Metal Gear Solid 4 release date + new PS3 bundle

Not sure i can hold out that long, GTA is going to make it hard not to buy a PS3 in the near future.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yay! I have had my copy paid for since late January. Now I don't have to worry about it taking my time out of resistance 2 and LBP :D

Should be good, though I'm not sure what effect that will have on their March to June sales.

I can't access either site as they're blocked at work. I know this was a rumor on NeoGAF earlier this morning...but has this been confirmed?

MEGATON if true. I can't believe they're actually bundling a rated M game (MGS4 no less). And with a Dualshock to boot! I hope to God they give LittleBigPlanet the same push later this year (Sony needs a mascot, and Sackboy is the PERFECT mascot).

Thats a rather interesting decision to bring back the 80GB model, instead of increased the HD space a bit. Wonder why they killed the current 80GB, I suspect this new one will not be able to play PS2 games, or they have a software emu out by then.

Don't think I can wait that long. Was planning on buying the 40gig the first week of March.

Anyone know of any other deals going on, I'm kicking myself for missing the Target 40 dollar gift card :mad::mad::mad:

Maybe I can finally play games on my ps3 instead of just watching movies. :D

Thats a rather interesting decision to bring back the 80GB model, instead of increased the HD space a bit. Wonder why they killed the current 80GB, I suspect this new one will not be able to play PS2 games, or they have a software emu out by then.

I think they may have killed off the current 80GB to replace it with an 80GB set with the new dual shock controller.

I might have to finally get a PS3 in June now but I really want a white one for some odd reason.

I'm not sure about you guys but the mgs4 official trailer makes me actually, seriously consider getting a ps3 for this game. God I hope one day they will let it come to the 360.

I'm not sure about you guys but the mgs4 official trailer makes me actually, seriously consider getting a ps3 for this game. God I hope one day they will let it come to the 360.

I didn't really like MGS3 (didn't get that far) and I thought the trailers for MGS4 were absolutely retarded. I like the bundle idea though.

Lol. Well with MGS you either love it or hate it...I've been a fan of the series for more than a decade.

I also enjoyed MGS1 and 2, however, couldn't ever get into 3. I have high hopes for this game, only reason I ever bought a playstation was for these games.

I think they may have killed off the current 80GB to replace it with an 80GB set with the new dual shock controller.

It would not make any sense those to just stop making the 80GBs for ~5 months to later replace them with the same thing. It costs a lot of money to slow and then restart production like that. I bet the new 80GBs models are just larger drives in 40GB models (2 USB ports, no BC, no card reader...) Then Sony would only be producing one hardware revision of the PS3, and just putting in different HDs.

I'm probably the weirdest person even, but I liked the original Metal Gear games (MG and Snake's Revenge for the NES) but found the newer ones to be a little hokey.
It's one thing to be unrealistic in a top down 8-bit game, but when I saw my friend heal a tank wound with rations...the whole sneaking around and hiding concept just lost me.
This one does look really cool, but I'm not really that hyped for it.
I like either realism or complete fantasy...while MG's a hybrid of the worst parts of both to me. I hate sneaking around and I don't like food healing bullet wounds.

I can't wait to play this game!

adeleon replied on February 26, 2008 at 12:44 pm
Yes, similar to the Motorstorm bundle, the new MGS4 bundle features an 80GB PS3 with some PS2 backwards compatibility.

It does have BC.

I don't think Sony ever discontinued it. They were just clearing them out to make room for the new bundle. Glad to know it's keeping BC, so people won't have an excuse to bitch. :D

I don't think Sony ever discontinued it. They were just clearing them out to make room for the new bundle. Glad to know it's keeping BC, so people won't have an excuse to bitch. :D

But its not 100% BC!!! :p (this is what I hear coming next)

This is awesome, but kind of a problem. Looks like there won't be a Ps3 price drop in the summer time if they plan to release it at this price point. Kind of sucks.

While it's a really great bundle, i just want consoles to come with 2 controllers again.

Maybe I can finally play games on my ps3 instead of just watching movies. :D

Bah. That joke was funny a year ago. Lots of good games now.

Domingo said:
I'm probably the weirdest person even, but I liked the original Metal Gear games (MG and Snake's Revenge for the NES) but found the newer ones to be a little hokey.
It's one thing to be unrealistic in a top down 8-bit game, but when I saw my friend heal a tank wound with rations...the whole sneaking around and hiding concept just lost me.
This one does look really cool, but I'm not really that hyped for it.

Agree 100%. And the trailer of the hot monster chicks flying around on roller skates or whatever didn't do much to put me at ease. I'll for sure play it for the stealth action aspects, but I don't plan on getting much into the story. Kojima needs to lay off the quaaludes.

But its not 100% BC!!! :p (this is what I hear coming next)

And that is exactly right. I was gonna get a 60gig but they're all gone now. and hearing taht the emulation for 80 is going down the drain really didn't help. If they do get rid of BC capable ones later, that probably means they won't bother with improving it, and that really isgonna suck.

Bah. That joke was funny a year ago. Lots of good games now.

Oh, don't be so butthurt. There may be some good games on there now, but nothing that will make me jump on a purchase like MGS4. Of the great games that have come out crossplatform, I haven't found a compelling reason not to play it on my 360.

I thought the third was by far the best MGS. Granted all three have had astronomical production values (plot, graphics, music), the gameplay from the first two was far too gimmicky to my tastes.

I'm going to buy 4 when it comes out and that bundle looks like an attractive offer to me.

6/12/08 - The day my wife leaves me ;)

We've already had the discussion - When MGs4 comes out, I am getting a PS3. End of Story.
This just makes it easier.

It would not make any sense those to just stop making the 80GBs for ~5 months to later replace them with the same thing. It costs a lot of money to slow and then restart production like that. I bet the new 80GBs models are just larger drives in 40GB models (2 USB ports, no BC, no card reader...) Then Sony would only be producing one hardware revision of the PS3, and just putting in different HDs.

Yeah actually, you're wrong, again. If they packaged a clearly superior product at the very same price point as an old model, the old model would forever collect dust. It would be dumb. Also this new package allows them to do what customers and Sony has wanted to do since the release of the PS3: have the DualShock3 bundled in with the system instead of the Sixaxis.

Also it's been confirmed that this new 80GB is the same as the old 80GB with software plus partial hardware backwards compatibility. It has not been confirmed whether it is exactly the same setup (ie. RSX but no EE), however it's hard to imagine it being the other way around (EE but no RSX).

It has not been confirmed whether it is exactly the same setup (ie. RSX but no EE), however it's hard to imagine it being the other way around (EE but no RSX).

You mean GS but no EE.

Cell can emulate EE with little difficulty. Graphics Synthesizer is nigh impossible to emulate.

Back