Metal Gear Games Released on GOG...

Just saw this clip of MGS2 in action a bit ago too.

Pretty awesome, as I've been wanting to play through MGS again recently and Sony doesn't seem to think MGS 1-4 are worth playing on PS4 or PS5 still, so this looks like the best option outside of me getting my PS3 and original disks out for it.

i just got the email and WTF'd. were the ported or are they self contained emus?!

Just saw this clip of MGS2 in action a bit ago too.

Pretty awesome, as I've been wanting to play through MGS again recently and Sony doesn't seem to think MGS 1-4 are worth playing on PS4 or PS5 still, so this looks like the best option outside of me getting my PS3 and original disks out for it.

Just emulate it. That's what I do, looks way better anyway.

Metal Gear was ported to MS-DOS in 1990

...but thankfully this looks to be based more on the MSX2-based 2006 port made for MGS: Substance, with a few tweaks here and there

the NES port was by another company who changed some things, the original devs were probably annoyed as it turned out to be inferior yet more popular

Its unfortunate they didn't take the time to provide the "best versions" of the games. The original PC ports of MGS1 and MGS2 (which are released here as more or less antiquated old titles) did come natively to PC, but they were somewhat cumbersome and had other issues. However, these were not updated with the times the way some other iterations have been. Let me suggest the following for the entire Metal Gear (Solid) Saga. Generally, the best thing you can do is - with a couple of exceptions - pick up the PS3 "Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection" as it includes the vast majority of the core-line canon game titles in their "best versions" . I really wish they brought a native version of that to PC, which would make it worth purchasing, not to mention if it was further remastered. Here's the list of mainline titles and (from memory) the "best versions" of them to play. Its worth playing them in "release order" I'd think.

Metal Gear (MSX) - Included as an extra in the Legacy Collection, or a stand alone ROM. OPTIONAL to play, provides a little backstory but a lot of things would be polished/retconned in the future. MSX version suggested, between the two.
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX) Same as above, OPTIONAL to play. Note that the NES "Snake's Revenge" game is non-canon and has nothing to do with Kojima or the MGS series continuity.
Metal Gear Solid OR Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - The Playstation version's best iteration comes in the Legacy Collection (note -I believe it may not be on disc but instead requires a download), also includes the semi-stand-alone VR Missions + other content of the JP released Metal Gear: Integral and the western game alike. Twin Snakes is a Gamecube-based remake of MGS1 that enhances graphics, mechanics, and a few other things - but also changes the feel in the eyes of some (ie Mei Ling loses her "engrish" voice/accent, use of additional "Matrix" bullet-time in cinematics that wasn't possible on PS1, but the script is more accurate to the Japanese original and there is more story-related content in general) . Though there is contentious discussion among fans, many agree that the Twin Snakes benefits outweigh its detriments by far.
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance HD - HD version remaster version included in Legacy Collection and stand-alone X360/PS3 release.
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence HD - HD remaster in Legacy collection / X360/PS3 releases.
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Only available on PS3, either stand-alone or as part of the Legacy Collection.
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Native PC release via Steam. OPTIONAL but highly highly recommended for fans of Platinum Games style action titles. Created some insane (prescient?) memes as well. Play anytime after MGS 4 Guns of the Patriots!
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD - HD Remastered version included in Legacy collection or stand-alone. Highly recommended as the original was a PSP title and so the remaster is quite beneficial.
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - Native PC release via Steam
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Native PC release via Steam

There are other titles in the series with differing game style and varying levels of canonical presence (ie Metal Gear Ac!d series on PSP is an alternate reality and focused on a card-battle sort of gameplay style, or more traditional stealth action Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops was something of a prototype for PeaceWalker both mechanically and its place in the story), but the above is what I understand to be the core Metal Gear experience. It is unfortunate that there isn't a native PC release of the "best versions" for the entire saga which is frustrating, but thankfully the vast majority of the titles can be played on PC now through emulation, particularly the open source RPCS3 emulator. While not all titles are completely flawless and you may need to configure things properly, RPCS3 has made tremendous progress even with demanding titles like MGS4, to the point that (if you have a reasonably [H] system) you should have a good experience. You can even opt to render the game at higher than original resolutions or add other graphical enhancements! Those who wish to emulate "The Twin Snakes" should check out Dolphin which is a mature, full featured, and performant open source Wii / GameCube emulator .

While its nice to see Konami give even a small nod to Metal Gear and the PC, putting the same cumbersome old versions up on GOG is really minimal effort. Konami is controversial for many reasons but they do have a stable of existing games and IP that users, especially on PC, would really embrace if well supported. Porting the Legacy Collection (or perhaps a new, even more complete collection that includes titles like The Twin Snakes and features like dual audio for all titles etc) to PC natively would be a massive step in the right direction, with old and new fans alike embracing the games on Steam. Likewise, they could continue to support Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain and ideally allow for the unused plot and content to finally be finished as Kojima intended! If they were able to offer an olive branch to Kojima Productions, it could result in something of a MGSV: Enhanced Edition in the model of how CDPR upgrades The Witcher games or Techland upgrades Dying Light. I always enjoyed the Metal Gear titles and its a pity they've been fated to languish in Konami's IP treasure chest for the most part when there are so many opportunities to make things right.

Last edited:
Back