metadata and TV series in MediaBrowser

SlowCobra

Limp Gawd
So what is the proper naming convention for TV series to obtain metadata information along with thumbnails etc?

Series in question are:

BSG
Six feet under
Californication

These are in Video_TS format

No idea for DVD rips. Mine are like this:
Dexter/Season 1/DexterS01E01.avi

It works fine for me like that.

I don't think Mediabrowser can pull metadata for dvd ripped tv series unless each episode is in it's own video file like the way Crim has it.

I don't think Mediabrowser can pull metadata for dvd ripped tv series unless each episode is in it's own video file like the way Crim has it.

This is correct. You have to break each episode into its own video file for the metadata to work.

Media Center Master will pull the metadata down for MediaBrowser. You need them organized like this -
X:\TV\Show\Season 1\Show - 1x01\VIDEO_TS\*video files*
or
X:\TV\Show\Season 1\S01E01 - Name\VIDEO_TS\*video files*

I don't know if MB will pull the data down for those itself, but I prefer using MCM to keep the data offline.

How does that work? A DVD for a tv show might have more than on ep on it.

I let MyMovies Collection Manager do all of the metadata footwork. It's very accurate in BSG's Season 1-3 but you need to fix the rest of it yourself because they didn't put the barcodes on individual DVD boxes in the rest of the season. Nothing a scanner and typing the back of the boxes can't fix. Took a while but it was worth it.

If you like, I can upload all of my BSG cover scans for you somewhere to make things easier for you.

Edit: Here are the covers I scanned for Seasons 4 and 4.5 - http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p53/Azhar1972/BSG DVD Covers/

Last edited:

You need to separate the episodes one way or another, whether that's ripping each episode out to a separate video_ts folder with DVDshrink or repackaging each to an .mkv

1) If you are lucky each episode may simply correspond to a different .vob on the disk.

2) Handbrake will likely present the different episodes to you (though they won't be named, but you should be able to extract each episode and name later because it shows you how long it is)

3) MakeMKV might break it up into individual episodes per disk too.

You can mess around manually with Metabrowser and edit the data yourself.

I did that and lock-down all my metadata locally so I know exactly what MediaBrowser is going to pull... also helps if anything is missing or wrong you can edit it yourself.

You need to separate the episodes one way or another, whether that's ripping each episode out to a separate video_ts folder with DVDshrink or repackaging each to an .mkv

1) If you are lucky each episode may simply correspond to a different .vob on the disk.

2) Handbrake will likely present the different episodes to you (though they won't be named, but you should be able to extract each episode and name later because it shows you how long it is)

3) MakeMKV might break it up into individual episodes per disk too.

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. Basically gotta rip the disc out to separate files for each ep. I'm about to do that with some series with Handbrake.

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. Basically gotta rip the disc out to separate files for each ep. I'm about to do that with some series with Handbrake.

Yeah, just batch queue up all the files from each disk. Come back later and queue up the next one.

If you don't want to onsie twosie the disks... Rip them all to .iso, mount each with virtual clone drive or daemon tools then batch them all together via HB and comeback tomorrow to all the ripped files.

Last edited:
Yeah, just batch queue up all the files from each disk. Come back later and queue up the next one.

If you don't want to onsie twosie the disks... Rip them all to .iso, mount each with virtual clone drive or daemon tools then batch them all together via HB and comeback tomorrow to all the ripped files.

They're already all ripped to my server, so I can cue them all up and let it fly. :cool:

Back