Meta to Cut 10,000 Jobs, Slash 5,000 More Vacant Positions

erek

[H]F Junkie
DEEP cuts continue in mid Tech

"Meta Platforms Inc. plans to lay off around 10,000 employees and close about 5,000 additional open roles in its second major round of job cuts in the past six months.

The Facebook parent company is embarking on a “year of efficiency” to improve its financial performance and achieve longer term goals. As part of those efforts, Meta is flattening the organization, canceling lower priority projects and slowing hiring, Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg said in a statement on Tuesday. Bloomberg previously reported that cuts were coming. The world’s largest social-networking company in November already laid off 11,000 people, or 13% of its staff."

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nate-5-000-more-vacant-positions?srnd=premium

Google over-hired talent to do ‘fake work’ and stop them working for rivals, claims former PayPal boss, Keith Rabois​

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/google-over-hired-talent-fake-114331193.html

The thousands of layoffs in Big Tech are thanks to an over-hiring spree to satisfy the "vanity" of bosses at the likes of Meta and Alphabet, according to a member of the so-called PayPal Mafia.

Speaking remotely at an event hosted by banking firm Evercore, Silicon Valley VC Keith Rabois said Meta and Google had hired thousands of people to do "fake work" to hit hiring metrics out of "vanity".

Rabois, who was an executive at PayPal in the early 2000s alongside Tesla CEO Elon Musk, said the axing of droves of jobs is overdue. "All these people were extraneous, this has been true for a long time, the vanity metric of hiring employees was this false god in some ways," Rabois said, according to Insider.

"There's nothing for these people to do —it's all fake work. Now that's being exposed, what do these people actually do, they go to meetings."

The DoorDash investor added Google had intentionally hired engineers and tech talent to stop them from being snapped up by competitors.

The downside, Rabois said, was that the new hires just had to "be entitled, sit at their desks, and do nothing." Rabois suggested that this was not a bad strategy, even going as far as to say that hiring skilled workers to keep them out of competitor's offices is "pretty coherent".

Far from being "pretty coherent", this seems dumb, even if you *do* have the money to hire thousands of people you don't need or even have work for.

Google over-hired talent to do ‘fake work’ and stop them working for rivals, claims former PayPal boss, Keith Rabois​

Far from being "pretty coherent", this seems dumb, even if you *do* have the money to hire thousands of people you don't need or even have work for.
0.png

If Google isn't going to use any of that talent to improve my search results, could it at least spare one employee to update its mission statement to reflect its current business model?

"Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful."
—Google

If Google isn't going to use any of that talent to improve my search results, could it at least spare one employee to update its mission statement to reflect its current business model?

"Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful."
—Google
also Google and Meta are passing on the cost of these employees to you by serving up more and more stuffed Ads

Apparently ( I do not know enough to judge), but according to some people quite in the know from the All-in podcast, google search-ads was such a profitable endeavour with such high margin, that google felt a lot of pressure to spent a lot to not attract too much regulatory-anti monopolistic government action their way, so I could imagine them quite ready to spend a lot and let star employee become manager and hire has they want

How you end up with 10,000 spare employees is something I can barely comprehend. To hire someone because "we'll probably find them something to do" is just bonkers. I hire someone because there is work not being done, not being done on time, or done poorly. If I hired someone that had no work I would 100% expect to be fired on the spot when my boss found out. Seems like fraud or the like to me.

What percentage of Twitter employees were blown out recently? Seems like they are humming right along without them.
About half at first, has for how well it is humming now that it is a private company it will be much harder to judge.

It is an ads/human behaviour change sellers, how good it was at selling and charging for those service, there a lot of reports of massive drop, how true they are, how linked they are to a diminution of worked hours versus advertisers leaving has a protest or the silicon valley general down turn after an unsustainable 2021 peak...

Really? The peak as I look at this is 84 outages, no telling how many are user error.

Let me know when tens of millions can’t access it.
Twitter broke links for every user earlier this month. Many users couldn't tweet or DM for hours one day in February. And let's not forget that Twitter's Tor tool for dodging real censorship stopped working days ago because the people who maintained it are no longer at the company.

The simple, demonstrable reality is that Musk is hurting Twitter's ability to run. That's unlikely to happen at Meta, but that's because Meta's leadership (unlike Musk) actually knows what it's doing.

Seem that those statement miss to compare with the numbers of issues of the average 6 months of the last 5 years to give us any idea.

Or the idea that cutting so much cost would necessarily not be worth it if in the short term those issue occur and mean someone does not know what is doing, that seem to be giant shortcut being taken

Best thing that could happen to global humanity is a total and permanent collapse of the power grid. All of it. Just gone in one night. Back to horse, buggies, and hand shakes.

Twitter broke links for every user earlier this month. Many users couldn't tweet or DM for hours one day in February. And let's not forget that Twitter's Tor tool for dodging real censorship stopped working days ago because the people who maintained it are no longer at the company.

The simple, demonstrable reality is that Musk is hurting Twitter's ability to run. That's unlikely to happen at Meta, but that's because Meta's leadership (unlike Musk) actually knows what it's doing.
Musk bought Twitter just to expose the evil within. He's much smarter than you'll ever dream of anyone being. Now he's thinking of buying Sil Valley Bank. More exposure to the evil of the govt and banking cartel.

Musk bought Twitter just to expose the evil within. He's much smarter than you'll ever dream of anyone being. Now he's thinking of buying Sil Valley Bank. More exposure to the evil of the govt and banking cartel.
Oh, you think he's a noble crusader... how cute!

He's bright in some respects, but he's pretty clueless in others (see: bogus promises about autonomous driving, wildly optimistic timelines for just about everything). He tends to only look for opinions that agree with his, evidence be damned. He's also a workaholic who expects everyone around him to have as terrible a personal life as he does.

I don't know about you, but I don't put people up on pedestals. They're humans, not heroes or gods. And in many cases, the people with a flash of brilliance are the ones you have to be most careful about, as they tend to be deeply flawed in other respects.

If Elon thinks running a social media company or a company traded on the stock markets is too much; subjecting himself to the degree of oversight that banks operate under would be the stupidest possible thing he could do.

Which given his recent track record means it's probably 50/50 he buys it. 🤦🏽‍♂️

He can pretend to be a genius all he wants, but his last two moves of n-dimensional chess were to dip the horsy in cocktail sauce and try to eat it, followed by stuffing a bishop up his nose.

Last edited:
Not everything is money money money when you stand to lose your own freedom and watch the world around you burn down Into a dystopian hell nightmare. That's what is happening. He warned the WEF that moving to a one world govt will doom humanity. All Musk has been doing is exposing and warning people. I personally think SpaceEx was designed so He can literally escape earth before humanity sinks even further.(in his mind) He's no Hero and he's not God. He's just a man but if you have been paying attention and stop making assumptions you would see what he has been warning against.

Meh who am I trying to convince anyways right? It's all conjecture, theory, and guesses. Only Christ knows what's in a man's heart and his motivations.
He’s an idiot who is definitely not looking out for your interests. If you think he’s some sort of savor or kind hearted person you haven’t been paying attention to his actions.

I'm with Meta, I'm here to help.......

no, really, I am, honest.....

Surely you can tell, right ?

I deleted my reply. It's off topic and who cares any more. So if someone quotes my reply from before it's not mine anymore. I've deleted it.

Facebook and meta is failing a slow miserable death. I don't think anyone uses thier platform anymore but older people posting stuff for sale.

Last edited:
Back