Men of War 1.0 - RTS Heaven

200mg

Limp Gawd
I saw an earlier post on this forum about Men of War Beta. Well, the 1.0 is out and this game is rts gold, the only issue is the European studio that released it, 1C/Best Way, didn't do enough advertising in America. MoW has an older brother called Faces of War which was picked up for N. American distribution through Ubisoft, I don't think it did very well because it looks like Ubisoft either passed on, or was never offered the opportunity to distribute Men Of War. After Direct2Drive picked this game up there were a few more American players, but not near enough...

I'm trying to spread the word about this game. It's World in Conflict meets Company of Heroes, but it was done EXTREMELY well. MoW offers an option somewhat new to RTS's called direct control, I have mine setup where I can control single units using w,s,a,d. In direct control it plays somewhat like a 3rd person shooter.

MoW is imho an RTS classic that will hopefully pull off a sleeper comeback like Sins of a Solar Empire. I did a couple of posts on my blog about the game w/ screenshots, I'll link them here. IF YOU LIKED CoH, YOU'LL LOVE MEN OF WAR.

Beta Post http://www.nixlab.net/blog/?p=336
Gold Post http://www.nixlab.net/blog/?p=364

Yeah, I made a post earlier about this. This game is pure win and I'm really diggin' it. For only $25 at ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ (last I checked) it's a freaking steal compared to games with half as much tactics/strategy like DoW2. It is really unfortunate that they're not giving that game the media attention it deserves. By far it plays better than the rest of them in the series and the new interface is a welcome change. I really hope this game doesn't fade into obscurity and become a sleeper classic.

I played some of it at a LAN party this weekend, and people stopped by and constantly asked me what game it was. When I told them, they'd never heard of it but they'd always say it looks fun/great/amazing/cool/etc, and move on.

I really have only great things to say about the game. I made an entire thread about it earlier, but has since faded from view. I won't retype everything I've said there, but here's a link for reference. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1400673

Excellent visuals and physics, great soundtrack, brilliant single-player missions, multiple multiplayer gamestyles, dedicated support staff (I had a bad disc and they had me up and running in <24 hours on a weekend). Tons of fun. Really guys, check it out, you can't go wrong.

Yea I finally got time to sit down and play it yesterday and it is great (just started chap 3). I played one map on the mp beta and it was fun haven't tried the mp with full rls. I was a big SHOWW2 fan but didn't care for Faces of War much but this one is great and more like SHOWW2 but less micromanagement.

I bought it off D2Drive, I couldn't wait for steam.

Tell you the truth, I haven't played any single player at all. The multi-player co-op is fun..pretty hard, but fun. It's cool you picked yours up on D2D, i pickeed mine up at the first place that offered it, a place called gamersgate.com for $39.99...then D2D dropped it 2 days later for 10 bucks less. Gamersgate was a horrible experience...slow downloads, their proprietary downloader was crap...D2D only for me from now on.

Tell you the truth, I haven't played any single player at all. The multi-player co-op is fun..pretty hard, but fun. It's cool you picked yours up on D2D, i pickeed mine up at the first place that offered it, a place called gamersgate.com for $39.99...then D2D dropped it 2 days later for 10 bucks less. Gamersgate was a horrible experience...slow downloads, their proprietary downloader was crap...D2D only for me from now on.

Yeah, I saw your site, "Who plays singleplayer?" :rolleyes: I do! :p

You can't expect everyone to get their fix strictly from MP. Besides it's a good way to pick up the game and learn some of the units. Map design is brilliant and there are things going on in man levels which I've seen no other RTS games do.

I haven't gotten to play the MP yet. I'm looking to do some coop first then move into the versus. There's a lan party this weekend that I hope can provide a good first place to go head to head.

the voice acting was terrible, and i thought the gameplay was slow - at least when i tried single player. THe graphics are blocky and the cover system is not really intuitive. My two cents.

I'll give it another shot in a week or two, though.

Really, the cover system is not intuitive? I mean, short of showing the color of the men where they will take cover it should be pretty self-explainitory. With my video settings it looks no worse than CoH - both look great until you decide to zoom in as close as possible.

The first mission lets the player take it at their own pace for the most part. I wouldn't call it slow unless you were taking it slowly. There are plenty of missions that are hectic beyond belief and you'll wish the game was slower than the speed settings they give you. You'll barely have room to breathe.

Yes, the voice acting is terrible. Thankfully, I don't buy my games for voice acting! :p

the voice acting was terrible, and i thought the gameplay was slow - at least when i tried single player. THe graphics are blocky and the cover system is not really intuitive. My two cents.

I'll give it another shot in a week or two, though.

The voice acting and gameplay issues are the same I'm hearing from many people who played the sp.. I honestly think your mp experience will differ greatly.

From the Direct2Drive overview of Men at War,

Known Issues
This product does not support Windows 95/98/ME/2000/NT or XP x64/Vista x64.

So am I out of luck running 64 bit Vista?

Known Issues

I run it on both Vista x64 and Win7 x64 perfectly.

Known Issues

lol, that's quite a list. Wouldn't it be easier to say that the product is supported for 32-bit XP and Vista?

Anyway, running fine here on Vista x64 as well. Retail version from XXXXXXX.

I'm running Vista64, I got the D2D version, didn't see the disclaimer, and get an error when I try to run the installer. Something like "the version is not compatible with your operating system. Contact the manufacturer and see if there is a 64-bit verison available."

Did you do anything special to get the installer to run?

I tried running as administrator, and in compatibility mode, but no luck. I'm going to try re-downloading but using the D2D download manager, and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do..

I can't help you much since I don't have the D2D version. (which disclaimer are you referring to?)
The game itself didn't require any sort of permissions or compatibility tweaking to install or play on my end. Are there any forums that specifically discuss the D2D games and may have information about this issue?

The game is now available on Steam as well! :D

I can't help you much since I don't have the D2D version. (which disclaimer are you referring to?)
The game itself didn't require any sort of permissions or compatibility tweaking to install or play on my end. Are there any forums that specifically discuss the D2D games and may have information about this issue?

The game is now available on Steam as well! :D

Hi FrozenLiquidity

There is a statement at the bottom of the page on the D2D game info screen that says something like "this game is not compatible with vista 64 or xp64"... word to that effect, at least. i didn't see it when i bought it. i've heard of some people running the d2d version in vista 64, but i haven't been able to. can't even get the installer to run. i know it's now on steam, but i really don't want to have to buy the same game twice. it was on sale at d2d for $15. i think it's now $27 on steam. i've seen several posts of people not getting it to work, and people on whose systems it does work, but i've never seen one where someone could take a non-working men of war and make it work. and that's what i need.

oh well. i am downloading the file again while i'm at work, and will give it a try when i get home. we'll see.

thanks.

Progress:

Using Direct2Drive's download manager, which handles the downloading and then unzips the downloaded archive afterward, resulted in an unzipped package that executed just fine under Vista64. So that's that solved. After installing the package, upon running the program it gave me an activation screen and I typed in my activation code, which then failed to activate. It was suggested that I run the app as Administrator, which I did, and that I disable my firewall, which I also did. No love. Still not activated, and I have an email to customer service for resolution.

Not impressed with Direct2Drive. Give me Steam. More reliable and it seems like it's a much better coded environment for buying my games and then managing them.

Thanks.

Back