Memtest Test #2 Errors At First; Then Disappeard; Am I Okay?

WolfpupNX

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

Weird problem. I got a Memtest error with a new RAM configuration, but only first run, and only briefly, and can't reproduce it now.

X48 Motherboard (ASUS P5E3 WiFi @P). I'd been trying some different RAM kits trying to find one both fast and stable. Had a stick die of one brand, so trying this other kit (slower but I've had better luck with it). It's a Kingston 1600 MHz one (9-9-9-27) at 2 x 2GB.

When I first set it up, set DRAM to 1.9 voltes (maximum supported voltage for this kit) and the timings to stock as listed above; left the rest to auto. Voltages all auto except NorthBridge - when I was testing with this kit before, it seemed stable at 1.55 but not at Auto, so I'm sticking with the higher NB since apparently this motherboard likes that.

Anyways, booted into Memtest, and it almost immediately got errors on Test 2 (about 5 of them all at once). I immediately went back into the BIOS and set DRAM voltage to Auto. Error disappeared. Also removed and reseated both modules. Then tested at 1.9V and again at Auto. Errors disappeared.

I decided to stick with Auto for the time being and tested again - 30 complete passes (15 hours or so) with no errors whatsover.

Should I be concerned about the brief Test 2 errors I saw as long as they don't reoccur? Any ideas what might have caused it? I think I was putting the case back on and doing a bit of cable organizing in there at the time but shouldn't have affected anything. Conceivable I touched the mouse/keyboard too (as it's on the floor next to the system right now), but not likely. Thanks!

Make sure you are running the extended test. It should be in the options. Leave it running for at least 6 hours. Hell, turn it on and go to bed. The extended test finds errors basic does not, and I know this first hand.

Thanks for the tip - I'll have to give that a shot for at least a while though it scares me (I really want to start using this thing - lol). =oP. Heh - but I am really wondering why I had errors briefly and they disappeared. Hopefully just a seating issue or something I did when messing with the case.

Right now doing 24 hours of Prime95 and may try this extended test after. Any other feedback definitely appreciated!

Here's the latest:

Prime95 ran 26 1/2 hours with no errors!

After that, booted up Memtest86+ and did 6 hours of the Bit Fade Test (which I assume is the extended test you're speaking of?) Perfect.

Then I ran OCCT for 1 hour. Perfect.

As we speak, running the Furmark torture test for 1 hour.

Think I'm okay then and just shouldn't worry about that very early anomaly?

Just as an update, I was successful on the following (no errors):

- 30 passes of Memtest86+ (15+ hours)
- 2 passes (6 hours) Memtest86+ Bit Fade Test
- 2 passes (several hours) Windows Vista Memory Tester Extended Test
- 26 1/2 hours of Prime95 Blend on 4 Cores
- 1 Hour OCCT Auto Test
- 4 Hour OCCT Custom Test
- SuperPi 32 Million Digit Calculation (crashed once, but tied that to a Vista issue after doing a search as the program actually stopped working instead of making a math error - ran it multiple times after I got it working to verify it could do it)
- 1 Hour Furmark Xtreme Burning Stress Test
- 1 Hour Furmark Fullscreen Normal Test
- Passed Windows Experience Index @ 5.9 Everything

I think it's pretty safe to say at this point this thing's stable. Hell, it even comes out of standby/sleep. Never had a computer that could successfully do that before. =oP

Back