Memtest86+ reports different timings depending on the slot (channel) - potential issues?

cap21

n00b
Hello,

Recently a circuit breaker tripped and after that, my PC started showing a lot of segmentation faults. I checked the file system and it seemed clean, so I tested RAM with memtest86+. I found out that one of the sticks became faulty (many Memtest errors and segmentation faults when booting up with single stick). The other stick seems to be ok (currently running on the system I am using), but there are a few symptoms that I observed:

1. It gets Memtest error on the first run (usually during the first pass) right after I re-seat it into a slot. If I rerun the test, it goes through without any errors (8 - 13 passes). I tested on each slot and I saw this happening a few times.
2. Memtest reported different timings for the same RAM stick on different slots: Slot A1 and A2 reported 9-9-9-24, which is what the RAM is rated for. Slot B1 and B2 reported 6-6-6-20. This was consistent on both sticks (I tested each stick on each slot).

My question is: are there any other parts that can be faulty? I am not sure if above symptoms are signs of malfunction. I was going to replace RAM only, but if other parts like motherboard or CPU are also malfunctioning, I may need to upgrade the system. With one RAM stick, I am not seeing any issues on the running machine.

My PC spec:
Asus P8Z77-V
Intel i5-3570K
Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB x 2 RAM (kit) <-- one became faulty
Corsair CX600 PSU

Thank you.

I would test them with another application to try and verify if its the mb acting wonky or just the software reading the modules wrong for some reason.

Unfortunately, without another PC where you can swap parts and test, it can be really, really difficult. I recently bought another CPU to test whether CPU or mobo were acting up.
It's unlikely to be the CPU, those rarely die. Either Mobo or RAM. 2 or 4gb of RAM is not that expensive these days, cheaper than the mobo for sure, so try to buy another RAM set or stick and test.

Hello, thank you for your replies. I am not sure any other applications that can measure the detected RAM timings for linux system. I tried decode-dimms command, but I think it just reads information on the RAM. Could anyone suggest other application that works for linux? If possible, I would like to test this before proceeding with the RAM purchase.

Back