Memtest Error after 12 hours

Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
I picked up some used RAM on Ebay to add to my son's PC.

His PC is a Phenom 9600BE. He has two 1GB sticks of GeIL Black Dragon DDR2 800 at 4-4-4.

I bought two 1GB sticks of OCZ Platinum Rev2 4-4-4 RAM to add to his PC.

I ran Memtest86+ before I put the new ram in, and it ran for a whole day with no errors.

I then added the two sticks of OCZ that I bought. I ran Memtest 86+ and it ran fine, but when I woke up, it had 12 errors that had all the occurred in the same time frame after the test had run for about 12hrs or so. It had run for another 2 hours after those errors with no further errors.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Try using hci memory test in windows.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

And since the free version limits the size of the allocation run multiple simultaneous copies so that you cover most of your ram.

This generally finds bad ram faster. Let this run for 1 hour.

Also is all the ram the same voltage? Is it all 1.8V?

I will have to check the voltage when I get back at home. I have that option in the BIOS set to Auto.

The GeIL RAM is speced for operation of 1.9V - 2.4V
The OCZ RAM is speced for operation of 1.9V - 2.1V

I am gonna go out on a limb and guess that the setting of the voltage on Auto is 1.8v?

Try using hci memory test in windows.

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

And since the free version limits the size of the allocation run multiple simultaneous copies so that you cover most of your ram.

This generally finds bad ram faster. Let this run for 1 hour.

Also is all the ram the same voltage? Is it all 1.8V?

:eek: wow didnt even know that existed. Currently downloading thanks dude

It seems to find ram problems more quickly than memtest86+ because it puts more stress on the ram since you are running an os and multiple threads while testing the ram. This however can not tell you what ram address is bad.

Update...

Got home tonight, 11 hours + on the Memtest 86+ timer and no errors.

I rebooted... the BIOS was set to AUTO which is 1.8V on the DIMM... I bumped it up to 2.0v and booted into Windows.

I am now running four instances of the program linked above. Zero Errors.

MemTest sucks, only not as much as you'd expect for a Windows-based memory test.

MemTest+ [EDIT: MemTest86+] is supposed to be good, but I've found more errors with MemTest86, even though MemTest+ [EDIT: MemTest86+] is based on it.

I've never heard of MemTest86+. [EDIT: because I am ignorant]

Adding more memory loads down the memory bus bus more and makes the signals turn on and off less abruptly, leaving less time for the memory to respond. Many BIOSes automatically compensate by slowing the timings or increasing signal strength, but sometimes you have to set the parameters manually.

I don't trust memory made with no-name chips, especially if it's rated for higher than normal voltage (1.80V is normal for DDR2 ). I have some OCZ Gold PC6400 rated for 5-5-5-15, but it can't be overclocked as much as my no-heatsink Samsung modules rated for 6-6-6-18.

Last edited:
MemTest sucks, only not as much as you'd expect for a Windows-based memory test.

MemTest+ is supposed to be good, but I've found more errors with MemTest86, even though MemTest+ is based on it.

I've never heard of MemTest86+.

Adding more memory loads down the memory bus bus more and makes the signals turn on and off less abruptly, leaving less time for the memory to respond. Many BIOSes automatically compensate by slowing the timings or increasing signal strength, but sometimes you have to set the parameters manually.

I don't trust memory made with no-name chips, especially if it's rated for higher than normal voltage (1.80V is normal for DDR2 ). I have some OCZ Gold PC6400 rated for 5-5-5-15, but it can't be overclocked as much as my no-heatsink Samsung modules rated for 6-6-6-18.

There is no such thing as Memtest+, it's called Memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/

Back