Memtest wontrun nd aida64 ram+cache stress fail fast, but am stable!!

What is happning??

• Yes, it is part of normal usage, all is stable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something unstable, maybe cache of cpu? All sticks cnt be bad

• Compatibility issues, memtest won't run with xeon in regular bjoard

• More testing needed. Pls help I dont understand how it cnt be stable when it is.

• Total voters

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
Mates am cry her. Please hear me out. Very long, but worthy.

Okay. So taco decided to get more ram, has 1gb x 3 elpida sticks. Decided to stick them along with 2x4gb muslims enhanced. Total 11gb. Reason so kingdom won't crash randomly sometimes but that also may be due to 2gb pagefile? Taco now made 4gb. Anyways....

Tried stability:
-cinebench r20 works fins nd consistent results.
-prime95 works fine 2 mins maybe 5 didnt test longer.

Tried to get into memtest v4 from cd. Instant restart when memtest screen appears. Like INSTANT!!!! okay, tried different sticks all crashing. Default bios values too nd tried clear cmos. Nothing halps.

Okay, finally found way to get into memtest boot cd. One elpida 1gb stick nd memtest boots up. Only weird stuff shows up.

Says core i9 2600 something? Also says ram speed running at 4133?! Its a 1066ram stick!!

Also, nunch of caches says unknown.

Taco think its bug nd nt works with xeon processor in regular non server board.

So confused!!

What motherboard do you have? It sounds like your processor has a triple-channel memory interface. If that's the case you would want 3 x 1 GB and 3 x 4 GB memory modules, though an unpopulated slot shouldn't cause crashes.

Which memory sticks are the new ones? People won't be able to help without details of the relevant components such as processor model, motherboard, and RAM, at minimum.

Are you really running 5 sticks of ram? that is either gonna put you in dual channel mode on a triple channel system or single channel mode if you have a dual channel ram system. either way this is a good way to lose ram bandwidth.

The instability could be due to a mismatch in the ram timings or perhaps you have a bad stick of ram. You could try testing the ram individually and see if it passes mem test.
Did you pass memtest and or aida memory / cache tests prior to getting your new ram with only the 2x4 sticks? if so then likely not a CPU problem.
Your Pagefile size should be 1.5 to 2x the size of your memory pool so If you had that too low then it really might have been the cause for your crashing in kingdom but I am not sure about that game as I don't have experience with it.

Questions I would ask is do you get any crashes in any of the other software you are running including the game that was giving you problems before you added more ram? If the only thing crashing is the memory test then you may be ok to do nothing! me personally I would test the ram individually starting but I would probably start with just the 2x4 stick to see if those pass memtest and go from there.

Its X58 triple channel system. Am tried hybrid Frankenstein triple channel setup, giving 11gb.

Master1 4gb
Slave1 1gb

M2 4gb
S2 1gb

M3 1gb
S3 empty

Taco has xeon x5670 in asus p6t deluxe. Cnt get memtest started with 4gb modules, even single 4gb stick won't start. When tried 1gb sticks, o ly 1 stick would let memtest start, nd even then is all weird info, like cpu was showing i9 2600 nd ddr3-4133 when in reality, is ddr3-1067. So co fused!! Also aids show error when run memory nd cache stress.

Prime95 runs fine even with Frankenstein triple channel setup, no crashes. Cinebench gives goid results co sistenctly.

Taco think is problem in kindgoe come deliverance with low page file because I had 2gb pagefile, nd every once in a while it would be "memory allocation 174758382 bytes failed".

Yesterday taco set 4gb pagefile nd no crashes yesterday. I plan to try reinstall(add) 1gb sticks nd see what happns now.

Thats a pretty old setup so any mumber of things could be causing instability in he memtest. I am pretty sure by the description of your setup that its actually running in dual channel mode but that is gonna be the best you can manage based on the mismatched ram you are using.

Basically your board has 2 separate "channels" that are 3 dims so tripple channel. If you only run 2 dims in one of the channels I believe that is going to force it to run dual channel across the board but the only way to fix that would be to get another stick of 4GB.

I would run the 2x4 sticks in the first two red slots from the CPU and then put the 3x1 in the black slots. This way you are keeping the same memory type and size within the same channel.

Like this:

download (1).jpg

But at the end of the day keep your eyes open on your local Market as you can find DDR3 pretty cheap and if you could pick up a single 4GB stick you could use that to populate all the reds slots (3x4) for 12GB and that would give you triple channel

And again if Its not crashing in the programs or the games you run then probably not worth worrying about it not passing memtest unless you are running "mission critical" type stuff on that rig.

Red1 4gb 1333
Black1 1gb 1067

Red2 4gb 1333
Blk2 1gb 1067

Red3 1gb 1067. [[[Edit: okay, I see what you meant...I needed to stick thos ram into black slot instead. Thankyou, I will try, edit]]]
Blk3 -empty-
Yeah, that's right (the part in your edit): the 1 GB module should be moved from Red3 to Black3.

The motherboard should automatically adjust the memory settings to the lowest common speed.

Nd taco was actually running them at 1600, sry forgot to mention, but 1gb sticks are blo9dy fantastic overclocked! Actually even better tha those 4gb sticks! (But I tried dropping it all to 1333 nd even 1067 to see if memtest would start, no goid still, memtest crash)

What is the rated speed of the memory chips?

Taco has xeon x5670 in asus p6t deluxe. Cnt get memtest started with 4gb modules, even single 4gb stick won't start. When tried 1gb sticks, o ly 1 stick would let memtest start, nd even then is all weird info, like cpu was showing i9 2600 nd ddr3-4133 when in reality, is ddr3-1067. So co fused!! Also aids show error when run memory nd cache stress.

An i9-2600? That's weird. The 6-core consumer Gulftown (edit: reworded as Westmere-EP was always a server/Xeon code name) processors were originally going to be marketed as Core i9s according to Wikipedia. Coincidence? Do you have the latest Asus MB firmware installed?

Last edited:
Okay, so everything is okay taco thinks. Me nd henry played few hours nd having a ball!! No crashes for now! Yaay 11gb random ram!!

Funny thing happn lol, heney went to bed because taco wanted to sleep and save. Apparently, taco took wrong bed nd got woken up at like midnight by Theresa's uncle! He was yelling am in wrong place nd got no business herr!!

Taco was co fused until turned around nd saw theresa sleeping in that bed. From taco understanding heres what happn. Taco took wrong bed nd theresa laid on top of taco nd thn uncle saw nd didnt like it. Theresa actually didnt seem to mind. Hmm

Anyways, blimey, this is so much fun! Although very overwhelming by amount of stuff to do. This must be why need lots of ram.

Arrivederci!!
I have no idea wtf you just said...

Am sorry, mixed up numbers, taco has the one that's most very latest. Thank you!! Taco decided to update firmware few years ago when she got her xeon cou to make sure no incompatibility. Unfortunately that made my lights lock out since taco had alie ware modified bios before nd now is completely only asus. Am cry little bit every time I want to change lights nd cnt.

Do you still have the old Alienware BIOS?

Back