Meta<browser/> 2.0

-Sn1PeR-

2[H]4U
... It's going to cost $20/year for a 2 computer (non-raid compatible) license that requires an online connection....

Is there an alternative? I hope they don't get rid of the old version -- metabrowser definitely has it's quirks, but it's awesome. I use it on more than 2 computers though and don't always have an online connection depending on where I am.

Yeah $20 per year isn't bad. He could've priced it like many other download software, $49+ per year per computer or something like that. Besides, he said the decision isn't final, so we'll see when it's launched.

AnyDVD HD has a yearly cost too, doesn't it?

Yeah $20 per year isn't bad. He could've priced it like many other download software, $49+ per year per computer or something like that. Besides, he said the decision isn't final, so we'll see when it's launched.

AnyDVD HD has a yearly cost too, doesn't it?

Yeah, unless you pay extra for a lifetime license.

Media Center Master seems to do all the same things that are mentioned in the features and more (including torrents, trailers, already supports TV series, other stuff...). Plus it also has a greatly helpful and friendly forum.

I'm still looking into everything and am trying to decide the best system for my parents. Just dl'ed boxee and xbmc and will try those out to see if they fit my need (Both seem needlessly complicated and lack at least at first glance the ease of Mediabrowser and media center master), but I digress.

If Metabrowser has something that is worthwhile over media center master I would like to know as I want the best and easiest experience for my parents.

... It's going to cost $20/year for a 2 computer (non-raid compatible) license that requires an online connection....

Is there an alternative? I hope they don't get rid of the old version -- metabrowser definitely has it's quirks, but it's awesome. I use it on more than 2 computers though and don't always have an online connection depending on where I am.

The current version should continue to work so that shouldn't be a problem. I would rather it be free but $20 isn't bad as long as the new version is worth it and the developer deserves to get paid for the amount of work put into it.

I for one will probably pay the $20 as long as it's worth it to upgrade, but it will need to have some significant tweaking to be worth it.

I still use MediaScout for my initial metadata fetching and episode renaming. If I don't like the default artwork it finds, I switch to metabrowser to tweak it. The combination of the 2 currently handles everything I need to do. Mediascout isn't updated anymore, but still works great. I prefer it over metabrowser mainly because of its progress window that lists every action it takes when processing a folder. It flags bad or mislabeled files in red, so you can easily go back and fix them.

I have been trying out MCM off and on over the past week and I haven't really gotten the hang of it yet. It seems to be able to do everything I need, but every single step seems to require research in the forums on my part. It's a shame really since the author seems like a really good guy that is doing things the right way.

MediaScout:
http://www.mediabrowser.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=861

You know, I don't know how I feel about having to spend money yearly on an app like this. AnyDVD is one thing, metabrowser is another. AnyDVD requires constant upkeep to stay on top of DRM changes. Metabrowser interfaces with other media databases to retrieve data. As far as I know the author of Metabrowser isn't the one keeping those databases up to date.

I love metabrowser but I'm a little uncomfortable paying for something year after that is essentually a frontend for database retrieval. Flat rate plus donations seems more then fair. I'd pay $20 a year only if that money was also going towards the TMDB and TVDB people (both of which receive most, if not all, of their data from users).

I love metabrowser and have no problem laying down $30 for it but $20 a year for two machines is a bit much to me unless it's going to the database guys too.

Back