Men Who Post Selfies Show Psychopathic Tendencies

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't get mad at me, you're the psychopath posting all the selfies. :D

Men who regularly posted photos of themselves online scored higher on a measure for narcissism and psychopathy. According to Medical News Today, a study out of Ohio State University has found that men who took “selfies” were more likely to exhibit psychopathic traits when compared to control group.

What is with this war against men, lately? Equality! Equality! #Tumblr something something.

Rarely do I see men posting selfies. Those that do are obvious narcissists. Psychopath? I think it's just in the numbers. A lot of narcissists have the same traits as psychopaths.

What is with this war against men, lately? Equality! Equality! #Tumblr something something.

Rarely do I see men posting selfies. Those that do are obvious narcissists. Psychopath? I think it's just in the numbers. A lot of narcissists have the same traits as psychopaths.
Haven't you heard? Sweden's crusade of misandry is now the golden standard to which first-world countries should hold themselves to. Egalitarinism is dead.

I have been seeing that "Study" all over facebook. Who comes up with this junk.
But really it is awkward when i have to take a picture of myself or maybe its because i can't stand looking at myself for extended periods of time because ya know.. of how ugly i am.

"[...] a study out of Ohio State University [...]"

Funded mostly with your tax dollars. :cool:

This would be like having a study to show that Christians believe that Jesus Christ raised Himself from the dead. (I am and I do.) Obvious study is obvious.

That is supposed to be the difference between guys and girls.

Guy adopts a kitten, wants to show you the kitten, he aims the camera at it and snaps.

Girl adopts a kitten, wants to show you, she stands in front of the cat pointing the camera at her with the cat in the background over her shoulder and snaps.

I hate taking "selfies" and only do so when absolutely necessary.
It isn't just men though, women do this as well (article is kind of sexist, imo).

went-to-the-moon-took-5-photos.jpg

if men are psychopath and narcissists what do they consider women? insecure, they are looking for validation, hence all the selfies?

if men are psychopath and narcissists what do they consider women? insecure, they are looking for validation, hence all the selfies?
Women are in advertise mode for reasons if you don't immediately understand I you're too young to have explained.

The flipside of this is, according to a story I heard on NPR, the heads of corporations, former presidents, and other men in positions of power also share many tendencies with psychopaths. So, you know, despite the shallow, douchey veneer of endless selfies, it could mean you are destined for greatness.

Or you are just a crazy douche.

Came here to comment, found most everything covered.

Though I will say that while I believe there is in general a war on men that needs to stop, I don't feel this is really part of it. I would say basically the same thing about women who post a ton of selfies as well to be honest though.

Obvious study is obvious.

Daddy issues, low self esteem...

"OMG, I'm so ugly!"

I take selfies. They are profile pictures used for online profiles (professional style pictures). Those are done to look good, not like ass.

Others include very satirical duck face shots, among others.

BREAKING! BREAKING! "Researchers who do studies on men posting selfies more likely to get their ass beat than the control group!"

I hate taking "selfies" and only do so when absolutely necessary.
It isn't just men though, women do this as well (article is kind of sexist, imo).

went-to-the-moon-took-5-photos.jpg

I've never considered posting a selfie as "absolutely necessary" under any circumstance.

Obvious internet "know it all" neckbeards and MRAs are obvious.

I almost thought my ex wrote this paper since its in her field of study. Then again, it would have been the (sad) irony of ironies if she did, since she pretty much married such a man (either never left him, or got back together with him while dating me).

Be careful of what you say, people don't like the truth :eek:. Granted not all women are like that, but I don't know one that doesn't post selfies.

If you click through to the source article, the reason for women missing from this study was as follows:

Women were excluded from this study due to the dataset, which Fox received from a magazine, not containing comparable data for women.

So what does that mean, exactly. They couldn't find a control group of women who didn't take selfies? :D

The question is, are selfies causing the behavior or the obsession with selfies a result of a psychopath?

Zarathustra[H];1041354027 said:
If you click through to the source article, the reason for women missing from this study was as follows:

So what does that mean, exactly. They couldn't find a control group of women who didn't take selfies? :D

Maybe they ran out of funding before they found that control group :D.

The narcissism is absolutely correct, but I love the actual study.

Men who do this sort of thing are anti-social and unhealthy, even potentially dangerous to other people.

Women who do these things are being victimised by men.

It boggles the mind.

Women who do this sort of thing are equally as capable of being anti-social and unhealthy. However, society's perspective on such behavior is different regarding women than it is regarding men. Women that do these things are equally capable of victimizing men. Women can and do use and abuse men. Actual numbers may be less for a number of reasons pertaining to differences in men and women and societal roles.

I have been an athlete (not professional) for my entire life and the last 4 years I also go religiously to the gym. I work hard I eat like a spartan I took no shortcuts. Recently I saw my body looking amazing my abs showing my veins like tattoos.

I took a selfie for the first time in my entire life, without wearing a shirt, right after a basketball game. I wanted to post it on my facebook page. I have not 100000 friends, I only have people I know or I have/had some connection with. And I did not post it.

Immediately I realized what others would think of me for showing off. But I worked bloody hard and the whole "you do it for yourself" moto is bullshit. Of course you do it for yourself, first, but also of course we need to show off. It is in our nature, we are beings that mostly like to live with others, not alone.

Anyway, to end this rant, I refrained from posting it because I was sure all the female friends I have would judge me. Now I am glad I did because I would be labeled as a psychopath.

Honestly, anyone posting a "selfie" probably has some sort of psychopathic narcissistic issues.

Usually these studies are pretty cheap because they get their participants from various class extra-credit assignments. They're handled by a grad student (with a full-time professor overseeing).

I participated in a few different ones. You just go to an office, fill out a form, do the required survey/whatever and sign-out.

I'd be surprised if a lot of them cost more than a thousand dollars or so.

I have been an athlete (not professional) for my entire life and the last 4 years I also go religiously to the gym. I work hard I eat like a spartan I took no shortcuts. Recently I saw my body looking amazing my abs showing my veins like tattoos.

I took a selfie for the first time in my entire life, without wearing a shirt, right after a basketball game. I wanted to post it on my facebook page. I have not 100000 friends, I only have people I know or I have/had some connection with. And I did not post it.

Immediately I realized what others would think of me for showing off. But I worked bloody hard and the whole "you do it for yourself" moto is bullshit. Of course you do it for yourself, first, but also of course we need to show off. It is in our nature, we are beings that mostly like to live with others, not alone.

Anyway, to end this rant, I refrained from posting it because I was sure all the female friends I have would judge me. Now I am glad I did because I would be labeled as a psychopath.

I think you are going wayyy overboard. Posting a single selfie is hardly indicative of pschopathy and the study doesn't claim that.

Its not as if this behavior didn't exist before social media, or doesn't exist outside of it.

The immediate picture in a person's mind when the word "study" is thrown around is a laboratory with lab coats and staff. That's not the case, though, like most studies it was unfunded. In fact it was just an online survey by a magazine that was used by a student and an assistant professor to write the paper. Only 800 men participated, no women participated. The article uses the age old art of venerating victimhood and logical fallacy to conclude that women who do these same things are being victimised by the patriarchy or something with a penis of some sort. The paper by the student and the assistant professor draws no such conclusions.

In short, what this actually is, is:

An article, based on an article, based on a grad paper, based on an article, that was based on an online survey.

Suddenly you start to see how so many "studies" supposedly ooze to life from the festering pustules that cling to the forgotten underside of academia.

Of course you do it for yourself, first, but also of course we need to show off. It is in our nature, we are beings that mostly like to live with others, not alone.

Disagree. Showing off of anything (your body, your car, the inside of your rig, your wealth etc. etc.) makes you kind of a douche.

Back