Metal Gear Solid 4 for Xbox 360 - is this FOR REAL(?)

"Kitaue said Konami may need to expand the target hardware for its blockbuster fighting game Metal Gear Solid, which has so far been developed for Sony's PlayStation machines, to other consoles in the future to recoup development costs."

Yeah, he's only saying that b/c he's concerned that b/c of the $100 price cut he personally does not see a huge reaction from people, and they're afraid with all the money they spend on development, not enough people will have a PS3 to play the game on to make their money back. But, as we have already seen PS3 sales are up on Amazon what... 3200%? Making it #1 in console system sales on Amazon. And, everybody is all of a sudden sold out of them.

Basically, he's just shitting bricks for no reason. It's obvious MGS4 is being developed for the PS3 the ground up, and that it's going to release for the PS3 first, but with the recenet surge of PS3 sales, his view might change.

Yeah, he's only saying that b/c he's concerned that b/c of the $100 price cut he personally does not see a huge reaction from people, and they're afraid with all the money they spend on development, not enough people will have a PS3 to play the game on to make their money back. But, as we have already seen PS3 sales are up on Amazon what... 3200%? Making it #1 in console system sales on Amazon. And, everybody is all of a sudden sold out of them. Rank !=Sales. You should really take time to understand Amazon's ranking system before you are so quick to use the site as a point of reference. Also, Konami is concerned because MGS4 has been a time-consuming and expensive production; they need to recover their costs quickly. MGS remained an 'exclusive' on the PS2 because it had an install base that was more than large enough to drum up healthy, fast sales. The PS3's sales are, at best, anemic, so they have no choice but to explore other options. At the end of the day, developers care much more about making money than they do exclusive titles. I guaruntee you that Dead Rising would've hit the PS3 after launch had the 360 version sold poorly.

Basically, he's just shitting bricks for no reason. It's obvious MGS4 is being developed for the PS3 the ground up, and that it's going to release for the PS3 first, but with the recenet surge of PS3 sales, his view might change. He's shitting bricks for quite a valid reason. The game was expensive to produce and they need a console with an install base large enough to turn a profit and fast. Try to understand that it's only some of us on these forums that care about brand loyalty.

See above :)

Going off the screenshot i seen of killzone2, then thank god it isnt being ported.

Have you ever seen any "behind the scenes" for developing games? Nothing every looks the way it does in pre-alpha. God of War has some pretty good "behind the scenes" that gets unlocked as you play through the game. Some of the maps or models are so crappy because they are looking at other things, bugs in the engine, animation, map layout, ideas for puzzles, gameplay... They had a build of GoW where you could fly around (Before GoW2 and the wings, but that isn't true flying) and the model of Spartan hero looking nothing like he does now. Concept artists throw tons of ideas around, rework the reworked stuff... nothing is every close to looking polished in a pre-alpha build. I'm not saying KZ2 is gonna be totally bad ass or that is gonna suck... I'm just stating in general with any game, one shouldn’t be so biased during its development stages.

See above :)

Well first of all, I have no brand loyalty. I have a 360 and a PS3, so I don't care which it comes out for. I'm just used to seeing it on a Playstation console, so I was just outlining that this was not a official announcement, and that as more time goes on, and the PS3 sales grow much bigger. Then they might just keep it PS3 exclusive, and if they can't do that, then it's obvious that they would have to go multi-platform.

I never in my post excluded the fact that it could go multiplatform. But, with a PS3 price drop, and EB games giving away like 5 Blu-Rays if you buy a PS3 from them, and with 15 PS3 exclusives this year, I was only putting into perspective that the possiblity of a spike in sales numbers for PS3, before MGS4's release, could change the minds of what console(s) they release it on.

He's shitting bricks for a very good reason, but he's still shitting bricks needlessly. We still haven't seen any new media for some time regarding MGS4, nor is there a release date. So there could be some time until release. And also, we can't disregard the probability that if they did make MGS4 PS3 exclusive, the game itself would sell consoles.

"... blockbuster fighting game Metal Gear Solid ..."
LOL :D Fighting game, eh?

Anyway, I wonder how Sony will respond to this. Emergency meeting with all the financial people, and then another price cut? :confused: Looks like this is a pinch. On the one hand, can they really afford to cut prices anymore? On the other hand, they can't afford to lose MGS4 exclusivity. I suspect Sony's confidence level in their other exclusive titles will play a role in this decision, but man... MGS4 is pretty big, so this isn't going to be an easy decision either way.

He's shitting bricks for a very good reason, but he's still shitting bricks needlessly

Oxymoron, anyone :confused:

And also, we can't disregard the probability that if they did make MGS4 PS3 exclusive, the game itself would sell consoles.

It probably will sell a few consoles; unfortunately, nobody can guess just what level that may be and Konami cannot deal with probabilities to recover their costs. They can (a) hope that MGS4 is enough to sell PS3s to make their money or (b) they can release the game on both consoles and all but guarantee that they'll do well given that they are marketing to a little under/over 15 million users combined.

Oxymoron, anyone :confused:

I thought it made sence when I posted that.:p lol. I should re-read what I write every once in a while.

Yay. After being here for 4 years I ranked up. haha

But, as we have already seen PS3 sales are up on Amazon what... 3200%? Making it #1 in console system sales on Amazon. And, everybody is all of a sudden sold out of them.

If I was Konami, I would ask how many actually sold? How many people are getting the PS3 because it is a cheap Blu-Ray player? Can they maintain the sales?

as for exclusive rights for MGS4 we may also be overlooking the possibility that they are just looking for a bribe from Sony to offset the production cost of the game. We all know that MS has written some big checks in the past for exclusivity. This may all just be a tactic since a games usually most upon it's initial release. If people have to wait for the port to the 360 they may have to wait for a long while if a large amount of the code needs to be re-written from scratch since it was originally written for the PS3. A lot of the hype will die down if you can already play it on another console. Wasn't that the main reason they discontinues the port for Saint's Row for the PS3 and decided it would be better to just develop SR2 for both platform for a simultaneous release.

Back