Merging Album Art With MP3

Codegen

Gawd
What software do I need to merge album art with the MP3 itself?

I've noticed that a few of my MP3s appear to have the album art embedded in themselves. I was just wondering how to do this?

It's a small thing, but I think this:

dsc00963jj3.jpg

Looks a bit better than this

dsc00964gi4.jpg

iTunes doesn't tag the mp3 file itself with the artwork; it merely adds the artwork to the database directory of all the music in your iTunes library. If you copy that mp3 file off onto some other type of player other than an iPod, you'll never see that artwork. I learned that the hard way in the past by letting it "add artwork" to over 2500 mp3 files, then I copied them off to a 20GB off-brand mp3 player - and yep, no artwork at all.

Tag&Rename is my tagger of choice, and it's so cool once you learn the ins and outs of the software. Highlight a bunch of songs, add artwork, and the image is embedded in the mp3 file itself as it should always be done and can be read back by most any modern player - including iPods - without the need for some database of artwork to check on.

Hope this helps...

Windows Media Player had this built in since 9. Right click while you are playing it and go to "advanced tagging" (Running Manderin ver here so don't know the exact word).

Another way is just put the pic you want in the same folder and name it folder.jpg and WMP will pick it up automatically.

iTunes doesn't tag the mp3 file itself with the artwork; it merely adds the artwork to the database directory of all the music in your iTunes library.

Ah my bad...I only used the "get album artwork" with iTunes a few times so guess I was wrong about that, but tag&rename is what I normally use, and that one definitely lets you do this...

Windows Media Player had this built in since 9. Right click while you are playing it and go to "advanced tagging" (Running Manderin ver here so don't know the exact word).

Another way is just put the pic you want in the same folder and name it folder.jpg and WMP will pick it up automatically.

Correct, but just as with iTunes, it doesn't embed the artwork in the mp3 file which is the best way to do it for most media players. It just keeps the folder.jpg file which is the artwork; if that's not around, no artwork, whereas with Tag&Rename and a few other taggers, they add the artwork directly into the mp3 file itself so any player can read it, or at least every one that I've ever tried, including iTunes and WMP.

People, especially newer members, don't pay much attention to the first post in some threads, or the last one before they make their post sooo... obviously by not doing so they fail to see the date/time of the previous post(s).

"This thread is dead... long live this thread..." :p

Back