in North America, I'll take the beta for a spin on my PS4 and that's going to tell the tale. Anyone with either PS4 or XB1 can do that and have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
I think I might be the one person who doesn't care for the MGS games. The weird convoluted plots, the ridiculous naming conventions, the shaky combat mechanics, and bizzare stealth functionality. The first one was somewhat revolutionary and 4 had anime-quality cutscenes, but that's all I can really say for them. They aren't "bad" games, but I never got the following for 'em.

I think I might be the one person who doesn't care for the MGS games. The weird convoluted plots, the ridiculous naming conventions, the shaky combat mechanics, and bizzare stealth functionality. The first one was somewhat revolutionary and 4 had anime-quality cutscenes, but that's all I can really say for them. They aren't "bad" games, but I never got the following for 'em.

Same here. MGSV was the first one I got into because, at least for me, I liked the gameplay enough and some of the shenanigans in the game world to enjoy it. I'm a Splinter Cell (need new one) and those kinds of games junkie. I couldn't care less about the wild ass story and so forth.

trailer doesn't look terrible but it's sorely missing that Hideo Kojima style...this new version looks like a typical shooter which is trying too hard to replicate the weirdness of Kojima...I'm not sure about a new Metal Gear game without Kojima

https://www.destructoid.com/now-you-can-check-out-metal-gear-survive-for-yourself-483058.phtml

Best I can gather so far the "core gameplay" of MGSV largely ports over. I loved that game for that and the scenarios but not really the story.

I do see some other changes here past that, that definitely concern me and some of you have already cited those issues.

To their partial credit, there is an open beta that starts today but of course, only on the consoles. (So that's a negative for the PC folks.)

Open beta...demo... same thing. I should see this all the time on any game but I digress. ;)

So it's real simple: When it shows up here in North America, I'll take the beta for a spin on my PS4 and that's going to tell the tale. Anyone with either PS4 or XB1 can do that and have nothing to lose.

I want everyone to consider this for a moment, this may very well be the last game ever made by Konami that isn't PES. Think about that. Their business model has completely shifted since Kojima's departure.

No more Metal Gear Solid games.
No more Castlevanias.
No more Silent Hills.
No more Bombermans.
No more Contras.

As a life-long Metal Gear fan it's still hard to accept that I will never in my lifetime play a new Metal Gear Solid game, and if for some reason they end up making a new MGS game it will be completely without Hideo Kojima's influence which is impossible to imagine what it would look like.

The only thing I see happening possibly, but more than likely not is re-makes and/or remasters of existing MGS games or other Konami franchise titles.

Silent Hill and MGS have been my favorite franchises since I was a kid, and it's hard to imagine never playing a new game with those names ever again. I really wish that if Konami just sticks with Pachinko machine sand does in-fact not care to make games that aren't soccer games and micro-transaction-laden bullshit then they would at least sell the franchises or license them out to other studios.

My fond memories of Konami are mostly of their 80's and early 90's games. Castlevania, Gradius, Contra, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Skate or Die, GI Joe, Goonies 2, and the arcade beat 'em ups for TMNT and the Simpsons.
Symphony of the Night and the DS Castlevania sequels are probably the last games that really did it for me.

I want everyone to consider this for a moment, this may very well be the last game ever made by Konami that isn't PES. Think about that. Their business model has completely shifted since Kojima's departure.

No more Metal Gear Solid games.
No more Castlevanias.
No more Silent Hills.
No more Bombermans.
No more Contras.

As a life-long Metal Gear fan it's still hard to accept that I will never in my lifetime play a new Metal Gear Solid game, and if for some reason they end up making a new MGS game it will be completely without Hideo Kojima's influence which is impossible to imagine what it would look like.

The only thing I see happening possibly, but more than likely not is re-makes and/or remasters of existing MGS games or other Konami franchise titles.

Silent Hill and MGS have been my favorite franchises since I was a kid, and it's hard to imagine never playing a new game with those names ever again. I really wish that if Konami just sticks with Pachinko machine sand does in-fact not care to make games that aren't soccer games and micro-transaction-laden bullshit then they would at least sell the franchises or license them out to other studios.
What, you don't like Pachinko laden with fan service?

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
It really boggles the mind how much Konami has lost their way over the years.

My fond memories of Konami are mostly of their 80's and early 90's games. Castlevania, Gradius, Contra, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Skate or Die, GI Joe, Goonies 2, and the arcade beat 'em ups for TMNT and the Simpsons.
Symphony of the Night and the DS Castlevania sequels are probably the last games that really did it for me.

I actually just started playing Symphony of the Night the other day on my Vita. I play a little at night in bed and holy shit is it hard. The beginning weapons are just absolute trash and making my way through the castle is very difficult. My weapons are just not powerful enough to deal with some of those enemies. I am still early on in the game, but it's definitely no cake walk. It's also almost RPG-ish with the amount of items and screens there are in the menu. I don't know what any of those character details mean when I am viewing my inventory. Will have to look into it a little more.

It really boggles the mind how much Konami has lost their way over the years.

Did you read the stories surrounding Konami during and after Kojima's departure? They painted a very very strange and weird place at Konami HQ; almost like the president went crazy or something.

Take a look at this: https://kotaku.com/report-konami-is-treating-its-staff-like-prisoners-1721700073

"Konami is treating their staff like prisoners"

• Kojima Productions, the studio behind the upcoming Metal Gear Solid V(and long famous as a brand of its own), is now simply known as “Number 8 Production Department.” The computers in this section, Nikkei says (and as we reported earlier this year), are allegedly not connected to the internet and are only able to send internal messages.
  • Nikkei reports that employees leaving the company offices during their lunch break are having their absences monitored with time cards. Those who stay out too long are having their names announced throughout the company.
  • That there are cameras in the office corridors that aren’t there for security, but rather to monitor the movements of Konami’s own employees.
  • That most Konami employees do not have their own permanent company email addresses. Staff who must deal with people outside the company, such as sales and PR do; however, everyone else routinely has their address randomised and changed every few months. (Note: Konami employee emails are typically a few letters followed by a string of numbers, but this random email changing has been going on at Konami for years. A while back, one Konami employee told me this was done to prevent headhunting. Over the years, I have seen developers with company email addresses, but this might have changed recently.)
  • That Konami game developers who aren’t seen as useful are reassigned to jobs as security guards, cleaning staff at the company’s fitness clubs or roles at a pachi-slot machine factory. This includes not just junior staff, but producers who have worked on well-known game titles. In 2013, Asahi News, one of Japan’s largest newspapers, ran an interview with a former Konami staffer who allegedly went from game development to working in Konami’s pachi-slot factory, causing him to experience severe depression.
  • That one former employee, upon announcing on Facebook that they were leaving Konami and had got a new job elsewhere, had their post monitored. Nikkei says remaining Konami staff who “liked” the post were all reshuffled within the company.

Another good article from around that time that details what was going on.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/kon...-hideo-kojima-as-it-continues-to-bleed-talent

like this
I actually just started playing Symphony of the Night the other day on my Vita. I play a little at night in bed and holy shit is it hard. The beginning weapons are just absolute trash and making my way through the castle is very difficult. My weapons are just not powerful enough to deal with some of those enemies. I am still early on in the game, but it's definitely no cake walk. It's also almost RPG-ish with the amount of items and screens there are in the menu. I don't know what any of those character details mean when I am viewing my inventory. Will have to look into it a little more.

Symphony is actually a massive, massive game that most people only end up seeing a small portion of. You can play it a linear fashion and end up seeing about 60% of the game if you play all the way through. Yet if you explore the whole map, there are giant sections that lead to hidden items, bosses, characters, and even a pseudo NG+. While it certainly pre-dates the concept, it's almost like a 2D Dark Souls that isn't quite as hard. That game is probably one of the most influential games of the PS1 era.

Symphony is actually a massive, massive game that most people only end up seeing a small portion of. You can play it a linear fashion and end up seeing about 60% of the game if you play all the way through. Yet if you explore the whole map, there are giant sections that lead to hidden items, bosses, characters, and even a pseudo NG+. While it certainly pre-dates the concept, it's almost like a 2D Dark Souls that isn't quite as hard. That game is probably one of the most influential games of the PS1 era.

SOTN is an all time classic in my eyes.

zamardii12: Reads like a real horror story.

Yeah, fuck this game. I'm not interested just because they're only using the Metal Gear name to play their fans and not sell the game on its own merits (which I'm sure will be lacking and is why they need the name to begin with). It has absolutely nothing to do with the Metal Gear realm and it looked like they just lazily imported some of the map areas and other assets directly from MGS5 in their first preview.

First impression: Last of us ripoff
Halfway trough: Fallout 4

Still seems infinitely better than MGSV though. But the mechanics and production quality feel free to play. Dat pickup animation, and dat three chopping animation, what is this minecraft?

I want everyone to consider this for a moment, this may very well be the last game ever made by Konami that isn't PES. Think about that. Their business model has completely shifted since Kojima's departure...

there's still hope...we just have to wait for the rights to the Metal Game series to expire and then maybe Kojima can pick it up...hey if Marvel can work out a deal with Sony to get Spider Man into the MCU and FOX selling basically everything to Marvel there's hope...wherever there is $$ to be made there is hope...

Played the Beta of this. Feels like it should have been an add-on of MGSV instead of its own game.

like this

It gets easier but no doubt the beginning is the hardest. There are some crazy weapons to be found and don't forget to find some familiars. There are also hidden Street Fighter-ish moves that are helpful. You might be too early for some of them like Soul Steal.

This game may be the biggest POS of all time for all we know but I always have to give credit to anyone, anywhere that puts out what's essentially a free demo before a release. This should be standard practice ideally.

Back